Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 1

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Re: new to forum,Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Mrs. Dale Allen)

Unread postby Andrew_S » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 20:52:44

The "Eating Fossil Fuels" article was a real eye-opener for me when I read it last year. I had no idea food production was so energy intensive and dependent on fossil fuels.

On the rare occasions I talk to people about peak oil I try to mention food production. Really gets you thinking.
Andrew_S
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: new to forum,Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Mrs. Dale Allen)

Unread postby annie » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 22:03:52

Andrew_S wrote:The "Eating Fossil Fuels" article was a real eye-opener for me when I read it last year. I had no idea food production was so energy intensive and dependent on fossil fuels.

On the rare occasions I talk to people about peak oil I try to mention food production. Really gets you thinking.

Andrew,
You know this was a real eye-opener for me, too. And I think that Dale was quite amazed by what he found when he did his research. He has a new book that will be published by New Society publishers next year. It is titled "Eating Fossil Fuels."
Annie
annie
Wood
Wood

Re: New to Forum, Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Mrs. Dale Allen)

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Fri 11 Nov 2005, 02:10:28

annie wrote:Hi,

I am new to the forum and may make some mistakes in protocol. My name is Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Annie). I am serving as Dale Allen Pfeiffer's agent and if there is anyone who is interested in contacting him about speaking or writing for you...please contact me. If you have any questions about his departure from FTW, I will do my best to answer.

Best Regards,
Anne

A wonderful introduction. Welcome aboard the ship to Valinor!
-------------------------------------------
| Whose reality is this anyway!? |
(---------< Temet Nosce >---------)
Heavy Crude

Re: New members- Tell us about yourselves

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Fri 11 Nov 2005, 03:07:47

Bump
Heavy Crude

Re: A new Polish member

Unread postby OilMan » Sun 13 Nov 2005, 23:26:46

Welcome aboard, fellow chap. I would just like to let you know that I am here to help! I like to think of myself as a seasoned vet on this board, and if you have any questions or problems, PLEASE feel free to ask.

Your favourite superhero,

OilMan
OilMan
Wood
Wood

Unread postby worrier » Tue 15 Nov 2005, 23:47:42

Hi all,

I'm Worrier, I've been a lurker for a while and I've just joined. So now I can share my opinions with everyone. I first found out about p.o. when I saw the address for oilcrash.com sprayed on signs around town. I looked it up and then followed lots of surfing on the subject. I'm from New Zealand and I was interested to see posts from several other Kiwi's. I was also interested to see posts from deaf people. I've lost 40% of my hearing, with my hearing aids I function as a hearing person. But if modern supply lines break down for whatever reason and no more hearing aid batteries I would be funtionally deaf. I've been watching world events with interest, seeing as how we live in interesting times, but sometimes it's hard to figure out all the implications and effects of events. Sometimes this and other sites helps with that. :-D
worrier
Peat
Peat

Re: Newbie

Unread postby lakeweb » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 00:00:32

worrier wrote:Hi all,

I'm Worrier, I've been a lurker for a while and I've just joined. So now I can share my opinions with everyone. I first found out about p.o. when I saw the address for oilcrash.com sprayed on signs around town. I looked it up and then followed lots of surfing on the subject. I'm from New Zealand and I was interested to see posts from several other Kiwi's. I was also interested to see posts from deaf people. I've lost 40% of my hearing, with my hearing aids I function as a hearing person. But if modern supply lines break down for whatever reason and no more hearing aid batteries I would be funtionally deaf. I've been watching world events with interest, seeing as how we live in interesting times, but sometimes it's hard to figure out all the implications and effects of events. Sometimes this and other sites helps with that. :-D

Is your name Chris?

Best, Dan.
lakeweb
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Evltre » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 00:13:07

Welcome fellow Kiwi :) Nice to see you here.
Evltre
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mrniceguy » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 09:08:50

worrier wrote: But if modern supply lines break down for whatever reason and no more hearing aid batteries I would be funtionally deaf.

I don't know whether batteries for hearing aids can be re-charged, but if so, you might want to consider a solar powered battery charger. I know the batteries will deteriorate eventually, but you may be able to significantly extend the lifetime of your equipment.
mrniceguy
Peat
Peat

Unread postby azreal60 » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 09:51:55

Welcome to the site. I think your the second deaf person in as many days to mention their deafness. Interesting.

If you hadn't taken that screen name, i'll have to remind my wife to use it. It certainly fits her.

On a serious note though, alot of NZ people are here it seems. Very high level of PO awareness in that country i've noticed.
Azreal60
azreal60
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Andrew_S » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 10:53:11

worrier wrote: I first found out about p.o. when I saw the address for oilcrash.com sprayed on signs around town.

Like graffiti sprayed? That's activism for you. I could imagine little stickers stuck over the place which probably isn't illegal.

worrier wrote:I looked it up and then followed lots of surfing on the subject. I'm from New Zealand and I was interested to see posts from several other Kiwi's. I was also interested to see posts from deaf people. I've lost 40% of my hearing, with my hearing aids I function as a hearing person. But if modern supply lines break down for whatever reason and no more hearing aid batteries I would be funtionally deaf. I've been watching world events with interest, seeing as how we live in interesting times, but sometimes it's hard to figure out all the implications and effects of events. Sometimes this and other sites helps with that. :-D

I reckon in most developed countries very essential medical supplies and services will still be around for a long, long time. So, don't be too worried about that. One of my best friends is almost completely deaf but with hearing aids her hearing is 85%+. She's even acquired a natural English accent from me (she's Finnish).

About a week or so ago I noticed a thread here with 2, maybe 3, deaf people. Maybe they'll say hi.

If (when) there's an oil crash there's an awful lot of luxury and waste that 'll go first.

I also get the feeling that the general consensus is that New Zealand is one of the better places to be.

Welcome to peakoil.com.
Andrew_S
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby worrier » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 16:27:33

Hi, no I'm not Chris. My name in real life is Jenny. But if I didn't already have a middle name, Worrier would be an appropriate one for me. That was a good suggestion about rechargable hearing aid batteries. I'll check that one out when I can get around to it. :)
worrier
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Byron100 » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 19:18:42

Hey, I'm one of the other deaf people posting recently...it's 90% w/out aids, reasonably okay with them. I don't worry too much about aids and batteries, as those consume far fewer resources than making let's say, an automobile :-D

But if worse comes to worst, I could always use an ear trumpet, which would help some, otherwise, I'll have to fall back to reading lips. Anyhow, that's really the least of my worries (and I do have plenty...)
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Finally!! My lurking days are over!

Unread postby deerslayer » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 22:50:06

I've been lurking this site for months now.
I discovered peak oil about 2 years ago when I read"the End of affluence"anyone read it yet? I love book discussions.

deerslayer
deerslayer
Wood
Wood

Re: Finally!! My lurking days are over!

Unread postby threadbear » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 23:11:57

Welcome Deerslayer. So are you a doomer, a muddle througher, or what? Are you ready to hold your own with all the fine young cannibals awaiting the dining opportunities of a complete meltdown scenario?
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby deerslayer » Wed 16 Nov 2005, 23:28:43

Thanks for replying.
I would have to say
i'm a doomer with bright soft landing points.(in my better moods).
Bizarly(sp?), my mother is the only one who will talk to me about this.
I have a warm, loving family,but they still think i'm crazy.
deerslayer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby cynthia » Thu 17 Nov 2005, 12:11:43

frankly after reading the posts to FairMaiden's dilemna, I implore you to tone it down with the "bitch" talk. Sheesh!
cynthia
Coal
Coal

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Thu 17 Nov 2005, 12:30:41

cynthia wrote:frankly after reading the posts to FairMaiden's dilemna, I implore you to tone it down with the "bitch" talk. Sheesh!

Who said anything about bitches?

Welcome to the site deerslayer, glad to have you aboard.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnviroEngr » Thu 17 Nov 2005, 12:38:23

deerslayer wrote:I've been lurking ...

when I read "The End of Affluence"

Anyone read it yet?

I love book discussions.

deerslayer

Since I don't see "The End of Affluence" in Book/Media Reviews yet, by all means, start the thread with your personal review of it.

Thanks.

And, yes... courtesy would be good as you make your way around, as cynthia suggests.
Heavy Crude

Yet another hi!

Unread postby lakeweb » Mon 21 Nov 2005, 14:37:39

I was first introduced to peak oil about four years ago on an edu forum. It took a while for the implications to start sinking in. Just like most everyone else, I have a day job and live a 'daily life'. And just like most everyone else I've taken the status quo of civilization for granted. I've participated on Usenet groups for years now concerning the topic of energy. I've learned there is a great deal of misunderstanding about the science of energy and what peak oil means.

It is rather typical of folks to do that 'daily life' thing and assume that if there is something to peak oil it will magically fix itself.

Anyway, here I am.

Best, Dan.
lakeweb
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome