Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

BP Slashes Its Oil Exploration Team by 85%, Starts Switching

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: BP Slashes Its Oil Exploration Team by 85%, Starts Switc

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 15 Mar 2021, 19:41:28

DesuMaiden wrote:really this news is no surprise, given that there literally isn't any new oil to be found on this planet.

I seem to recall that one being said before, in different forms. Jimmy Carter used that angle to declare that the world would run out of the stuff by the end of the 1980's, and we all know how that went. Then "peak" got substituted in for "running out" because the malthusians figured that would allow them to discount all the new reserves that kept showing up, in order to declare the Rapture all over again.

And now you repeat the mantra of the early 21st century peakers, while failing to mention that they were laughed off the serious stage nearly a decade ago now.

DesuMaiden wrote: This planet has been thoroughly and vigorously explored for oil since the 1870s. They have detailed satellite images of almost every nook and cranny on the surface of this planet (Google Maps anyone?) I doubt they could have missed any significiant oil fields by now.

I'll take the experts word for it rather than some peak oiler who missed what happened during the past decade and a half.

DesuMaiden wrote:And besides, all of the easy-to-extract oil has already been discovered.

Yeah, saying what you said above again doesn't make it any more true.

DesuMaiden wrote:And most of those fields have ,or will soon be, completely depleted.

No. They aren't. And no. They won't. Stop being a peak oil infant.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dissident » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 11:32:45

DesuMaiden wrote:really this news is no surprise, given that there literally isn't any new oil to be found on this planet. This planet has been thoroughly and vigorously explored for oil since the 1870s. They have detailed satellite images of almost every nook and cranny on the surface of this planet (Google Maps anyone?) I doubt they could have missed any significiant oil fields by now. And besides, all of the easy-to-extract oil has already been discovered. And most of those fields have ,or will soon be, completely depleted. Obviously, all of the easy-to-extract oil is first exploited, and then people discover and extract more difficult-to-extract fields. Until there is nothing left to find.

According to all sorts of deluded individuals the global ocean seabed has not been explored (enough) and thus there must be trillions and trillions of barrels there to exploit. These losers don't have a clue about geology. They are the same ones that think that the Arctic Ocean seabed is full of hydrocarbons even though its dominated by metamorphosed sedimentary rock.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 12:29:55

dissident wrote:According to all sorts of deluded individuals the global ocean seabed has not been explored (enough) and thus there must be trillions and trillions of barrels there to exploit.

Interesting. Do you have a reference to the scientifically based assessments of these amounts? The USGS certainly has included quite a bit of oil offshore, but none of their estimates stretch into the trillions and trillions.

I would venture that developing all the oil we currently know about, let alone trillions and trillions of barrels more, is likely to be bad for the environment.

Buy an EV, avoid the rush!

dissident wrote: These losers don't have a clue about geology.

So this means they are sort of like peak oilers, except opposite in terms of their volume claims?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion