Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil debate

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Help with my Peak Oil debate

Unread postby azreal60 » Sat 10 Sep 2005, 11:16:52

I would have posted some responses there, but it isn't letting me yet. As soon as they give me the ability to post i'll be sure to include all my reasons why i do believe in peak oil.
Azreal60
azreal60
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Help with my Peak Oil debate

Unread postby some_guy282 » Sat 10 Sep 2005, 21:26:46

Stovepipe wrote:
some_guy282 wrote:Bartlett lecture

You should watch that video yourself if you havn't yet. See if you can get this other guy to watch it too. If that doesn't shut him up, nothing will.

the link doesn't work for me.

That's strange. It works for me. You can find the original link in this thread. Maybe you can try the download version?
In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. – Nietzsche

Time makes more converts than reason. – Thomas Paine

History is a set of lies agreed upon. – Napoleon Bonaparte
some_guy282
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Ultimate PO Debate team?

Unread postby lateStarter » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 18:14:44

Remember when you were in HS or college and occasionally you heard something about a 'debate team'? Usually it consisted of four of the most off-beat individuals (think: marching to a different drummer) on campus. Unusually bright, articulate (in their own way), and unflappable (meaning: not subject to normal rules of logic). My question: who here, would you nominate to the ultimate PO debate team? Pick 4.

My initial offering: holmes, Raphael, qwerty, and Lorenzo. Miki could serve as an alternate.

Think - debate team from hell. Who would you hate to face? And why? I think my team, would kick your teams ass... Or at least give your team a bad headache. On any subject. Cheers..
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Ultimate PO Debate team?

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 18:29:25

Assuming we can't duplicate members:

EndDays
clueless
sciencegirl
oil4u
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby holmes » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 18:37:37

The problem with me is that I would excuse myself for a bathroom break and come back with a big rock and crush the persons Im debating skull. especially if it was a developer. LOL. Just kidding.
We need to build an entropic ecological debat team. PMS would be the debate coach. fun stuff. We would all have to be armed to the teeth as well. We would get many threats and possible attacks.
"To crush the Cornucopians, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lateStarter » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 18:39:21

rogerhb wrote:Assuming we can't duplicate members:

EndDays
clueless
sciencegirl
oil4u

Sorry, duplicates are allowed...

All good choices though! Can you picture it? After opening arguements from Lorenzo and clueless, Raphael and EndDays step up for the counter. Should I save holmes for last?
We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lateStarter » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 18:45:36

holmes wrote:The problem with me is that I would excuse myself for a bathroom break and come back with a big rock and crush the persons Im debating skull. especially if it was a developer. LOL. Just kidding.
We need to build an entropic ecological debat team. PMS would be the debate coach. fun stuff. We would all have to be armed to the teeth as well. We would get many threats and possible attacks.

holmes brings up a good point (naturally - he is on my team!) - we need to specify who is our debate team coach.

And rogerhb - you forgot to specify your alternate.

After the teams have been picked, the topic will be picked. Nominate your team now!
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 19:05:06

lateStarter wrote:And rogerhb - you forgot to specify your alternate.

For very different reasons, I will nominate Jaws as the alternate.

Not because of being left field but by a hyper-rational application of the Austrian School which normally catches people off guard.
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers." - Henry Louis Mencken
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:29:29

A good debater needs to understand human psychology. He/she needs to know what makes people tick. That requires empathy and experience. You can't just rail against your opponents; if they aren't just evil maniacs, you have to know where they are coming from. Learn from them and test you own convictions. With a little humor and a lot of savvy, you might win the debate. But there's no guarantee. And sure, holmes, I'd love to be the coach. Hell, put me on the squad!
Last edited by PenultimateManStanding on Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:35:13, edited 1 time in total.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:34:20

PenultimateManStanding wrote:A good debater needs to understand human psycology.

I was going by the original remit, and wanting people who wouldn't tire or get disheartened.
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:39:20

rogerhb wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:A good debater needs to understand human psycology.

I was going by the original remit, and wanting people who wouldn't tire or get disheartened.
Damn, rog, I just finished correcting my mispelling of "psychology" and you come in with this. But beyond that, what are you talking about? "original remit," "disheartened?" What are you talking about?
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rogerhb » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:45:34

PenultimateManStanding wrote:what are talking about? "original remit," "disheartened?" What are you talking about?

lateStarter wrote:articulate (in their own way), and unflappable (meaning: not subject to normal rules of logic)
rogerhb
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PenultimateManStanding » Tue 05 Sep 2006, 20:53:14

rogerhb wrote:
PenultimateManStanding wrote:what are talking about? "original remit," "disheartened?" What are you talking about?

lateStarter wrote:articulate (in their own way), and unflappable (meaning: not subject to normal rules of logic)
Ah, I get what you are saying. Sorry pal, I am both articulate, and schooled in logic. Its an arcane and obscure part of Western education anymore, but I took it and reveled in it. I understand that computer science was built upon logic. I enjoyed it very much. The prof said that Asian women were the best at it, but I equalled them, probably surpassed therm. And for qwerty, I play a mean game of chess too.
PenultimateManStanding
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Miki » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 08:21:43

lateStarter wrote:My initial offering: holmes, Raphael, qwerty, and Lorenzo. Miki could serve as an alternate.

So just because these people disagree with what you think, that makes them illogical? Perhaps I did not understand your idea of debate?
Miki
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby lateStarter » Wed 06 Sep 2006, 10:56:51

Ok, let me clarify the selection process a bit for your ultimate PO debate team. I am not talking about a serious, rational debate.

Imagine for a moment that you were on a typical serious, rational debate team (relatively normal, understood psychology, etc as PMS pointed out) and you were up against my team (holmes, Raphael, qwerty, and Lorenzo). There is no way you could 'win' the debate in the way that these events are normally judged. Even if the judges handed you the victory, my team would not and could not acknowledge defeat.

BTW, Miki has been removed as my alternate. She is too rational. I need to search though the HOF for a more appropriate addition to my team. AIM9x looks promising...
lateStarter
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby holmes » Thu 07 Sep 2006, 18:31:50

seldom seen gots to be on it. he is a smooth talker.
"To crush the Cornucopians, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
holmes
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Peak oil debate

Unread postby Armageddon » Mon 08 Jan 2007, 19:56:42

I am in the process of setting up a peak oil debate on coast to coast am. Jerome Corsi has agreed to another one. I have e-mailed Richard Heinberg to see if he is interested, but havent heard back yet. Corsi is in the abiotic corner and thinks PO is a scam. He says there is more oil now than ever before in history. We need somebody who is an excellent debater to go toe to toe with him and submit facts as to why PO is real. This radio show is heard by millions worldwide, and this could open some eyes. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Peak oil debate

Unread postby TITAN » Mon 08 Jan 2007, 22:24:35

Kunstler, perhaps?

Paul Roberts?
"There will be another US civil war by 2015" - my old quote/prediction made years ago. Now that the establishment and evil of Hillary has been vanquished, America can be made great again.
TITAN
Coal
Coal

Unread postby pup55 » Mon 08 Jan 2007, 22:29:55

Goodstein, perhaps. He is usually up for this sort of thing, plus he is on the west coast so no problem staying up late.

Or maybe Boone Pickens.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Armageddon » Mon 08 Jan 2007, 22:39:32

If any experts are reading this thread, pm me so we can put it togather. George Noory said he is working on a corsi / scott ritter ( UN inspector ) iranian debate, so it cant be real soon. But he is open to it.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion