Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Brexit

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: Brexit

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 27 Aug 2020, 15:09:11

sparky wrote:.
the haggling over Fishing rights is one of those dummies issues
not that it's fake but any opposition could be solved if other more important subjects could be agreed
like .....British banks status in the EU , or the UK payments dues ...you get the picture
up holding the pride and joy of British fishermen is only a presentable reason which can be invoked for any failure in the talks
or alternatively as a price worth paying for a good outcome (to someone else)
the truth is the British government is driving the talks to a quarter to midnight situation
they are certain that the EU team will bend and they are consciously wasting time
to maximize the negotiation value of an agreement and squeeze some extra concessions

But the British NEED good outcomes far more than the rest of the EU, so I hope for the British peoples' sakes that they don't get too cute and push it too far and end up with nothing, or having to take a much WORSE deal on the rest of the EU's terms.

Not that I'd expect politicians anywhere to be reasonable or admit when/where they screwed up.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dolanbaker » Thu 24 Dec 2020, 12:11:29

Finally, the deal is done and there will not be a "no deal" crash out!

A "Canada+" deal has been agreed, whatever that is.

Still needs to be ratified by all sides though.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 24 Dec 2020, 15:18:20

dolanbaker wrote:Finally, the deal is done and there will not be a "no deal" crash out!

A "Canada+" deal has been agreed, whatever that is.

Still needs to be ratified by all sides though.

Yeah, when I saw the deal announced but not ratified, I wondered what the odds are that actually happens, given what has transpired so far.

It would certainly be nice to avoid the worst "no deal" case, of course.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 24 Dec 2020, 20:47:39

Congrats to the UK and the EU for coming up with a Brexit deal.

Canada+ sounds like the UK will get a better deal then Canada.....and thats exactly what the pro-Brexit campaign promised back when the Brexit vote was held.

Hoo-RAY for the BRITS!!!! They've done it again!!! Once again they've won out against impossible odds! Hip Hip HOORAY!!!!!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 24 Dec 2020, 20:54:24

This is good news, I guess. I always thought that a no deal Brexit was the most likely outcome. All those politicians in the UK and EU proved me wrong. Good for them! I wish the best to all the people of the EU and UK.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby FLAMEOUT » Sat 26 Dec 2020, 05:53:52

Most folks I have spoken to are more or less happy we have a deal, as I am and I voted out.

It really is Freedom, the Eurocrats are getting worse than Soviet Russia was daily. Its a one member club, Germany, the French are just poodles and the rest just do as they are told. Is this democracy ?

It will be ratified, on the EU side, Merkel will make sure of that (Democracy EU style !!!!!!!). On our side Labour will not oppose it either.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ithin-days

There has been give and take on both sides, nobody gets everything they want. Devil is in the detail of course, but over here we have this Covid to deal with (as we all have) and 60 odd million to Jab.

As to Ireland, if the North wishes to join the South, let the people vote. Same with Scotland also, of no interest to me (and I live not too far from the border). The English can survive and prosper without Scotland - But can Scotland do vice versa

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... shing-cebr

As to the USA - Good luck with Irish Joe. No friend of ours, I'll give him a year.

My very best wishes to All American People (our true friends - well most of them !!). Look after yourselves and good luck in 2021.
FLAMEOUT
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 26 Dec 2020, 15:26:45

FLAMEOUT wrote:As to the USA - Good luck with Irish Joe. No friend of ours, I'll give him a year.

My very best wishes to All American People (our true friends - well most of them !!). Look after yourselves and good luck in 2021.

I agree with your post overall, but am puzzled re the Biden reference?

So who do you think was your friend? Trump? Sanders? Warren? Someone from the right wing (and if too far right, they're apparently becoming unelectable, the way US politics is drifting).

I think most Americans are pulling for Great Britian, and perhaps are as perplexed over the complexities / decisions of Brexit as most of Western Europe is at how BADLY the US handled Covid-19 (and perhaps will continue to, depending on how much the anti-vaxxer movement fouls up herd immunity for the US overall).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 27 Dec 2020, 00:08:38

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I think most ...are ... perplexed at how BADLY the US handled Covid-19

Even more perplexing is how badly Europe has handled the covid virus.

The current covid death toll in Europe is about 480,000----i.e. over 50% HIGHER then the death toll in the USA.

coronavirus-deaths-timeline-in-the-eu

Clearly its time to stop pointing the finger at this country or that politician and pretending they are to blame for the severity of the covid pandemic, when the reality is that covid has been an equal opportunity killer in countries in virtually all parts of the world.

And there's a fair chance things are going to get even worse.....the newest mutant varieties of COVID in the UK and South Africa are much more infectious then the initial version that appeared in Wuhan China in late 2019, and as the more highly transmissable mutated viruses continue to spread to country after country then the death toll will probably go much much higher.

knock knock....who's there......covid mutation.......mutation who.......now you got yourself a serious covid mutation situation

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby FLAMEOUT » Sun 27 Dec 2020, 06:19:22

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
FLAMEOUT wrote:As to the USA - Good luck with Irish Joe. No friend of ours, I'll give him a year.

I agree with your post overall, but am puzzled re the Biden reference?

So who do you think was your friend? Trump? Sanders? Warren? Someone from the right wing (and if too far right, they're apparently becoming unelectable, the way US politics is drifting).

I think most Americans are pulling for Great Britian, and perhaps are as perplexed over the complexities / decisions of Brexit as most of Western Europe is at how BADLY the US handled Covid-19 (and perhaps will continue to, depending on how much the anti-vaxxer movement fouls up herd immunity for the US overall).

This is how the tactless old fart handled a BBC reporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67lP1V5SItU

Disgusting.
FLAMEOUT
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 27 Dec 2020, 10:43:11

FLAMEOUT wrote:This is how the tactless old fart handled a BBC reporter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67lP1V5SItU

Disgusting.

Wow. If your feelings are hurt so bad by something so innocuous, you should likely see a mental health professional. Or just learn to chill. Do you actually LISTEN to what goes on in politics in the real world, EVERY DAY?

And here I was thinking you had found something where Biden acts as bad as Trump one time, or something. :idea:
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby FLAMEOUT » Thu 31 Dec 2020, 07:27:17

The UK - EU deal was agreed by all the EU countries, and subsequently passed through both UK houses yesterday and received the royal assent earlier today, 31 Dec 2020.

The UK left the EU on 31 Jan 2020, and was in transition until 11pm (GMT) on the 31 Dec 2020, still under EU law till the deadline.

We have a deal, not perfect but acceptable, and most importantly it gives the UK back it's sovereignty. We now make our own laws (again) and are free to trade with both Europe (under the deal) and the rest of the world. The UK has already signed trade deals with many countries and more are to follow.

The arguing over the EU is now over. Well done to Boris Johnson & his team.

Happy New Year to all.
FLAMEOUT
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Europe Discussion