Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

I'm seeing a flood of spammers

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

I'm seeing a flood of spammers

Unread postby Cog » Tue 20 Aug 2019, 04:55:59

When I click on new posts, I see a flood of spam accounts in tech support. Is there a way to shut this off or not. Is there no account verification going on before these spammers can post?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: I'm seeing a flood of spammers

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 20 Aug 2019, 06:52:08

Cog,

The site has been under attack for a while. I can’t speak to the various protective techniques because I don’t have that technical knowledge. What happens is that the spammers keep adapting so the protective measures need to keep changing. It’s a tiresome game. What you see is just the latest iteration.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 21 Aug 2019, 17:03:54

Newfie wrote:Cog,

The site has been under attack for a while. I can’t speak to the various protective techniques because I don’t have that technical knowledge. What happens is that the spammers keep adapting so the protective measures need to keep changing. It’s a tiresome game. What you see is just the latest iteration.

I think I'm for bringing back old time punishments like time in the stocks for serial malicious spammers, when they're convicted.

Maybe films of such folks being pelted with rotten cabbages, etc. for several hours might convince such folks to take up new hobbies/employment.

But I know, there I go again being all impolitic again. And I know, if it's Russian spammers, the US can't punish them.

The world, just like the economy, is a very mixed bag, re good and bad points, IMO.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Guest » Wed 21 Aug 2019, 17:08:15

How about making it so the "Technical Support" forum doesn't show up in "View new posts" and "View active topics"? Without an audience to look at the spam they might stop. At the very least users who frequent "View new posts" and "View active topics" wouldn't have to see this hidden battle being waged.

Unread postby Cog » Thu 22 Aug 2019, 12:08:55

LOL So I start a thread about spammers and get a spammer in my thead. This is truly funny now. I wonder if I could create cold fusion this way.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 22 Aug 2019, 12:18:43

I’ve no idea what your talking about! :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dissident » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 12:54:54

The forum response to spammers is to impose a time window on posts. I find that I am often waiting to post since I fall into this spammer window. I think that the window should be reduced since spammers don't actually type out responses, but "spam" blocks of text. So their posts are in fractions of a second and not in tens of seconds.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 17:03:51

dissident wrote:The forum response to spammers is to impose a time window on posts. I find that I am often waiting to post since I fall into this spammer window. I think that the window should be reduced since spammers don't actually type out responses, but "spam" blocks of text. So their posts are in fractions of a second and not in tens of seconds.

You are confusing the flooding limit, that prevent more than one post after another in a chain dominating a thread, and the SPAM defences which mostly bounces all new poster messages until I or another mod clears them for release to the board.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby jareczek » Wed 22 Sep 2021, 01:01:51

I agree
jareczek
Wood
Wood

Return to Technical Support