Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Re: Deluge Thead 2021

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Tue 27 Jul 2021, 21:05:29

German floods destroy rails and train stations

The devastating floods in western Germany have hit the infrastructure of German rail operator Deutsche Bahn hard. The company estimates it has suffered €1.3 billion worth of damage. Some routes are so badly damaged that they must be rebuilt.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-floods-des ... v-58641992

Better build back better, because more & worse will strike again. All new infrastructure must be Hulk proof - Climate Smash!
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Thu 29 Jul 2021, 19:26:47

Roy Spencer - denier clown. Almost all of the professional deniers have moved on - damage done. Obviously not all the amateur, true believer, denier disciples got the 'Going Out Of Business & 'Thank You For Your Service' memos. Or maybe they did get the memos, but like Linus with his security blanket, they are unable to function without it. Hey, if the cost of making it through another day requires one to continue to embarrass themselves then so be it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Doom, with an update on the AGW Jacked Hydrologic system.

A Warming Earth Will Bring More Extreme Rainfall, New Research Shows

This month has seen widespread flooding on almost every continent, from the U.S. to China, from India to Italy, in extraordinary events that climate scientists say have been made more extreme by human-induced climate change. The World Meteorological Association says global mean surface temperatures are already 1.2 degrees Celsius higher than the pre-industrial average.

But research by the Institute of Atmospheric Physics (IAP) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the UK Meteorological (Met) Office, published today in the journal Science Advances, indicates that most communities will experience even more extreme wet conditions with each degree of temperature rise.

So it’s not that countries will necessarily have much more rain on average; it’s that we’ll see rain events becoming heavier and less predictable.

The research also implies that rather than floods necessarily becoming more frequent, heavier rainfall could make them more destructive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidrvett ... d3a813472c

Redundant research, but folks need to get paid eh? I feel that continued research on climate is unnecessary since the humans have proven they are unable to change their behaviour to avoid a threat that could very well end them. From an entertainment perspective, I'm all for the research because I'm curious & enjoy learning, so for me it's a very expensive dopamine hit (I'm worth it). All of the energy/money is getting reduced one way or another. Send another scum-bag oligarch to space (sort of) or build more nukes or fund more research - it's all the same to our Lord & Slaver the MPP. As long as you are doing your part to reduce gradients the Lord blesses you.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 12 Aug 2021, 23:32:37

"21 died, 4 missing in heaviest rainfall in Central China's Hubei"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202108/1231392.shtml

"Twenty-one people have died with four still missing following record torrential rain in Liulin township, Central China's Hubei Province on Thursday, the latest Chinese region to suffer their heaviest rainfall ever this summer after the torrential rains and floods in Henan Province killed 302 people in July.

Liulin township in Suixian county has been hit by heavy rain since Wednesday, with maximum precipitation in the township reaching 100 millimeters per hour from 5 am to 6 am on Thursday, the heaviest rain recorded since meteorological records began. The town, surrounded by mountains, recorded 3.5-meter-deep waterlogging which reached 5-meter-deep in some areas.

The township organized 30 people to knock on doors or use loudspeakers to help relocate local residents from 2 am on Thursday, as of time of press a total of 450 residents had been relocated.

It is estimates that 8,000 residents were affected by the rain with 21 deaths and 4 missing based on preliminary reports. More than 2,700 houses and shops were either flooded or damaged, including 221 structures which have collapsed, and 63 bridges which have suffered structural damage. Power and communications have also been disrupted."
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 14 Aug 2021, 13:56:25

"Japan issues highest emergency alert for over 1mn people as heavy rain ‘like never before’ triggers evacuations"
https://www.rt.com/news/532014-japan-ra ... ing-alert/

"The agency pointed out that it was “too late to evacuate if the special warning is announced.” The Level 5 alert is considered to be a stage “beyond evacuation,” when residents are urged to take whatever action is needed to protect their lives, such as moving to a higher floor if they are hunkering down at home.

The highest-level alert now applies to more than one million people, NHK estimated.

Another 4.28 million people have been subject to a Level 4 evacuation warning, which is currently in effect for 17 prefectures. While the Japanese government does not issue formal evacuation orders, the residents in affected areas were encouraged to evacuate as quickly as possible.

Unprecedented rainfall turned roads into rivers, with footage shared by Japan’s NHK broadcaster showing a truck washed away in a torrent of water."

Japan joins the long list of countries that have experienced catastrophic floods this year.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 22 Aug 2021, 16:28:07

"'Goodness gracious': Devastating scene with at least 21 dead, dozens missing in Tennessee flooding"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 234256002/

"'Life-threatening': Tropical Storm Henri makes landfall in coastal Rhode Island town after breaking NYC rain record"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 234092002/

It looks like it's the USA's turn to get swamped. I rest easy knowing that President Biden is taking care of things.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 24 Aug 2021, 14:44:37

JuanP wrote:It looks like it's the USA's turn to get swamped. I rest easy knowing that President Biden is taking care of things.

HAhAHAHA! Now thats funny.

Thats my laugh of the day. THANKS! :-D :lol: 8) :roll:

But of course we just saw similar huge floods in Germany and in China earlier this summer.

No doubt Mrs. Merkel and Comrade XI are also doing an equally good job taking care of things in their respective countries. Yes, Biden is a total incompetent....but there isn't much anyone can do about this now.

These huge rain events and concomitant floods were predicted long ago to become more frequent due to global warming.

I was just re-watching Al Gore's sequel to the INCONVENIENT TRUTH, and he referred to these events as RAIN BOMBS.

Rain bomb.

Thats a useful term.

We're going to see a lot more Rain bombs and the massive floods they produce all over the world as the planet heats up.

Here comes another rain bomb! This time its going to wipe out a city!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 Sep 2021, 08:16:07

Philly has the “Vive Street Expressway” which leads the interstate across the center of town, bisecting it Wast to West. Today the Schuylkill River hit a “major” flood status (17’) and flooded this artery.

Here are pictures near my house, a few blocks from the Schuylkill. This is 25th Street and we are at 23rd. There is a fancy new high rise apartment building with underground parking (River One - haha) which is now an island.

The 1869 flood was about a foot higher. Much mitigation work has been done since then, some intentional, some not. So I think it is safe to say this flood is more sever, even though it did not reach the same level.

URL=https://imgbox.com/uigcLnkr]Image[/URL] Image
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 02 Sep 2021, 17:47:32

Here is my exit! Image
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tuike » Wed 29 Dec 2021, 16:19:08

Extreme rain wipes province of Bahia off the map in Brazil.
Deadly flooding in Brazil kills at least 20 and displaces thousands, leaving Covid-19 vaccines submerged -cnn
At least 358 people have been injured in the flooding, the Bahia state government said in a Monday statement. It has affected more than 470,000 people living in 116 towns. "The infrastructure damage is enormous," Bahia state Gov. Rui Costa said Tuesday, as images of the affected area showed people salvaging belongings from their flood-hit homes.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Deluge Thead

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 09 Aug 2022, 11:02:35

In the last 24 hours my home rain gauge was filled 2.2inches/51mm which is an awful lot for one stormy day.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 09 Aug 2022, 11:16:42

Newfie wrote:Here is my exit! Image

Looks like you having a boat could be quite an advantage in this situation.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 09 Aug 2022, 22:02:39

AdamB wrote:
Newfie wrote:Here is my exit! Image

Looks like you having a boat could be quite an advantage in this situation.

Not enough clearance under the overpass for Newfie's sailboat. He'd need to sell it and buy a canoe!
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Unread postby Doly » Wed 10 Aug 2022, 15:34:57

Send another scum-bag oligarch to space (sort of) or build more nukes or fund more research - it's all the same to our Lord & Slaver the MPP.

I've missed the reference. What's the MPP?
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tuike » Sun 10 Sep 2023, 09:40:14

Deluge in Greece:
The data is now official: 3 years’ worth of rain fell within two days. Scientists on Greek TV discussing the possibility of the formation of new, permanent lakes in the area. It is a new planet.
https://twitter.com/99blackbaloons/stat ... 5371424144
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 10 Sep 2023, 15:10:02

Tuike wrote:Deluge in Greece:
The data is now official: 3 years’ worth of rain fell within two days. Scientists on Greek TV discussing the possibility of the formation of new, permanent lakes in the area. It is a new planet.
https://twitter.com/99blackbaloons/stat ... 5371424144

Bloody hell, that's amazing isn't it. It's reeked havoc on the food production too.

Unprecedented rainfall causes catastrophic flooding in Greece, leaving massive damage and at least 10 dead

The storm was described as an “extreme phenomenon” due to the sheer volume of water that descended in less than 24 hours. In fact, it’s been identified as the most intense storm the nation has seen since data collection began in 1930.

The future aftermath of this storm could lead to a significant geographical shift in the region. Experts have begun to hint at the potential formation of permanent lakes in certain areas affected by the deluge.

The torrents from the storm were so powerful that they wreaked havoc on infrastructure, roads, bridges, homes, and businesses. Vassilis Kikilias, the Climate Crisis and Civil Protection Minister, conveyed the gravity of the situation in a press briefing on September 6. Satellite imagery offers a stark view of the catastrophe, revealing enormous areas of Greece’s agricultural lands submerged.

https://watchers.news/2023/09/09/unprec ... t-10-dead/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 10 Sep 2023, 17:33:38

Interestingly Greece has been the focus of more than one study on the effects of atmospheric rivers.

...not related to the current disaster.

May 2014 Investigation of extreme precipitation in Greece. Can this phenomenon be attributed to atmospheric rivers? (long winded and technical)
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ric_rivers

One on Hydrodiplomacy in Greece (boring)
Hydrodiplomacy and Climate Change: An Assessment of the Transboundary River Basins of Greece
Published: 14 March 2023
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4931/25/1/5

And a good primer on atmospheric rivers in general. Published: 03 June 2023 (that's timely)

Extreme atmospheric rivers in a warming climate

Extreme atmospheric rivers (EARs) are responsible for most of the severe precipitation and disastrous flooding along the coastal regions in midlatitudes. However, the current non-eddy-resolving climate models severely underestimate (~50%) EARs... using an unprecedented set of eddy-resolving high-resolution simulations from the Community Earth System Model simulations the EARs are projected to increase almost linearly with temperature warming. Under the Representative Concentration Pathway 8.5 warming scenario, there will be a global doubling or more of the occurrence

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-38980-x

So as the earth warms these atmospheric river rain bombs will increase. You don't need to be a scientist to guess that, but scientists take the guess work out of it. Climate scientists are not always right of course, but people would be surprised to know how often they actually are right about these issues. Do the Greek population believe in global warming and climate change?

2021 83% of Greeks believe that tackling climate change and its consequences is the biggest challenge of the 21st century
https://www.eib.org/en/press/all/2021-4 ... st-century

I suspect that percentage may be even a little higher now, don't you think?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 10 Sep 2023, 19:27:17

And 2 days ago
Hong Kong, Shenzhen deluged by heaviest rain on record
"I've never seen scenes like this before. Even during previous typhoons, it was never this severe. It's quite terrifying," said Hong Kong assistant nurse Connie Cheung, 65.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 023-09-08/
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 16 Sep 2023, 21:45:32

Libya: Storm Daniel
death toll has reached 20,000 from the rain event and subsequent flooding caused by dam collapses.
"Whole neighborhoods washed away, multi story buildings swept off their foundations in the middle of the night while the occupants slept. Many are still buried in the sludge. I couldn't imagine it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NSdV2uBdy4
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: THE Great Tunisian Flood 1969

Unread postby jawagord » Mon 18 Sep 2023, 20:54:09

What would be said if this happened today? An extreme weather event is not evidence of climate change and a 1 in a 1000 year event can happen any year.

In the autumn of 1969, unusual meteorological conditions over Europe and northern Africa caused an enormous persistent desert storm in Tunisia and eastern Algeria. Poorly developed drainage patterns and gypsum-encrusted surfaces of these desert regions intensified effects of the storm and contributed to the heavy loss of life and property. Destruction of Roman bridges suggests that such storms may have recurrence probabilities of several thousands of years.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/publication/70159880
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 19 Sep 2023, 18:01:39

Yes, people have very short life spans and have difficulty dealing with longer term trends. It happens across the board and affects the Left as well as Right.

That does not mean CC is not real, or diminished. It is just a comment on thenlimits of human understanding. In short we really are not all that bright. Self included.....regretably.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate