Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Heat Waves 2023

Heat Waves 2023

Unread postby Tuike » Sat 11 Feb 2023, 16:48:44

Argentina issues health warnings amid record heat -france24
Suffering under the worst heat wave in more than six decades, Argentina has issued health warnings to nine southern and central provinces, the National Meteorological Service, said Saturday. Buenos Aires residents awoke Saturday to temperatures of 36 C with a predicted high of 38 C, which would be the highest in February in 61 years.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Heat Waves 2023

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 11 Feb 2023, 17:35:24

Tuike wrote:Argentina issues health warnings amid record heat -france24
Suffering under the worst heat wave in more than six decades, Argentina has issued health warnings to nine southern and central provinces, the National Meteorological Service, said Saturday. Buenos Aires residents awoke Saturday to temperatures of 36 C with a predicted high of 38 C, which would be the highest in February in 61 years.

At first I thought, "What's the big deal? 100 degrees F is hot, but health warnings?"

But then, looking at the article, I see this is the 6th near 40 degree C day they've had this summer (southern hemisphere). And looking at the map, Buenos Aires is a HELL of a long way south of the equator, so more like Canada, re expected temps.

So if you're elderly or sickly and you're used to thinking of 85 degrees F as very hot, then yeah, 100 degrees F would be seen as pretty nasty.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 12 Feb 2023, 15:54:00

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
So if you're elderly or sickly and you're used to thinking of 85 degrees F as very hot, then yeah, 100 degrees F would be seen as pretty nasty.

The temperature is not that important, I have worked in 40-C temps and as long as its dry you sweat and cool down. High humidity is the killer. I have had to down tools at 9am, 32-C but 75% humidity. It's a simple fact of biology that most all of the media fail to report, that the human body in hot conditions is cooled by the evaporation of perspiration. If the air around you is nearly saturated with water this can't occur and what would be the latent heat of evaporation, stays in your body.

Drinking heaps of water is useless as well, unless it's super chilled. Though this is the typical media remedy for hot days.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Mon 13 Feb 2023, 06:48:38

theluckycountry wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:

The temperature is not that important, I have worked in 40-C temps and as long as its dry you sweat and cool down. High humidity is the killer. I have had to down tools at 9am, 32-C but 75% humidity. It's a simple fact of biology that most all of the media fail to report, that the human body in hot conditions is cooled by the evaporation of perspiration. If the air around you is nearly saturated with water this can't occur and what would be the latent heat of evaporation, stays in your body.

Drinking heaps of water is useless as well, unless it's super chilled. Though this is the typical media remedy for hot days.

What you are referring to are Wet Bulb Tempetures WBT's here s the WIKI link to explain it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature

A WTB is the temp of a thermometer that is covered with 100% humidity and has no evaporation. This is normally around 35-C where it becomes fatal after just a few hours, because your sweat no longer cools you due to no evaporation.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, in Riyadh with a 10% humidity and 50 - C, I was never colder than getting out of our pool!

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 21 Apr 2023, 04:28:07

Large swathes of Asia are sweltering through record breaking temperatures -cnn
April and May are typically the hottest months of the year for South and Southeast Asia as temperatures rise before monsoon rains begin and bring some relief. But the heat in Thailand has been compounded by an intense smoggy season that has caused pollution levels to spike. ... The scorching temperatures have also been widespread across China. On Tuesday, the country saw temperatures as high as 42.4°C (108°F) in Yuanyang, in the southeast – only 0.3°C from the country-wide record for April, according to Herrera. On Monday, more than 100 weather stations in 12 provinces broke their April temperature record, according to climatologist Jim Yang. Although not record-breaking in most cases, the heat has also been prevalent – and deadly – across South Asia. Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangladesh have all seen temperatures topping 40°C (104°F) for many days.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 21 Apr 2023, 13:48:19

Australia has just come out of 3 years of LaNina, the longest, or second longest such cool/wet period in our history. Mid April here and 4AM, the temp is 18-deg C outside, very warm for this location this time of year. I quite enjoy it actually, I get to ride my bike is moderate temps before the sun comes up (no traffic) and I don't need to rug up. But I know what next summer will be like, like a bloody oven. If there wasn't air conditioning I'd be digging a cellar by now.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 21 Apr 2023, 22:02:19

theluckycountry wrote:Australia has just come out of 3 years of LaNina, the longest, or second longest such cool/wet period in our history. Mid April here and 4AM, the temp is 18-deg C outside, very warm for this location this time of year. I quite enjoy it actually, I get to ride my bike is moderate temps before the sun comes up (no traffic) and I don't need to rug up. But I know what next summer will be like, like a bloody oven. If there wasn't air conditioning I'd be digging a cellar by now.

Back in the late 1970's or early 1980's I read a novel set in an opal mining town in the Australian desert. In the novel the entire community had excavated private homes on the sides of the shaft of an earlier abandoned mine and everyone lived in cool comfort in the middle of the desert protected by 10 meters of overhead soil and rock from the climate conditions. I was young enough when I read it that the message sunk in quite solidly, humans can adapt to nearly any climate when motivated to do so. In the case of the excavated mining town food was imported by selling the opals they produced but the message is still valid, adaptation to changing climate is our best hope for a happy future.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 22 Apr 2023, 13:37:22

That sounds like Lightening Ridge, or Coober Pedy, Hell holes. Many forget, many Australians, that Australia is basically desert once you move inland 500 km or so.

Cooper Pedey https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=-29.01207 ... .6&style=a

I envisaged people working outdoors at night, sleeping during the day, sort of like the Fremen in the novel "Dune" Daylight saving is a mild form of that switch
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 May 2023, 23:24:38

Tuike wrote:scorching temperatures have ... been widespread across China. On Tuesday, the country saw temperatures as high as 42.4°C (108°F) in Yuanyang, in the southeast – only 0.3°C from the country-wide record for April, according to Herrera. On Monday, more than 100 weather stations in 12 provinces broke their April temperature record, according to climatologist Jim Yang. Although not record-breaking in most cases, the heat has also been prevalent – and deadly – across South Asia. Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangladesh have all seen temperatures topping 40°C (104°F) for many days.[/i]

VietNAM just saw an all time record temperature over 44* C....and its not even summer yet-----its still early May.

vietnam-records-highest-ever-temperature-of-44.1c

And Vietnam is humid too........I was just there and I can personally attest to the humidy..

AND Vietnam uses coal for the bulk of their electricity so the air quality is really bad there too.

AND it's going to get even hotter in June, July and August.

I really enjoyed my visit to Vietnam and I really liked the Vietnamese culture and the people there....but they are screwed. Global warming is going to hit them very hard.

There are no solutions to global warming in Vietnam. No one country can do much along.....stopping global warming will take a new UN climate treaty to force CO2 reductions on everyone in every country everywhere all at once.....

But then, global warming is going to hit everybody everywhere hard.

AND....its coming sooner then people think. NOW that La Nina has ended this could turn out to be the warmest year ever global warming over the entire planet.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 08 May 2023, 05:03:52

Just follow the meme, and don't forget, buying expensive corporate bottled water is safer for you.

après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 08 May 2023, 09:56:09

theluckycountry wrote:Just follow the meme, and don't forget, buying expensive corporate bottled water is safer for you.

Maybe in provincial areas and countries like yours, or places deliberately torpedoed by local politicians underserving their communites like Flint Michigan or Jackson Mississippi. I recommend not living in places where the politicians themselves allow this stuff to happen, be it small towns in America or backwater coutries that can't manage Ferris wheels either.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 08 May 2023, 21:57:14

AdamB wrote:
theluckycountry wrote:Just follow the meme, and don't forget, buying expensive corporate bottled water is safer for you.

Maybe in provincial areas and countries like yours, or places deliberately torpedoed by local politicians underserving their communites like Flint Michigan or Jackson Mississippi. I recommend not living in places where the politicians themselves allow this stuff to happen, be it small towns in America or backwater coutries that can't manage Ferris wheels either.

It took years before our daughter-inlaw who came from Moldova would drink tap water. I suspect this is common among immigrants coming from places where the tap water is not safe to drink.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 09 May 2023, 19:20:35

Anyone in any place aside from the Sahara can put in a water tank and drink from that. Those that complain are just too lazy to go to the effort to install one. I have been drinking rainwater for nearly a decade, I began when the state government here began adding Fluoride to the water supply. In the first months the premier went on the mass media telling people to flush out their pipes because the lads at the treatment plant had accidentally put twice the recommended dose in the water and that it wasn't safe to drink :? But what's the recommended dose? What if you're a construction worker and drink 3 times as much as a mouse pusher in an air conditioned office?

It was all bullshit and I wanted no part of it. Today people in many local council regions across the state of Queensland have rejected it and their councils have removed it from the water supply. The only ones that still have it in are the heavily populated ones in the SE where the Capital is. That's city people in a nutshell. Brainless sheep.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ive-debate

Once fluoride crosses the blood-brain barrier, it causes degeneration in certain regions of the brain, specifically the hippocampus, neocortex, and cerebellum. The hippocampus is considered the seat of memory and is critical for learning, emotional regulation, and turning off the stress response.

https://bebrainfit.com/fluoride-neuroto ... 20response.

I suspect Adam drinks a lot of Fluoridated water :roll:

With 3 main effects being observed:
Reduced intelligence (lowered IQ)
Neurobehavioral defects (ADHD)
Impaired capacity to learn & remember

https://truthaboutfluoride.com/what-doe ... the-brain/

The controversy was heightened when the world’s most respected medical journal recently classified fluoride officially as a dangerous neurotoxin.

https://healthyfocus.org/fluoride-harmful-neurotoxin/
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/featu ... jean-choi/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 09 May 2023, 23:41:58

Its estimated that 70,000 people died during an extreme heat wave in Europe in 2003......it was the worst heat wave in 400+ years.

2003_European_heat_wave

Very few of these people died from a lack of water to drink. There is no lack of water in Europe. The tens of thousands of people who died in the 2003 European heat wave died because their bodies couldn't handle the heat stress.

Yes, people can die from lack of water during a heat wave.....but people who have access to water can also die due to heat stress on their bodies.

The bottom line is that more intense and more frequent heat waves means more deaths will be caused by extreme heat.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby kublikhan » Wed 05 Jul 2023, 11:56:57

At least 22 countries have recorded maximum temperatures of 50C (122F) or above. Monday, July 3, was the hottest day ever recorded globally, according to data from the United States National Centers for Environmental Prediction.

The highest temperature ever recorded in Europe was 48.8C (119.8F) on the Italian island of Sicily on August 11, 2021. On July 19, 2022, The United Kingdom recorded its highest-ever temperature, reaching 40.2C (104.4F), according to its Meteorological Office. In 2020, Seymour Island in Antarctica recorded a maximum temperature of 20.7C (69.3F).

The world is getting hotter
Earth’s global average surface temperature in 2020 tied with 2016 as the warmest year on record. Collectively, the past eight years have been the warmest since modern record-keeping began in the 1880s, according to NASA.

Mapping the hottest temperatures around the world
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 15:12:42

We're on track to see global temperatures go above +1.5 C.

The liars and fools and gullible idiots who crafted the Paris Climate Accords and then boasted about it have now utterly failed.

The con men and liars in the media who cheered the passage of the Paris Climate Accords have been shown to be fools.

The climate record since the Paris Accords is now plain to see.....

The Paris Climate Accords didn't result in lower CO2 emissions.

The Paris Climate Accords didn't slow global warming.

AND

The Paris Climate Accords have utterly failed to prevent the global climate from continuing to warm by 1.5° C, even thought that was one of the main pledges coming out of that phony, lying dishonest, fraudulent, green-washing, incompetent, and even criminal act of stupidity known as the Paris Climate Accords. And it took less than a DECADE!!!!!! And, thanks to the same kind of dishonesty and fraud and lies coming from our current crop of political leaders, we'll be at +2.0 C in global waring before you know it. SHEESH!!!! :x 8) :roll:

The lying liars who promised in the Paris Climate Accords to keep global warming below 1.5° C are a bunch of liars!

CHEERS!!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 15:24:02

Plantagenet wrote: at +2.0 C

But how bad is +2K? You move a little north and a little inland. Done deal.

I just visited a geological museum in a temperate climate. It showed the region 20M years ago. It was tropical.
And it showed the region 20k years ago. Glaciers.

+2K, what's the big deal?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 15:56:52

mousepad wrote:
Plantagenet wrote: at +2.0 C

But how bad is +2K? You move a little north and a little inland. Done deal.

It's not that simple.

I live in central Alaska....about as far north and inland as you can get. The climate change signal is BIGGER then the global average at high latitudes, and I can see there is going to be serious trouble when we lose the Arctic ice cover.

mousepad wrote:
I just visited a geological museum in a temperate climate. It showed the region 20M years ago. It was tropical.
And it showed the region 20k years ago. Glaciers.

+2K, what's the big deal?

I asked Guy McPherson a similar question when he was visiting and giving talks here in Alaska a few years ago. McPHerson is the guy who keeps predicting human extinction will occur due to climate change.

Prof. McPherson said the things he worries about is food supplies.

As the climate changes it affects growing conditions in the major food growing areas of the world.

I've been watching this issue since then, and already we've got a drought causing crop failures in the US midwest.

IMHO there's a good chance we are going to see large scale crop failures and then major famine as the climate continues to warm and change.

Famine is coming to a neighborhood near you

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 20:02:29

Famine <=> Extinction

In fact it takes a great deal to cause extinction of any species that does not have a severely limited geographic range and right now humans are living from the Arctic coastline to the South Pole. Granted most people do not feed themselves, but with a world population over 8 billion strong in every climate zone that exists you could kill off 99 percent and still have a perfectly workable population to grow into the new climates that will emerge.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 06 Jul 2023, 20:29:08

I think the point is not that we are at 1.5C or 2.0C but that the in rease will continue for some rather long time.

If we stopped TODAY, went to net zero today what would the ultimate temperature rise be and when?

Anyone gave an estimated range?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate