Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sent my boss this email today.

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Sent my boss this email today.

Unread postby Cog » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 16:52:10

Since joining here and doing a lot of reading, its time to put some things I've learned about peak oil into action. That being a 10 hour day, 4 times a week. If this is the incorrect forum for this discussion, please move it. I'm unsure about when we will reach $5 and $6/gallon gas as I mentioned in this email I sent but I wanted to use a figure that seemed a reasonable jump from where we are.

Regardless of oil price, this will save our company, employees, and the environment some money and damage. Now I have to see if TPTB will buy off on it.
Below is an email I sent off to the Chief of Land Surveys in our company.

XXXX and XXX,
I’ve been doing some research on trends in fuel prices and its my opinion that we may be in for further increases to $5 and then to $6/gallon. Given that fuel costs are something that not only affects our employees that make long commutes to work, but also is a cost of doing business for XXXXX Inc., it may be time to consider a 4 day X 10hr work week for our crews. There are some advantages and disadvantages to this way of working.
Advantages:
1) Less visits to a job site given the increased productivity of a 10 hr day versus an 8 hr workday.
2) 20% lower fuel costs to both the commuting employee and also XXXXX surveying trucks since we make less trips to a job site.
3) An extra day off during the work week so that an employee can take care of personal business lowering absence rates.
4) Does not affect over-time.

Disadvantages:
1) In the current configuration of four survey crews, you would only have two crews available on Monday and Friday if they were alternated with two crews having Monday off and two crews having Friday off.
2) My assumption is that XXXX would need to work his regular five day schedule in order to speak to clients, attend meetings, etc. XXXX, as the survey manager, he may of course decide to handle this in anyway he desires.
3) In order to have someone in responsible charge while the crews are out, for example AAA card for towing, talking with contractors etc, if XXX wanted to work this 4 day schedule, he might need one of the other LS’s to alternate either Mondays or Fridays to make sure we have this covered.

Anyway, this is just an idea to kick around to see if you managers think this would be worthwhile.
XXXXX
Survey Project Manager.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Sent my boss this email today.

Unread postby Gus » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 17:11:02

A friend of mine just was given the option to do the 4 day , 10 hr shift. She seems to really like it and it sure makes sense. Hopefully your bosses don't take your suggestion as over stepping any boundaries, but goodluck. I think in the coming days we will see a lot of companies give this option.
Gus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby biofuel13 » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 17:11:56

Good Luck!
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 18:52:14

It's one of those things where if one person asks for it, it gets shot down, but if everyone hands out an ultimatum, it's hard to turn down. No employer is going to want to force its employees to walk out of their jobs en masse because they can no longer afford to commute.
mos6507

Unread postby Micki » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 19:35:34

That would be sweet. Doesn't work at my job where most staff are frequently expected to work 10+ hourdays (without extra pay) anyway.
A lot of office type work nowadays is flexible with working hours but in reality it means longer days. So officially cranking it up to 10hours wouldn't in reality extend the hours but cut the week shorter, so these employers would say no.
But good luck to those who can convince their bosses, I think it is a great idea and good for quality of life.
Micki

Unread postby Impervius » Fri 20 Jun 2008, 19:36:36

I've already been at 4 x 10s..

Now I am trying to get my boss to let me go to two 20 hour shifts..
Impervius
Wood
Wood

Unread postby criticalmass » Mon 14 Jul 2008, 17:47:37

I'd be interested in knowing what came of this, Cog?

My girlfriend just went to 4-10's which is great because she commutes. I pedal to work anyway but could get far more gardening and tinkering done at home if Monday or Friday became availalbe.

-That or I'd spend another $20 on my favorite whiskey every week :)
criticalmass
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Cog » Thu 17 Jul 2008, 07:57:19

I have been out of town on assignment. I will be inquiring Monday to see if any action is anticipated with the request. Corporations often move like molasses when they are changing policy.

If I can't get the change done for the department, I'm going to see if they will let me personally make the change to 4 10 hr days.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Conservation & Efficiency