Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Change is Hoax pt 10

Re: Has Global Warming Peaked?

Unread postby Pops » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 10:41:29

Doly wrote:As for talking about expected consequences, I've returned for long enough to this forum for you to notice how much I talk about expected consequences, even in a forum about energy issues. If people are not interested in a topic, I'm not going to bother to talk about it. And I don't go for the catastrophic doom, I go for trying to find out what is a realistic worst case scenario.

This site has ossified, not many left and of those most are more interested in bitcoin and their portfolio than peak oil.

The oldest line here is "just wait, we'll be overrun as soon as people wake up to PO."

I hope you stick around as you aren't as stuck in your rut as the rest of us.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Doly » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 18:05:56

Or perhaps just because I don't buy into near term peak oil scenarios, and therefore don't discuss the geologic, technological and economic components of them?

You said that no peak oil till 2050 was credible. That is way too optimistic from the data I've seen.

Assigning value to it that matches it to the physics underpinning everything from the functioning of the economy or the geology and technology might be a bit of a stretch...but that is entirely something else.

If you're asking about my personal Theory of Everything, I'd personally pick the Lotka-Volterra equations, with foxes equated to links, and rabbits equated to nodes in a network, and an additional equation to represent available resources (to keep the rabbits and foxes analogy, grass gets its own equation). They work as a pretty good Swiss Army knife to explain an awful lot of useful stuff, and the network stuff is real-life useful and not very well known. They include the logistic curve, useful not just for peak oil but as a very handy approximation to the Gaussian bell curve. If you look at them in the right way, you have a tiny pocket LTG model in them. A version of them would be Daisyworld. Another version would be Peter Turchin's cliodynamics (historical dynamics). I think they may also match as part of Dirac's equations of the electron, but I really have to double-check on that, I'm not a huge fan of quantum mechanics.

You understand that Dennis is about the only other person around here who can discuss modeling from the technical side rather than the "point and scream DOOM!!!" routine that has been part and parcel of peak oil since soon after the internet was invented?

Thanks for that. Can you point me to a thread where he discusses his modeling?
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 17 Jan 2022, 20:55:49

Doly wrote:
Or perhaps just because I don't buy into near term peak oil scenarios, and therefore don't discuss the geologic, technological and economic components of them?

You said that no peak oil till 2050 was credible. That is way too optimistic from the data I've seen.

I did say that. And it is true. I imagine that one of the disadvantages of the independent researcher is a limited budget with which to acquire the best commercial information available.

Doly wrote:
Assigning value to it that matches it to the physics underpinning everything from the functioning of the economy or the geology and technology might be a bit of a stretch...but that is entirely something else.

If you're asking about my personal Theory of Everything, I'd personally pick the Lotka-Volterra equations, with foxes equated to links, and rabbits equated to nodes in a network, and an additional equation to represent available resources (to keep the rabbits and foxes analogy, grass gets its own equation). They work as a pretty good Swiss Army knife to explain an awful lot of useful stuff, and the network stuff is real-life useful and not very well known. They include the logistic curve, useful not just for peak oil but as a very handy approximation to the Gaussian bell curve. If you look at them in the right way, you have a tiny pocket LTG model in them. A version of them would be Daisyworld. Another version would be Peter Turchin's cliodynamics (historical dynamics). I think they may also match as part of Dirac's equations of the electron, but I really have to double-check on that, I'm not a huge fan of quantum mechanics.

I will have to investigate some of those at the least a theoretical level, they might be interesting. I do stochastic modeling and as a XOM researcher testing my models once said, "oh...you simulate EVERYTHING"...which sounded like a fair description. As a reservoir engineer modeling oil and gas production, I can't say that theoretical techniques do me much good compared to plain ol', been around since my first Craft and Hawkins textbook was handed to me, reservoir engineering principles. Start with those, model all of the geoscience's related resource categories including discovery process modeling as researched by Arps and Roberts and used by most everyone for discrete accumulations, the USGS solving the field reserve growth problem at both the theoretical and practical levels (reserve growth, as it turns out, rulz), and then build on the economic overlay. That's the real kicker, and the thing needed to stop getting peak oil wrong. Learned it from some private industry folks who couldn't get global supply analytics sorted out, but damn could they do econmics of oil and gas. So I began a career learning economics, and how to apply them to the problem.

Doly wrote:
You understand that Dennis is about the only other person around here who can discuss modeling from the technical side rather than the "point and scream DOOM!!!" routine that has been part and parcel of peak oil since soon after the internet was invented?

Thanks for that. Can you point me to a thread where he discusses his modeling?

Of course. You'll have to wade through quite a bit of idiot trolling from the likes of Mustang19, but in between Dennis and I were going through his work, some of my ideas on why peakers got it wrong and will continue getting it wrong if they don't fricking LEARN some stuff, and then we began conversing through PMs here and then exchanged emails.

If you put Mustang19 on ignore, many posts of just bullshit will disappear and it'll make easier reading. Ignore mine where I was hassling Mustang as well, if you searched these threads and went looking for Dennis you'll see his explanations to my questions and whatnot.

Wolfcamp and Hubbert Part 1: wolfcamp-here-s-the-hubbert-curve-pt-1-t77846.html

Wolfcamp and Hubbert Part 2: wolfcamp-here-s-the-hubbert-curve-pt-2-t77847.html
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 18 Jan 2022, 02:13:02

China just set a new record for coal production......up over 7% from a year ago

china-coal-production-hits-record-avoid-energy-crisis

There is no way global warming in going to "peak" as long as record amounts of coal are being burned, and record amounts of CO2 are being emitted into the atmosphere.

China just set a new record for coal production......

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Doly » Wed 19 Jan 2022, 16:27:28

I imagine that one of the disadvantages of the independent researcher is a limited budget with which to acquire the best commercial information available.

I imagine that if you had such information, you could just explain the main data-points, instead of making vague sweeping offensive comments.

reserve growth, as it turns out, rulz

Only for as long as the engineering doesn't get so complicated that all sorts of other things start falling apart.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 19 Jan 2022, 18:19:31

Pops wrote:
Parliamentary systems seem much more representative. My views could be in the minority but it might still get a voice in a parliament.

A lot of people point to the (former) success of the US as evidence the presidential system is the best, but in reality the success was due to the abundant oil and mineral base. If Japan or Germany had such a natural bounty within their borders they would no doubt have won WW2 in their theaters of operation, nuclear weapons aside. Logistics won WWII, Millions of tons of steel, powered by oil.

Timing also aided in the success of the US. What luck to have come out on top after the war with the sea lanes under their control, with bases established all over Europe and Asia, and the only competition left being the tired old empires of Europe that lay in ruins. It was a perfect setup really. They had control from the West coast all the way around and up to the Franco-German border.

But that was then and the US has squandered it's incredible luck, it's just a husk now, a dilapidated shopping mall. To keep the facade going they blow the tops off mountains for coal, pollute the ground water with fracking chemicals, turn their farmlands into franken-food factories. When you look at each element by itself it's a hair raiser, when you add them all together it's an unmitigated disaster! If you set out to deliberately destroy an entire continent by conventional means I doubt you could come up with a more efficient method than using the reserves of fossil fuels to power the destruction.

A cursory look at the old established nations like Norway, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, even England still, shows a different story. These nations actively resist the American model of national destruction. They push back against GMO foods, against fracking, against turning their nations into concrete paved shopping malls. The living standards as well point to the success of these parliamentary systems. They are corrupt for sure, but the system lends itself less to corruption than all the presidential systems around the globe it seems. Perhaps with some it's the Monarchy sitting at the top of the pyramid of power? True they are a figurehead, but here in Australia the Governor General retains the power to dismiss a federal government if it gets too out of line. This power was exercised back in the 1970's when the opposition blocked supply (money) and there was no effective way around the problem unless the opposition caved in to the Sitting governments demands. In America you don't have that problem. There all the politicians in power from either side of the floor work in concert to ensure the money gets printed and their masters are served. They have no higher authority to answer to except the bankers.

Other examples of Presidential systems are Mexico; Venezuela, Brazil, Philippians, Russia, South Africa... If anyone can find an example of one that is not actually corrupt to the core and on the brink of collapse I'd be interested to know? The Presidential system was an interesting experiment, but the results are in, it's a failure in the short term even.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 19 Jan 2022, 19:11:16

Doly wrote:
I imagine that one of the disadvantages of the independent researcher is a limited budget with which to acquire the best commercial information available.

I imagine that if you had such information, you could just explain the main data-points, instead of making vague sweeping offensive comments.

Of course I have such information. And I can talk about it in a vague and sweeping way if you have any specific questions. Handing out main data points from propritary data sets? That's a no-no. And offensive comments? :) Well...maybe on occasion. But you are talking on this topic with someone banned on every peak oil website there was for knowing in real time the ins and outs of why the earlier peak oils claimed this century were nonsense. And that includes TOD. I recommended a scientist of at least national renown and expert on Hubbert and his work, and resource scarcity in general. He was in Australia, and after they told me that such a speaker would emit too much CO2 flying from the other side of the planet, can you imagine how many of them flew to the conference? Noticing such duplicitous behavior isn't appreciated much by zealots.

Doly wrote:
reserve growth, as it turns out, rulz

Only for as long as the engineering doesn't get so complicated that all sorts of other things start falling apart.

A reasonable caveat. Once course, such a caveat would also mean that all Happy McPeakster wet dreams would probably be occuring at the same time.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 10:44:18

theluckycountry wrote:A lot of people point to the (former) success of the US as evidence the presidential system is the best, but in reality the success was due to the abundant oil and mineral base.

I've not really studied other countries politics, why would I, I'm American after all. But our longish success story is mostly as you say about virgin resources and private rather than government/sovereign exploitation. The other thread is we were a for the longest while a white protestant majority country, Most of my family came in the 1600s from Scotland and England and were the picture of white, religious fanatics. We were 150 years a slave economy, another 100 Jim Crow. Back when America was great both parties were run by white men and everyone else kept their place. What a country.

On'y in the last 50 -60 years has that begun to change, the parties were oddly formed to begin with years ago on one side were small farmers, labor and racists, and on the other side were mostly educated, wealthy business class... and black people. The realignment in the 50-80s has mostly been a complete flip, with educated city people and minorities now on the D side and rural, religious whites, and the profiteers of extraction on the R.

The anarchy of the common mob —otherwise known as democracy—has always skeered the begeesus out of Republicans—hence our system of minority rule. As is obvious in the R parties continuing push to disenfranchise as many as possible, actual democracy is bad for business. Majorities of the country were trending toward some serious action against warming. With the recent low point of attempting to delete entire slates of electors and kill people if needed the extractors are as powerful as they've been since the last gilded age. The funny thing is how Rs rail against the nanny state yet worship an authoritarian wannabe.

At any rate republicanism obviously benefits the extractors, if it wasn't for minority rulle no telling what the mob would do...

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2021 ... -and-work/
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 12:31:41

WILLING TO MAKE CHANGES 80%. Hahahahahahaha.

A common sight in libtard california in January is outdoor heaters. What a great use of fossil fuel.
Damn F350 driving republican redneck. Why doesn't he change? Lets drive in our brand new imported BMW to our favorite restaurant to sip on imported wine and plan our next overseas vacation. And let's also lament to the world how much we are willing to change.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 14:07:41

mousepad wrote:A common sight in libtard california in January is outdoor heaters. What a great use of fossil fuel.
Damn F350 driving republican redneck. Why doesn't he change? Lets drive in our brand new imported BMW to our favorite restaurant to sip on imported wine and plan our next overseas vacation. And let's also lament to the world how much we are willing to change.

That picture is an absolute riot. Sort of like the Qataries or Kuwaiti's or someone air conditioning the outside air for customers dining outside their establishment. Maybe around the hotel pool...I mean really, who wants to splash around the hotel outside pool with its 120F outside, we want air conditioning outdoors!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 14:55:04

A report published Friday by the International Energy Agency found that global demand for electricity surged 6% in 2021, fueled by a colder winter and the dramatic economic rebound from the pandemic. That drove both prices and carbon emissions to new records.

IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol said the report contained a stark warning for the future. So far, renewable sources of electricity — as opposed to power stations that burn coal or natural gas — haven't kept up. Electricity generated by renewables grew by 6% globally last year, while coal-fired generation leaped 9% due to high demand and skyrocketing natural gas prices, which made it look like a more attractive option. Carbon dioxide emissions from power generation rose 7% as a result, reaching an all-time high after declining the previous two years.

"Not only does this highlight how far off track we currently are from a pathway to net zero emissions by 2050, but it also underscores the massive changes needed for the electricity sector to fulfill its critical role in decarbonizing the broader energy system."

There's some good news: Rapid expansion of renewable energy capacity should be enough to cover the vast majority of the growth in global electricity demand through 2024. Still, emissions will remain high.

The IEA found that emissions from the power sector will "remain around the same level from 2021 to 2024," even though they need to decline "sharply" for the world to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius and avoid the worst effects of climate change.
The world's insatiable appetite for electricity is setting up a climate disaster
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Doly » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 15:42:51

That picture is an absolute riot. Sort of like the Qataries or Kuwaiti's or someone air conditioning the outside air for customers dining outside their establishment.

Unfortunately, a very, very common sight in the UK these days. Even in supposedly "green" areas like Brighton.

We are so screwed.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 16:43:21

Misdirection is the prevailing wisdom for the right:
the Ds stole the election
libtards waste energy
californians drive f350s
I gotta flush my big macs 3 time so I actually use MORE water...

and the bobbleheads nod right along. Rather than do something proactive to change things they search for an excuse to keep doing the same.

I pointed out that California is the most energy efficient state in the union but such mere evidence can't trump belief or that warm feeling you've made a libtard cry.

Who was it?
"Easier to fool someone than convince them they've been fooled"

We are indeed screwed.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 16:56:31

Doly wrote:
That picture is an absolute riot. Sort of like the Qataries or Kuwaiti's or someone air conditioning the outside air for customers dining outside their establishment.

Unfortunately, a very, very common sight in the UK these days. Even in supposedly "green" areas like Brighton.

We are so screwed.

We certainly are. The thing I find so fascinating is that we can see it. We know how and why it is happening. And then we feed ourselves a cock and bull story about carbon sequestration and becoming vegan and net zero versus REAL zero and it is all just nonsense to avoid the obvious....consume less, populate less, growth less (if at all), just...STOP already.

Fascinating in the same way as if there was this big comet getting ready to hit the earth, and we knew when and where and the certainty of it, and yet treated it as some sort of joke, and partied on until the expected happened. Sounds like the plot for a good movie!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby suxs » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 21:20:34

Using "mousepad" logic, no self-righteous Red stater would dare light up an outdoor heater. Keep chowing those cocoa puffs, genius.
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby theluckycountry » Thu 20 Jan 2022, 21:38:25

Pops wrote:On'y in the last 50 -60 years has that begun to change, the parties were oddly formed to begin with years ago on one side were small farmers, labor and racists, and on the other side were mostly educated, wealthy business class... and black people. The realignment in the 50-80s has mostly been a complete flip, with educated city people and minorities now on the D side and rural, religious whites, and the profiteers of extraction on the R.

Interesting politics alright, I'd heard something about that switch, we had a similar thing here where in the 1970's the Labor party, a workers party, switched to demonizing the unions and promoting business. About the same time the opposition Liberal party that was always the party for business and wealthy people began expanding the welfare system to make it easier for the working class.

The Liberal Prime minister, "John Howard" who held office for four terms, 1996~2007 greatly expanded the welfare system, even while he was claiming that old age pensions would be non-existant in a decade or two and that people had to boost their private pensions. His parties actions basically created millions of new welfare dependents that were guaranteed to need a government pension at retirement. age. I don't believe governments can make such errors, which begs the question, what were they planning for the future?

As for the percentages of people alarmed about GW, that I believe, but the percentage willing to take personal action? Somehow I think the people who voted in that poll simply believe all they will have to give up is some plastic packaging and perhaps pay slightly more for electricity. If they had been asked if they were willing to give up their air-conditioners and even perhaps their cars in favor of cheap public transport the figures of those willing to change would be a lot lower I believe. A Lot lower. But that's the future as the numbers stack up now.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Pops » Fri 21 Jan 2022, 09:48:54

theluckycountry wrote:As for the percentages of people alarmed about GW, that I believe, but the percentage willing to take personal action? Somehow I think the people who voted in that poll simply believe all they will have to give up is some plastic packaging and perhaps pay slightly more for electricity. If they had been asked if they were willing to give up their air-conditioners and even perhaps their cars in favor of cheap public transport the figures of those willing to change would be a lot lower I believe. A Lot lower. But that's the future as the numbers stack up now.

I'm a bit of a prepper. Not really the lone survivalist or bug-out-bag Rambo type, more the big garden and DIY, self-sufficiency sort. The one thing that has always surprised me is how incurious most folks are abut their basic infrastructure. I understand habit and the self-imposed pressure of the daily grind but I think a majority don't give modern life a second thought. In fact, the best part about the rich-world is the ability to not worry about mundane topics of food/water/shelter. It's fill the tank, buy some January tomatoes, flip the switch, flush the toilet, turn up the thermostat, watch some internet. When they want to be conscientious they buy a stainless steel straw.

My grandaughter is a jewel. She is 22, very bright, thoughtful, "environmentally aware", "child hesitant" empathetic to a fault, she works and goes to college, will have a teaching credential soon. But for as amazing as she is, the logistics of the modern world just are not on her radar. She would be the first to say she wants to do something yet has flown between Alaska, South Dakota, New York state several times in just the last 6 months because, well, her mom wants her to.

I try not to be a crazy gramps, only rarely going on a rant about the modern world. I'd love to try and prepare her for the future, but I don't want to be the one that rains that future on her parade. And, as I've said 100 times to actually prepare essentially costs turning one's back on the world, it is not impossible to be more resilient, consume less, live smaller, but pretty hard to be totally so.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 21 Jan 2022, 19:10:00

Pops wrote:When they want to be conscientious they buy a stainless steel straw.

Don't do that! I tried it and everything tastes like steel. The glass ones are much better. we bought a kit with two glass straws, a brush, and a bamboo case, and we love it.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change is Hoax pt 10

Unread postby Whitefang » Fri 24 Jun 2022, 11:20:52

Hi guys and the occasional girl.......

Been away for a while.
Not that much of a surprise living in a mental institution we name civilization 8O , a www.

Not to worry about politics, there has never been a democracy since agriculture.

I feel we humans are on the brink,
just before the big speedup towards doom, our global management held the line for a decade,
now we stand at around 2.4 degrees C. above baseline pre industrial.
The max speed of abrupt CC is around .1 degrees a month.
Somewhere between 3 and 6 degrees, mammals go extinct for loss of habitat.
Our management is shutting down agriculture....great reset for the happy few.
I bet we just see peak humanity at a bit past 8 billion, then rapid decline to many millions or so.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The chart above illustrates how world population has changed throughout history. View the full tabulated data. At the dawn of agriculture, about 8000 B.C., the population of the world was approximately 5 million. Over the 8,000-year period up to 1 A.D. it grew to 200 million (some estimate 300 million or even 600.

I wish I were Canadian.......freedom convoy :-D
Eat the bugs or go for the wild.

To prep is not hard, store some here and there, have a bug out bag ready, learn to fish and hunt.
One step back, medieval, will not do unless you have a private army and even then.....
I still have to learn lots and find a large enough forest, the Ardennes will not do.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change is Hoax pt 10

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 24 Jun 2022, 11:38:18

Whitefang wrote:Hi guys and the occasional girl.......

Been away for a while.
Not that much of a surprise living in a mental institution we name civilization 8O , a www.

Not to worry about politics, there has never been a democracy since agriculture.

I feel we humans are on the brink,
just before the big speedup towards doom, our global management held the line for a decade,
now we stand at around 2.4 degrees C. above baseline pre industrial.
The max speed of abrupt CC is around .1 degrees a month.
Somewhere between 3 and 6 degrees, mammals go extinct for loss of habitat.
Our management is shutting down agriculture....great reset for the happy few.
I bet we just see peak humanity at a bit past 8 billion, then rapid decline to many millions or so.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

The chart above illustrates how world population has changed throughout history. View the full tabulated data. At the dawn of agriculture, about 8000 B.C., the population of the world was approximately 5 million. Over the 8,000-year period up to 1 A.D. it grew to 200 million (some estimate 300 million or even 600.

I wish I were Canadian.......freedom convoy :-D
Eat the bugs or go for the wild.

To prep is not hard, store some here and there, have a bug out bag ready, learn to fish and hunt.
One step back, medieval, will not do unless you have a private army and even then.....
I still have to learn lots and find a large enough forest, the Ardennes will not do.

Calm down grasshopper. It has taken 80 years for the planet to warm one degree C. That comes to .001 degree per month. Those that push "abrupt climate change"are pushing a narrative that is very short on facts and long on alarmism.
Although the switch away from fossil fuels will be much slower then the Biden administration proposes it will happen and before another eighty years passes it will have reduced carbon emissions enough for the climate to stabilize or at least not be driven by human activity as it always has been changing on it's own with or without human interference.
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/gl ... mperature/
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate