Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What are your prep projects this year?

If you are through speculating, this is the place to discuss actions you are taking.

Re: What are your prep projects this year?

Unread postby Newfie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 pm

Some folks did a test on boat cockpit covers, a Bimini. This is the fabric that makes sort of a tent over the cockpit. A dark color raised the cockpit temp 10°F. Thats with no sides.

Why are most sailboats white?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:35 am

Newfie wrote:Some folks did a test on boat cockpit covers, a Bimini. This is the fabric that makes sort of a tent over the cockpit. A dark color raised the cockpit temp 10°F. Thats with no sides.

I always thought it was to increase visibility if you need rescuers to find you in the vast sea.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JuanP » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:20 am

Tanada wrote:
Newfie wrote:Some folks did a test on boat cockpit covers, a Bimini. This is the fabric that makes sort of a tent over the cockpit. A dark color raised the cockpit temp 10°F. Thats with no sides.

I always thought it was to increase visibility if you need rescuers to find you in the vast sea.

No, in that case they would be bright orange, yellow, pink, or red, which is why most life rafts use those colors. White is not that visible, particularly in storms or with breaking waves or foamy seas.

Most Bimini tops and sail covers in Miami are dark blue, dark purple, or dark green, which are all colors that trap a lot of heat. I had a light beige/sand color in all my Sunbrella fabric covers, including the Bimini tops. A bright yellow is a good option in the tropics, too.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! TRUMP 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:08 am

Juan,

Decades ago I did SAR, looking for a white sailboat among the white caps is difficult. Orange seems to be the best color.

Very counterintuitively Grand Banks fishermen painted their buoys BLACK. This created high contrast which was easiest to see in the fog.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:47 pm

After coming back from Dominica we spent 6 months in the yard with various maintenance and improvement projects.

I though I was around the corner but I came to find out my portlights needed replacement. And that is turning into an epic story.

I am going to need to enlarge the openings (3/16 steel) and mold some internal trim rings in fiberglass. I have never done anything like that before. You need to make a positive plug, then a mold, and then you can make the castings. 10 in all.

Know I can install the port lights well. I don't know if I can make the trim rings well. If I can do it right it will be a huge improvement to the boat, functionally and ascetically. If not???
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Sounds like a challenge, Newf. Fun tho!

I don't have any fun projects, prep projects either, I have to hook up the sewer line for the new laundry...

I daydream of a cabin in the woods while I'm plumbing, keeps me from slicing an artery with the tube cutters.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:38 am

Alaska is the best state in the country in terms of getting people vaccinated and I' m coming up on one month since I had my second jab of Moderna covid vaccine.

On the same day I reach 30 days past my second vaccination I'm booked on a trip to Seattle......Just a little test to see what traveling is like. Seattle is just coming out of lockdown now, so some of the museums I want to visit have very limited hours and a reservation system to get inside but if the planes are flying I am going to go.

Seattle will be my practice trip.....to see what travel is like now.

I'm hoping to get back to my normal life style again by mid-summer, and I'm prepping for that.

If I get through the Seattle trip OK, then I've already booked in two front row seats for me and my beautiful friend to see every play being put on at a certain Shakespeare festival in mid summer, and then I'm going to Vienna and Prague and Budapest, Hungary and the Ukraine and Bulgaria in the fall and early winter as part of my attempt to visit every country in Europe. And then next year I'm going back to some of the places I love in China, Tibet and the Himalayas. And I still haven't been to Bhutan so I'll head there after Tibet, to get one new country on my check list.

I'm prepping to go to Bulgaria and several other eastern European countries.....

I'm prepping to get back to normal life as the covid epidemic dies out.

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:12 am

Plantagenet wrote:I'm prepping to go to Bulgaria and several other eastern European countries.....

I'm prepping to get back to normal life as the covid epidemic dies out.

Cheers!

Given the subject of this thread, is lots of global air travel "prep projects" for you? :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:55 am

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Given the subject of this thread, is ...travel "prep projects" for you?

Yes.

My plan for the future is to try to see as much of the world as I can before global warming collapses modern society and destroys fragile ecosystems around the planet while our incompetent political leaders do nothing.

And travel doesn't happen without a lot of preparation and planning.

How about you?

Are you prepping for anything?

Or are you just going to continue doing the same things this year as you did last year and so have no need and no plan to prep for anything next year?

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Plantagenet wrote:My plan for the future is to try to see as much of the world as I can

That's not a prep. It's equivalent to a smoker deciding to smoke through his blow-hole after his throat and (self inflicted) lung cancer diagnosis.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:22 pm

aadbrd wrote:... a smoker deciding to smoke through his blow-hole after his throat and (self inflicted) lung cancer diagnosis.

If thats the kind of fantasy that comes into your mind in the middle of a discussion about prepping for the future, then I have to tell you that you definitely aren't tracking on the topic under discussion. Most people, when the discussion is about prepping for the future, would come up with constructive ideas about how to prep for the future.

In contrast, you are clearly thinking about very dark and very negative things and your mind for some reason generated a bizarre self-destructive fantasy that you then felt compelled to say, even though it had nothing to do with the discussion.

That kind of wacko self-destructive ideation and disconnect from the real world is sometimes a warning sign.

I suggest you should ask yourself a pretty important question----why is your subconscious creating such dark and negative and self-destructive fantasies in your mind?

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:44 pm

Step one of my project is to make a “plug”. The plug is an exact replica of what the finished product should look like. I decided to make my plug our of wood because the end product will be hollow and pretty weak. The plug needs to be physically stable and robust.

So this is step one of the plug, a VERY rough shape. Needs tons of sanding down and the voids will be filled with a sandable filler. Then some resin. Much work to do yet.

Thats layers if 1x12 trim. The pegs are dowels to hold it together. I cut the center out with a band saw. It is now being glued into a single block. The clamps are holding it while the glue sets.

The plug is used ONCE to make a mold, it is then thrown away. But it needs to be near perfect. Weird.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ayoob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:31 pm

Topping the trees around my property for safety reasons, stacking up firewood for future winters, get my chickens started in the side yard, probably start with 4 hens in an 8 hen henhouse and see how it goes, tear out a bunch of "ornamental" bushes and trees and put in something that has the potential to pull its own weight like Oregon Grape, lots of blueberries, another apple tree, two pears, another plum, then some nut trees. They'll take forever, but this house ain't going anywhere so might as well get things started. The plan is to have something coming in over the next few years. It's not quite crunch time so the apple trees can wait.

The other project is power. I'm running natural gas to the house with extra natural gas ports with something like 7 or 8 outlets installed around the house, so I can run a dual fuel whole house generator, a grill, a pressure canning station on natural gas, shit I could have run my still on natural gas but never thought of it. Dang. Furnace, continuous hot water, a gas fireplace upstairs, a shop heater with 30KBTU output in the basement by the big ol Blaze King Princess wood stove, a mini generator just to keep the meat frozen downstairs in case anything happens with the big generator, switching out a bunch of light bulbs with Philips Hue bulbs, etc. Natural gas, electricity, I could always back it all up with a couple 100 gallon tanks of propane if I needed to. I want to put a couple natural gas patio heaters out in various place around the house to stay warm if I decide to step outside for a bit. More corrugated roofing to protect from the rain in a few spots.

On the interior I'm going to rip out the staircase from the middle of the house and replace with a spiral because that will fit the space better, then some masonry walls behind that for sound deadening among other things.

Transportation - I'm thinking about putting CNG cans in my cars and a NG pump at the house to fill up. I can put an 8 gallon tank in my car and probably a 30 gallon in the SUV, they'd probably be continuously sucking on that NG nipple as I have a bit of a commute. Park them at the end of the day and set them to fill, they'll get 8 gallons overnight and the SUV can fill up during the day. Get my motorcycle road worthy again, add the bigger fuel tank, get the heads ported, upgrade the cylinder piston, couple other farkles, mount the GPS properly, and start riding again.

Fire suppression - Remove and replace the water spigots around the outside with double spigots and a more robust mounting system on the wall, and a bunch more 100 foot black rubber Craftsman hoses. We have a fire problem around here so it's probably a good idea to be a little more prepared on that note. Topping the trees is probably the most important thing, but I'd like to have water if I need it.

Maybe I can get that all done in a year.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:07 pm

Very cool ayoob. Any idea about nat gas backup? or do you have your own well?
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:00 pm

Ooops plug photos did not post.

Image Image [URL=https://imgbox.com/V0i6dTEm]Image[/URL
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:31 pm

What exactly is the part being made from the plug supposed to do on your yacht?

Is it for a frame to hold a porthole into an interior cabin?

If not a porthole frame, then what exactly is the piece made from the plug going to be used for?

Cheers!

PS: I wonder what the ratio of fun time vs. work time actually is for someone who owns and sails a sailboat?

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 pm

Plant,

So yes that is a roughly similar port light. The port lights proper attach to the steel skin. But you have the wall thickness between the steel and the inside. There is, or should be, insulation in there.

The new port lights are slightly taller and more rectangular than the old lights. So I have to not only cut the steel (3/16”) to accept the ports, but I have to recut this opening you see in the picture.

The previous owner had replaced the “wall” with formica over 1/4” ply, but did a poor job of finishing the hole through the wall. Looks like doo doo. So I need something that kind of looks like the white thing below. It will be a spigot with flanges, like in the photo. They are not available for the portlights I am installing. And I am very limited with space, these are the ONE portlight that works without me having to weld in filler plates. Each vendor makes different size port lights, not much of a “standard size” opening.

My pervious attempt at forming the flange on the plug was a dismal failure. I took a more complicated solution that ended up actually being much easier than I thought. And I will get a better final product.

I know these pics are kind of cryptic. Sorry for that. Bottom line is I need to finish this plug to a high degree of accuracy and very, very finely sanded, then I use this plug to make a mold, and then use the mold to make 10 trim rings, one for each port light.

This is just me learning a new skill set. Definitely not in my comfor some here.

Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 am

Newfie wrote:
This is just me learning a new skill set. Definitely not in my comfor some here.

Thats the amazing thing about Yachties.....they need all kinds of new skills....Yachties have to become experts in everything from navigation to marine plumbing to carpentry to cooking.

The covid shutdown has been a great time to learn some new skills.

I bought a home-made double bass from a junk store here in central Alaska and I've been learning to play double bass all winter....my goal is to play as good as Dick Smothers of the Smothers brothers.

Double bass-----its harder then it looks.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:33 am

Plant,

So I had to do some research to learn how to do my project. The best yTube videos came from two sources: radio controlled airplane hobbiests and role players, people who dress as fictional or historical characters. They are both making stuff using this process; RC vehicles or fancy fake swords and such to replicate historical weapons or Star Wars props. These folks are really talented, God only knows what they do for a day job.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:14 pm

I continue to struggle with my portlight frame project. I have found a couole of ways to do it wrong but am zeroing in on success. Three or four more failures and I’ll be there.

I pulled my first frame off the plug. It has some issues but the size and shape are pretty darn good. And I think I have now figured out the process. I need to do some small repairs and mods to the mold and my next casting should be much better.

This frame is good enough to use but requires a lot of clean up. Hopefully the next frame will be much cleaner, no grey stuff, and come out of the mold easier. If so then just 9 more castings to go.

They take about 2 hours to lay up and a day and a half to cure.

Image Image
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Planning For The Future