Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hello Pt 1

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

hello to all

Unread postby deafskeptic » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 08:12:59

Hello Everyone,

i notice that my first post was deleted. If it was deleted because I was offensive, I am sorry as it was not intended to be offensive. Perhaps it was negative in tone or too self centered.

I'm a 39 years old female and currently living in Charlotte, NC. I'm a graphic design student.

I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks and I first heard of oilpeak a year ago but only got interested in it a few months ago. Everything that I've learned has me feeling so ill to my stomach that I can't eat and i'm having trouble sleeping too. I don't want to be living alone anymore as this is scary to me.

In any case, I plan to talk about oilpeak to my family at Thanksgiving and see where it goes. All are hearing except me. I was born deaf. I'm not sure where they'll stand on oilpeak but I'm hoping to get the ball rolling even though I'm not sure how I will comminicate with them. Think it's best to broach the subject on a one to one basis and also try to get the whole family talking and planning how to surivive and ditto for my parent's neighbors. This is not something we can do alone hence why I want to get my family invovloed. I just hope they will not be into denial.

i never thought I'd see the day when I'd seriously consider getting firearms or rasing hemp. This is because you can make farbric out of hemp but I do not want to get into legal issues though. Of course smoking stuff to get high may help us to cope with this stuff.

Due to rl stuff beyond my control, I may have to move in with my parents in Virgina. If so I'll ask my mother about growing vegetables in the garden as she has a vegetable garden.

I think it will be best for my brother's family to move to my sister's in law farm in as it's a real farm. It's not one of those factory farms but it is dependant on oil though. My newphew spent many summers at the other farm so I don't think he's clueless about working on a farm.

My family on my mother's side were farmers until a generation ago so that's a plus in my family's favor. Several members of my family have a strong science or mathematical background so that will be a big plus working in our favor.

I'm also planning to see a deaf person with key contacts in the deaf community today about oil peak and if she's interested, I plan to give her the book The Party's over as well.

I also want to see the deaf community working on this. Although literacy rates and unemployment is higher than in the hearing community, they do have several advantages that will be very helpful in suriving. This is a closly knit community and tend to work on a far collective basis than the Hearing. These traits will help a great deal in dealing with oil peak.

Last, I also want to get in touch with the guys here even though rl comminication will be difficult and to read up and learn more about stuff. I am thankful people here care enough to run this site. I espeically like MonteQuest's posts on the subject. I think that folks with all sort of educational backgrounds and other backgrounds need to understand what we're facing and work together.

I don't think mainstream politics or coporates will be of much help. I think they're living in a madhouse.

I do want to know how the disabled are going to deal with Peakoil. Support systems are going to be cut off and stuff.

I feel a better now that I've posted.

Ellen
deafskeptic
Peat
Peat

Re: hello to all

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 08:13:07

The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby VinceG » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 08:17:57

Your post wasn't deleted, you can still find it here :)
"In the U.S., fears are so exaggerated and out of control that anxiety is the number-one mental health problem in the country.", Barry Glassner
VinceG
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Byron100 » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 08:54:00

Ellen, welcome aboard! You have company here...I'm deaf too (mostly, 90% anyhow), and guess what, I'm 39 years old too...LOL :-D

I've read both of your posts, and I want to say that you're certainly on the right track. If there is an opportunity to learn how to grow food at your mother's or on the farm, I'd jump on it, even if it's just for one year. I consider myself quite fortunate in that I got to spend summers at my grandparent's dairy farm in NE Tenn when I was growing up, so I know a bit about raising cattle, veggies, crop rotation, etc. Unfortunately for me, however, my mother's sisters are more interested in the $$$ than keeping the land once my grandparents are gone (yes, they're both still alive and living on the farm in their 90's), so moving there really isn't an option for me. If I go the farm route someday, it'll probably be on a small plot of land in upstate NY (preferably near Ithaca), which is where I want to live in the post-peak era.

I think it's true about what you said about the deaf community being able to cope in a post-peak world...I've already faced being either unemployed or underemployed for a number of years now, which has weaned me off the high-consumption lifestyle that so many of my peers have, and I've taken the opportunity to learn as many different skills as possible, some of which I hope will be of use to me in an uncertain future. Currently, I am a quasi-volunteer at a charity helping the poor, and will be there for a year before I go back to university to get a master's in Geographic Information Systems, as I'd like to help plan and build sustainable post-peak communities someday :)

Anyhow, it was great to see your post this morning, and I hope to hear more from you in the future.
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby deafskeptic » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 10:11:28

erm.. a small correction about the deaf community literacy rates. I meant to say the deaf community has lower literacy rates but despite that I think their collective bias will work in their favor during the peakoil.

i'm glad to see there are other deaf outhere workin on this.
deafskeptic
Peat
Peat

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Thu 03 Nov 2005, 14:03:32

In any case, I plan to talk about oilpeak to my family at Thanksgiving and see where it goes... I'm not sure where they'll stand on oilpeak but I'm hoping to get the ball rolling even though I'm not sure how I will comminicate with them. Think it's best to broach the subject on a one to one basis and also try to get the whole family talking and planning how to surivive and ditto for my parent's neighbors.

I would give them a few hints first. talk about economic slow down and ask them what it would be like it we hit another great depression. something to get them thinking in athat way. Most people find its way too much to absorb when they just get hit with it.

...but I do not want to get into legal issues though. Of course smoking stuff to get high may help us to cope with this stuff.

If its the industrial hemp, you might want to forget smoking it, its THC level is 3% and apparently is bred so that it just gives you a major headache.

Welcome to the board. I have a deaf sis-in-law and have wondererd how this might affect her and her community.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Re: Hi

Unread postby aldente » Fri 04 Nov 2005, 02:44:01

Welcome to the club.
[image deleted due to page view widening by MQ}
aldente
Permanently Banned

Re: Hi

Unread postby aldente » Sat 05 Nov 2005, 07:02:31

Welcome again, let's see if the with holds up..
aldente
Permanently Banned

Hello Pt 8

Unread postby carbuster » Mon 07 Nov 2005, 18:51:19

Hi all,

I learned on peak oil this summer and I still feel like I took a blue pill :-/
Now I contribute to the first Polish language peak oil website and forum -> http://www.oilpeak.pl
I would like to welcome all "peaknics" here and invite Polish speaking members to contribute to our webpage.
Last edited by carbuster on Mon 07 Nov 2005, 19:31:34, edited 1 time in total.
carbuster
Wood
Wood

Re: New Polish member

Unread postby lateStarter » Mon 07 Nov 2005, 19:00:22

Witamy. We have at least 1 other PO member in Warsaw (shakespear1). We get together once in awhile to chat. If you are interested, let me know and we can meet somplace for coffee. BTW, I was so happy to be going home today on a tram. The traffic was horrible. It is so nice to see decent public transportation.
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: A new Polish member

Unread postby kava » Mon 07 Nov 2005, 20:11:50

I'll come out of the dark and say hello, too.
Greetings from the webmaster of Polish site about the Oil Peak.

Cheers,
Kava
kava
Wood
Wood

Unread postby azreal60 » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 01:01:31

I wish i could read what your site says. Sorry, us americans don't get alot of shots to learn polish unless we are polish. Graphics look nice though.
Azreal60
azreal60
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby kava » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 05:18:29

Well I wish you could read it, too :-)
It's a general overview on the topic, I mean: when a newbie enters the site, first he gets the information what the hell the phenomena is, and then all the answers to "hey, but we have hydrogen" and so.
There's a separate section for the already_peaknicks.
Cheers!
kava
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Aaron » Tue 08 Nov 2005, 06:21:53

Greetings & welcome!

Please let us know if we can assist in any way.

Aaron
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

new to forum,Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Mrs. Dale Allen)

Unread postby annie » Wed 09 Nov 2005, 21:12:51

Hi,
I am new to the forum and may make some mistakes in protocol. My name is Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Annie). I am serving as Dale Allen Pfeiffer's agent and if there is anyone who is interested in contacting him about speaking or writing for you...please contact me. If you have any questions about his departure from FTW, I will do my best to answer.
Best Regards,
Anne
annie
Wood
Wood

Re: new to forum,Elizabeth Anne Pfeiffer (Mrs. Dale Allen)

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 09 Nov 2005, 21:23:33

Hi Anne!

Welcome aboard! :-D

Feel free to contact me via private message with any questions you may have about the site's use.

MonteQuest
Senior Moderator
Peakoil.com
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Barbara » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 05:20:20

Welcome Annie!
Glad to see another girl around here! ;)

I think I'll ask Dale Allen soon for an interview for italian press... I'll keep you informed. Thanks a lot to both of you!

Barbara from Rome, Italy
**no english mothertongue**
--------
Objects in the rear view mirror
are closer than they appear.
Barbara
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby killJOY » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 06:32:49

Dale is a great writer! His essay Eating Fossil Fuels was one of my first introductions to peak oil. He has also published something of mine, but in the interests of anonymity.....

Glad to see you here.
Peak oil = comet Kohoutek.
killJOY
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby annie » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 20:34:40

Barbara wrote:Welcome Annie!
Glad to see another girl around here! ;)

I think I'll ask Dale Allen soon for an interview for italian press... I'll keep you informed. Thanks a lot to both of you!

Barbara from Rome, Italy

Thanks Barbara,
Yes, it becoming very clear that women need to become informed about peak oil. I look forward to hearing from you.

Annie
annie
Wood
Wood

Unread postby annie » Thu 10 Nov 2005, 20:37:52

killJOY wrote:Dale is a great writer! His essay Eating Fossil Fuels was one of my first introductions to peak oil. He has also published something of mine, but in the interests of anonymity.....

Glad to see you here.

Thanks for the kind words about Dale. He is a great guy, too. Because he wants people to be able to survive in the upcoming peak. Not just from what he knows about peak and survival but as a joint effort of collective minds working together.

Annie
annie
Wood
Wood

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome