Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Carbon trading/tax News and Discussion pt.2

Re: Carbon trading/tax News and Discussion pt.2

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 13:18:47

It's the massive overpopulation of humans that is damaging the Earth. Without that, we would not have the multitude of problems that I will briefly describe as species extinctions, resource depletions, energy shortages, and environmental degradations/pollution.

The habitat will further degrade as long as humans reproduce without constraints. Then the die-off will begin. Although I do not personally believe in AGW, if it were only real, I would welcome it as a means of reducing the human overshoot population before the other problems I mention do so. Because humans can and will adapt to climate change. However they cannot survive some of those other problems.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pops » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 13:36:01

Been in WA only a couple of years but the first thing I'd say is WA already has a pretty stiff "carbon tax." Gas tax is one of the highest in the US, unleaded is maybe $3.25-50 currently. Frankly I'm not sure the $10 yearly estimated cost to the average driver would matter a speck.

Just as an aside, the measure was not a tax per se, it was a fee, the difference being the proceeds would go to dedicated programs rather than the general fund — I believe they tried a straight tax last time, that failed too.

I don't expect any headway on this front, ever, it is way too good as a wedge issue.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 00:08:11

Ds and environmentalists in the US are abandoning support for carbon taxes

carbon-tax-climate-change-environmentalists-back-away

Ds complain that Carbon taxes aren't popular, so Ds aren't going to support them.

I hate it when our political "leaders" turn out be political cowards. If the Ds aren't willing to make some hard choices about climate change, and the Rs don't even believe in it, then we really are doomed.

US politicians trying to figure out what is "popular" so they can support it.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 00:21:04

White House police just arrested 138 demonstrators in the office of Nancy Pelosi. Their crime? They wanted Pelosi and the Ds to support "green new deal" legislation and a carbon tax to mitigate global warming. The Ds talk a good game, but in practice they oppose doing anything substantive to mitigate CO2 and CH4 emissions in the USA.

environmental-activists-arrested-pelosi-capitol-hill-office

Arrest those students and throw them in jail, said Nancy Pelosi. They don't understand that carbon taxes aren't popular!!!!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 01:50:33

Thanks for pointing out the brave protests of these young activists. I would point out, though, that Pelosi has in fact agreed to meet with them (sorry that this doesn't fit in with your narrow, always anti-Dems propaganda putsch :) ):

House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi offered a meeting to a group of young climate change activists the same day 61 people were arrested for demonstrating outside her office Monday, according to the Sunrise Movement, which organizes direct action protests against Democrats.

The organization told VICE News Monday that Pelosi’s office had extended the invitation for a meeting as they staged their second sit-in outside her office this month.

We look forward to meeting with Leader Pelosi and hope she joins her colleagues in supporting the Select Committee on a Green New Deal,” Stephen O'Hanlon, a spokesman with Sunrise, said in a statement to VICE News.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/3k9 ... her-office
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 03:01:51

dohboi wrote:
House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi offered a meeting to a group of young climate change activists the same day 61 people were arrested for demonstrating outside her office Monday

Thanks D, but that news is out of date.

Pelosi is now up to a grand total of 138 green protestors arrested today. (see my link above).

That must be some kind of record for pointless arrests in a Congress Critters office. I wonder why Pelosi didn't just meet with them in her office instead of having them all arrested first.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 11:20:08

Plantagenet wrote:
dohboi wrote:
House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi offered a meeting to a group of young climate change activists the same day 61 people were arrested for demonstrating outside her office Monday

Thanks D, but that news is out of date.

Pelosi is now up to a grand total of 138 green protestors arrested today. (see my link above).

That must be some kind of record for pointless arrests in a Congress Critters office. I wonder why Pelosi didn't just meet with them in her office instead of having them all arrested first.

Cheers!

The article doesn't say anything about Pelosi having those folks arrested, DID IT PLANTY?. Says the Capital Police arrested them, which is what they do for all illegal protests. In general, protesters goal is to GET ARRESTED so they get the publicity they seek.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 15:31:14

GHung wrote: the Capital Police arrested them, which is what they do for all illegal protests.

Why should a group of environmentalists asking Nancy Pelosi to support a carbon tax and other legislation about global climate change be deemed illegal?

IMHO, Nancy Pelosi should have met with the protestors and listened to their concerns about climate change, instead of having them arrested.

I don't think the mass arrest of over 130 green protestors in Pelosi's DC office is a good omen for the chances of getting a carbon tax through the D Congress when Nancy Pelosi takes over.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 7

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 07 Mar 2021, 12:24:25

It's too late for big oil's pivot to a carbon tax.

The American Petroleum Institute is considering endorsing a carbon price. That’s a big shift, but a carbon price alone is not good climate policy.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: THE Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Thread Pt. 7

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 08 Mar 2021, 20:44:54

AdamB wrote:It's too late for big oil's pivot to a carbon tax.

The American Petroleum Institute is considering endorsing a carbon price. That’s a big shift, but a carbon price alone is not good climate policy.

Sure, they can easily endorse a carbon tax with the a stipulation that it is a replacement tax for current taxes they already pay on fossil fuels. That way they can paint themselves green while not having to pass on a dime of additional taxes and angering their customers.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate