Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 17 Feb 2020, 23:32:04

frankthetank wrote:Not sure how big of an issue this will be but it would appear with current battery tech..at least with Tesla..they limit supercharging speeds after x amount of hours of supercharging....

Not being sure of the facts or chemistry I'm just guessing here but I expect it is an issue that will fade away as the charger network both public and private gets built out. Most buyers will install a charger set up at home or avail themselves of a charger where they park their car while working (a nice perk to attract top level employees)so the need for rapid charging will decline to just those making long trips. The average car will drive it's usual average 50 miles a day or less and get topped off slow charge while the owner is ether working or sleeping and seldom if ever get down to less then 50 percent charge.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 18 Feb 2020, 16:34:04

Charging stations are really more important for lower range EVs. Once you have 200+ miles the odds of being low on juice during normal daily driving is low. And really I don't know how much road tripping anyone really does. I think a lot of Tesla owners decide to road trip only because the charging network is there, almost as a novelty or stunt, rather than it being something they would normally do with a gas car.

And the problem with lower range EVs is they also tend to have really slow charge speeds. There's a case to be made for budget EVs that intentionally have low compliance-car ranges as long as they can take in a fast charge. Then instead of carrying along that huge battery they can lean hard on fast charging. If that were to save thousands of dollars in purchase price it would be a real boon to consumers. However, I doubt that we'll see much of a market open up for <200 mile EVs. As it is now, the compliance cars that are out there are going to be waiting at charging stations for quite some time. So you can get where you need to go all right--in exchange for time wasted.

Where I see things settling out in the next 5-10 years is the lowest end EVs will have at least 200 miles range and 100kw charge speeds. The VW MEB cars will be like this. Anything less than this will go down as "transitional" tech. (TBH, that includes my Kona which maxes out at 78kw at the peak of its charge cycle.)

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 18 Feb 2020, 20:48:02

asg70 wrote: There's a case to be made for budget EVs that intentionally have low compliance-car ranges as long as they can take in a fast charge. Then instead of carrying along that huge battery they can lean hard on fast charging.

I'm not buying that one. Nobody wants to spend any time mid trip waiting for the car to charge fast or not. Cars that can go the full distance will prevail and anything less will become just a footnote to the EV evolution history.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 05:52:41

May I propose a resurrection of the 1950s style drive in restaurant. You will pull into your parking spot and the attendant/waitress will plug you in before taking your food order. In the forty minutes it takes them to serve your meal and pick up the tray when you are done your Tesla will have picked up 240 miles of charge. The ten dollars worth of electricity (@0.10/KWH) would get rolled into your meal and gratuity.
If we get to truly autonomous driving cars they might add potent potables to the menu. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 07:46:00

That’s actually a pretty good idea.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 08:00:06

Newfie wrote:That’s actually a pretty good idea.

Why thanks.
I'm thinking beach resorts in the summer with the waitresses in shorty shorts and halter tops to bring in sexist old codgers like myself. I suppose that would not fly today but it was nice when we had it. 8)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 11:52:37

Well, by some miracle Hooters is still in business. For how long I dunno. They got sold over the summer.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 13:09:00

vtsnowedin wrote:
glaucus wrote:Tesla has been moving in the right direction lately (stock-wise).

I see the stock moving ahead due to Tesla's recent improvement in production and meeting goals (if a lot late in some cases). Opening that factory in China and the introduction of the Cyber truck all point to a profitable future at the lead of the EV industry. I don't see it going to $1500 but I don't think it will tank anytime soon.

Its already at $1000. Admit it, you and rockdoc are laughing stocks and I am right.

Ford continues to go down.

"Renewables" is killing the Oil Industry.

Its all CCP fraud and you don't care.
Outcast_Searcher is a fraud.
StarvingLion
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 19 Feb 2020, 16:58:13

StarvingLion wrote:Its already at $1000. Admit it, you and rockdoc are laughing stocks and I am right.

No, it's not at $1000. When you can't even quote the current price to the nearest $100, it's amusing that you jump on others if their forecast doesn't happen right away.

Meanwhile, reality matters. What's your track record re your calls on this site? I'd say 1% accuracy is about right. Whether your call re TSLA pricing ends up being a rare correct call in 2020 REMAINS TO BE SEEN.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby jawagord » Wed 18 Mar 2020, 22:58:38

StarvingLion wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
glaucus wrote:Tesla has been moving in the right direction lately (stock-wise).

I see the stock moving ahead due to Tesla's recent improvement in production and meeting goals (if a lot late in some cases). Opening that factory in China and the introduction of the Cyber truck all point to a profitable future at the lead of the EV industry. I don't see it going to $1500 but I don't think it will tank anytime soon.

Its already at $1000. Admit it, you and rockdoc are laughing stocks and I am right.

Ford continues to go down.

"Renewables" is killing the Oil Industry.

Its all CCP fraud and you don't care.

It’s come off a bit in the past 30 days. Elon must have an “essential” production bonus to hit this quarter?

Tesla Stock Round Trips
Tesla stock fell 16% to 361.22. That pushed TSLA stock below its 200-day line and the psychologically "funding secured" level of 420 cleared at the start of the year. Tesla stock skyrocketed 168% from a December breakout to a record 968.99 on Feb. 4. But now TSLA stock has completely round-tripped to close below the 361.30 buy point.

The Tesla Fremont plant continued auto production on Wednesday, defying a government order to shut down. On Monday, Alameda County was one of the Bay Area governments issuing a "stay in place" order to slow the coronavirus spread. It barred residents from working outside the home except for "essential" jobs such as police and health care.

After CEO Elon Musk kept the Tesla Fremont plant running Tuesday, the Alameda County Sheriff stated in an official tweet that the plant specifically was not "essential," and that it must close except for basic functions such as payroll. But the Fremont plant kept operating on Wednesday, with Tesla telling employees that production was "essential."

https://www.investors.com/market-trend/ ... ft-amazon/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 07:04:40

The big three are shutting plants and looking for a handout. Musk is making sure he gets equal treatment.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 17:02:00

How long until Tesla issues even more stock to keep the company afloat.........again. :roll:
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 20:28:15

Plantagenet wrote:How long until Tesla issues even more stock to keep the company afloat.........again. :roll:

But now, what a great excuse! He should try to raise $10 to $20 billion. But of course, that would have been a HELL of a lot easier with the stock at $900ish, and people bullish on the business and the economy looking healthy.

Now, NOT SO MUCH.

I worry some about the health of an outfit like Toyota if this gets really bad and lasts 18 months to 2 years. Imagine how hard that would be on an outfit as rickety as Tesla.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 20:43:41

Tesla has started furloughing non-essential workers and and cutting the salary of those who remain on salary

tesla-furloughs-half-its-entire-us-sales-and-delivery-staff

Does anyone know if Tesla is getting any of the Federal bailout money to help keep it afloat here during the virus shutdown? I'm willing to bet Elon would be willing to give the federal government shares of the company in return for a bailout about now.......

Looks like its time to bailout out the auto companies again. Presumably TESLA will get in on the bailouts this time........

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 Apr 2020, 00:04:24

Elon Musk denounced the covid-19 social distancing rules in California as "fascist" because they have forced his car factory to close.

Its Elon Musk vs. Covid virus Fascism in California

tesla-elon-musk-slams-fascist-social-distancing-measures-in-rant-about-production

I must say I'm sympathetic to Musk's point of view on this one.

Musk says the closure of the Tesla factory is "putting his company at risk." AND He's right and he's not alone---the entire US economy is being trashed by the shutdown.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 02 May 2020, 19:17:36

Plantagenet wrote:Elon Musk denounced the covid-19 social distancing rules in California as "fascist" because they have forced his car factory to close.

Its Elon Musk vs. Covid virus Fascism in California

tesla-elon-musk-slams-fascist-social-distancing-measures-in-rant-about-production

I must say I'm sympathetic to Musk's point of view on this one.

Musk says the closure of the Tesla factory is "putting his company at risk." AND He's right and he's not alone---the entire US economy is being trashed by the shutdown.

Fortunately, most people care more about peoples' lives than making folks like Musk even MORE $billions.

Society is going to be COMPROMISING as it opens up, and safety is going to be a BIG part of that.

And clowns like Californians crowding public beaches against government mandate are going to SLOW the opening up process, so there's that. Maybe Musk should call THEM fascist. :lol:

Folks like Musk can deal with it, or get out of their business, because the law is NOT going to allow Musk to do whatever the hell he pleases, although he's already (blatantly illegally) tried that, and got shut down by force in Freemont.

Fortunately, as an American, he's free to whine about it all he wants.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 02 May 2020, 19:22:39

Plantagenet wrote:Tesla has started furloughing non-essential workers and and cutting the salary of those who remain on salary

tesla-furloughs-half-its-entire-us-sales-and-delivery-staff

Does anyone know if Tesla is getting any of the Federal bailout money to help keep it afloat here during the virus shutdown? I'm willing to bet Elon would be willing to give the federal government shares of the company in return for a bailout about now.......

Looks like its time to bailout out the auto companies again. Presumably TESLA will get in on the bailouts this time........

Cheers!

Tesla does a fantastic job getting all the unearned income from the government it possibly can. It earned about $4000 per car delivered for EV credits in the quarter just ended (a record high), for example. Without that, it would have had a LARGE loss. So I'm sure that any freebies the government might offer car companies re a bailout, Musk will be in line early and often.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby REAL Green » Sat 02 May 2020, 20:46:55

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Tesla does a fantastic job getting all the unearned income from the government it possibly can. It earned about $4000 per car delivered for EV credits in the quarter just ended (a record high), for example. Without that, it would have had a LARGE loss. So I'm sure that any freebies the government might offer car companies re a bailout, Musk will be in line early and often.

This is what might make Musk untouchable as far as financial risk. He has connections in the right places:

“SPACEX: CAMEL’S NOSE UNDER THE TENT OF SPACE MILITARIZATION”
https://southfront.org/spacex-space-militarization/

“Musk’s fantasies about colonizing Mars and selling seats on orbital space flights proved a very effective cover for the corporation’s core military applications. Moreover, Space-X’s status as a private corporation allows it to defray some of the research and development costs through genuine commercial activities. Yet one has to wonder whether SpaceX success would have been as spectacular if it weren’t for privileged access to government facilities. SpaceX has been able to piggy-back on the massive US government investment in space launch facilities. It is able to operate out of not only Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center, but even from the Vandenberg Air Force Base. The speed with which SpaceX was able to develop, test, and deploy several different new rocket engine design of the Kestrel, Merlin, Raptor, and Draco families also may be due to privileged access to technologies developed for NASA and military space programs.”
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 09 May 2020, 14:24:34

California shut Tesla down and then Elon tried to open back up and California just shut them down again.

Now Elon is mad. You don't want to make Elon mad.

final-straw-elon-musk-says-hes-suing-alameda-county-moving-tesla-texas-

You'd think California would support Elon's efforts to get his factory going again.

Personally, I think its a mistake for California not to be more supportive of Tesla---they are close to driving away Elon and his gold mine.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sat 09 May 2020, 14:51:29

Be it Tesla, SpaceX, whatever, Musk is doing a fine job of doing what most of corporate America has been doing for many decades. The Military industrial Complex (Boeing? Lockheed Martin, NG ......), Big Ag (you don't see Monsanto or ConAgra lobbying against farm subsidies or SNAP do you?), Big Oil,,,,,.
Yeah, Musk has played the same game while putting a face on it and creating a cult of personality. Meanwhile, his rockets are as cool as it gets, and they actually work better at a fraction of the cost.

Stick the landing?
Who TF else even tries that sort of thing?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology