Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 17:30:46

vtsnowedin wrote:In a post apocalypse world your top three needs or priorities are: food, water, and shelter,

Oh dear, so that's your angle, a dooms-day prepper type. Enjoy your baked beans lol
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 17:33:54

theluckycountry wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:In a post apocalypse world your top three needs or priorities are: food, water, and shelter,

Oh dear, so that's your angle, a dooms-day prepper type. Enjoy your baked beans lol

Better that then sitting around all day bending bananas for the other inmates at the mining colony though. Can't you escape by swimming to New Zealand?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 19:29:56

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: I expect 30-30 ammo to be the currency of a post apocalyptic world with 22LR being the small change. :twisted:

I get the 22LR, but I think the 30-30 is a bit out of date. Or is that just because I've been out West for most of my life and you just don't see them? 270, 300 Win Mag, sure. I did the deer hunting in the eastern woodlands with a 30-30, but that only lasted until I was 15 and acquired my first 30-06. Not popular like it once was, but sufficient with the right bullet for most everything on the continent, so I never got around to switching over to a more popular western caliber.

In a post apocalyptic world you will of course want ammo to fit the rifle you have in hand. I mentioned the 30-30 as there are some nine million of them out there in good working condition. 30-06, 308, .223, 270 win. will all be valuable to those that have them. But even the old 30-30 if sighted in properly can do good service in the west when it comes to food instead of trophies.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 20:45:19

vtsnowedin wrote: I mentioned the 30-30 as there are some nine million of them out there in good working condition. 30-06, 308, .223, 270 win. will all be valuable to those that have them. But even the old 30-30 if sighted in properly can do good service in the west when it comes to food instead of trophies.

I've got no overall beef with the 30-30, just haven't seen one in so long I'd about forgotten they existed.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 21:00:51

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: I mentioned the 30-30 as there are some nine million of them out there in good working condition. 30-06, 308, .223, 270 win. will all be valuable to those that have them. But even the old 30-30 if sighted in properly can do good service in the west when it comes to food instead of trophies.

I've got no overall beef with the 30-30, just haven't seen one in so long I'd about forgotten they existed.

Well you might be hunting in a plains state where 250 yards is considered close range or you are a newbe that is falling for every new "state of the art" cartridge they come out with to get you to buy a new rifle instead of just using the totally serviceable rifle your father or grandfather left you.
I know of no new product that does not fall inside the range of the slowest to fastest, lightest to heaviest, of the old classic calibers.
Take the 6.8 Western for example. It uses heavier bullets then the traditional 270 Win can stabilize, using faster twist barrels but if you need that bullet weight going that fast you could just buy a 7MM Remington mag and have a lot more chance finding ammo at the local hardware store.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 21:15:23

theluckycountry wrote:

Funny you mention baked beans. I made a pot of them just the other day.I used some bacon instead of the traditional salt pork. And maple syrup instead of white sugar.
The results were very tasty. :)
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 21:19:06

And I suppose that you 'theluckycountry' would prioritize your cell phone service above food water and shelter during a time of stress?
Tell us more.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 18 Feb 2022, 22:46:49

vtsnowedin wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Well you might be hunting in a plains state where 250 yards is considered close range or you are a newbe that is falling for every new "state of the art" cartridge they come out with to get you to buy a new rifle instead of just using the totally serviceable rifle your father or grandfather left you.

Neither of us were born yesterday, and if granddads Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester wasn't so hard to get ammo for it would probably still be used more than it is.

vtsnowedin wrote: I know of no new product that does not fall inside the range of the slowest to fastest, lightest to heaviest, of the old classic calibers.
Take the 6.8 Western for example. It uses heavier bullets then the traditional 270 Win can stabilize, using faster twist barrels but if you need that bullet weight going that fast you could just buy a 7MM Remington mag and have a lot more chance finding ammo at the local hardware store.

Can't say I pay much attention to newer rifles. I haven't bought a center fire rifle since high school, borrowed a couple, but gave them back. The .348 is certainly a keeper, got another hand me down in a Winchester 1895 in 30-06, plus a Model 70 I bought right before I graduated high school. I'm more of a handgun guy, collected a Springfield Ronin in 9mm just a week ago, first 1911 I've collected in years.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 19 Feb 2022, 05:38:31

I have to agree with my wife that I don't need any more guns but what has NEED ever had to do with it.
A few months ago I scored a Winchester model 70 super grade in 300 win mag. A very pretty stock on it and shoots beautifully. There is nothing here in Vermont big enough to require it or it's long rang capabilities so I have lent it to my Son-In-Law to take on a Western Elk hunt next fall.
For doomer prep I just ordered a box of Nosler partition bullets for the 30-30s . I'll load some up and do bullet tests in wet paper packs to see if they perform as well as most Nosler products do.
With that my loading bench is well stocked so I have stopped shopping while everything gun related is so high cost or not available.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 19 Feb 2022, 10:39:40

vtsnowedin wrote:I have to agree with my wife that I don't need any more guns but what has NEED ever had to do with it.

Well, I gotta give both you and the wife props on that one. My wife is resigned to it, other than when she asks occasionally about how much one costs, "oh that one is pretty" and doesn't like the answer.

vtsnowedin wrote: With that my loading bench is well stocked so I have stopped shopping while everything gun related is so high cost or not available.

I did the same thing with ammo, buying it in at least half case amounts throughout the pandemic as folks in the black market were selling off at what they considered a profitable price but was far lower than what was available from traditional online sources and whatnot. Then when I realized I had bought enough for my own needs and perhaps a small army of neighbors to withstand an invasion from the nearby megatropolis I stopped. Now online prices are settling out in popular calibers and I won't be needing any for while.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 19 Feb 2022, 12:31:27

AdamB wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I have to agree with my wife that I don't need any more guns but what has NEED ever had to do with it.

Well, I gotta give both you and the wife props on that one. My wife is resigned to it, other than when she asks occasionally about how much one costs, "oh that one is pretty" and doesn't like the answer.

Men and women both like to spend money on things they don't actually "need". Lots of money if they can afford it. Though they often are very DIFFERENT things, and often seen as utter nonsense to those who don't want them (whether racks of guns, closets full of various clothes, boats, or cars that go fast and make loud engine noises, etc.), they're all really toys and largely about social status, at the end of the day.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. My brother in law has, literally, a giant metal safe in his basement that is so heavy he's not worried about it being stolen, and part of a wall would have to be dismantled to get it out, as it won't fit through any normal door. It's full of survival related stuff like lots of guns, ammo, gold and silver coins, etc, as he's been expecting doomsday re the financial system for decades.

They already raise or hunt a fair amount of food on their small farm (he hunts and my sister does most of the actual farm work, being retired). It helps them sleep better at night, just like my S&W 38 special in my bedside table and my PM's in safe deposit boxes and my investment portfolio does for me, 3 plus decades running now.

Each to their own. We're all mortal, none of us can see the future, and world leaders will choose to do things like fire up wars, or not, regardless of how the little people choose to live.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 19 Feb 2022, 15:57:46

Outcast_Searcher wrote:

They already raise or hunt a fair amount of food on their small farm (he hunts and my sister does most of the actual farm work, being retired). It helps them sleep better at night, just like my S&W 38 special in my bedside table and my PM's in safe deposit boxes and my investment portfolio does for me, 3 plus decades running now.

Is he aware that back when they went off the gold standard the government raided all the "safe" deposit boxes and confiscated all the gold there in?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby noobtube » Wed 23 Feb 2022, 00:06:47

I talked a lot about gold in a previous post.

But, it was all theoretical. You should all consider yourselves fortunate if you have some.

For me, due to a tragic misfortune, I lost all mine in a boating accident.
noobtube
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 23 Feb 2022, 08:34:22

Sorry to hear that. We liveaboard. But feel safer here.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 24 Feb 2022, 18:16:07

Newfie wrote:Sorry to hear that. We liveaboard. But feel safer here.

That was a joke, it's the standard response one would give to authority if they ever came knocking on your door looking for your gold.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby klausfelix » Tue 14 Jun 2022, 13:03:08

I am not sure how wise his strategy is in putting 75% in precious metals once the money system starts going bonkers you can bet the government is going to seize metals and attempt to put some sort of backing on the currency, on a new currency or on oil itself once peak oil becomes public knowledge.

I think it's a bad investment strategy. Funny money is here to stay for the most part. Energy is the place to invest at least for now.
klausfelix
Wood
Wood

Unread postby gollum » Fri 08 Jul 2022, 18:21:06

I wouldn't trust metals on paper but there is no way the government is going to manage to seize very much gold or silver or any other tangible asset.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 26 Dec 2022, 17:39:08

klausfelix wrote:I think it's a bad investment strategy. Funny money is here to stay for the most part. Energy is the place to invest at least for now.

I'll disregard gold as an investment when women stop demanding it as jewelry and industry stops using it in electronics.

As for energy, I doubt anyone who invested in the shale oil complex would agree with you there.

December 21, 2022
Pioneer Natural Resources’ CEO Scott Sheffield, one of the most outspoken industry executives, has indirectly explained to the White House that shale drillers will not be drilling more and that is it. And he had an excellent reason for it...

These investors have been watching for years how shale drillers burn their cash in order to turn the United States in the biggest oil producer in the world. Then they had to watch all this breakdown in 2020 with oil prices dropping below zero for the first time in history, even though the drop was a short one.
https://news.yahoo.com/shale-giant-pion ... 00217.html
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Dec 2022, 20:16:16

theluckycountry wrote:As for energy, I doubt anyone who invested in the shale oil complex would agree with you there.

December 21, 2022
Pioneer Natural Resources’ CEO Scott Sheffield, one of the most outspoken industry executives, has indirectly explained to the White House that shale drillers will not be drilling more and that is it. And he had an excellent reason for it...

These investors have been watching for years how shale drillers burn their cash in order to turn the United States in the biggest oil producer in the world. Then they had to watch all this breakdown in 2020 with oil prices dropping below zero for the first time in history, even though the drop was a short one.
https://news.yahoo.com/shale-giant-pion ... 00217.html

Too bad you missed the financial consequence of what Scott said, in your rush to pretend that THIS wasn't happening.

Industry to make record $200 billion this year: Deloitte
Decade of shale losses wiped out in just three years

Figures you don't know any more about American E&P fiscal performance than you would know what to do with a twisty road on 2 wheels.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 27 Dec 2022, 05:26:40

vtsnowedin wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:

Is he aware that back when they went off the gold standard the government raided all the "safe" deposit boxes and confiscated all the gold there in?

Only gold bullion, not silver. And only once, so not like that's typical. Not Numismatic gold (and with gold being expansive, lots of decent Numismatic gold doesn't have that big a premium over bullion any more, last time I checked).

And one can diversify. If things start to look REALLY dicey (far more than what causes the doomers to whine all the time around here, re perfectly ordinary events like typical recessions), I can always remove some gold from my SDB and bury some of it under a shed, in my crawlspace, under some plants in the yard, etc.

And paper gold and silver works just fine until things get really nasty as well, as an inflation hedge, etc.

I know gold bugs like to harp on the chances government agents confiscate all the bullion, but I think that's mostly a sideshow, like harping on constant economic doom for many decades running, and missing out on massive stock market gains over the decades, by letting fear trump probability and logic.

But hey, each to his own. For me, good diversification and some planning is plenty good enough.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion