Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 1

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Scaring Your Partner

Unread postby urbanorange » Wed 26 Jan 2005, 13:17:43

Sorry, but "scaring the pants off your partner" would be considered a form of abuse. How would you like it if your partner tried to "strong-arm" you into taking an opinion about an issue, and with an ultimatum? If you read enough about Peak Oil, you realize that we are running out of light sweet crude, which poses no *immediate* problems. I don't know if it is a peculiarly American trait to rally around an "Armageddon" scenario, or if it is simply folks who need a rise because their day-to-day lives are just flat-out boring, but you folks need to stop with the so-called scare tactics.

Finally, I stand by my post about the alarmist amateurs. Stay away from Savinar, who is apparently a lawyer (and we all know a monkey can become a lawyer, so that certainly isn't impressive) and is pretending to be a physicist or geologist; Jay Hanson, who claims to have absolutely no credentials; and DSM-ratable psychotics, like Ruppert. If anybody gives the Peak Oil "movement" a bad name, it is these three clowns.
urbanorange

Unread postby psquare75 » Wed 26 Jan 2005, 13:43:12

Sorry.. It's just when I hear "peak oil" I think of the Mad Max/Road Warrior movies

"built of a house of straw, the thundering machines sputtered.. and stopped"

Not looking for any white line nightmares here.
psquare75

Unread postby pkwonofsocal » Wed 26 Jan 2005, 18:23:07

>If you read enough about Peak Oil, you realize that we are running out of light sweet crude, which poses no *immediate* problems. I don't know if it is a peculiarly American trait to rally around an "Armageddon" scenario, or if it is simply folks who need a rise because their day-to-day lives are just flat-out boring, but you folks need to stop with the so-called scare tactics.

Apparently the governments of US, Britain, Iran, or China don't agree with you about the consequences of PO. That's why they are trying to grab as much oil as they can.

>Finally, I stand by my post about the alarmist amateurs. Stay away from Savinar, who is apparently a lawyer (and we all know a monkey can become a lawyer, so that certainly isn't impressive) and is pretending to be a physicist or geologist; Jay Hanson, who claims to have absolutely no credentials; and DSM-ratable psychotics, like Ruppert. If anybody gives the Peak Oil "movement" a bad name, it is these three clowns.

Fine. It's ok to ignore them if you wish. Except there are many others who preach the same subject without their scare tactics.

Once again, I say that if ignoring a problem can make it go away it's not a bad survival strategy.
pkwonofsocal

Newbies and visitors MUST watch this important video

Unread postby NevadaGhosts » Fri 28 Jan 2005, 17:53:13

This is one eye-opening video about uncontrolled growth:

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic3609.html
NevadaGhosts
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby spot5050 » Sat 29 Jan 2005, 17:57:36

Yup, a fascinating lecture.
spot5050
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Your First Post

Unread postby Aaron » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 10:03:06

Mine

Every photon of energy we use comes from one single source. The nearest star... our sun.

The only way around this is to emulate the same process of fission & fusion that powers stars, and create energy the really, really old fashioned way. The problem is creating a sustainable process for fusion that is safe and reliable.

Thus, every form of energy in use or proposed today is a carrier, not a producer of energy, some more efficient than others. Therefore, every advance of modern man is a direct result of hydrate fuels, which were created through geologic processes storing the energy of photosynthesis... including computers... lol.

Light crude oil is the most efficient carrier we know... nothing else comes close. No amount of demand stimulation, technology advances, alternative use, or magic dust can change this basic fact.
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Pops » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 10:42:16

April 3, 04

[quote]

Hello all,

It seems to me that it is pretty obvious that any finite resource will have a mid point of availability. It isn’t a huge leap them to understand that the high point of discovery indicates the eventual high point of production. While economists can wax about “demand destructionâ€
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: Your First Post

Unread postby lowem » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 11:01:21

My first post

lowem wrote:Are there enough remaining resources to replace all the existing vehicles with hybrids? ER members have been debating this one.

It's probably a good step in the right direction though.

2004-07-20, 13:02:50

*wince*
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby clv101 » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 11:02:35

1st post
clv101 Wed Jun 02, 2004 wrote: I've been convinced of "Peak Oil" since I first came across it about a year ago... however I came across this article today:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.a ... E_ID=38645
I don't believe it for a moment, peak oil just has too much evidence and makes too much sense! But it makes you think... what if we've got it wrong? I wouldn't be the first time, in fact the vast majority of what people believed to be true about the world turned out to be wrong given enough time.

2nd (I think) post
clv101 Wed Jun 02, 2004 wrote:Could someone explain to me why peak oil isn't a national debate? I'm sure many governments all over the world have been presented with the evidence and I'm doubly sure the current US administration are 100% aware of the concept having personally seen it first hand with their own domestic production in the 70?s.

So, if we can assume many governments are aware of the impending energy and accompanying economic disaster why no word? What would happen if the government produced an energy white paper explaining peak oil, explaining the imminent shortfall and also that there wasn't an easy way out.

I'm sure this would be jumped on by the media and the public debate we?ve been asking for would be with us?

Is it however because a government can never admit to anything other than a better tomorrow? If they published such a paper would investment stop overnight, would consumer spending decline, would such a report create economic disaster all by itself whilst the oil continued to flow placing the country in question in a worse position than other more uninformed countries?

If we accept that economic disaster is assured come peak oil, is it better to experience it sooner (by educating the population) or to wait until we are forced into it?
"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." The Emperor (Return of the Jedi)
The Oil Drum: Europe
clv101
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby KiddieKorral » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 11:25:39

Mine:

There was an editorial like this in the Orlando Sentinel a while back. It acknowledged peak oil, but then started talking about how technology will save us all. It read like "All hail technology! Technology will always come to our rescue!". They just can't piss off the advertisers.
American by birth, Muslim by choice, Southern by the grace of God!
KiddieKorral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Roy » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 11:36:04

Mine

Hi,

I've been visiting here for about a week now. I stumbled on to the peak oil by chance really.

Now that I've been researching it for the better part of a month I've come to the conlusion that it is real and that it is inevitable and may be coming too soon for me to prepare adequately. Fortunately my wife believes it can happen. Although her initial reaction was "they will think of something".

Once she became aware of the depth or our dependence on oil then she began to embrace the idea. Oddly, most other people laugh it off when I mention it.

My wife and I have figured out a repayment schedule for our education loans wherein we can pay them off in three years. I hope our current situation remains somewhat static until that time. If not then we are in deep doo doo.

One thing I can do now is to get my discretionary money out of the stock market. I am interested in buying some silver.

Questions are:

Where is the best place to buy it?

What form should I buy it in? (ie coins of ingots)

Should I buy it on paper or have it delivered to my house?

Gold?

For now we're either investing in FDIC insured CDs or precious metals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roy

And thanks to all who replied. I have since re-directed all my investments to things that will be resistant/immune to the coming economic -- disaster?-- problems.

Roy
Roy
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KiddieKorral » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 11:39:59

Buy your silver anywhere that doesn't keep a paper trail. Definitely get the real metal, not paper. Just my 2 cents.
American by birth, Muslim by choice, Southern by the grace of God!
KiddieKorral
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JR » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 12:06:23

This is so embarressing. I searched my profile back to my first post in May of 2004. I'm assuming the very last post that comes up when you search you're profile is your first post? If so, this is my first post:

Go for SPam. I just bought a can...expiration on the can...2007!

How embarressing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jodi
JR
Peat
Peat

Unread postby CarlinsDarlin » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 12:14:48

Joined July 2, 2004. First post, July 7, 2004 (and haven't shut up since :))

My first post
As usual, Pops hits the nail on the head. I agree - if I knew the people well, and if they are of the same mindset, it could be a great arrangement. If not, it could be disaster.

Personally, no amount of bargaining, though, could make me take on additional debt right now. We're saving for expenses and waiting, rather than going into debt to add on to our house. We could get a loan, but I don't want to be obligated to anyone for anything if I don't have to. For most people, though, this is simply not an option. I realize we are very fortunate.

That being said, however, if you have savings, think long and hard about spending more than you have. None of us knows how long it will be before income sources will dry up, and then, you would be in big trouble when the note came due.
CarlinsDarlin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby stu » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 12:15:47

What a surprise!! :roll:

My first post was on the topic of conspiracies.

Good thought John Denver.

I don't truly believe that politicians are incompetent most of the time. Lets face it these people are clever and intelligent and if they were dumb as fuck would probably ...

http://www.peakoil.com/post23494.html#23494
"The age of excess is over. The age of entropy has begun"
stu
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

My first post:

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 13:38:36

My first post; 2004-09-03, 10:54:24:
High oil prices are a good thing.
High prices will stimulate exploration and new recovery techniques.
High prices will encourage conservation and converting to alternative sources or conduits of energy.
There is likely to be increased government control of petroleum use (probably later in the U.S. than most other places), directing it to essential services, and restricting pleasure & commuting use (as in WWII rationing).
This will tend to extend the plateau of peak production, so demand for energy will have time to be accommodated by other sources.
Possibly there will be a crunch, but I doubt that it will be the end of civilization.

P.S. What is "bottle-brush drilling"?

I know high oil prices will hurt people's pocket-books, but just imagine what artificially low prices or subsidized consumption would do - make disaster inevitable.
I'm still optimistic, but things are going to be a lot different in 25 years, whatever happens.
Nero and Aaron brought me up to speed on "bottle-brush drilling", which refers to multi-leg horizontal wells. It's a term that I have never heard except in peak oil websites, I don't think the oil industry uses it.
Last edited by Grasshopper on Tue 15 Mar 2005, 14:06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Worry, Be Happy
(B. McFerrin)
listen:
http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artis ... 03,00.html
Grasshopper
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Barbara » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 13:51:44

Mine (May 31 2004):
I'm ready to live an "old times life", I think that while we grew attached to this oil-dependant way of life any of us has heard tons of family stories about WWII, starvation, famine and so on. More or less, we can learn how to cope and kiss good-bye to all our technologies.
But big cities? During WWII in the cities there was a lot of starvation. And remember that in those times farmlands were a lot more developed than now: you could always go out of the city (avoiding bullets!) and find a farmer who sold you some food in exchange of your skills or "modern" gadgets. My grandpa did. Today in Europe we have 3 millions, 5 millions cities: how to feed all that people? With retired elders gardening?

:lol:
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby born2respawn » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 13:54:38

I was advocating an office block as a place to wait out Peak Oil for a while. And aside from arson I still see no reason why, with propper preperation, you couldn't do pretty well in one.

Means I've been lurking on and off for half a year now.
born2respawn
Peat
Peat

Time bypasses

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 14:15:28

Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:30 am
Post subject: Re: Got a link from the big boys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pops wrote:
I saw PeakOil.net (ASPO) was linking to us under "Discuss Peak Oil" or something like that on the home page!

Admin is gonna start making money now!

----- ----- -----

That's how I got here. Discuss Peak Oil is indeed the link; upper right hand corner @ home.

I got my introduction to this subject through From The Wilderness and Richard Heinberg's book "The Party's Over"

I hope to participate here more as time permits. For the moment, most of my efforts are going into this thread:
EHS-Net Ecology & Sustainability

http://www.peakoil.com/post1535.html#1535

How the tables turn!
-------------------------------------------
| Whose reality is this anyway!? |
-------------------------------------------
(---------< Temet Nosce >---------)
Heavy Crude

Unread postby NevadaGhosts » Tue 15 Mar 2005, 16:16:32

Hmmm. Looks like my previous account was suspended (nvdrifter). Gotta start over I suppose.

Today I purchased a new Bushmaster XM-15 E2S 'assault rifle'. Great gun. I guess it's time to start preparing for the decline. Anyone else here own a Bushmaster rifle?

http://www.peakoil.com/fortopic1213-0-asc-0.html
NevadaGhosts
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome