Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 06 Jan 2019, 20:45:49

I think for 2020 he should do this

mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 06 Jan 2019, 22:24:44

He could rock a Lex Luthor look no doubt
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 11:18:10

Struck me this was a pretty good article on fact checking.

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ally-jump/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 12 Jan 2019, 11:17:49

Sorry your girl lost.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 17:12:08

In the balance, I decided to use this thread versus the one on immigration, or starting a new one just for the Wall and the Government Shutdown.

I'm stirring the pot on this one, but it's worth your attention. Those of you who saw this information in Sunday's PBS News Hour Weekend can skip ahead, or make sure I get this right. These are the Tohono-O'odham Tribal Lands:
These lands and the indian nation they are from are of course older than either the USA or Mexico. The traditional tribal lands (aka the Tohono-O'odham Nation) sprawl across BOTH the USA (Southern Arizona) and Mexico. The USA has recognized this tribe and reserved some portion of their traditional lands as the Tohono-O'odham Reservation which is located West of Tucson. Mexico does not recognize tribal rights at all. Mexico has also allowed many residences and resorts to be built on the shore of the Sea of Cortez, and prevented the Indians from making any legal claims. (One of my wife's co-workers owns a beachfront residence there.)

The issue is that 75 miles of the border between the USA and Mexico is within the reservation. There is a kind of barrier already, one that prevents vehicles from entering, but does nothing to stop people or contraband:

Now for the controversy. The Tribe maintains that their nation lies in both modern countries, and they do not want a wall. Note that the majority of these Indians (about 5400) live in the USA, some few (about 1500) live on the Mexican side.

Now for some inconvenient truths. The reservation residents are mired in poverty, as is the usual case. For those of you who did not know this, many Indians were actually capable of agriculture, but chose to remain nomadic hunter-gatherers. Culturally the reason for this was rather simple: farming takes a lot of labor, and most Indians totally lack a European-style work ethic. Thus when large numbers of Spanish and English and other European settlers arrived, they reproduced in much greater numbers based on food availability due to agriculture.

Second inconvenient truth: Some of the Tohono-O'odhams are wealthy, and they got that way by smuggling people by the dozens, marijuana by the tons, and Opioid drugs from Mexico into the USA. There is no doubt of this, both the Feds and the Arizona law enforcement have caught and incarcerated hundreds of these Indians.

Now the question becomes: Do we have a wall or not on the 75 mile stretch of border within the reservation? The Tohono-O'odham Chief is adamantly opposed, the Border patrol is just as adamant that the place is a superhighway for smuggling.

Indian rights versus USA security? Or perhaps USA Law Enforcement efforts?
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 17:27:50

Nice question.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 17:59:16

Now the question becomes: Do we have a wall or not on the 75 mile stretch of border within the reservation? The Tohono-O'odham Chief is adamantly opposed, the Border patrol is just as adamant that the place is a superhighway for smuggling.

living in Canada the concept of ...First Nations border communities and smuggling is de rigueur.

I think at one point in time several bands of Mohawks in Quebec had cigarette smuggling as their main cash cow.

the situation in Canada is a bit different than the US but in both countries State and Federal police do not have authority, it belongs to band or tribal police. If they choose to turn a blind eye to crime then it is up to the Feds to prove there has been a Federal offense committed which is difficult if you can't investigate it. At least that is the way I understand it.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 18:08:53

The situation here is different. The Federal Cops supercede the tribal police, but only when they bother to do so. Federal Law enforcement is spread thin, and state enforcement sometimes even thinner. The legal theory is that an Indian Nation wholly contained within a country is part of that country. However many Indian reservations exist across state borders, which tends to hamper state enforcement. All Indians are US citizens and voters.

One exception however is gambling, which the Feds cannot touch within the states and Indian nations. Gambling is the main reservation cash cow.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lpetrich » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 16:09:00

Cog wrote:1) Withdrawal of troops from the Middle East

I thought that deserting one's allies was a bad thing to do. But it's a good thing to do when Trump does it, right?
2) Attempting to de-nuclearize North Korea

The same way that Neville Chamberlain attempted to bring peace to Europe in 1938. He got suckered by Little Rocket Man.
3) Renegotiate trade deals that disfavored the USA

Disfavored in what way?
4) Attempting to control unrestricted illegal immigration to the USA

As if previous presidents have not tried to do that. Obama got called the Deporter in Chief by some pro-immigrant-rights activists. Please try to think of something other than "just following orders" or "it's necessary to break eggs to make an omelet".
5) Appoint conservative judges

I consider that a Bad Thing.
6) Reduce regulations and the size of federal agencies.

Like what?
7) Reduce taxes on all Americans

Mostly for the Republican Party's big donors, it seems.

Yes I'm supposed to believe that Hillary Clinton would have done any of those things instead of enriching herself by way of the Clinton Foundation.

A good description of Trump's presidency.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Wed 16 Jan 2019, 17:27:46

Ipetrich must have spent the day watching Don Lemon on CNN. He has drank his full measure of the Kool-Aid. So when did the Democrat party become the war monger party? I must have missed the memo.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 14:44:38

Cog,

Lay off the TV. Super bad for your health, seriously.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 19:46:57

Newfie wrote:Cog,

Lay off the TV. Super bad for your health, seriously.

I mostly watch old B&W films on TV. I do force myself to watch CNN a half hour a day to see what the enemy is up to.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 18 Jan 2019, 20:39:08

Sorry, miss read your prior. I thought it was you watching TV all day.

I’ve been working my ass off, I need a vacation from retirement.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 19 Jan 2019, 08:19:55

Newfie wrote:Sorry, miss read your prior. I thought it was you watching TV all day.

I’ve been working my ass off, I need a vacation from retirement.

:-D :o :lol: 8)
Getting some of the same here as well.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 27 Jan 2019, 04:23:02

Cog wrote:I mostly watch old B&W films on TV. I do force myself to watch CNN a half hour a day to see what the enemy is up to.

The Capitalist News Network?

If CNN is such a great villain, then it not going broke must be a big market failure.

Getting back on the subject of pResident Trump, he recently ended a 5-week partial government shutdown with a 3-week restart. What happened?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi stood firm and refused to budge. She would not allow him to give a State of the Union address during the shutdown. That got him by a very vulnerable spot: his narcissism.

Air traffic controllers were starting to refuse to work for nothing with no end in sight, causing airport slowdowns and delays, like at NYC's LaGuardia Airport.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sun 27 Jan 2019, 05:10:05

Clinton news network.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 27 Jan 2019, 10:00:31

Cog wrote:Clinton news network.

Personality-cult projection. I repeat my question: why hasn't CNN gone broke? Especially if there is no such thing as a market failure, something that most capitalism apologists seem to consider absolute truth.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sun 27 Jan 2019, 10:21:56

Compare fox news ratings to cnn and get back to me.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion