Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What car to look at when shopping?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: What car to look at when shopping?

Unread postby Mesuge » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 07:52:14

Kublai> as mentioned before, the big advantage of selecting Prius (since gen2 of model year 2003) is that it can be diy hacked to plug-in hybrid, i.e. optional full EV driving mode at lower speeds and mixed mode at highway (150-70)mpg..

So with standard Prius you could be half-prepared for that $6-10/gallon superspike, which is likely comming in the future and within the lifespan of that car 8-15yrs.

Also you can shop/budget for the required major upgrade parts step by step along the way, while still driving it like factory hybrid. This is not possible with the Honda hybrids or it's much more complex and not excatly diy type of project.
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 08:37:10

My full size chevy 1500 01 2wd 5sp gets 21mpg.
Wifes 97 olds 88 v6 auto got 26mpg loaded down with WDF on trips.
Daughter bought a new Toyota corolla after the army. 5sp gets 38 mpg footin fire wall interstate, Only thing she has changed is both front wheel bearings. Lots of good options while we wait for SHTF.
Big rigs are over discounted and hybreds are way over premiumed. Most people dont do the math and it cost them dearly.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby newbonic » Tue 02 Sep 2008, 20:37:35

BaBaBlackSheep wrote:
Last fill I got 32.7 mpg. I am happy with it. The only thing better would be if it were a manual tranny. I like it so well that I am going to keep my eye out for a 2005-6-7 Focus Wagon. Unfortunately Ford quit the station wagon for 2008.

Things don't HAVE to have the Honda or Toyota name on to get you where you need to go.

The diesel 1.6 and 1.8 TDCI manual transmission European Ford Focusses (should that be Focii?!) get between 50 and 70 mpg (imperial gallons, about 40 - 55mpg US). As good or better than my mates Prius.

So such mpgs are available from current production lines without any massive re-tooling, or improbably quick switchovers to new technologies (so I hope we're on a oil production plateau that gives us time to switch to fuel efficient cars!).

Ultimately though, we're stuck with the laws of physics figured out by Newton in 1687 like Force = Mass x Acceleration. So the sheer weight of big cars/suvs/pickups etc. will always need proportionally more energy (force) to move! Not to mention their crummy aerodynamics.
newbonic
Peat
Peat

Unread postby kublikhan » Mon 08 Sep 2008, 03:07:18

Mesuge wrote:Kublai> as mentioned before, the big advantage of selecting Prius (since gen2 of model year 2003) is that it can be diy hacked to plug-in hybrid, i.e. optional full EV driving mode at lower speeds and mixed mode at highway (150-70)mpg..
So with standard Prius you could be half-prepared for that $6-10/gallon superspike, which is likely comming in the future and within the lifespan of that car 8-15yrs.
I ended up going with the Corolla. The payoff in gas savings was just too long IMO to go with the Prius. Adding another $10k to the purchase cost of the Prius for the Hymotion plug-in conversion kit only makes the numbers worse. It seems a bit too early to be shopping for electrics. Maybe in a few years when they are factory standard and gas prices are higher the economics will make more sense.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby lowem » Tue 09 Sep 2008, 09:21:57

I got me the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. Easily 60 mpg (over 25 km/l) highway.

The CVT issue, I've had a 1997 Civic VTi (HX on the American side) so I'm quite aware. Just don't drive it like a Type R, maintain it regularly, and it should be fine. Same applies to normal 4AT, 5AT's anyway.

Waiting for the 2010/2011 Honda Civic Hybrid, will probably update to that when it comes around. After that, either the world ends in 2012 or for the next platform/generation we move on to EV's :lol:
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Bill55AZ » Fri 14 Nov 2008, 12:50:09

TreeFarmer wrote:I checked the MPG on the Impala the other day using the built-in economy readout.

At:
55 mph 37 mpg
65 mph 32-33 mpg
75 mph 28 mpg
80 mph 26 mpg

Not bad at all for those speeds given the amount of room in the car IMHO. Of course a smaller car (really a more aerodynamic car) would do better.

TF

We have a 2000 Impala with the "big" six, and get about the same mileage as you. I used to get less, because I set the cruise control at 78mph on the freeway. When fuel prices got hinky, I moved to the slow lane and set the CC at 63.
Our last trip from Logan, UT, to Idaho Falls, Id, we got 37+mpg according to the display, and it usually matches closely what I calculate on my own.
Inflating the tires a few extra pounds helps as well...
Bill55AZ
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency