Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Deluge Thread (merged)

Re: Deluge Thead 2021

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 29 May 2021, 13:29:29

Not quite a deluge but over the last four days I have emptied a total of 2.5+" (63mm) of rain out of my gauge. Fields are flooded and the drainage system is straining to deal with it all.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Sat 29 May 2021, 13:35:20

Tanada wrote:Not quite a deluge but over the last four days I have emptied a total of 2.5+" (63mm) of rain out of my gauge. Fields are flooded and the drainage system is straining to deal with it all.

I'm jealous -- in Eastern Ontario we've only had 13.5mm during the entire month of May. The amount of watering I've had to do this early in the summer is getting beyond stupid!
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 May 2021, 15:20:42

Yesterday

122 was under the dodger/hood in cockpit

92 was in the main cabin.

Very little rain, about 20% of normal over last 2 months.

Eastern North Carolina.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 18 Jun 2021, 16:11:36

"Crimean authorities declare state of emergency as rainfall causes flash floods, leaving thousands without water & electricity"
https://www.rt.com/russia/526943-crimea ... ds-videos/

"Authorities in Crimea declared a state of emergency on Thursday after heavy rain caused multiple cities on the Black Sea peninsula to be submerged under water, leading thousands of locals to evacuate their houses and seek shelter.
Some areas have seen almost two months of rain in just a couple of days."

"The torrential downpours come after the peninsula has suffered for months from extremely low water levels, with many parts of Crimea having almost empty reservoirs. As a result, cities like Yalta and Simferopol had enforced water rationing, with taps only working for a few hours each day."

Meet what I believe will be the new global normal, an endless cycle of droughts and floods. Crimea just went from a pretty bad, months long, drought to getting two months of rain in two days. we have been hearing and reading stories like this from all over the world for years now, and this is only the beginning. I expect this problem to get much worse as time goes by. Now is the time to build the infrastructure to manage this problem. Crimea has been doing better than most places on the planet regarding managing water resources and building water management infrastructure since its reunification with Russia, but this will become an ongoing process for all of us everywhere on the planet.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 01:24:34

The clowns fobbing of global warming by invoking variability are going to be reamed by it.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 16 Jul 2021, 05:48:06

Germany mounts huge rescue effort after floods leave dozens dead and many more missing -cnn
Fast moving torrents of water inundated entire towns and villages in western and southern Germany, causing buildings to collapse and leaving residents stranded, police said Thursday. At least 55 people have died in the severe flooding but authorities said that number is expected to rise. Germany is worst hit with 49 dead, while six people died in Belgium. Luxembourg and the Netherlands are also affected. In Germany's worst hit Rhineland-Palatinate state, 1,300 people are "assumed" missing in the district of Ahrweiler, the local government said.

There's a video and images of biblical destruction in link.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 16 Jul 2021, 06:02:02

Moscow, London, Beijing, and New York also experienced huge floods in the past few days, but the Germans really were battered. That video of an RV floating downriver and getting crumpled by a bridge was quite something. So many millions of people all over the world live in floodplains that I expect this kind of images to become very normal in the future.

I remember when I was little in Uruguay and the floods came, noticing how it was always the same areas that were affected, and I could never understand why the government allowed people to live there instead of buying them out and turning those areas into natural parks. It still happens all over the world, and I still can't understand it!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sun 18 Jul 2021, 00:54:52

Re methane hydrates Whitefang says "A spark, a little push is all it takes."

Dissecting paleoclimate change

Date:December 2, 2015

New research from UC Santa Barbara geologist James Kennett and colleagues examines a shift from a glacial to an interglacial climate that began about 630,000 years ago. Their research demonstrates that, although this transition developed over seven centuries, the initial shift required only 50 years. Called a deglacial episode because of its association with the melting of large Northern Hemisphere ice sheets, this interval illustrates the extreme sensitivity to change of Earth's climate system. The findings appear in the journal Paleoceanography.

"One of the most astonishing things about our results is the abruptness of the warming in sea surface temperatures," explained co-author Kennett, a professor emeritus in UCSB's Department of Earth Science. "Of the 45 degree Fahrenheit total, a shift of about 40 degrees occurred almost immediately right at the beginning."

"Kennett noted that this remarkable record of paleoclimate changes also raises an important question: What process can possibly push Earth's climate so fast from a glacial to an interglacial state? The researchers may have discovered the answer based on the core's geochemical record: The warming associated with the major climatic shift was accompanied by simultaneous releases of methane -- a potent greenhouse gas.

"This particular episode of climate change is closely associated with instability that caused the release of methane from gas hydrates at the ocean floor," Kennett said. "These frozen forms of methane melt when temperatures rise or pressure decreases. Changes in sea level affect the stability of gas hydrates and water temperature even more so.

"The clear synchronism of this rapid warming and the onset of the destabilization of gas hydrates is important," Kennett concluded. "It suggests that methane hydrate instability and the warming are somehow linked, which is an interesting and potentially important observation. The beauty of these paleoclimate records from the Santa Barbara Basin is that you can actually determine these relationships at high fidelity."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 155724.htm
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Mon 19 Jul 2021, 14:21:45

Poor remaining climate deniers. Getting mighty lonely I imagine or perhaps like other species that have gone extinct, they can't tell that only a handful of them remain.

Two dams in China's Inner Mongolia collapse after torrential rain

The ministry said that on average, 87 millimetres of rain fell in Hulunbuir over the weekend and as much as 223 millimetres at the Morin Dawa monitoring station.

Extreme weather has hit several parts of the world in recent weeks with flooding in Europe and heatwaves in North America, adding to worries about climate change.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/two ... 021-07-19/

Rain Bombs keep falling on their heads.....

Satellites Show How Earth’s Water Cycle Is Ramping Up as Climate Warms

NASA scientists have studied 17 years of gravity observations of our planet to understand how the global water cycle is changing.

The rate at which plants and the land surface release moisture into the air has increased on a global scale between 2003 and 2019. These processes are collectively known as evapotranspiration, and a new NASA study has calculated its increase by using observations from gravity satellites.

By gauging the mass change of water between the oceans and the continents, the researchers determined that evapotranspiration’s rate of increase is up to two times higher than previous estimates. This is important because evapotranspiration represents a critical branch of the global water cycle – a cycle that creates the conditions for life on land.

While it is known that a warming climate should increase the rate of evapotranspiration, accurate global measurements have, until now, been elusive.
“Our study found that evapotranspiration has increased by about 10% since 2003, which is more than previously estimated, and is mostly due to warming temperatures,” said Madeleine Pascolini-Campbell, a postdoctoral researcher at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California, who led the study. “We hope that this information about the water cycle will help to better inform the development and validation of climate models.”

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/satellite ... mate-warms

How Is Climate Change Impacting the Water Cycle?

Find out how rising global temperatures affect the water cycle in our latest infographic.

Climate change increases our risk of both heavy rains and extreme droughts. But why – and how – is that? Aren't the two contradictory?

Science has shown that climate change touches every corner of our planet’s ecosystem, and the water cycle is no exception. Because the processes involved are highly dependent on temperature, changes in one have consequences on the other. Specifically, as global temperatures have steadily increased at their fastest rates in millions of years, it’s directly affected things like water vapor concentrations, clouds, precipitation patterns, and stream flow patterns, which are all related to the water cycle.

So how does climate change impact the water cycle? We’ve created an infographic below that illustrates what’s going on, but we’ll describe it here too. Put simply, water evaporates from the land and sea, which eventually returns to Earth as rain and snow. Climate change intensifies this cycle because as air temperatures increase, more water evaporates into the air. Warmer air can hold more water vapor, which can lead to more intense rainstorms, causing major problems like extreme flooding in coastal communities around the world.

But it doesn’t end there. At the same time that some areas are experiencing stronger storms, others are experiencing more dry air and even drought. Like we mentioned above, as temperatures rise, evaporation increases and soils dry out. Then when rain does come, much of the water runs off the hard ground into rivers and streams, and the soil remains dry. The result? Still more evaporation from the soil and an increased risk of drought.

Check out the infographic below to see how climate change is affecting the water cycle.

https://www.climaterealityproject.org/b ... ater-cycle

Different topic, same deniers.

Unvaccinated make up 96% of Alabama COVID-19 deaths since April

https://www.wsfa.com/2021/07/13/unvacci ... nce-april/
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Mon 19 Jul 2021, 16:33:56

First off I want to thank you mustang & the other 3 remaining climate deniers for always responding to my posts, day or night, (I have a weird scheduled) almost instantly. I'm flattered indeed.

If you want to talk about predictions we must first pause & give a big round of applause to many scientist over the last 5 decades who NAILED IT! on so many things that have come to pass.

Just look at all the smashed to shit infrastructure & ever increasing body counts from the ever more destructive AGW Jacked events....as predicted & warned about in hundreds of peer reviewed papers & official warnings (and pleading) from various scientific bodies too.

Alas, their only major error was "faster than expected" which means you & yours & everyone else will not be living out your expected life spans & will spend your final years in fear & suffering.

Go look at my recent posts on the other side if you're interested the scientific explanation of your fast approaching doom (I always share extra in the days before I head out to the bush, or what's left of it.)

What I no longer do is fulfill evidence requests of climate deniers, evolution deniers, flat earthers, gravity deniers or anyone demanding evidence for established facts. Enjoy your endtimes.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby suxs » Mon 19 Jul 2021, 22:52:57

@mustang19

Enough already with the buffoonery.

Regardless of square roots and the other mumbo-jumbo you banter about, NOAA confirms:

1. 2020 was the warmest year on record followed by 2019.

2. The hottest decade on record occurred during the 2010s.

3. The last 30 day period during which the Earth experienced cooler than normal temps. was December 1985.

4. According to NASA, ocean acidification has increased 30% since the inception of the industrial revolution.
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 07:01:11

And then what is bad about oil?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 20:45:36

"Central China's Henan witnesses heaviest rainfall in 60 years; at least 1 dead, 2 missing"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1229173.shtml

"The maximum precipitation in Zhengzhou reached 201.9 millimeters per hour, breaking the previous record of 198.5 millimeters in 1975, according to the national meteorological observatory.

From 8 pm Saturday to 8 pm Tuesday, precipitation in Zhengzhou had reached 617.1 millimeters with hourly and daily precipitation both breaking 60-year records, according to media reports.

The average yearly precipitation in Zhengzhou is 640.8 millimeters.

The rain was induced by Typhoon In-Fa, experts said."

Holy crap! 201.9 mm per hour is a lot of rain! That is 8 inches of rain per hour to you non metric Americans. And then almost a year's worth of rain in 4 days, with even more rain forecasted for tomorrow! Holy crap! I guess the gods must be pissing on us! :lol:
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 00:13:41

Central Chinese province swamped after heaviest rain in 1,000 years
The lives of millions of people in Henan have been upended since the weekend in an unusually active rainy season that has led to the rapid rise of a number of rivers in the vast Yellow River basin.

Many train services across Henan, a major logistics hub in central China, have been suspended. Many highways have also been closed and flights delayed or cancelled.

Roads in a dozen populous cities have been flooded. Videos on social media showed residents, their arms interlocked, wading across streets in fast-moving water. One video showed an adult and a child being swept away on a major artery choked with half-submerged vehicles.

From the evening of Saturday until late Tuesday, 617.1 millimetres (mm) of rain had drenched Zhengzhou - almost on par with the city's annual average of 640.8 mm.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/hea ... 021-07-20/
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Azothius » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 11:20:10

Terrifying video footage of the flood in China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaKX6MGw99c&t=209s
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 14:17:10

FamousDrScanlon wrote:Central Chinese province swamped after heaviest rain in 1,000 years

That was before climate changed.

Thanks to global warming we are going to see these kinds of large flooding events much more frequently in the future.

More CO2 in the atmosphere means more global warming and that means more flooding and other climate disasters

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 24 Jul 2021, 17:48:02

Turkey: cars float down flooded streets as residents rescued – video

Rescuers pulled inflatable boats in flood waters gushing through streets of Turkey's Black Sea district of Arhavi on Thursday to bring those stranded to safety.

Footage released by the country's interior ministry showed distressed residents being evacuated from flooded homes. Access to dozens of villages in Arhavi were blocked and rescue efforts were under way - with officials saying 200 people had been evacuated.

Floods are common along Turkey's Black Sea coastal region at this time of year. Last week, at least six people were killed and two others went missing in flood waters in Black Sea province of Rize

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... cued-video
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 24 Jul 2021, 17:50:50

Nonseasonal floods kill 14 people in south and east of Yemen
The storms are not seasonal for the south and the east of Yemen, which is usually dry this time of year.
The country’s northwestern highlands experience seasonal rain from late spring through early fall.
The storms also damaged crops, roads, and telecommunications infrastructure.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1898701/middle-east
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sat 24 Jul 2021, 18:45:02

Flash floods, lightning take 8 lives nationwide

Seven people were killed by floods and another one was killed by lightning in 16 provinces, Mahdi Valipour, an official with the Iranian Red Crescent Society, said on Friday.

More than 200 rescue and relief groups are working in 61 counties affected by natural disasters, he noted.

The IRCS forces have provided relief for some 5,000 people, accommodating 835 ones in shelters and relocating 58 others to safe regions.

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/463338 ... nationwide
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

Unread postby FamousDrScanlon » Sun 25 Jul 2021, 15:57:05

The Climate Crisis Could Overwhelm Subway Systems

Swift, deadly flooding in China this week inundated a network that wasn’t even a decade old, highlighting the risks faced by cities globally.

Terrified passengers trapped in flooded subway cars in Zhengzhou, China. Water cascading down stairways into the London Underground. A woman wading through murky, waist-deep water to reach a New York City subway platform.
Subway systems around the world are struggling to adapt to an era of extreme weather brought on by climate change. Their designs, many based on the expectations of another era, are being overwhelmed, and investment in upgrades could be squeezed by a drop in ridership brought on by the pandemic.

The recent flooding is yet another example of the kind of extreme weather that is consistent with changing climate around the world.
Just days before the China subway nightmare, floods in Germany killed some 160 people. Major heat waves have brought misery to Scandinavia, Siberia and Pacific Northwest in the United States. Wildfires in the American West and Canada sent smoke across the continent this past week and triggered health alerts in cities like Toronto, Philadelphia and New York City, giving the sun an eerie reddish tinge.
Flash floods have inundated roads and highways in recent weeks, as well. The collapse of a portion of California’s Highway 1 into the Pacific Ocean after heavy rains this year was a reminder of the fragility of the nation’s roads.
But more intense flooding poses a particular challenge to aging subway systems in some of the world’s largest cities.
In New York, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has invested $2.6 billion in resiliency projects since Hurricane Sandy swamped the city’s subway system in 2012, including fortifying 3,500 subway vents, staircases and elevator shafts against flooding. Even on a dry day, a network of pumps pours out about 14 million gallons, mainly groundwater, from the system. Still, flash flooding this month showed that the system remains vulnerable.

https://archive.is/ReJVA#selection-317.0-321.141

Any upgrades are a can kick, but there's not much choice since the plebs will never accept any form of triage that costs them & few are capable of imagining all or parts of their cities ruined & abandoned in their lifetime. It's going to happen. Look for a real estate rush to the exits in S Florida. It could act like a first domino falling causing them all to fall up & down the eastern seaboard. What does a trillion dollars worth of coastal property devalued in short order do to the economy? There's probably no worse place for Sea Level Rise than the eastern seaboard.

Rising Seas Are Flooding Norfolk Naval Base, and There’s No Plan to Fix It

The giant naval base in Virginia is under threat by rising seas and sinking land, but little is being done to hold back the tides.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2510 ... -virginia/

“It’s not supposed to be a pond,” said Joe Bouchard, a retired captain and former base commander. “It is now.”

Rising seas threaten Norfolk Naval Shipyard, raising fears of 'catastrophic damage'

“Every year you wait to make decisions and take actions, the risk goes up," said retired Rear Adm. Jonathan White.

In the past 10 years, Norfolk Naval Shipyard has suffered nine major floods that have damaged equipment used to repair ships, and the flooding is worsening, according to the Navy. In 2016, rain from Hurricane Matthew left 2 feet of water in one building, requiring nearly $1.2 million in repairs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ri ... ge-n937396

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magazine ... at-coasts/

https://ucsusa.org/resources/sea-level- ... k-virginia

That's just one city. Do the math.
FamousDrScanlon
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate