Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Earth Day Teach-In (what people have not learned)

Earth Day Teach-In (what people have not learned)

Unread postby phaster » Sun 10 Apr 2022, 22:37:09

At the first Earth Day [on April 22, 1970], concerned citizens from all walks of life organized environmental teach-ins. Earth Day teach-ins educated and mobilized citizens to demand government action that protected the environment. Around the United States, people gathered to learn about the environmental degradation happening around them.

http://www.earthday.org/campaign/global-teach-in/

...unfortunately many decades after the first earth day teach-in, people essentially have no scientific understanding of climate change (according to a published paper)

http://www.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/tops.12187

AND according to polls few adults discuss global warming (nat'l avg. 35%), 2021

http://www.climatecommunication.yale.edu/visualizations-data/ycom-us/

Sigh,... there is no way to sugar coat the inconvenient truth so I put together a doodly video and on the topic of climate change science and posted it (hoping more people actually think about and discuss the subject)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uKWEJrOyE

Bottom line,... the problem of man made climate change is not going to magically go away AND fact is humanity might earn a group Darwin award given idiotic politics, greed & man made climate change
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Earth Day Teach-In (what people have not learned)

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 11 Apr 2022, 12:52:58

phaster wrote:At the first Earth Day [on April 22, 1970], concerned citizens from all walks of life organized environmental teach-ins. Earth Day teach-ins educated and mobilized citizens to demand government action that protected the environment. Around the United States, people gathered to learn about the environmental degradation happening around them.

...unfortunately many decades after the first earth day teach-in, people essentially have no scientific understanding of climate change (according to a published paper)

Do you expect that people SHOULD have a scientific understanding of....anything? I would argue that most people, including some alleged "scientists" (a clue...a PhD doesn't automatically make you a scientist, although generally it does mean you understand research), don't know squat about science because they don't have the analytic and curiosity chops to entertain the idea, let alone APPLY it.

So there is no expectation that people will understand climate science. Or...science.

phaster wrote:Bottom line,... the problem of man made climate change is not going to magically go away AND fact is humanity might earn a group Darwin award given idiotic politics, greed & man made climate change

Bottom line, climate change has zero requirement to be manmade, has always been with us, will always be with us, AND we humans don't seem to care in the least that our pollution of the biosphere can change it faster than it has generally changed on its own. It isn't as though we are the first species on this planet to happily do what we do, and change the global environment while doing it.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 11 Apr 2022, 15:21:41

phaster wrote:At the first Earth Day [on April 22, 1970], concerned citizens from all walks of life organized environmental teach-ins. Earth Day teach-ins educated and mobilized citizens to demand government action that protected the environment. Around the United States, people gathered to learn about the environmental degradation happening around them.

AND according to polls few adults discuss global warming (nat'l avg. 35%), 2021

http://www.climatecommunication.yale.edu/visualizations-data/ycom-us/

Sigh,... there is no way to sugar coat the inconvenient truth so I put together a doodly video and on the topic of climate change science and posted it (hoping more people actually think about and discuss the subject)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-uKWEJrOyE

Bottom line,... the problem of man made climate change is not going to magically go away AND fact is humanity might earn a group Darwin award given idiotic politics, greed & man made climate change

Phaster;

Unfortunately I think your spot on.

Good luck to us all.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 13 Apr 2022, 07:40:32

phaster wrote:Earth Day teach-ins educated and mobilized citizens to demand government action that protected the environment.

50 years ago, that's three generations, if you count as many do, a new generation being born every 20 years. Bottom line, no one gives a f*@k aside from a few back-to-the-lander types, and I'll be honest, neither do I. My generation, Gen-x, has little interest in politics and even less in moralistic BS where people borrow against their homes to buy $100,000 EV's and claim they are saving the planet by using clean electricity from the charging station.

But it will all be over soon. Hell, I might even get to see the big collapse myself? Get to watch all those dreamers of a bright techno future scurrying for the corners like cockroaches when the light is turned on.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 13 Apr 2022, 09:48:39

theluckycountry wrote:But it will all be over soon. Hell, I might even get to see the big collapse myself? Get to watch all those dreamers of a bright techno future scurrying for the corners like cockroaches when the light is turned on.

Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Apr 2022, 10:26:03

No, there will he inly end. You will not survive.

People are really bad about forecasting the future.
Many see dooms not there.
Many do not see dooms that are there.
If you are lucky you will die of old age first. Likely.
True doom, if it exists, probably lies at least 200 years in the future.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 13 Apr 2022, 11:47:03

Newfie wrote:No, there will he inly end. You will not survive.

Of course. But much like peak oil, many are claimed, but only one can be real. Those who continually claim are....you know....advocates. Enthusiasts. Carnival barkers. They see the end under their beds every night, and probably have since they first became doomers.

Newfie wrote:People are really bad about forecasting the future.
Many see dooms not there.
Many do not see dooms that are there.

The people badly predicting the future don't understand they are bad predicting the future. The people seeing dooms always see dooms, obviously nearly all of them not being there.

And non doomers are oblivious to all the Harold Camping/Peak Oilers shenanigans, and could care less.

Newfie wrote:If you are lucky you will die of old age first. Likely.
True doom, if it exists, probably lies at least 200 years in the future.

Could be. Could be that small comet hitting Europe this evening we haven't spotted, wiping us out within a week. Doomers for some reason need to pretend they know the how and why, maybe it makes them more comfortable as they wrestle with the underlying cause of this fear, which is probably related to their own mortality rather than that of the world.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 15 Apr 2022, 00:41:56

Always funny to read these dooms day prognostications, even funnier when it’s dumbed down into a YouTube video with little graphs and pictures to make it “understandable ”! Our fore-bearers survived 100’s of thousands of years of glaciation and abrupt warmings and sea level rise with less than Stone Age technology, they thrived in warmer, hotter conditions. But now we are to believe our modern technological society with 8 billion people populating all areas of the planet is doomed to extinction in the next 200 years because of carbon dioxide induced warming. Ridiculous thrash, humanity has never been in a better position to survive an extreme event or the inevitable slide back into glaciation. The population may reduce at some point in the future, it’s had ups and downs in the past, that is not extinction.

The study suggests that Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergenesis, and Homo sapiens were able to adapt to diverse temperature ranges, precipitation levels, and plant growth as they migrated from Africa and into unfamiliar environments. The climate model indicates that this migration coincided with warm climate change, which occurs every 20,000 to 100,000 years due to variability in the Earth’s orbit and its inclination. Timerman said the trip promoted brain growth and cultural innovation. In this scenario, he added, H. heidelbergensis may have originated in the Denisovans in Eurasia about 430,000 years ago, while repeated glaciation in Europe led to the evolution of Neanderthals from 400,000 to 300,000 years ago. Timmerman also suggests that H. sapiens originated in harsh conditions in South Africa from 310,000 to 200,000 years ago, when modern humans could then adapt to the hot, dry climate found in northeastern Africa and the Arabian Peninsula when they later left Africa.

https://trends.worabia.com/has-climate- ... nin/32149/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby phaster » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 14:36:24

AdamB wrote:Do you expect that people SHOULD have a scientific understanding of....anything? I would argue that most people, including some alleged "scientists" (a clue...a PhD doesn't automatically make you a scientist, although generally it does mean you understand research), don't know squat about science because they don't have the analytic and curiosity chops to entertain the idea, let alone APPLY it.

jawagord wrote:Always funny to read these dooms day prognostications, even funnier when it’s dumbed down into a YouTube video with little graphs and pictures to make it “understandable ”! Our fore-bearers survived 100’s of thousands of years of glaciation and abrupt warmings and sea level rise with less than Stone Age technology,...blah, blah, blah

simple fact of the matter is all the conditions lined up just right for humanity and modern consumer culture (as we know it) to thrive,... BUT on a finite planet (i.e. earth) with finite natural resources there are limits to economic growth (which is what is happening now AND it is the reason why there is conflict over limited resources)

there is an expression "Can't see the forest for the trees" and it applies to "scientists"

my own back ground is physics AND a clue a PhD means 'PILE it HIGH and DEEP' in a specific area of study

political conservatives especially in the USA love to point out there is a Nobel 'physics' prize winner who says man made climate change is pure bull shit (i.e. 'fake news' in tRUMP speak)

http://www.foxnews.com/science/nobel-pr ... al-warming

as I see things this is akin to asking a proctologist to give his expert opinion about a virus that infects the respiratory tract (e.g. covid-19)

capeesh?! if not ponder this dumbed down 'climate scientists' illustration,...

as for do I expect the average non trained 'climate scientists' to have a specific understanding of the topic,... as I see things if they have any friends and family who they don't want to see harmed, then I'd say they better grow a backbone and learn to face the unpleasant reality (instead of burying their head in the sand which is basic human nature)

BTW I'll admit there have dooms day prognostications in the past by various fringe groups,... but this time is different because various scientists in different fields physics, chemistry, biology, etc. have collected various puzzle pieces of scientific data to show there is an existential threats to humanity

http://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/new-climat ... al-threats

http://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/

FWIW I've always used a twisted sense of humor as a psychological coping mechanism which allows me to confront difficult issues head on,... for example WRT man made climate change I realize the issue is difficult to say the least,... BUT the IPCC group 3 report gives me hope that there are technical solutions

OTOH basic human nature makes most people bury their head in the sand when daunting problems arise (so this is why as I see things why the problem of man made climate change continues to be unaddressed)

http://youtu.be/WW2FIaVIo1s
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 15:46:29

phaster wrote:simple fact of the matter is all the conditions lined up just right for humanity and modern consumer culture (as we know it) to thrive,... BUT on a finite planet (i.e. earth) with finite natural resources there are limits to economic growth (which is what is happening now AND it is the reason why there is conflict over limited resources)

I agree. As long as we are clear that your "finite planet" is a closed system concept, which suddenly became an unclosed system starting in October of 1957. And that single change means everything, when it comes to how we discuss the future.

phaster wrote:BTW I'll admit there have dooms day prognostications in the past by various fringe groups,...

Paul Ehrlich and the scientists involved in the first (1970) Earth Day celebrations weren't a fringe group. Now, Happy McPeaksters on this site contemporaneous to the 2nd claimed peak oil of the century, TOD and LATOC, dieoff.com, FTW and Powerswitch and the like, sure, fringe, uninformed, echo chambers, etc etc.

Phaster wrote:but this time is different because various scientists in different fields physics, chemistry, biology, etc. have collected various puzzle pieces of scientific data to show there is an existential threats to humanity

The exact argument used by those previously mentioned sites, again contemporaneous to the prognostication that failed. Turns out, that is part of the game, folks pulling out the scientists in all fields of human endeavor to back the Happy McDoomster claim of the moment. Would you like to present the perspective that THIS TIME, FINALLY, these folks might have it right?

As far as climate change, it is a given, it has been the way of the world since long before we clever monkeys came along, it will continue happening after us clever monkeys are gone, and if humans really gave a rat's ass about it, they would change their behavior. Short of that...learn to adapt.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 20:06:38

Adam,

What ARE you in about now?

It truly sounds like you just want to rasp at people to have an argument.

If you have some point to make try being clear and simple.

But also expect people to disagree unless you present some really good argument.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 21:56:51

Newfie wrote:Adam,

What ARE you in about now?

It truly sounds like you just want to rasp at people to have an argument.

Well, I will admit that I enjoy a good back and forth as anyone, but was my point that no one can consider our species limited to only the resources on that planet invisible? I thought I was pretty clear.

Newfie wrote:If you have some point to make try being clear and simple.

Oh, come on Newfie, I thought I was pretty succinct on the point mentioned above.

Newfie wrote:But also expect people to disagree unless you present some really good argument.

I can do good arguements all day long. You don't consider October of 1957 to not be just an argument but proof of the point? Once upon a time our mining prospectors were men and donkeys, we've automated that already on other planets. The only question now is cost, and Elon seems to be doing a bang up job on that aspect of the problem.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 22:37:46

no one can consider our species limited to only the resources on that planet invisible?

Are those typos or you mean to be obscure?

What the hell is Oct 1957 significance?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 16 Apr 2022, 23:05:08

Newfie wrote:
no one can consider our species limited to only the resources on that planet invisible?

Are those typos or you mean to be obscure?

What the hell is Oct 1957 significance?

Newfie!! What!! Even I, with a focus on the physical sciences (and a small wandering into an occasional social one as well) remember important history, particularly when it involves a species changing event!!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate