Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 16

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 19:10:19

Newfie wrote:
I am pretty sure there will be a deep population drop.

I think the only significant population drop we will see will be from the continued decline in fertility rates. I do not see much in the way of famine or pandemics or climate change or wars actually putting that much of a dent in the population.

Kudzu Ape is so very much like a cockroach. You are underestimating the resiliency of the Cockroach Ape...

BY the way, did you know that cockroaches and termites are actually related in their evolutionary lineage?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach

Cockroaches are members of the order Blattodea, which includes the termites, a group of insects once thought to be separate from cockroaches.

Some species, such as the gregarious German cockroach, have an elaborate social structure involving common shelter, social dependence, information transfer and kin recognition.

When Wilson wrote the book on Eusocial similarities between ants and humans he actually should have used the cockroach as the comparison. It is so much a better fit !

Oh geez, I feel my misanthropic gene being tickled again!
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 22:21:55

yeah, dont know what you have been drinking, some of that Dominica bush rum maybe. LOL

You will come around soon enough I imagine.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby The_Toecutter » Sun 07 Feb 2021, 02:15:50

The unnecessary felling of a tree, perhaps the old growth of centuries, seems to me a crime little short of murder. ~Thomas Jefferson
The_Toecutter
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jawagord » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 11:49:01

It's running away alright! For posterity to balance the usual summertime posting hysteria over high temperatures, there remains lots of cold, winter hasn't gone away and isn't going away.

Environment Canada says 15 new record lows were set in Alberta on Monday due to an “unseasonably cold” arctic ridge of high pressure.

This is in addition to 26 records that were broken over the weekend, the national weather agency said.

Of the 15 communities with new record lows on Monday, the coldest was in Red Deer, which saw temperatures drop to -43.9 C — breaking the city’s previous record of -40.6 C, set back in 1936.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topst ... r-BB1dzoty
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Runaway Global Warming - Has Arrived pt 16

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 22:28:19

The thing that surprises me as the "resilient ridge" that caused the last California drought has not been repeated. I remember lots of people posting at the time that the ridge was the reason the midwest had so many bitter winter storms because it opened the center of the country up to huge Arctic air masses.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 23:41:28

jawagord wrote:It's running away alright! For posterity to balance the usual summertime posting hysteria over high temperatures, there remains lots of cold, winter hasn't gone away and isn't going away.

Environment Canada says 15 new record lows were set in Alberta on Monday due to an “unseasonably cold” arctic ridge of high pressure.

This is in addition to 26 records that were broken over the weekend, the national weather agency said.

Of the 15 communities with new record lows on Monday, the coldest was in Red Deer, which saw temperatures drop to -43.9 C — breaking the city’s previous record of -40.6 C, set back in 1936.

Weather vs climate!

Yiu need to try to understand how the various circulation patterns work.

Basically what is happening is that the Arctic circulation pattern is breaking down. Thus this cold air is escaping from that circulation. The Arctic gets shots of warm air and the lower latiduxes get shots of cold air.

Overall its mind of like a blender, bad analogy, the hot and cold air streams are mixing with the overall average creeping up.

Yo can not understand it from a weather perspective but from a long term system perspective.

A great resource to visualize this is Earth nullschool.

This is a pretty screwed up pattern, but not the worse.

It may not mean much if you have not followed what it should look like.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dissident » Mon 22 Feb 2021, 17:06:26

Subjectivist wrote:The thing that surprises me as the "resilient ridge" that caused the last California drought has not been repeated. I remember lots of people posting at the time that the ridge was the reason the midwest had so many bitter winter storms because it opened the center of the country up to huge Arctic air masses.

That analysis is somewhat missing the boat. It is the western cordillera that results in the south-east deflection of the middle latitude zonal flow thanks to PV column compression. The flow timescales are typically fast enough that any sort of diabatic adjustment does not kick in and PV is conserved by the flow. Compression of the air column decreases PV in a column of air and gives rise to a vorticity change in the counterclockwise direction causing the flow to deflect North. On the lee side, the columns expand and PV increases so the vorticity change is clockwise causing a deflection South. The Appalachians produce as similar deflection effect but less intense.

The Northward deflection of the zonal flow and the subsequent deflection south sets up a tap into the high latitude cold air mass. This gives the mid-west in the USA and Canada its cold continental climate. Any high pressure ridge associated with the west coast acts like topography itself since it means that the geopotential surfaces are elevated. This way such ridges only contribute to the effect of the mountains. This extra effective topography does not transition the polar air mass flow on the lee side of the Rockies into something special and extra cold. The mess this winter has been due to a warm block on sitting over the North Atlantic extending over the Arctic. As result more cold air has been deflected south.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jawagord » Mon 22 Feb 2021, 17:52:04

Newfie wrote:
jawagord wrote:It's running away alright! For posterity to balance the usual summertime posting hysteria over high temperatures, there remains lots of cold, winter hasn't gone away and isn't going away.

Weather vs climate!

Yiu need to try to understand how the various circulation patterns work.

Basically what is happening is that the Arctic circulation pattern is breaking down. Thus this cold air is escaping from that circulation. The Arctic gets shots of warm air and the lower latiduxes get shots of cold air.

Overall its mind of like a blender, bad analogy, the hot and cold air streams are mixing with the overall average creeping up.

Yo can not understand it from a weather perspective but from a long term system perspective.

A great resource to visualize this is Earth nullschool.

This is a pretty screwed up pattern, but not the worse.

It may not mean much if you have not followed what it should look like.

I agree, it’s just weather. I post these examples to counter the idiots that trumpet every high temperature or drought or flood as climate change. The “polar vortex” is the latest climate cliche, trying to make what is a normal winter occurrence seem like a consequence of human greenhouse gas emissions.

You probably can’t understand this unless you study the history of weather and look back farther than 1980.

Over 115 years ago, a cold wave that would become known as the “Great Arctic Outbreak” took the United States by storm. People across the nation braced for the worst as temperatures plummeted throughout the first two weeks of February 1899.

The Great Arctic Outbreak didn’t just bring cold to the nation. It also brought snow and ice and lots of it. By the time blizzard conditions ceased in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, Cape May, New Jersey, record over 30 inches of snow, as did Washington, DC, and Baltimore, Maryland. On February 17, ice was even witnessed flowing down the Mississippi River, past New Orleans, and into the Gulf of Mexico. And, a one-inch thick layer of ice formed at the mouth of the Mississippi in East and Garden Island Bays in Louisiana.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/news/climate- ... ruary-1899
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 25 Feb 2021, 12:33:24

jawagord wrote:
I post these examples to counter the idiots that trumpet every high temperature or drought or flood as climate change.

https://www.climatesignals.org/data/rec ... -low-temps

Record High Temps vs. Record Low Temps

In the United States, the most recent decade (2000-2010) was the nation’s warmest on record. Record-breaking high temperatures are now outnumbering record lows by an average decadal ratio of 2:1. Record highs are occurring more often than record lows due to climate change.

In a stable climate, the ratio of new record highs to new record lows is approximately even. However in our warming climate, record highs have begun to outpace record lows, with the imbalance growing for the past three decades. This trend is one of the clearest signals of climate change that we experience directly.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Thu 25 Feb 2021, 12:49:02

Yeah, its OK for deniers to invoke a local cold spell as "proof" that global warming is a hoax such as they are all doing now, but accounting for the impact of global warming on weather is supposedly nonsense.

If climate had no connection to weather, there would be a logical contradiction and physics would be like voodoo. Climate dynamics pertain to the evolution of the phase space manifold in which all possible weather states associated with the available potential energy (not all thermal energy can be tapped by processes such as baroclinic instability). So it is a trivial consequence of the changing available potential energy that there will be emerging new accessible weather states. This includes their intensity and frequency.

The denier drivel about magic variability shows that they are utterly uninterested in dealing with facts. They are cult freaks trying to foist their perverted belief system on everyone else. Change in variability is directly related to the energy state of the global air-water-land system. The breakdown of the polar front jet thanks to the loss of sea ice is the key factor in the Texas weather anomaly. The warm block of the Arctic would not have been there back in the 1980s. ENSO does not account for this feature.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 00:13:25

There's still climate deniers? I thought the last one, Junkie Rush Limbaugh croaked last week? Awwwww how sad for all his little fanboys:(
Where will they get their 'science' from now that their fat source is dead?
Woe, I grieve with you denier boys :(
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 00:40:26

long predicted knock on effect.

Taiwan's chip industry under threat as drought turns critical

TSMC and UMC activate water-supply plans as reservoirs face depletion in 60 days

"Climate change is dynamic and we have to always think ahead for the worst-case scenario. The government has been preparing for this and trying to increase supply since last year but we also need not just the suppliers but everyone in the nation to help conserve water, as the resources are limited and precious," Lai said.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/S ... -critical2
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 00:55:21

[*]New heat record set for the fourth consecutive day: 18.4° C recorded in Brussels

https://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels- ... -brussels/

Hey, any of you deniers have a link to a paper or an interview where a scientist claimed winter and/or a low temperature record will dissappear due to AGW?

No you don't because no scientist ever claimed such a thing.

So why do you keep bringing it up?

Cheap lazy tired strawman. 3rd grade remedial level
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 01:11:38

NOAA study: Most of the years in next decade very likely to rank as Top 10 warmest years

“In other words,” the authors wrote, “given historical observations (including the most recent ones), can we assume that near-record annual rankings are already ‘baked into the cake’ for the next several years?”

The warmest years globally have all occurred since 2005, with the top ten being 2016, 2020, 2019, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2014, 2010, 2013 and 2005 (tied), respectively.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/projected-ranks
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aadbrd » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 09:01:57

jawagord wrote:The “polar vortex” is the latest climate cliche

Great. More boilerplate denialism talking points.

How long before you bring up solar flares?
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 17:38:14

Wild swings in a system - not a good sign.

Dallas sees 80-plus degree temp swing in just 1 week

The warming trend continued to ramp up early in the week. On Monday, Feb. 22, the temperature in Rapid City, South Dakota, soared to 57 degrees in the afternoon after bottoming out at 24 degrees below zero last week, making for an 81-degree temperature swing.

The temperature in Dallas bottomed out at 2 below zero on Feb. 16 and reached a high of just 18 that day. With the high temperature soaring to 81 on Feb. 23, people in Big D felt a big temperature swing of 83 degrees exactly a week later.

https://news.yahoo.com/dallas-sees-70-p ... 00554.html
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 23:27:25

"A new Cold War on a scalding planet: Biden, Climate Change, and China"
https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/02/26 ... and-china/

While I disagree with the geopolitical views of the author, which are Western biased, I still think that this is a very interesting article with a very reasonable conclusion. I think the author's point could be taken further; I believe that the USA needs to give up on its imperial ambitions completely for humanity's fight against Global Warming to progress faster.

We, as a species, should be investing the resources we are investing in weapons, wars, duplicate supply chains, trade wars, etc. in research and development of renewable energy, population reduction, education, environmental restoration, etc.

Imagine how much more money we could invest in making things better instead of making things worse if we could all live in peace and work on these issues together in a cooperative way, instead of competing for domination and control over others.

This article will be particularly interesting for those of you who believe that humanity still has time to deal with these issues. I find the whole thing very interesting, but completely unrealistic, but that's just me.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby aadbrd » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 12:22:11

Those who have expressed a desire to travel once COVID eases should think twice if they genuinely care about the planet.

https://www.vox.com/22291568/climate-ch ... gap-report

one round-trip medium-haul flight burns 30 percent of an annual “fair share” (a long-haul, 90 percent).
aadbrd
Permanently Banned

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 01 Mar 2021, 03:12:59

So, this is already happening and having an effect. GW is not letting anything go unchanged except mankind's unwillingness to change it's ways.

Atlantic Ocean circulation is the weakest in at least 1,600 years, study finds
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-atlantic-ocean-gulf-stream-system-amoc-weakest-1600-years/
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Tue 09 Mar 2021, 17:17:08

Arctic ocean was much warmer than average during February

Scientists have linked this warming to extreme weather events elsewhere in the world, including the blast of cold air that swept out of Canada and deep into the US south in the middle of last month, causing an energy crisis in Texas.

https://www.livemint.com/news/world/arc ... 71017.html
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate