Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Motorcycle, Moped and Electric Bike Thread (merged)

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Softail looks in NEV motorcycles? Yes, suck amps!

Unread postby Mesuge » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 05:21:10

link
"Spyder" US model
more pics
more pics
"Spider/Regal Raptor" EU model
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
link (more pics)
photo
photo
The EU/int. version seems to be water cooled and has got double tube front frame section (#1 pic US).

Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) motorcycle?!? There seems to be new affordable glider for cheap electric motorcycle conversions and now in "softail" style! The MSRP of $3395 would be cut perhaps to half without the ICE engine/exhaust. These bikes are being exported to the US and EU as unassembled parts in boxes from China. So a deal without the engine/exhaust certainly could be made. Also, 4kW output limiter (on/off) via controller could be arranged to avoid higher taxes and regulations or as specified in your region. They claim 65 mpg economy for the 250ccm ICE version, so slightly above 100 mpg for the EV conversion would be realistic assumption.
The ideal setup: -rolling chasis of Spider (EU) / Spyder (US)
add: -controller Sevcon 24-48 volt 250 amp (with regen)
-engine Mars Brushless Motor 10kW peak (Etek clone)
link
-4x12V@33-50-? Ah AGM/Gel/?? batteries
(MK/Deka - best deep cycles but scooter performance, max. 2-3C Max Discharge Current (pulse) and continuous even lower)
link and [url=http://www.mkbattery.com/images/Gel_v4_GER.pdf
-4x Manzanita Micro digital shunt BMS MK3 (or MK2) or 3x Powercheq balancers
-quality onboard charger with software control (Pictronik or equivalent)
- changed drivetrain to 6:1 or more
or system based on Alltrax controllers (price of software incl.):
1/ Classic setup Etek plus Alltrax up to 72V
2/ The new 4Q Alltrax DCX model w. regen - details about these kits here: link and link
48V Speed@3000 rpm
[8 cont; 13 hp @ 300 A; 15 hp @ 400 A; 17 hp @ 650 A]
The setup in my mind => Electric Kawa Ninja style - could be hard to fit in this softail arrangement (or place the motor bellow oil tank):
link
link
21 wheels
Last edited by Mesuge on Thu 03 May 2007, 17:13:53, edited 19 times in total.
DOOMerotron: at all-time high [8.3] out of 10..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Softail looks in NEV motorcycles? Yes, suck amps!

Unread postby Loki » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 05:48:59

That would be a very neat set up. An electric motorcycle like that would be cooler than hell.

Makes me wish I had kept my 450 Rebel. I destroyed the engine on that poor bike.
Loki
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Kingcoal » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 11:05:59

I'm a firm believer in electric vehicles, but I think this bike is more of a conversation piece than anything. Electric vehicles are the future of the car and scooter. Gas north of $2.50/gal makes them an alternative.
"That's the problem with mercy, kid... It just ain't professional" - Fast Eddie, The Color of Money
Kingcoal
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Mesuge » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 11:59:05

Well, I stressed the NEV aspect of this bike/conversion, i.e. low cost low voltage system with regen, very short trips on local roads only in order not to kill the batteries prematurely..

Conventional electric motorcycles (no scifi aeromods) are very inefficient mode of transportation if you are thinking about near/at highway speeds etc. In fact it makes no sense that way - that's better to take the plunge with full scale electric car..

Or get an hybrid electric bicycle that's the most efficient powered machine humans ever developed..
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JRP3 » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 12:17:35

Or you could find a used motorcycle with a blown motor or trans for really cheap and convert it.
JRP3
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby steam_cannon » Sat 14 Apr 2007, 19:23:24

An electric motorcycle is a cool idea and a lot easier to build then a car! I love it! :-D

Electric Motorcycle Demo
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrFPMLAfs3s&eurl=
http://www.maxdon.com./
http://www.hackaday.com/2006/10/11/electric-motorcycle/

Image Image Image

Image <-- I would like to make that, but I would paint the batteries black 8)
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Mesuge » Tue 17 Apr 2007, 14:58:25

I think that this "Maxdon" project has been largely inspired by the
famous Todd Kollin's GPR-50 AC conversions based on the same rolling chasis. It's made by Derbi in Spain. link

Now, another good candidate for similar superbike looks conversions could be again spanish chasis from bike called Rieju, they are even a bit cheaper then the Derbi brand. That boxy shape
could be great for battery storage. link

For instance this RIEJU RS2 125ccm is around $4.3k MSRP
so as a glider/rolling chasis it would be certainly bellow two grand..
very large photo
gallery here: link
Mesuge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Vietnam: Who needs a truck ?

Unread postby syrac818 » Mon 21 May 2007, 15:12:18

Just thought this may interest some people on here. If we ever see $10/gas, I imagine people will reaize you don't need an SUV to transport some eggs. link
syrac818
Peat
Peat

Re: Who needs a truck in Vietnam?

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Mon 21 May 2007, 17:35:34

pstarr wrote:. And I hope that is a sheet of metal and not a mirror :?

What that thing about objects in the mirror. That guy was probably crapping himself all the way.

But the guy with the wheels. I've heard of stabalisers, but that is ridiculous. Or is that Vietnams version of Monster Trucks???
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby steam_cannon » Tue 22 May 2007, 01:43:19

Great pictures! :lol:

But a real problem, how do you move things when there is no gas for a moving truck...

A lot of laws would have to be relaxed here for that to happen. But like when the soviet union collapsed, laws relax...
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 22 May 2007, 02:02:53

error
Last edited by SILENTTODD on Tue 22 May 2007, 02:23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby SILENTTODD » Tue 22 May 2007, 02:20:08

You can do that in this country too! (America)
See here:

And here:

And here!

Good old American ingenuity is still at work! You can find these remarkable devices at this site!

http://www.bikesatwork.com/bicycle-delivery-service/
Skeptical scrutiny in both Science and Religion is the means by which deep thoughts are winnowed from deep nonsense-Carl Sagan
SILENTTODD
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby FreakOil » Tue 22 May 2007, 11:32:24

I see this stuff all the time in Guangdong province, China. I once saw a guy transporting at least three dozen live chickens in cages on a motorcylce on a busy highway during rush hour. You wouldn't believe the crap I've seen on rural roads in India. You folks in the developed world are missing out on some great entertainment.
FreakOil
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Tue 22 May 2007, 11:58:55

FreakOil wrote: You folks in the developed world are missing out on some great entertainment.

Not for long by all accounts.
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Denny » Tue 22 May 2007, 12:28:45

I recall seeing a bicycle pedlar (I guess that word has double entendre here) selling miscellaneous home supplies like toilet paper and light bulbs by use of a bicycle carrier in Santo Domingo some years ago.

Wow, just think of the synergies here. To the door delivery and no rental overhead for a store! No need to maintain a customer parking lot either.

Despite the poverty evidenced by the situation, his customers were better served than modern day affluent economies in which the customer walks endlessly though a giant Walmart of Zellers and then waits in line to check out and then drives less stuff than this guy carries on a bike likely 8 or more kilometres to the home.
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Gazzatrone » Tue 22 May 2007, 14:16:23

Denny wrote:I recall seeing a bicycle pedlar (I guess that word has double entendre here) selling miscellaneous home supplies like toilet paper and light bulbs by use of a bicycle carrier in Santo Domingo some years ago.

Wow, just think of the synergies here. To the door delivery and no rental overhead for a store! No need to maintain a customer parking lot either.

Despite the poverty evidenced by the situation, his customers were better served than modern day affluent economies in which the customer walks endlessly though a giant Walmart of Zellers and then waits in line to check out and then drives less stuff than this guy carries on a bike likely 8 or more kilometres to the home.

Now theres an idea. How much business could you drum up walking the line of expectant fuel buyers as they queue up to fill their car. Simple basics like water, food, Playboy!
THE FUTURE IS HISTORY!
Gazzatrone
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ebyss » Tue 22 May 2007, 15:58:39

syrac818 wrote:Just thought this may interest some people on here. If we ever see $10/gas, I imagine people will reaize you don't need an SUV to transport some eggs.

http://www.albanian.com/community/vbl/s ... php?t=9317

Sweet zombie Jesus 8O Those poor chickens and pigs... and the ray :( They're such lovely creatures.
We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas.

I am only one. I can only do what one can do. But what one can do, I will do. -- John Seymour.
Ebyss
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newsseeker » Wed 23 May 2007, 08:33:03

FreakOil wrote:I see this stuff all the time in Guangdong province, China. I once saw a guy transporting at least three dozen live chickens in cages on a motorcylce on a busy highway during rush hour. You wouldn't believe the crap I've seen on rural roads in India. You folks in the developed world are missing out on some great entertainment.

What are you doing in China? I taught English in Guangdong (Zhuhai) for three years.
Newsseeker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby crossthread » Wed 23 May 2007, 10:29:11

I woulda paid goo money too watch that guy in the first pic, putting dem live pigs in that cage....
crossthread
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation & Efficiency