Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Good News from Fukushima

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Good News from Fukushima

Unread postby dissident » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 00:22:49

Even though they could have used air quality models (3D chemical composition and aerosols coupled to dynamics) to get a very good estimate of the fallout plume distributions, the authorities still followed the meathead approach of just imposing some ad hoc exclusion zone.

The issue is not fear of radiation. The issue is exposure and the Fukushima exclusion zone is mostly political BS. Japan was lucky (unlike Ukraine and Belorus) that most of its contamination was dumped into the Pacific Ocean.

Some clown mentioned above that "the solution to pollution is dilution". Typical moron small-think slogan. The problem is that in the real world there are processes which act to concentrate your pollution even if you dump it into the atmosphere or the ocean. Bio-accumulation is one such process. The tiny mercury (Hg) levels in sea water are amplified by thousands of times by the time we deal with fish like tuna. Dumping the radioactive strontium and cesium into the Pacific does not distribute it over the whole volume of the ocean. This contamination stays in the surface mixed layer and gets absorbed by the micro and macro biota. Of course some fraction gets mixed and advected into deeper waters, but this process is slow. Ocean chemical transport is not something that slogan-tards can grasp through their gut feelings. An actual education is needed.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 30 Apr 2018, 08:24:42

They're is also the issue of Biomagnification "the potential that these radioisotopes will be concentrated as they make their way up the food chain—what ecologists call biomagnification."
http://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature/how ... arine-life
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby dissident » Tue 01 May 2018, 20:04:33

onlooker wrote:They're is also the issue of Biomagnification "the potential that these radioisotopes will be concentrated as they make their way up the food chain—what ecologists call biomagnification."

That is what I posted above with the example of Hg. Cesium and Strontium have the propensity to accumulate in bones and other tissues of living organisms. In the case of fish there is progressive accumulation (biomagnification) as smaller fish are consumed by larger fish, just as with mercury.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 02 May 2018, 18:53:25

dissident wrote:
onlooker wrote:They're is also the issue of Biomagnification "the potential that these radioisotopes will be concentrated as they make their way up the food chain—what ecologists call biomagnification."

That is what I posted above with the example of Hg. Cesium and Strontium have the propensity to accumulate in bones and other tissues of living organisms. In the case of fish there is progressive accumulation (biomagnification) as smaller fish are consumed by larger fish, just as with mercury.

But for toothed fish like Tuna the Strontium bioaccumulates in the jaw and teeth which are normally discarded when the fish are processed and in the case of cesium you can eat lots of it with little effect because it is a Potassium analog chemically and the human body urinates it out over a period of a couple weeks as your system balances your potassium/sodium levels.

Mercury on the other hand accumulates in the flesh of the fish which people then eat and absorb and unlike the 'light' metal Cesium the Mercury will accumulate in your tissues unless you get a Chelation treatment to strip it out of your system.

If you discard the LNT model of exposure the Strontium you might absorb into your teeth and bones is far below the levels that might cause you actual harm. Grazing animals and their predators in the Chernobyl exclusion zone have accumulated much more strontium-90 in their teeth and bones than you would get from a steady fish diet from fish 'contaminated' by Fukushima and show no discernible health effects, in fact horses allowed to graze and accumulate Strontium-90 are then sold into the world horse market without issues.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 14 Jan 2021, 22:24:09

Only 30% of Fukushima residents happy with disaster recovery progress

SENDAI, Japan (Kyodo) -- Nearly 10 years after the 2011 earthquake-tsunami and nuclear disasters in northeastern Japan, only 30 percent of Fukushima Prefecture residents say reconstruction has been sufficient, a Kyodo News survey showed Thursday.

The figure was notably lower than 80 percent in Miyagi and 66 percent in Iwate prefectures, which were also affected by the natural disasters.

The low number in Fukushima reflects how the nuclear meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant and subsequent evacuation orders have slowed reconstruction work.

Face-to-face surveys were conducted in November involving 100 residents in each of the three prefectures to ask about reconstruction of the communities where they lived when the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami hit the region March 11, 2011.

A total of 176 people, or 59 percent, across the three prefectures said reconstruction was "progressing" or "progressing to some degree," while 123 people, or 41 percent, said there had not been enough progress. One person did not answer.

"My hometown is full of vacant plots of land," said a man in his 50s who evacuated from Futaba, which hosts the Fukushima Daiichi plant, to Iwaki in Fukushima Prefecture. "I cannot imagine the town becoming a place we can return to."

Many respondents appreciated the rebuilding of infrastructure, but some said it has taken too much time. Among Fukushima residents unhappy with the reconstruction progress, many said they are disappointed that they are still not allowed to return to their hometowns due to radioactive contamination and that townscapes have not been restored.

Across the three prefectures, 66 percent said their lives were back on track as they were able either to move to public housing for disaster victims or build new homes. By prefecture, the rate was 80 percent in Miyagi and 70 percent in Iwate but significantly lower at 49 percent in Fukushima.

The cost of rebuilding homes and a decrease in income have also been a burden for residents.

"To reconstruct my house, I needed to get another loan (in addition to that for the home destroyed by the disaster). I won't finish the payments until I'm 80 years old," said Toshiyuki Naganuma, 58, who runs a construction firm in Natori, Miyagi Prefecture.

The local government in Natori declared the completion of the city's recovery in March 2020. More houses have been built and tourists are returning. But Naganuma said that while "it may look like the city has recovered, reconstruction is not finished."

"Jobs are still gone. My income is unstable," said a man in his 40s who changed jobs three times after the disasters. He used to work at a restaurant in Rikuzentakata, Iwate, but sales dropped when construction workers and others engaged in work to rebuild the city left.

Yukihisa Ojima, 49, who operates a home appliance store in Rikuzentakata, worries about the city's declining population. "Public facilities were rebuilt but things are slack for businesses here," he said.

For those affected by the disasters, recovery means "getting back one's life before the disasters," said Jun Oyane, a professor at Senshu University and head of the Japan Society for Disaster Recovery and Revitalization.

"The next step after restoring infrastructure will be to focus on the varying needs of individual residents and to stand by them in rebuilding" their lives, he said.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/054000c
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 27 Jul 2022, 00:41:53

UN Scientific Committee Says No Health Effects Were Recognized Due to Radiation Exposure in 2011 Accident at Fukushima Daiichi

UN Scientific Committee Says No Health Effects Were Recognized Due to Radiation Exposure in 2011 Accident at Fukushima Daiichi

On July 19, three members of the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) met the press at the Japan National Press Club, where they presented again their reinforced conclusion that no adverse health effects from radiation exposure had been recognized stemming from the 2011 accident at the Fukushima Daiichi.

Many eminent experts around the world, including those from the field of radiology, participated in the analyses and compilation of a report based on over 500 scientific papers and investigations. Based on detailed evaluations of residents’ evacuation routes, etc., the report found that exposure dose was initially overestimated, and concluded that health implications, including cancer due to radiation exposure, were unlikely.

Because of the number of independent experts involved in the investigations based on the latest data, it was emphasized that the conclusion was unlikely to change substantially in the future.

Dr. Gillian HIRTH, past chair of the committee, presented the conclusion that “future cancer rates that could be inferred from radiation exposure from this accident are unlikely to be discernible.” An increase in children’s thyroid cancer in the area after the accident was attributed to “extensive, ultra sensitive screening.”

The members then held meetings with residents, students and scientists in Fukushima City on July 20, in Iwaki City, Minamisoma City and Naraha Town on July 21, and in Tokyo on July 22.

LINK
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 27 Jul 2022, 08:45:41

Tanada,

I a surprised at this finding. I admit I was caught up in the hysteria of the time.l and a bit embarrassed if my reactions.

Maybe Germany and the USA can now come to their senses.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 27 Jul 2022, 12:26:30

Newfie wrote:Tanada,

I a surprised at this finding. I admit I was caught up in the hysteria of the time.l and a bit embarrassed if my reactions.

Maybe Germany and the USA can now come to their senses.

One can certainly hope so, however there is 70 years of social programming from Godzilla to The Incredible Hulk to the Chernobyl drama series masquerading as a documentary telling people that tiny radiation doses are deadly or will make their future children mutants and not in the X-men kind of way.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Wed 27 Jul 2022, 22:22:29

A government controlled scientific community, yeah right.

6000% Increase in Cancer Rates at Fukushima Site
by Christina Sarich
Posted on February 6, 2015
Updated on December 15, 2021

Here we have people actually willing to put their names on the line, not some faceless nameless committee

As reports from individuals like Chieko Shiina, a supporter of the Fukushima Collaborateive Clinic talk about exploding rates of thyroid cancer in children, as well as an epidemic of leukemia, heart attacks, and other health problems, the Abe-led government and US continue to sweep the fall out of the Fukushima disaster under the rug.

Cancer rates have exploded at an increase of almost 6000% in areas near the reactor meltdown. Aside from people-on-the-street interviews that a rare media outlet like “Hodo station” will report on, mainstream media stays completely silent. One Japanese resident, Carol Hisasue, laments that as the incident has disappeared from the media, it has also disappeared from people’s consciousness.

https://naturalsociety.com/6000-increas ... hima-site/

Cancer patients seek damages from Fukushima nuclear plant

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireS ... t-84990964

July 22, 2022
Japan releases Fukushima contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2022/07 ... fic-ocean/

Well why not. It's harmless after all isn't it? No wonder the UN came out with its report, can't stand in the way of Big Business can we.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 28 Jul 2022, 12:22:07

theluckycountry wrote:A government controlled scientific community, yeah right.

6000% Increase in Cancer Rates at Fukushima Site
by Christina Sarich
Posted on February 6, 2015
Updated on December 15, 2021

Here we have people actually willing to put their names on the line, not some faceless nameless committee

As reports from individuals like Chieko Shiina, a supporter of the Fukushima Collaborateive Clinic talk about exploding rates of thyroid cancer in children, as well as an epidemic of leukemia, heart attacks, and other health problems, the Abe-led government and US continue to sweep the fall out of the Fukushima disaster under the rug.

Cancer rates have exploded at an increase of almost 6000% in areas near the reactor meltdown. Aside from people-on-the-street interviews that a rare media outlet like “Hodo station” will report on, mainstream media stays completely silent. One Japanese resident, Carol Hisasue, laments that as the incident has disappeared from the media, it has also disappeared from people’s consciousness.

https://naturalsociety.com/6000-increas ... hima-site/

Cancer patients seek damages from Fukushima nuclear plant

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireS ... t-84990964

July 22, 2022
Japan releases Fukushima contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2022/07 ... fic-ocean/

Well why not. It's harmless after all isn't it? No wonder the UN came out with its report, can't stand in the way of Big Business can we.

Sure, lets ignore the epidemiologists who know there was this Tsunami event that dumped and stirred billions of liters of chemicals all through the zone of effect. In addition lets ignore that no radio-iodine was released by the four damaged reactors and just declare that everyone who is aware of what happened in reality is lying and therefore the politically motivated news reporter must MUST be wearing a golden halo and be speaking "truth to power".

Anyone who knows anything about science knows you use terminology like "a 6000 percent increase" when you do not want to use actual concrete numbers. If the before Tsunami cancer rate was 1 person every year on average and the toxic brew of chemicals and emotional stress has caused 60 people to be diagnosed with cancer then saying "6000 percent increase" is way scarier than saying "Over the last decade 5 extra people a year have been diagnosed with cancer".

Given the emotional stress, loss of livelihood and toxic brew coupled with increased medical scans because of fear stoked by the media I would be shocked if the data did not show a bump in death rates from all causes a year after the Tsunami. Couple that with the government refusing to let people back into the exclusion zone for political rather than scientific reasons and you just ramp up the emotional stress and sense of loss in the population, especially the elderly.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 24 Aug 2023, 10:56:44

News

Fukushima water is now being dumped into the Pacific. I don't know whether this is a nothing-burger or not, but it sure is being hammered on by China about how irresponsible it is.

What yall think, physically a good call or three eyed fish coming to a plate near you! lol.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 24 Aug 2023, 20:50:32

AgentR11 wrote:News

Fukushima water is now being dumped into the Pacific. I don't know whether this is a nothing-burger or not, but it sure is being hammered on by China about how irresponsible it is.

What yall think, physically a good call or three eyed fish coming to a plate near you! lol.

It is absolutely a nothing burger being hyped by China to 1) Harass Japan whom they still have a grudge against for the 1932-45 war. 2) Distract the media from the fact that Chinese powerplants like everyone else routinely release tritiated water into the environment. It is harmless unless the concentration is absurdly high at which point they would be capturing and selling it not letting it escape with waste water. The thing is while Tritium is a high value product the cost of separating such tiny concentrations from natural light water are much higher than that value. IOW sure they could in theory separate out the Tritium but the risk is non-existant and the expense is ridiculously high so dumping it makes a trillion times more sense than separation.

There is more Uranium in a granite countertop by mass than there is tritium in an equal mass of this waste water and you don't see people freaking out about eating off granite countertops. This is pure media driven hype.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AgentR11 » Thu 24 Aug 2023, 23:09:23

Not surprising I suppose, it'll be a long, long time before China gets over their WWII experience.
Yes we are, as we are,
And so shall we remain,
Until the end.
AgentR11
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 25 Aug 2023, 00:27:59

AgentR11 wrote:Not surprising I suppose, it'll be a long, long time before China gets over their WWII experience.

I met a Canadian online years ago who claimed he should get reparations because the War of 1812 invasion by USA adversely affected his ancestors. People can always find a reason for a grudge if they want to look hard enough.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 25 Aug 2023, 11:42:45

Tanada wrote: It is harmless unless the concentration is absurdly high at which point they would be capturing and selling it not letting it escape with waste water.

Then why don't the Japanese drink it, or irrigate their crops with it? And why was it captured and put in drums in the first place?
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 25 Aug 2023, 16:47:16

theluckycountry wrote:
Tanada wrote: It is harmless unless the concentration is absurdly high at which point they would be capturing and selling it not letting it escape with waste water.

Then why don't the Japanese drink it, or irrigate their crops with it? And why was it captured and put in drums in the first place?

Given that it is salty sea water used to flood the system both via the tsunami and during the peak cooling phase as an emergency matter drinking it would kill you from salt concentration and it would kill any crops you irrigated it with for the same reason. For someone who claims to be so well informed why do you not know this?
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby theluckycountry » Fri 25 Aug 2023, 18:06:58

Tanada wrote: For someone who claims to be so well informed why do you not know this?

When did I ever claim to be well informed? But you know I was being facetious in my comments, I really don't have a dog in the fight when it comes to what you lot do up there in the northern hemisphere. It's just one more case of using the ocean as a garbage bin. Between 1946 and 1958, the United States conducted 67 nuclear tests in the Marshall Islands alone, over a 1000 tests all up, many on US soil. So from your perspective it's no big deal.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Asia Discussion