Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Urgent action needed

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Do you agree?

Poll ended at Tue 25 Nov 2008, 21:33:46

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 14

Urgent action needed

Unread postby calgapa1 » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 21:33:46

What worries me the most of declining oil capacity is that the cost of building the components of renewable power systems (Solar PV or Wind Turbine generators) would go up so much as to them unafordable.
calgapa1
Wood
Wood

Re: Urgent action needed

Unread postby JPL » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 22:39:23

calgapa1 wrote:What worries me the most of declining oil capacity is that the cost of building the components of renewable power systems (Solar PV or Wind Turbine generators) would go up so much as to them unafordable.

+1.5

Very astute first post (grin)

JP
Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all
The needle returns to the start of the song
And we all sing along like before

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 22:43:49

I hope we actually start to do something soon. I would say that urgent action is definitely needed. Unfortunately the way things work I don't think it will happen.

I could be wrong. Obama may be able to do something.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby JPL » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 22:53:38

Revi wrote:I hope we actually start to do something soon. I would say that urgent action is definitely needed. Unfortunately the way things work I don't think it will happen.

I could be wrong. Obama may be able to do something.

LOL this is a global problem.

JP

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Sat 15 Nov 2008, 22:57:18

It is a global problem, but it needs to be solved at the local level.

If Obama can put us on the path to reduced energy use it would solve a multitude of problems.

It's awfully hard to change a culture, though.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Kristjan » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 07:47:41

Of course we need urgent action. Obama has pledged to pour $150B into renewables over the next ten years. And during the campaign he has said that energy is his number one priority. OK, the financial and economic mess gained momentum and importance. But it still leaves energy at the top of the list for Obama. Click here for the full plan. I'm optimistic towards it all, but I'd rather not discuss the details because it's still too early to call.

If you are interested in the short term outlook for renewable energy, then here is a great podcast on the topic.
Kristjan
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 16 Nov 2008, 18:03:51

Kristjan wrote:Of course we need urgent action. Obama has pledged to pour $150B into renewables over the next ten years. And during the campaign he has said that energy is his number one priority. OK, the financial and economic mess gained momentum and importance. But it still leaves energy at the top of the list for Obama. Click here for the full plan. I'm optimistic towards it all, but I'd rather not discuss the details because it's still too early to call.

If you are interested in the short term outlook for renewable energy, then here is a great podcast on the topic.

They just gave 250 billion to the 9 largest banks in one week, spending 15 billion a year on green energy really impresses me....NOT!
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Kristjan » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 15:44:27

The idea behind spending 15 B each year is that government won't be the only one investing. They want to encourage private spending and to do that they need to increase public spending. It's the same with the PTC/ITC. It has been predicted that the extension of the PTC will lead to 300 B investments.
Kristjan
Peat
Peat

Unread postby DrBang » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 16:29:48

welcome

Dr Bang
For every question , there is a lie. For every lie, there is a truth. For every truth, there is a way. And for every way, there is a time. This is the time.
DrBang
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby davep » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 16:43:28

There is no chance that the current elite will make the changes that are necessary. They are in the pockets of global corporations. It has to be local. So stock up on guns and learn about how anarchy should really work. It's the only way (apart from barbarism) of avoiding the centralised concentration of power and money inherent in any centralised economy.

There will be a new world order. Make sure that the citizens create and enforce it.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby JPL » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 20:28:49

davep wrote:So stock up on guns and learn about how anarchy should really work. It's the only way (apart from barbarism) of avoiding the centralised concentration of power and money inherent in any centralised economy.

There will be a new world order. Make sure that the citizens create and enforce it.

Hi Davep

I'm not sure you have entirely thought this one through. Hmmph.. (hard stare).

JP

Del Amitri
JPL
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 21:09:55

Kristjan wrote:The idea behind spending 15 B each year is that government won't be the only one investing. They want to encourage private spending and to do that they need to increase public spending. It's the same with the PTC/ITC. It has been predicted that the extension of the PTC will lead to 300 B investments.

Sure, that is the theory, HOWEVER how many 3 or 5 MWe wind turbines along with associated infrastructure could be installed for 250 Billion dollars like they just passed out to the bankers in the first few weeks of the emergency stabilazation spending law? Heck even if you were paying $5,000 per kWe of nameplate capacity you could have bought 50 GWe of wind power. Deployed in the right locations those give you a reliable 18 hours a day of power, enough to take about 100 old crappy coal fired powerplants out of service.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby davep » Tue 18 Nov 2008, 04:19:53

JPL wrote:
davep wrote:So stock up on guns and learn about how anarchy should really work. It's the only way (apart from barbarism) of avoiding the centralised concentration of power and money inherent in any centralised economy.

Hi Davep

I'm not sure you have entirely thought this one through. Hmmph.. (hard stare).

JP

You're right, of course, I haven't thought it through properly. However, I was basing my statement on the Spanish Anarchists pre-Franco. They were armed and successful, both militarily and economically. The communists got the Anarchists to disarm, and they were promptly defeated by Franco. So, the desire for a well-armed populace isn't the preserve of dribbling NRA fanatics.
What we think, we become.
davep
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Unread postby TireFire » Mon 27 Mar 2023, 15:15:05

YES!!!
URGENT ACTION!
VERY URGENT ACTION!

If we don't take action now, we can all be dead by 2010!
TireFire
Peat
Peat

Return to Welcome