Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Change is Hoax pt 10

Re: Has Global Warming Peaked?

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 07 Jan 2022, 14:25:54

gollom"
I don’t see how we can possibly have passed peak warming until decades after fossil fuel use stops. The only possible exception to that could be a situation where we artificially cool the climate in one of the ways scientists have proposed might be possible. It’s pretty clear to me that we won’t have any choice but to go that route at some point of civilization stays intact.

I think you are correct on the time lag between ending fossil fuel use and the after effects of it.
But I sincerely hope we humans never try to artificially try to cool the planet. The chances of disastrous failure are just too high.
No matter how warm or disrupted the climate gets we humans, or at least some of us, will adapt and survive and our civilization along with it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Doly » Sat 08 Jan 2022, 10:58:58

But I sincerely hope we humans never try to artificially try to cool the planet. The chances of disastrous failure are just too high.

The problem isn't only disastrous failure. I have talked with an engineer that had one of the most credible proposals for cooling the planet: a fleet of ships that literally would create clouds. Definitely technically feasible. But when you ask: "Who would control the ships?"... you start seeing the problem.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby gollum » Sat 08 Jan 2022, 15:46:47

I think it's inevitable if modern civilization survives. The public pressure to do something will be incredible.
gollum
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 08 Jan 2022, 17:19:49

Nothing goes up in a straight line, but the trend is clear, it will get hotter.

More than 400 weather stations around the world beat their all-time highest temperature records in 2021, according to a climatologist who has been compiling weather records for over 30 years.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... matologist

Here we see that the heat increases are still ongoing, it's just that weather and short term climate cycles have minimized it and moved it to some new regions. In Australia on the east coast the La Nina pacific cycle has suppressed the heat for over a year, but when we return to full El Nino I expect it will resume with a vengeance. This summer in SEQ where I live we still haven't had a day over 34, we actually had a mini heat wave in spring that went up to 38-deg, according to my Davis weather station.

Very strange weather, and some incredible flash flooding from rain bombs. We just had on a day ago north of the capital Brisbane, some places received over 600mm, a years worth of rain in 24 hours.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Laura Boekel said most of the rain was "very localised" between Gympie and Tiaro, describing the intensity of the falls as "incredibly rare".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-08/ ... /100745466
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Doly » Sun 09 Jan 2022, 16:36:07

I don't know as times will change fast enough to avoid a major human die-off or extinction event but considering the adaptability and tenaciousness of the human species I would not bet against us.

The thing to worry about isn't a major die-off. It's extremely difficult for that to happen. The thing to worry about is that even without a major die-off, things can look very, very miserable. To give you an example: WWII was a very miserable time for a lot of people, but if you look at world population stats, it's a minor blip.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 09:55:23

My totally ill-informed speculation is we get both continued warming AND peak oil.

Of course that's the worst of both worlds. Increasing weather anomalies will sap our resilience by imposing huge repair and mitigation costs. At the same time peak oil makes those costs even higher. And even if oil production has peaked already, it will likely decline only a few percent per year so emissions will continue. Peak demand is nowhere in sight, that was just click-bait.

The end of demand has been way overrated, it shows no signs of abating. In fact one party in the US, captured by fossil interests and tucker carlson had a good laugh as trump gutted efficiency standards— CAFE to Light bulbs to shower heads— even though no one but trump was complaining. Biden still hasn't revived the efficiency standards trump's lackeys scrapped.

A shortfall in oil, decrease in efficiency, added infrastructure cost to mediate sea level rise etc, huge tabs to recover from unexpected weather disasters... along with whatever has caused us to put the rent on the card these last years— don't add up to a pretty picture.

And that's before any energy and money goes to transition
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 14:18:30

I'm visiting southern california for business. I'm confused. Isn't this place a Biden worshipper stronghold?
Yet on the choke full freeways it's big souped up trucks (of course driving empty) followed by big engine BMW, followed by masseratti, corvette and mercedes. It almost looks like them rich biden supporters have some insecurity disorder and they try to compensate by driving the biggest meanest vehicle they can find. Don't them biden fans know about global warming? It almost seems as if they don't care about the planet. I'm wondering who's worse for the planet. 10 poor appalachian rednecks each driving a F350 diesel truck, or 1 million rich southern californians driving a big BMW. What do you think?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 14:48:16

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 14:52:48

That is an amazing map.
I'm wondering who's worse for warming. 10 unimproved inefficient F350 driven in tennessee, or 10000 high efficiency F350 driven in southern california. What do you think?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 16:32:21

I think that global warming is independent on who the current stooge in the White House is. Bush Bush Bush Obama Obama Obama Trump Trump Trump Biden ... ... It seems the public forgets all about the last one and focuses all their Hope or Hate on the current one, as though they can solve all the problems or are creating all the problems. If I sat down with a group of experts and tried to find a way to keep the greater public befuddled, anxious, at each others throats, and oblivious to the real causes behind their collapse in living standards, I doubt we could come up with a better system then they have now with the politics.

Classic divide and conquer tactics.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Mon 10 Jan 2022, 17:03:25

theluckycountry wrote:It seems the public forgets all about the last one and focuses all their Hope or Hate on the current one

The public should learn that that change starts with THEM, and not with some idiot in the white house.
I'm a conservative, drive a 20 year old small vehicle, consume locally grown, hardly ever travel, live in a small house, have no AC and heat with my own cut wood.
Yet the virtue signaling "I'm better than thou" libtards are driving big fat trucks and sports cars with big engines, consuming at a disgusting rate and yet they point the finger at me for causing climate change? Fuck them.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 02:29:19

theluckycountry wrote:I think that global warming is independent on who the current stooge in the White House is. Bush Bush Bush Obama Obama Obama Trump Trump Trump Biden ... ... It seems the public forgets all about the last one and focuses all their Hope or Hate on the current one, as though they can solve all the problems or are creating all the problems......

It doesn't help that various politicians lie and claim that they are going to fix the climate change problem. For instance Obama claimed that he would fix climate change and even stop the seas from rising.....and Biden has boasted over and over that he is the climate change President.

Personally I think political leadership is central to stopping global warming. We need a global climate treaty that actually mandates global CO2 reductions.....and not the phony Paris Accords that allow greenhouse emissions to rise with no limit.

Really....the only way to stop global warming is to reduce CO2 emissions.....and thats something neither the Ds nor the Rs will do. Just look at what has happened since Biden became President---- US CO2 emissions have just jumped up under Biden, because the use of coal has increased dramatically in just on year.

report-us-carbon-emissions-jumped-in-2021

Biden made great promises about climate change......but it was all a pack of lies...

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 09:09:44

It is silly to say it doesn't matter who's in office when it comes to efficiency and emissions, it just isn't a serious position.

America is a representative democracy, does anyone seriously doubt republicans represent fossils?

In the last few cycles, since Citizens United ruling, R take home 5-6 times the oil & gas money as Ds —84% in 2020— about $64,000,000. Ds take some too, Biden took a million something while trump took 3-something. But again, the democrat total was about 16% in 2020 — 4% of coal money, and 75% of alt energy

Instead of crying because libtards get to "virtue signal", how about lobbying your conservative representatives to do a little something for the climate and the future?

That's the thing with polarization, especially on the authoritarian side, even if a person holds strong but contrary beliefs on a particular subject they still have to pretend it's all the other side's fault or at "best" both sides. So even someone apparently doing a bunch of lifestyle change stuff to prevent warming like mouse, still feels the party drive to bash the libtards rather than acknowledge the obvious flaws in his own party's platform.

Division is definitely a tactic and the fossil industry is paying good money for it.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Doly » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 15:28:41

The public should learn that that change starts with THEM, and not with some idiot in the white house.

Been there, done that.

And you know what happened? My own family called me an idiot for not flying. Lots of people to this date treat me like I'm a borderline mental health case.

I don't know how you actually change things, having failed at it, but looking at the evidence, the most likely explanation is that it happens when some rich and powerful folks somewhere get into their heads that for some reason they want X to happen and pay for it and/or and brainwash the public that X is the thing to do.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 17:03:05

Pops wrote:Instead of crying because libtards get to "virtue signal", how about lobbying your conservative representatives to do a little something for the climate and the future?

There are no conservative representative. I live in a hopelessly blue state hellbent on single handedly safe the planet. And how do they do that?
By promoting and subsidizing solar till it hurts. Now that is fine with me, I have solar installed myself.
However what I have a problem with is that they promote solar by claiming it provides good paying local jobs and GROWS the economy.

Now the way we save the planet is with LESS. Less production, less consumption, less work, less waste. Not with a GROWING economy.

Where is the political party that actually wants to CONSERVE the planet and to stop growth?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 22:20:20

Plantagenet wrote:It doesn't help that various politicians lie and claim that they are going to fix the climate change problem.

Or that you pretend to care. Don't you have some global jet setting to do?

Plantagenet wrote:Personally I think political leadership is central to stopping global warming.

I think that not paying attention to what blowhard global jet setters think about climate change is central to listening to the right people.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 11 Jan 2022, 22:29:48

Doly wrote:

Been there, done that.

And you know what happened? My own family called me an idiot for not flying. Lots of people to this date treat me like I'm a borderline mental health case.

Sounds unreasonable. Are your lifestyle changes draconian, or your advocacy of better lifestyles in general, or just your discussion of expected consequences with, maybe a doomer slant?

I've observed interesting reactions to doomer perspectives before, and not the silly MadMax, Amero, American draft, peak oil of yore nonsense once common around here, but just practical changes, lifestyle changes, that kind of stuff.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Wed 12 Jan 2022, 08:29:25

mousepad wrote: I live in a hopelessly blue state hellbent on single handedly safe the planet. And how do they do that?
Not with a GROWING economy.

Where is the political party that actually wants to CONSERVE the planet and to stop growth?

So you rage against the party that actually wants to do something to save the planet as virtue signalers when the alternative is a party that really doesn't believe in GW or even PO all that much and is much more worried about their money and economy. The republican leader said just a few years back that you can't conserve your way out of an energy crisis. The current leader has no conception of conservation of anything but his own ego.

I don't agree with every Democrat idea but in the realm of pUS politics must you take the good with the bad
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 12 Jan 2022, 11:21:32

I see ZERO evidence the Democrats want actually DO anything. They want to stay in power, just like the Republicans.

Philadelphia is “hopelessly blue” city. I was deeply involved with the left wing of that spectrum for a long time. I spent several years and a few thousand dollars trying to influence or even just educate these folks to the basics of climate change. It was a complete failure, there was NO interest beyond mouthing whatever current jargon was.

Today this same group is deep into anything that has to do with minority/women’s rights. They are mouthing all the correct left wing blather non stop. So I go to a dinner party and listen to the chatter, what they are really concerned about. And what do I hear “We should get those guys who ride their bikes on the sidewalk, the blacks and asians!” Hoosha around the table.

Now these are nice people, well educated, who listen to NPR and support the far left agenda. But they are simply reacting to their herd. What drives them are their social survival instincts, to blend in with like minded folks. To repeat the mantras.

There are a few among them who can be touched, moved. Those who can see something of the complexity. Those conversations can happen, but they take a lot of care and the. The folks slip back into the herd once again.

I make more meaningful headway on climate change matters with conservatives. I don’t take CC on headlong but I find common ground in things like plastic pollution and declining water resources. They “get” the idea that we can not build our way out of this mess, that we need to curtail our excesses. And of course they are similar to the lefties, these are careful conversations and they slip right back into the herd, bleating the latest bull.

The point is simply that I see no effective difference between the parties. I do see some faint hope the population will eventually insist upon federal term limits.

Trumps slogan? Make America Great Again
What was Biden’s slogan? Back Back Better

Make America GREAT again, build back better!
Build back back better, make America GREAT again!

What is the effectual difference? Both are throwback reminisces to the policies that got us into our current mess.

Screw the D’s and the R’s. We need something different. We may not get it, but that is on us.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Wed 12 Jan 2022, 12:52:18

Yeah, you're right newf, republicans are the real saviors of the planet.

I would sure ignore you if I could.
Pops
Elite
Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate