Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Three Gorges Dam

Re: Three Gorges Dam

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 04 Nov 2020, 18:07:04

Mousepad,

Thats a good question.

What timeframe would he acceptable to you?

After you are dead?
Or your children?
Or your grandkids?
7 generations?
2100?
2200?

How would those alive in those future times want you to respond?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby mousepad » Thu 05 Nov 2020, 16:28:13

Newfie wrote:What timeframe would be acceptable to you?

I think I have to accept whatever nature dishes out.
And I don't think change is a problem. It's the abruptness, that's difficult to handle.

If you tell me we're going to have plenty of food and fuel for the next 500 years and then from 1 day to the next all supplies are cut in half.
That's a big issue, but if you tell me we're going to gradually loose half of our supplies over the next 500 years, I'd say easy.
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 05 Nov 2020, 19:33:39

Thats a reasonable approach. Of course we do not know the time frame.

There are indications that the collapse could be relatively sudden. My best guess is it will be lumpy; occurring here and there with some relative smooth intervals.

IIRC the Limits to Growth folks suggested that once one major indicator broke bad it would drag the rest down chaotically.

Again, IMHO, it would he wise to assume the collapse is inevitable and that fhe higher the peak the steeper the fall.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Wed 11 Nov 2020, 19:04:15

It is somewhat premature to say if the dam is a success or a failure.

It depends on the expected lifetime of the project. It will be a success - until - perhaps - very suddenly it is very much not a success.

That it already has had such difficulties and not even a decade has passed is not exactly comforting, but perhaps the situation was the wake-up call they needed to strengthen the dam and construct sufficient countermeasures.

For all the time it stands it is a huge success - in terms of power production which are about 100 TWh. Denmarks entire consumption is 33 TWh. - So its powering 3 Denmarks which are full of energy top-consumers.

Or in other words: It provides a modern man energy consumption lifestyle for almost 20 million people.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 12 Nov 2020, 19:18:38

Peak_Yeast wrote:That it already has had such difficulties and not even a decade has passed is not exactly comforting, but perhaps the situation was the wake-up call they needed to strengthen the dam and construct sufficient countermeasures.

What difficulties are you referring to? Theoretical problems that do not materialize by hysterical reports trying to make headlines do not count.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 19 Nov 2020, 17:03:34

"China's Three Gorges sets world record for annual power generation from a single hydropower plant"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1207362.shtml

"Making full use of the comprehensive benefits of flood control, navigation and water resources utilization, the Three Gorges project has generated 103.1 billion kilowatt-hours of clean energy this year, topping the previous record set in 2016 by the Itaipu Dam in South America, the Three Gorges Corp announced on Wednesday.

The volume of clean electricity is equivalent to saving 31.7 million tons of standard coal, reducing 86.7 million tons of carbon dioxide, 20,600 tons of sulfur dioxide, and 19,600 tons of nitrogen oxide."

I keep waiting for it to collapse, but it just doesn't! The suspense is killing me!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Fri 20 Nov 2020, 04:55:51

Three Gorges Dam opened all 10 spillways to lower the flood crest on Wed as the inbound flow of water rose to 72,000 cubic meters per second, the largest inbound flow since the dam was built. pic.twitter.com/RYlYEVoWGy
— People's Daily, China (@PDChina) August 19, 2020

About 100,000 people have been evacuated in Sichuan. Authorities reportedly dispatched helicopters to rescue those stranded by the rising waters.

I would call that a difficulty that should not be repeated too often.

The company noted that parts of the dam had “deformed slightly,” displacing some external structures, and seepage into the main outlet walls had also been reported throughout the 18 hours on Saturday and Sunday when water was discharged though its outlets.

I would also call that a difficulty.

"The problem is that China once claimed the dam would withstand a 10,000 year flood, then a 1,000 year flood and now only a 100 year flood. Then in 2018 it was reported online that pictures show that the Three Gorges Dam has moved"

And now we have a 100 year flood after slightly more than 10 years? Yes .. I believe that is also a difficulty.

Perhaps your definition of a difficulty differs from mine - if so fine. We can disagree.
"If democracy is the least bad form of government - then why dont we try it for real?"
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dissident » Fri 20 Nov 2020, 12:26:04

JuanP wrote:"China's Three Gorges sets world record for annual power generation from a single hydropower plant"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1207362.shtml

I keep waiting for it to collapse, but it just doesn't! The suspense is killing me!

Somehow western fake stream media sources doctoring photographs of the dam showing it deforming in a catastrophic manner are OK. Brazen lies and hoaxes are the new normal of western "news".
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Peak_Yeast » Fri 20 Nov 2020, 18:40:49

It got lost in editing, but I want to make it clear that I am all for 3 gorges dam. But I am also ALL for making it last 100+ years.
Peak_Yeast
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 29 Nov 2020, 10:47:05

"China to build historic Yarlung Zangbo River hydropower project in Tibet"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1208405.shtml

"According to the report, the mainstream of the Yarlung Zangbo River has the richest water resources in Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, about 80 million kilowatt hours (kWh), while the 50-kilometer section of the Yarlung Zangbo Grand Canyon has 70 million kWh that could be developed with a 2,000-meter drop, which equals more than three Three Gorges power stations.

Tibet has about 200 million kWh of water resources, accounting for 30 percent of the total in China.

Yan said that the hydropower exploitation of the Yarlung Zangbo River downstream is more than a hydropower project. It is also meaningful for the environment, national security, living standards, energy and international cooperation.

According to Yan, the 60 million kWh hydropower exploitation at the downstream of the Yarlung Zangbo River could provide 300 billion kWh of clean, renewable and zero-carbon electricity annually. The project will play a significant role in realizing China's goal of reaching a carbon emissions peak before 2030 and carbon neutrality in 2060."

The speed with which China continues to modernize has been blowing my mind for over 40 years. I don't think that any other country in the world ever achieved so much progress for so many people in such a short period of time in all of human history; I also believe that no other country ever will, either. China is a truly exceptional country!

By the way, I am still anxiously waiting for the collapse of the Three Gorges Dam, which has been announced as imminent and inevitable by Western imperialist nations since it was built. That damned dam simply refuses to collapse! I am running out of nails to bite; I am biting my toenails now!
Last edited by JuanP on Sun 29 Nov 2020, 11:00:01, edited 1 time in total.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby REAL Green » Sun 29 Nov 2020, 10:57:58

JuanP wrote:"China to build historic Yarlung Zangbo River hydropower project in Tibet"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1208405.shtml

The speed with which China continues to modernize has been blowing my mind for over 40 years. I don't think that any other country in the world ever achieved so much progress for so many people in such a short period of time in all of human history; I also believe that no other country ever will, either. China is a truly exceptional country!

Please JuanP, your mind is blown from more than China. China is the greatest threat to the planet currently. It is followed closely by the west that is far less energetic. China could give a shit about its people or the planet. They are rapping neighboring countries like Tibet in the name of Chinese hegemony. China is nothing to moan in delight over as you constantly do.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Wed 02 Dec 2020, 15:19:20

The sanctimonious NATO west prefers to wait for magical alternatives while it shuts down its clean nuclear power because of tsunami flooding risk (Germany) and Green Party terrorism (France) and turns to coal. China exploiting world's best hydro-electric resources is to be smeared with hate excrement. Funny how the rapid deployment of coal power plants in China in the last 30 years due to energy demand pressure was never attacked like the Three Gorges project. It shows you exactly the sort of "truth" being pushed by the NATO fake stream media.
dissident
Expert
Expert

"Yarlung Zangbo River hydropower project"

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 14 Mar 2021, 00:03:04

"Yarlung Zangbo River hydropower project nailed with the passing of 14th Five Year Plan, but won't be completed soon"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202103/1218241.shtml

Meet China's new largest hydropower project, three times bigger than the Three Gorges Dam. Construction has been approved and will begin during the next five years with plans to complete all the dams before 2035. It's an important part of China's plan to reduce the carbon intensity of its electrical power generation system, together with improving and expanding their HV distribution network, building more natural gas plants, building hundreds of nuclear reactors, and increasing the use of all forms of renewable energy.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sun 14 Mar 2021, 13:10:11

So China is actually doing something about CO2 emissions. But I am told by western sources that it is doing nothing about global warming. Colour me surprised. China's demand for natural gas is exploding because it is trying to wind down the coal generation that is giving it massive pollution problems (both through aerosols and mercury). In the context of Germany's absurd discontinuation of the use of nuclear power and deployment of coal power plants, it looks like China is doing more than the self-hyped do-gooders in the west.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 14 Mar 2021, 13:21:37

dissident wrote:So China is actually doing something about CO2 emissions. But I am told by western sources that it is doing nothing about global warming. Colour me surprised. China's demand for natural gas is exploding because it is trying to wind down the coal generation that is giving it massive pollution problems (both through aerosols and mercury). In the context of Germany's absurd discontinuation of the use of nuclear power and deployment of coal power plants, it looks like China is doing more than the self-hyped do-gooders in the west.

Clearly. They are being MUCH MUCH more aggressive about getting lots of BEV's on the roads as well -- even with the Chinese GDP per capita much lower than that in the US. Making it very hard to get ICE approved license plates in big polluted cities is one key example of this.

With China's gigantic population and relatively fast growing economy, it will produce lots of GHG's for decades, due largely to momentum and the magnitude of converting to greener fuels and tech. That doesn't mean they're ignoring the problem by ANY means, however the usual suspects might try to spin it.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 21 Apr 2021, 01:05:54

"Three Gorges Dam dedicated to fish, plant conservation since before construction, as ecology and dam building go hand in hand"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1221602.shtml

The Chinese seem to be attacking their environmental problems in a thorough and systematic way. They even implemented a fishing ban in the Yangtse River and started fish breeding programs to increase fish populations and reintroduce species.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby suxs » Sat 24 Apr 2021, 01:14:39

JunaP

Considering how China's dam-building program has destroyed countless unique habitats and species, the apparent effort to save five fish species from the extinction abyss is an obvious PR ploy. Meanwhile, the Chinese are busily devouring the world's flora and fauna to satisfy Asia's insatiable appetite. About one year ago, in the Cauca Departamento of Colombia, a group of 24 Chinese nationals made the grievous mistake of trespassing upon the land of a tribal group that aggressively defends their forests. The Chinese were caught red-handed with an extensive collection of wildlife. They were subjected to a slow and brutal death for their violation, although as a courtesy, the dismembered body parts were returned to the Chinese consulate in Cali.
suxs
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jawagord » Sat 24 Apr 2021, 10:20:37

suxs wrote:JunaP

Considering how China's dam-building program has destroyed countless unique habitats and species, the apparent effort to save five fish species from the extinction abyss is an obvious PR ploy. Meanwhile, the Chinese are busily devouring the world's flora and fauna to satisfy Asia's insatiable appetite. About one year ago, in the Cauca Departamento of Colombia, a group of 24 Chinese nationals made the grievous mistake of trespassing upon the land of a tribal group that aggressively defends their forests. The Chinese were caught red-handed with an extensive collection of wildlife. They were subjected to a slow and brutal death for their violation, although as a courtesy, the dismembered body parts were returned to the Chinese consulate in Cali.

Are you sure it wasn’t midget Cambodians fighting a Jaguar? The Cambodian’s have an reputation and Sino-Khmers look the same? 8O

April 30, 2005 was a dark day for 42 Cambodian midgets who fought a lion in the city of Kampong Chhnang. The fight originated because the president of the Cambodian Midget Fighting League, Yang Sihamoni, responded to the challenge of an irate fan. The fan insinuated that a lion could defeat the league’s entire roster by itself.
To prove the fan wrong, a lion was imported from Africa. The fight was allowed by the Cambodian government under two conditions. The first was it received 50 percent of revenue generated. The second condition was no cameras were to be allowed.

Once the fight started, it was over in 12 minutes. Twenty-eight of the combatants had been killed, and the remaining 14 were missing limbs and/or had broken bones. Sihamoni was stunned by the outcome of the match. He believed his fighters would prevail as they outnumbered the lion 42 to 1.

https://westerncourier.com/20773/news/c ... nt-lesson/
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 27 May 2021, 17:07:16

"China swings into flood defenses as 97 rivers exceed warning levels"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1224700.shtml

"China has swung into gear to fortify its flood-defense network ahead of what may be a heavy flood season, with 97 rivers across the country having already exceeded warning levels as of Thursday."

So, the rainy season has started early in China this year, but the Chinese allege that they are capable of dealing with bigger floods than last year's, if necessary. They've had another year to build better flood defenses, but they are still 3 to 4 years away from completing all the infrastructure in the national flood defense plan, which was designed at the same time of the Three Gorges Dam construction. So far, they are on schedule to complete it as part of their current Five Year Plan, as originally intended.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Sat 29 May 2021, 22:36:45

"Mega hydropower station in SW China expected to be operational in July"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1223738.shtml

"Baihetan on the Jinsha River, the upper section of the Yangtze, straddles the southwest provinces of Yunnan and Sichuan. Located here, the Baihetan hydropower station has a total installed capacity of 16 million kilowatts. It is the second-largest hydropower station in China in terms of installed capacity, second only to the Three Gorges Dam project in the central province of Hubei.

The first batch of Baihetan's generating units will go into operation in July 2021, and all units are expected to be operational by July 2022."

China continues building dams and other infrastructure to provide electricity and manage floods and water resources at a very rapid speed. The Chinese province of Tibet will provide even more electricity after all the dams planned there get built this decade; these Tibetan dams will most likely reduce regular, extremely damaging floods downstream, too, particularly in Bangladesh.
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate