Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Past Peakoil.com admin Aaron has died.

Say hello, learn how to register, read the rules, get staff announcements.

Past Peakoil.com admin Aaron has died.

Unread postby MonteQuest » Mon 16 May 2022, 20:47:53

Aaron Dunlap died in his home recently. He was 58 years old. Heart issues, it seems.

Monte
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Re: Past Peakoil.com admin Aaron has died.

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 May 2022, 21:43:42

Monte;

Thanks for sharing. Very sad news.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Doly » Tue 17 May 2022, 15:10:51

I'm sorry about that. I remember him fondly. I remember somebody asked him once why he did it, and he said: "I always wanted to fight a battle against impossible odds." I loved the attitude.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 17 May 2022, 15:18:44

MonteQuest wrote:Aaron Dunlap died in his home recently. He was 58 years old. Heart issues, it seems.

Monte

Unfortunate and untimely. Did he ever get his kids situation figured out, I seem to recall him needing to stop participating here because of custody issues or something.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 17 May 2022, 21:39:39

Oh Rats! Aaron was one of the people who made me feel welcome here way back in April 2005 when I signed up instead of lurking unable to keep my opinions to myself.

The fact that his ex made it a condition of visitation that he had to leave PO.com was one of the things that really ticked me off about the way custody is handled by the US courts. Best interest of the child is only a factor in a handful of states, in most places it is presumed without question that the mother is the necessary parent with no nuance at all applied. Every relationship and family is different, there is no one size fits all solution and the meat grinder of the American custody court system should be evidence enough to prove that to everyone's satisfaction.

I had been quietly hoping that as his kids moved into adulthood he might return but this sad news makes that impossible. I know it is natural that the older I get the more friends and acquaintances will have passed on but it is still a grieving process. One of the few times in my life I saw my father in tears was when he was 62 and his best friend died of a sudden heart attack. Aaron was a fine person and I am sure those he was close to shall miss him terribly.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby careinke » Wed 18 May 2022, 04:49:48

RIP
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 18 May 2022, 09:26:01

AdamB wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:Aaron Dunlap died in his home recently. He was 58 years old. Heart issues, it seems.

Monte

Unfortunate and untimely. Did he ever get his kids situation figured out, I seem to recall him needing to stop participating here because of custody issues or something.

No, he was never able to get visitation.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 18 May 2022, 15:33:41

MonteQuest wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Monte

No, he was never able to get visitation.

Well that just absolutely sucks. Back when this place started my kids were young and are now all grown, I can't imagine what it would have felt like to have them taken away.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Doly » Thu 19 May 2022, 14:59:17

The fact that his ex made it a condition of visitation that he had to leave PO.com was one of the things that really ticked me off about the way custody is handled by the US courts.

I didn't know that! That sucks really badly. I know divorces can get pretty messy and unpleasant, but that's high up on my list of terrible exes.

It's always irritated me how religions get a free pass, politics gets almost a free pass, while other sincerely held beliefs are stuff that people feel quite happy to ignore and blackmail you about. When I say I'm vegetarian, nobody dares object because they assume it's a religious issue. When I say I don't fly, almost everybody feels free to tell me I'm weird and to stop being silly. I wish we lived in a world where you could say: "Hey, this is a major thing for me and it hurts nobody," and people would respect it. I bet Aaron's ex would not have dared to tell him to stop going to his church as condition of visitation, if Aaron was the church type, and no matter how much his ex hated his church.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jato0072 » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 18:02:42

I remember hearing Aaron on Teamspeak many years ago. RIP.
"On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."
jato0072
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 15 Jun 2022, 21:36:30

I remember Aaron.

He stepped in and fixed one of my first posts for me when I first started posting here.

Then he explained to me the correct way to put links in posts.

He was nice about it too.

May he rest in peace.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 08:17:53

Wow. This really hit me.

Aaron summed up my opinion of the future with the line:
Don't fear the peak, fear the people.

Aaron gave me a hard time when CNN wanted to come interview me for their "crazy PO prepper of the week" episode, he called me a chicken, LOL

At one point there were some loose plans to put together a PO magazine, the dead tree kind. Aaron thought he had a backer interested. Needless to say it fell through. We were pretty excited at the time.

I have good memories of our admittedly limited interactions, which is about the best one can hope for
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 08:50:17

Tanada wrote:Oh Rats! Aaron was one of the people who made me feel welcome here way back in April 2005 when I signed up instead of lurking unable to keep my opinions to myself.

The fact that his ex made it a condition of visitation that he had to leave PO.com was one of the things that really ticked me off about the way custody is handled by the US courts. Best interest of the child is only a factor in a handful of states, in most places it is presumed without question that the mother is the necessary parent with no nuance at all applied. Every relationship and family is different, there is no one size fits all solution and the meat grinder of the American custody court system should be evidence enough to prove that to everyone's satisfaction.

I had been quietly hoping that as his kids moved into adulthood he might return but this sad news makes that impossible. I know it is natural that the older I get the more friends and acquaintances will have passed on but it is still a grieving process. One of the few times in my life I saw my father in tears was when he was 62 and his best friend died of a sudden heart attack. Aaron was a fine person and I am sure those he was close to shall miss him terribly.

I dare say, among straight men, that is the best argument for gay rights, ever! I use that same argument from time to time as well. Best interest of the child is about our futures. Best interest of the child is about developing whole people. Picking one parent automatically without reference to who they really are is actively perpetuating everything that is actually wrong with society. It actively backs "the way we've always done it" to the exclusion of taking a look and going with the best choice. It is lazy and, very often, unreasonable. I don't think, in the information age, that we have an excuse for being that lazy anymore. We should be able to organize what was always too difficult before, such that we automatically defaulted to giving the mother custody and the father a monthly bill. Maybe, usually, that is right, but justice doesn't have a preference, usually. Indifference, in this case, is a better policy.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby springcreekfarmer » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 10:41:56

Well that is very sad and kind of shocking. He was a great, level-headed admin.

BAS
Patience
Aaron

RIP

I'm sure there are others who have passed on.

I miss the old PO.com

I miss Heineken, Pops, Ludi, PenultimateManStanding, PeakOiler, Montequest, Patience ( we used to seed swap ) and many others from pre-2010. There were some really good conversations in those days...

So many have moved on long ago. Like me. I used to have more posts but that got messed up along the way and I had to make a new account.

Good luck to all of you. SpringCreek.
springcreekfarmer
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 11:13:06

I believe Patience also passed away. Cancer IIRC.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 16 Jun 2022, 12:32:18

springcreekfarmer wrote:I miss the old PO.com

Yup. Those were indeed the days.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 18 Jun 2022, 11:34:33

I also wonder if Cog died? He disappeared about the time the pandemic set in.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Doly » Sat 18 Jun 2022, 14:58:50

I miss Heineken, Pops, Ludi, PenultimateManStanding, PeakOiler, Montequest, Patience ( we used to seed swap ) and many others from pre-2010. There were some really good conversations in those days...

Me too. Pops seems to be still around. I remember Monte, of course, and PenultimateManStanding. Mr Bill I also miss.

What happened? I left PO.com when I joined the local Transition Town initiative, and I only came back recently to check.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 18 Jun 2022, 19:17:14

Cog left at about the same instand as Dohboi. Doboi had announced his disgust with the site and said he would leave whe he reached some number of posts, which he did.

Cog by contrast had previously noted he did not admire folks making big swan song speech and if he would uo he would just quietly go.

He did log jn on the site occasionally for a while. I don' t know the last he logged in, I have not checked I a long time. I miss Cog. He co u ld e cantankerous but went he put his mind to it he was a very good writer and clear thinker.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 18 Jun 2022, 23:50:28

Newfie wrote:I miss Cog. He co u ld e cantankerous but went he put his mind to it he was a very good writer and clear thinker.

où sont les neiges d'anten?

Where are the snows of yesteryear?

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Welcome