Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Federal Reserve announces July launch for the FedNow Service

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Federal Reserve announces July launch for the FedNow Service

Unread postby jato0072 » Fri 17 Mar 2023, 11:52:35

Link

"We couldn't be more excited about the forthcoming FedNow launch, which will enable every participating financial institution, the smallest to the largest and from all corners of the country, to offer a modern instant payment solution," said Ken Montgomery, first vice president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and FedNow program executive. "With the launch drawing near, we urge financial institutions and their industry partners to move full steam ahead with preparations to join the FedNow Service."

Some people say this FedNow system is the precursor to CBDCs in the United States.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Federal Reserve announces July launch for the FedNow Ser

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 17 Mar 2023, 19:31:01

jato0072 wrote:Link

"We couldn't be more excited about the forthcoming FedNow launch, which will enable every participating financial institution, the smallest to the largest and from all corners of the country, to offer a modern instant payment solution," said Ken Montgomery, first vice president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston and FedNow program executive. "With the launch drawing near, we urge financial institutions and their industry partners to move full steam ahead with preparations to join the FedNow Service."

Some people say this FedNow system is the precursor to CBDCs in the United States.

I hadn't heard about this before. Could you please explain a bit about why this is important?

Is the FEDNOW service for banks to pay each money.....? Who pays and who gets paid and what are they paying for?

AND

What is a CBDC?

Elucidate, please......

THANKS!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jato0072 » Fri 17 Mar 2023, 21:06:51

Google wrote:105 countries, representing over 95% of global GDP, are exploring a CBDC.

CBDC edumication video <--- This one is really good. Start here.

CBDC Update

Fed Now edumication video

The upsides of CBDCs (Central Bank Digital Currencies) are pretty obvious.
The downside will be increased government surveillance on all transactions (once the system is fully implemented). Worse is the "programmability" of individual currencies.

Some examples of programable control could be:
Carbon Credits tied to your ability to spend your digital currency.
Social Credit system tied to your digital currency.
Time limits on spending your currency.
Geo-Location where you can and can't spend your digital currency.
The government's imagination is the only limitation on what they might be able to do someday when it comes to your money.

Apparently, in the United States crypto currency and cash will no longer be accepted. Most of the 50 States are updating their commerce and commercial codes to exclude crypto currencies. Of course, cash will continued to be used during a TBA designated transition period (several years?). I have read read some countries have already stopped using cash (Sweden?).
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 17 Mar 2023, 21:25:58

jato0072 wrote:
Google wrote:105 countries, representing over 95% of global GDP, are exploring a CBDC.

That isn't a bad video at all. Usually they are just half witted conspiracy nonsense, this one was a good explanation. All based on a paper, as opposed to laws passed, problems solved, real things happening, but looks like a good thought experiment.

jato0076 wrote:Apparently, in the United States crypto currency and cash will no longer be accepted. Most of the 50 States are updating their commerce and commercial codes to exclude crypto currencies. Of course, cash will continued to be used during a TBA designated transition period (several years?). I have read read some countries have already stopped using cash (Sweden?).

I didn't notice in the first video much about the US, it was based on an EU analysis. And the US has always wanted cash to not be accepted, if only because of tax collection. I'll bet it won't be any easier than taking away their guns.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 17 Mar 2023, 23:31:19

AdamB wrote:I didn't notice in the first video much about the US, it was based on an EU analysis. And the US has always wanted cash to not be accepted, if only because of tax collection. I'll bet it won't be any easier than taking away their guns.

Except for criminals, large amounts of physical cash are already illegal to use and shunned by most businesses.

Good luck depositing a briefcase full of cash with a legitimate stock broker, for example. (My full service broker just laughed and told a guy who tried to do that, that he couldn't accept that about 35 years ago. I was sitting in his office trading options on an old green screen (before the internet was a big thing), and heard/saw it happen.) With all the worries about terrorism, etc. in the more modern era, all that just got worse. I had to basically sign some stupid thing declaring I wasn't involved in any terrorism to open various bank and brokerage accounts 15ish years ago, re 911 homeland security laws as I recall).

Also, the VAST VAST majority of transactions are already done with digital cash via credit (or debit) cards, or cash transferred electronically through banks via things like ACH (automated clearinghouse), wires, or various bank services to make payments on things like bills, regular payments like rent or mortgages, etc.

Since Covid started I basically have done nothing with any physical cash, and haven't missed it at all. And government can already use credit cards for things like cracking down on tax cheats (I know a guy who does that for his job in my state re businesses, for example). One exception, I do carry around some cash in my wallet (some 20's and 5's) just out of habit, in case credit cards don't work. One day that happened someplace and the clerk was fooling around and apologizing, and I asked if good old fashioned cash would work (advantages of being old school), and he just laughed and said that would be great.

If digital coins are used instead of currency X and the government BACKS it and insures it and ensures the technology is reliable, then for honest people who pay their taxes, I don't see how that's meaningfully different than today's currency and modern electronic banking (including digital payment apps via phone) AS LONG AS there is some good form of backup of the technology goes haywire.

Maybe just as insurance against that, that's enough reason to have gold coins, junk silver coins, etc. Or if you can have some physical cash that will be accepted in the rare event the technology breaks down, that works too.

Governments want to collect taxes due. To the extent technology helps them do that, yeah, they'll like that. As an honest person who doesn't want to be mugged for my physical cash, I've always considered things like credit cards to be a huge plus.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby careinke » Sun 19 Mar 2023, 20:38:52

AdamB wrote:
jato0072 wrote:

That isn't a bad video at all. Usually they are just half witted conspiracy nonsense, this one was a good explanation. All based on a paper, as opposed to laws passed, problems solved, real things happening, but looks like a good thought experiment.

jato0076 wrote:Apparently, in the United States crypto currency and cash will no longer be accepted. Most of the 50 States are updating their commerce and commercial codes to exclude crypto currencies. Of course, cash will continued to be used during a TBA designated transition period (several years?). I have read read some countries have already stopped using cash (Sweden?).

I didn't notice in the first video much about the US, it was based on an EU analysis. And the US has always wanted cash to not be accepted, if only because of tax collection. I'll bet it won't be any easier than taking away their guns.

Adam, here is the U.S Fed Reserve Boards You Tube Channel on FED Pay. It is actually the same the same thing as any other CBDC except they put a coat of lipstick on this pig. But it least you can see the real thing (Propaganda), the FED's are shilling. Expect it on line by July.
https://www.youtube.com/@FRBServices

Probably the main reason I'm into Bitcoin, fear of CBDC's.

Peace (Gray and Black economies are economies too!)
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 02 Apr 2023, 10:44:04

I recently ran across something interesting. I figured it was propaganda, but maybe it isn't?

I was watching some near death experience stories on YouTube. One of them was from a woman who claimed she died and Jesus told her what would happen over the next several years. She was supposed to use it to convince her husband of her story. She said that the US was going to ditch the dollar and embrace a digital currency in 2024.

That switchover was the central theme of her NDE. When I heard that I thought, whoever laid that propaganda down is at least as clever as the Russians. You know, figuring out that they could form a nucleus of adherence around an anti-Hilary message that could really take them places. The Russians can think pretty far ahead, while Cletus has trouble even organizing his inbox. Cletus is also a little bit color blind. You can change the color of red he is looking at, sometimes ever so slightly, and he most likely won't even notice.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 03 Apr 2023, 14:36:48

careinke wrote:Adam, here is the U.S Fed Reserve Boards You Tube Channel on FED Pay. It is actually the same the same thing as any other CBDC except they put a coat of lipstick on this pig. But it least you can see the real thing (Propaganda), the FED's are shilling. Expect it on line by July.
https://www.youtube.com/@FRBServices

Probably the main reason I'm into Bitcoin, fear of CBDC's.

Peace (Gray and Black economies are economies too!)

I checked out the videos, and then ran off and checked out the written claims of the advocates, when it appears to be starting (July 2023) and what the point is. It does look like the one claimed for Europe. No mention was made of using it to ban cash and whatnot, and it does look like it will be an easy sell to anyone using digital payment methods now, I know the wife and one kid are big time all digital, all the time payment types. The girl and the boy don't want anything to do with a check, or even cash if they can avoid it.

I'm betting with just that limited perspective, it will be an easy sell for younger folks, regardless of how it might end up being misused in the long run.

I drive the wife bonkers because when I travel I carry cash, and she has gravitated towards the kids and modern systems versus old fuddy duddys like me. I've watched her learn this Zelle stuff, even with transactions between her and another individual she sold something too. They agree on the price, the person whips out their phone and hits some buttons, the wife checks her account and presto...money has arrived. It is pretty slick. I hand out greenbacks, and usually expect them in return. I've got a motorcycle for sale right now, and when folks want you to take them seriously I've never heard them say, "I've got a Zelle account and want to buy now!". If they did say that, I'd be clueless, and just respond "how about XX $100 bills instead?".
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 07 Apr 2023, 23:40:49

AdamB wrote: I hand out greenbacks, and usually expect them in return. I've got a motorcycle for sale right now, and when folks want you to take them seriously I've never heard them say, "I've got a Zelle account and want to buy now!". If they did say that, I'd be clueless, and just respond "how about XX $100 bills instead?".

This reminds me of an article I read about a thing called Alipay, which is apparently ubiquitous in China. Some guy traveling in China found out he couldn't even buy fast food with cash, as vendors / shopkeepers wanted Alipay and that's it. And in the beginning they'd say "Alipay" when he'd pull out cash, and he'd say, "What?", and they'd say "ALIPAY!", and he'd say, "Ali-WHAT?" and it would go downhill from there.

If they're going to do this in July and make it work, they'll need to have some sort of educational resource for stores and normal folks, or let it come into play gradually, or it will be absolute CHAOS.

For example, what are the guarantees if it doesn't work? Can I still use a credit card if the US CBDC network is down or having a problem? Do I need new cards with new chips? Do I need a smart phone with government app(s) set up and working?

I have some clue about technology (though it gets more out of date each year, overall). What about folks with little clue, especially the elderly? They're NOT going to just let the economy collapse as this transition occurs -- that much I'm certain of.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby jato0072 » Mon 17 Apr 2023, 23:18:54

Digital Currency Monetary Authority launches international CBDC

The Digital Currency Monetary Authority (DCMA) has launched an international central bank digital currency (CBDC).

DCMA launches the Universal Monetary Unit (UMU)

The Universal Monetary Unit (UMU), symbolized as Ü, can transact in any legal tender settlement currency and is designed to enforce banking regulations and protect the financial integrity of the international banking system.

Also known as Unicoin, UMU is powered by artificial intelligence and adopts a central banking monetary policy framework to ensure it has continuous purchasing demand, minimal price volatility and annual asset pricing targets.

Well, that didn't take long! Who is the DCMA? More reading to do...
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 18 Apr 2023, 09:38:32

jato0072 wrote:Digital Currency Monetary Authority launches international CBDC

The Digital Currency Monetary Authority (DCMA) has launched an international central bank digital currency (CBDC).

DCMA launches the Universal Monetary Unit (UMU)

The Universal Monetary Unit (UMU), symbolized as Ü, can transact in any legal tender settlement currency and is designed to enforce banking regulations and protect the financial integrity of the international banking system.

Also known as Unicoin, UMU is powered by artificial intelligence and adopts a central banking monetary policy framework to ensure it has continuous purchasing demand, minimal price volatility and annual asset pricing targets.

Well, that didn't take long! Who is the DCMA? More reading to do...

Looks to specialize in cross border/currency transactions?

I'm more interested in any legal mandates to use the new US based system. You know TPTB are going to love this thing in terms of tracking money movement, it'll become a main metric of Fed outlooks, the real concern is it becoming a requirement at some point rather than a "I don't have to use it if I don't want to".

I'm still quite happy with cash transactions for vehicles, firearms, and all sorts of other sundry items, but that makes the tax man unhappy I imagine, so it MUST be cured at some point. How are drug dealers going to get paid if cash starts getting squeezed out? Or hookers! 8O What happens to bank teller employment figures? Armed truck security guards and drivers?

I probably don't have to worry about it much in my time left on this planet, but I imagine the conspiracy folks are going to have a field day with it.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Tue 18 Apr 2023, 18:59:24

AdamB wrote:I probably don't have to worry about it much in my time left on this planet, but I imagine the conspiracy folks are going to have a field day with it.

We need a name for people who are an advocate of a Conspiracy Theory that later turns out to be a fact. I've sort of been looking, but can not find one. 8)

How about "Vindicated", or Truth Seeker, or perhaps Cassandra??? If I remember correctly, this site used to have a "Cassandra" on it.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 18 Apr 2023, 19:06:20

The World Economic Forum is working on an "individual carbon footprint tracker" to monitor people's movements, what they eat, and essentially every other aspect of their life.

Youtube - Individual Carbon Footprint Tracker

Not conspiracy, but an agenda.
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 18 Apr 2023, 19:20:35

careinke wrote:
AdamB wrote:I probably don't have to worry about it much in my time left on this planet, but I imagine the conspiracy folks are going to have a field day with it.

We need a name for people who are an advocate of a Conspiracy Theory that later turns out to be a fact. I've sort of been looking, but can not find one. 8)

And we need a better epithet for those who fall for every cock and bull conspiracy claim.

careinke wrote:How about "Vindicated", or Truth Seeker, or perhaps Cassandra??? If I remember correctly, this site used to have a "Cassandra" on it.
Peace

We would have to agree that a conspiracy has become the truth of course, prior to anointing them. "Vindicated", doesn't do it for me, Ruppert dubbed himself "Tracker of Truth" if I recall, and was just a yellow journalism specialist, his main claim to fame apparently being having claimed to cure himself of alcoholism. By drinking alcohol and smoking peyote, if memory serves. Now that is some level of courage, claiming the title while being just another crackpot. What do we call those folks, charlatans?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 19 Apr 2023, 02:35:17

jato0072 wrote:Some people say this FedNow system is the precursor to CBDCs in the United States.

Fednow, cbdc, it all boils down to the cashless society in the end, which has been in the making for many decades. I remember back in the 1980's fringe speakers in town halls were claiming the cashless society was on the way due to the CC system and the ATM card/ EFTPOS card. Well that was the height of the cash economy here in Oz and no one took much notice of them. The trouble with conspiracies is they are typically long in the planning and well hidden from the public eye. I bet when the Early settlers were conspiring to drive the British from American soil and take power (and taxes) for themselves they didn't advertise it in the local papers lol.

And here we are, with whole nations claiming they are ready to go cashless and test cases abounding. EFTPOS CBDC, it's all the same in the end, no more privacy, they will know exactly how much beer you drink and how many condoms you buy. It won't effect me in such regards but if the government decides to access the information in their appraisal of job applicants it could be a deal breaker for many. Social media has already become the go to place for employers to decide on the suitability of an applicant.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 19 Apr 2023, 14:08:57

theluckycountry wrote: I remember back in the 1980's fringe speakers in town halls were claiming the cashless society was on the way due to the CC system and the ATM card/ EFTPOS card. Well that was the height of the cash economy here in Oz and no one took much notice of them.

Well sure, but no one pays attention to what residents of banana (in this case quite literally) republics say, let alone those subservient to foreign masters, be they the Brits or the Chinese.

theluckycountry wrote: The trouble with conspiracies is they are typically long in the planning and well hidden from the public eye.

The trouble with conspiracies is they are often claimed and rarely occurring, and more confused with "bad people doing bad things out of the public eye" than anything else. Any halfwit can claim them, and do.

theluckycountry wrote:I bet when the Early settlers were conspiring to drive the British from American soil and take power (and taxes) for themselves they didn't advertise it in the local papers lol.

I'll bet when the brave and exceptional Americans to be were making plans to throw off the British yoke they kept it as quiet as they could until the war started. Probably why others have always bent the knee to the powerful, and never had what it took to do otherwise. Here are just the first three of the cowardly countries in alpha order of the Commonwealth from wiki, still bowing and scraping because they can't come up with what Americans had a quarter of a millennia ago.

Antigua and Barbuda (monarchy) Gaston Browne
Australia (monarchy) Anthony Albanese
Bahamas (monarchy) Philip Davis

theluckycountry wrote:And here we are, with whole nations claiming they are ready to go cashless and test cases abounding.

The good thing being, just as exceptional individuals in some countries had what it took to throw off the yoke while all others can to is suckle at the teat of the state to this very day, those folks will probably resist quite heartily, if so inclined. I understand that others will just bend the knee even before they are asked because..well...some folks have always been that way. Americans beyond having more Nobel Prize winners than everyone else, also had some great men and women, and one of them knew this, while others (such as those 3 countries listed above) probably won't ever understand.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Economics & Finance