Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 16:37:35

Newfie wrote:VT,

I’m not seeing it on Fox or Realclearpolitics either.

I picked it off Drudge. They also have a story that Muller may have nothing to report which would back up that claim but it is quotes from a former Trump lawyer who claims to know the entirety of the evidence.
Of course if it didn't happen then no amount of investigating will make to have happened.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby careinke » Wed 13 Feb 2019, 19:55:52

Newfie wrote:VT,

I’m not seeing it on Fox or Realclearpolitics either.

Tucker had it on Fox last night.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Feb 2019, 09:33:10

Effing news. Apparently California cancelled or now “cut back” their High Speed Rail but that seems to be getting little air play.

We are soooo manipulated.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 10:52:33

Newfie wrote:Effing news. Apparently California cancelled or now “cut back” their High Speed Rail but that seems to be getting little air play.

I must note that the news media is almost entirely capitalist. Yet the capitalists that run many news-media companies do not want to make their news media slavishly follow the party line of the Republican Party. What is causing this gigantic market failure?
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 10:55:51

Most of the MSM, although capitalist in nature are very much liberal and Democratic in their personal persuasion. Crony capitalism prevails but only the correct(Democratic Party) type of crony capitalism.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 11:14:10

Newfie wrote:Effing news. Apparently California cancelled or now “cut back” their High Speed Rail but that seems to be getting little air play.

Aside from much of the news media not following the Republican party line, despite it being mostly capitalist, I note that this news story must compete with a lot of other news stories for attention.

I also note High-Speed Rail Authority CEO Brian Kelly’s Statement on Governor Newsom’s State of the State Address. The will continue work on the Central-Valley part of the line, and get HSR operational there. They will also continue work on planning the rest of the system, and they will seek Federal and private funding for it.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 15:35:56

lpetrich wrote: California ... will continue work on the Central-Valley part of the line, and get HSR operational there.

Who in their right mind would spend billions to build a HSR line that only goes 100 miles from Bakersfield to Merced? Is there really enough travel between Bakersfield and Merced to justify building a HSR system just for them?

Obviously cancelling work on 90% of the California HSR system is a major setback. The small segment Governor Newsome says he will continue work on doesn't make any sense by itself. There is almost ZERO demand for HSR between Merced and Bakersfield. Anyone can see that. IMHO the Ds in California will eventually cancel this little remnant of the project as well.

IMHO the Ds in California just made a huge mistake. They talk a good game when it comes to decarbonizing their economy, when it comes time to actually step up and do something, they fudge and wimp out. Its same the thing you see with Ds across the country. They SAY they want to stop global warming, but when its time to DO something like instituting a carbon tax or building out HSR they always schedule it for 20-30 years in the future. And then they cancel or postpone it.

In some ways the Ds are worse then the Rs on the issue of global warming. Trump and many Rs come right out and say they don't believe in global warming. But compare that to the Ds.....The Ds are the big liars and hypocrites here....they campaign by saying they will do something about AGW but somehow nothing ever seems to happen when the Ds are in control. How very.......curious.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 17:47:42

Plant,

I agree with you generally. By saying they are doing something, then not, they are leading folks down a false path. But I need to point out something.

It was Republican Govenor Christy who killed the tunnel job into NYC. He figured out that the cost estimates were lies (they were) and NJ was in the hook for any over runs. Estimates back then were around $12.7 billion. They are now North of $30 billion. (The project is back under Federal funding).
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 19:54:45

Newfie wrote:Plant,

I agree with you generally. By saying they are doing something, then not, they are leading folks down a false path. But I need to point out something.

It was Republican Govenor Christy who killed the tunnel job into NYC. He figured out that the cost estimates were lies (they were) and NJ was in the hook for any over runs. Estimates back then were around $12.7 billion. They are now North of $30 billion. (The project is back under Federal funding).

I know you are a rail guy, Newfie, so I acknowledge your superior knowledge on all things to do with trains.

I'm sorry...but I'm not familiar at all with the details of the tunnel into NYC. Was this a tunnel for HSR?

As far as I know there is very little true high speed rail anywhere on the east coast. I think AMTRAK Acela service only gets over 150 mph on a single short mile stretch of track near Providence Rhode Island. I took ACELA from DC up to Philadelphia after one of my meetings at the National Academy of Sciences in DC and it was a nice train, but the train was not very fast and not even close to what they do with HSR in Europe.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 17 Feb 2019, 21:01:15

The tunnels are to augment the existing NEC tunnels crossing from NJ into NYC.

The also have to build a new Portal Bridge.

You are correct, the Amtrak NEC is not HSR. Never will be. The track align Kent is too close together, the turns too tight (hence the tilting cars that can hit one another), ther is no willingness to do the eminent domain confiscation required to fix it. At Metropark, NJ you would have to relocate the Garden State Parkway which is like 10 lanes there.

That’s why when Musk proposed building his system it was to be entirely in tunnels from DC to NYC. Go underneath all the problems.

The Acela from Philly to NYC saves about 15 min. And costs 50% to 100% more. Taking a combination of SEPTA and NJT costs roughly one third. All on the same ROW. Make sense of that!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 03:32:10

I decided to calculate the Philadelphia - New York City travel time.

The stations on each end: Philadelphia 30th St. Station, New York City Penn Station.
I used midday weekday all-stops trains.

SEPTA - NJT: must transfer in Trenton NJ
SEPTA: 50m - $9.25
NJT: 1h 30m - $16.75
Total: at least 2h 30m - $26.00

Amtrak Northeast Regional: 1h 30m - $60.00
Amtrak Acela: 1h 10m - $113.00

Greyhound bus: 3h - $11.00
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 07:13:13

Georgetown University so I assume D’s. The university wants to level 210 acres of forest to built a solar farm. Protected forest.

I wonder how many acres of parking lot Georgetown University has?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 07:16:39

Ipetrich,

Thanks for doing the legwork.

For clarification Amtrak does time of day pricing (rush hour is more) and also the last few tickets can be more. I believe the others are all flat rate, rush hour differences would be greater.

For example tomorrows 7:36 Acela to NY Penn Station is $172.
A tomorrow flight to Boston, Logan is $154.

All one way prices.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 08:06:28

Japan nominated Trump for Nobel Peace Prize after White House request
Japan’s daily newspaper, Asahi Shimbun, citing government sources, reported Sunday that the country’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, nominated Trump for the prestigious award after the White House asked him to.

“I’m not saying (the claim) is untrue,” Abe said during a government budget session meeting on Monday.

link

Trump, what a putz. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 14:54:44

Why is there two threads with the same content?

By the way Cid, the obligatory sorry your girl lost comment.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:30:23

Cid_Yama wrote:What a lazy mind. just accuse anyone you don't agree with, with being a Clinton supporter, even though you have been corrected by others on here repeatedly.

Cid_Yama wrote:
careinke wrote:
Cid_Yama wrote:Carinke, I voted for Nixon (Clean Air and Water, EPA, but subverted Johnson's peace talks, so a mixed bag), Ford (my favorite Republican President after Ike), Reagan, H.W. Bush, and Bob Dole. After which the Banana Republicans came to the fore and started acting like Brown Shirts, showing themselves to be Fascists, and started running real Republicans out of the party. There was no way I was going to support that crap.

I am a Progressive. Think Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life, and Mr. Smith goes to Washington and Gary Cooper in Meet John Doe and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. Real Republican. Who we were before. All by Frank Capra, lifelong Republican. Those movies show what a real Republican is, before the Corporate Fascists stole the party. Seek your roots, find out what a real Republican is.

Banana Republicans like Cog deserve nothing but loathing.

CID thanks for your response. I followed you right up to H W Bush, then I discovered the Libertarian Party and voted for them up until the 2016 election. In 2016 the Libertarian party put up a Republican to run for President. After studying all Presidential candidates for 2016, I decided none were qualified, so I did not vote for President.

Same here. Clinton is a corporatist, there is no way in Hell I would vote for her. And Trump is a Hitler wannabe, but his 5th grade vocabulary and profound ignorance of nearly everything, ensured total incompetence in the office. But he has really, really tried to pull off the fascist dictator thing. All he ended up doing was put himself inextricably under Putin's thumb.

The only reason Trump might make it to 2020, is because the Democrats want HIM to be the Republican candidate. I expect both parties to be fighting against him being deposed before then.

Not that they won't be poking him with sticks until then. :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:43:54

Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 15:50:28

Sinclair Lewis' It can't Happen Here (1935)
Published during the rise of fascism in Europe, the novel describes the rise of Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a demagogue who is elected President of the United States, after fomenting fear and promising drastic economic and social reforms while promoting a return to patriotism and "traditional" values.

Senator Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, a charismatic and power-hungry politician, wins the election as President of the United States on a populist platform, promising to restore the country to prosperity and greatness.

Once in power, however, he becomes a dictator; he outlaws dissent, puts his political enemies in concentration camps, and creates a paramilitary force called the Minute Men who terrorize the citizens. One of his first actions as President is to make changes to the Constitution which give him sole power over the country, rendering Congress obsolete. This is met by protest from the congress as well as outraged citizens, but Windrip declares a state of martial law and, with the help of his Minute Men, throws the protesters in jail. As Windrip dismantles democracy, most Americans either support him and his Corpo Regime wholeheartedly or reassure themselves that fascism "can't happen" in America (hence the book's title).

The Corpo Regime's power slowly starts seeping away and the government desperately tries to find a way to keep the people happy with the Regime. They decide to stir up patriotic fervor by slandering Mexico in the state-run newspapers, deciding an all-out invasion of the country will rally the American people around the government. But the resulting draft of 5 million men for the invasion splits the country into factions: those pro-war and loyal to the Corpo government, and those anti-war who now see that they have been manipulated for years.

link

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross". - Sinclair Lewis

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 16:01:12

I do not know if we have Fascism in the US already or not. But I know we have a Plutocracy and have had it for quite some time. The rule of money
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 18 Feb 2019, 16:18:38

I’ve been discussing this with my Wife a bit. Let’s use this definition.

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of radical authoritarian ultranationalism,[1][2][3][4] characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and strong regimentation of society and of the economy,[5] which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

I could make an argument that Ms. Clinton more resembles a fascist than we would like to admit. Look at the adjectives.

radical authoritarian ultranationalism .. if you take this ultranationalisim as loyalaty to the PARTY, then it has some resemblance. Recall Madeline Albright saying there is a special place in hell for workmen who do not vote for Clinton?

characterized by dictatorial power...the power to Control the party nomination process and squelch any popularity opponent. Obama left the party financially weak, Clinton took over financial controls and directed where state funds would go. Pretty dictirial

forcible suppression of opposition ....look at the FBI and DOJ schneanagans as well as antifa activists.

and strong regimentation of society and of the economy.....GND

I understand I’m proposing a radical view of the situation, yet it bears some consideration. My arguments have some weakness, no doubt, but there is also some truth to it.

By contrast Trump, no matter his DESIRES, has far less opportunity to be such a leader.

MAGA is nationalis no doubt, but he does in a devise way, he alienated a large number of folks

Dictirial power... after the shut down obviously not

Forcible suppression of opposition ... there is plenty of opposition

Regimentation of society and economy... he is not known as a great diruptor for nothing.

My position for arguments sake is if we did have a faxist leaning faction in the USA it is the Clinton lead traditional core of the Democratic Party. Had she won we may have been in far worse shape than we are.

So while we find him uncouth, uncivil, tempestuous, ill advised, and generally obnoxious he may still have been the lessor of 2 evils.

The real question is where do we go from here? The Democrat party seems in disarray with no clear leaders of obvious national standing and merit.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion