Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

strange happenings

Having trouble? Is the forum having trouble?

Moderator: admin

strange happenings

Unread postby Pops » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 09:34:31

Strange stuff happening.

As I move from page to page, the system periodically logs me out

A post I made yesterday in "peak oil 2020" doesn't show up when I go to that thread from search—but does when I go there from my profile, "show user posts"

I just read a couple of posts there from Dennis and Tanada but when I go back they are again "gone"

I thought it might be just a delay in Cloudflare updating but not staying logged in is new, the posts showing and then not though is a new one too.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Re: strange happenings

Unread postby Pops » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 09:52:50

and the stock search, Members, doesn't show anything after Wednesday at 10:23 am

"Guest View" I can't get to because the system logs me out then tells me I am not permitted—although that search is made for guests who don't log in, LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 10:29:40

Pops wrote:Strange stuff happening.

As I move from page to page, the system periodically logs me out

A post I made yesterday in "peak oil 2020" doesn't show up when I go to that thread from search—but does when I go there from my profile, "show user posts"

I just read a couple of posts there from Dennis and Tanada but when I go back they are again "gone"

I thought it might be just a delay in Cloudflare updating but not staying logged in is new, the posts showing and then not though is a new one too.

I got all those problems plus on, when I opened this message the system claimed I was logged in under user name "Pops" but when I clicked on quote message to reply it went back to being my correct user name. What the heck is going on? I am computer ignorant, I just hit the buttons and hope for the best so I got no idea whats happening here.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 10:59:42

Deep state
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 13:11:06

I am not experiencing any problems so far. I am logged in using an old iPad 2.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 14:34:50

Yesterday the active topics weren't showing up right (they were a half day or a day prior). I also noticed I was logged in as Tanada and had administrator rights! Anyway, I logged out and logged back in under my username and everything seems to be as it should now.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 16:20:25

Not a clue. I have not experienced theses issues.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Fri 18 Dec 2020, 11:14:21

Unexplained log outs and thread/search results missing recent posts (including my own) persist.
Stranger still, I can see posts below the reply window (topic review pane) that I can't anywhere else.
Guest view search works, at least to about 6 hours ago @ 3am Fri
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Sun 20 Dec 2020, 08:59:15

strange happenings continue

I notice that the time stamp on the index page, "PO Forums" in the sidebar reads
It is currently Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:07 pm
In reality it is Sunday morning at 6a — the results on that page haven't changed since this problem started on Wednesday.
Ditto viewing the subforums individually,

Using the "Guest View" search default (view active topics) the last post shows Friday 3:58p

My current work around: When on the "Guest View" results I change "Display posts from previous:" from the default 7 days, to one day or all results, or any other choice, the latest post I get is this current, even showing a post I just made! wooha!

Also I can't get to my user control panel,when I click the link the system logs me out, takes me to the log in page, then when I log in I'm sent to the Index page.

Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 20 Dec 2020, 11:12:13

Pops wrote:strange happenings continue

I notice that the time stamp on the index page, "PO Forums" in the sidebar reads
It is currently Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:07 pm
In reality it is Sunday morning at 6a — the results on that page haven't changed since this problem started on Wednesday.
Ditto viewing the subforums individually,

Using the "Guest View" search default (view active topics) the last post shows Friday 3:58p

My current work around: When on the "Guest View" results I change "Display posts from previous:" from the default 7 days, to one day or all results, or any other choice, the latest post I get is this current, even showing a post I just made! wooha!

Also I can't get to my user control panel,when I click the link the system logs me out, takes me to the log in page, then when I log in I'm sent to the Index page.

I am still having multiple issues as well. What seems to work best for me is following links the system emails me to see new responses in threads I am already following. After that for a few minutes the stem acts sort of normal and it lets me switch using the bottom page menu from forum to forum sometimes, but not always. I even tried the built in view links I put in the pre set search option message at the top of each forum alternative-pre-set-search-options-t72964.html and sometimes those work, and sometimes they don't. Pops did you get the reply to the email you sent me? I have not heard back from Dan and it is becoming concerning.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pops » Sun 20 Dec 2020, 18:02:59

Tanada wrote:Pops did you get the reply to the email you sent me? I have not heard back from Dan and it is becoming concerning.

I did, I'll forward the email I have for him in case it is different.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Mon 21 Dec 2020, 20:00:13

This is Pops, now I can't post, the system logs me out on "submit" —maybe this will go through as Guest.

I'll check back sometime
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby dcoyne78 » Sun 27 Dec 2020, 16:17:56

Pops,

For what it is worth I am having many of the same problems. The site is almost becoming unusable.

You guys need some tech support, there's gremlins for sure.
dcoyne78
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 27 Dec 2020, 20:46:02

So far I am not seeing any issues.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dcoyne78 » Tue 29 Dec 2020, 10:43:54

Newfie,

Maybe not a problem for moderator. Try creating a "normal" user account and see if everything still works, right now the forum is nearly unusable. If someone wants to monetize this, a poorly working forum is not the best strategy, imo.
dcoyne78
Coal
Coal

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 29 Dec 2020, 12:36:44

I still haven't experienced any problems. I am using the Safari web browser on an old iPad 2. Just throwing this in case it might help tech support.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 29 Dec 2020, 22:38:34

Newfie wrote:So far I am not seeing any issues.

While working at IBM, if I'd rejected customer reported problems as "not seeing any issues", when working as the team leader for a large DB2 systems support shop, that surely would have led to me being FIRED, if I'd persisted in that as my approach.

Have you looked at the logs? Have you done searches for similar problems, etc? Looked for problems re system crashes or dumps?

FWIW, I personally have not noticed any of the reported problems when reading or posing messages on my account, just in case that helps narrow things down. I haven't logged off in a long time, in case that matters.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Pops » Wed 30 Dec 2020, 09:25:44

My PO problems persist, Tanada's suggestion to use New Posts does appear to get current results. It doesn't help the posting log-out problem tho, I've wanted to make bad predictions on Carenke's thread but there isn't even a reply button when I go there, LOL.

Dan, I almost wonder if it isn't a problem with cloudflare as only some users are affected (Tanada and I may be on the same cloudflare server and perhaps newfie a different one?),
guest search results are from last Friday (a cached result on "my" server?)
the log-out problem could be something supposed to "pass-through" the to the server but doesn't...
Maybe a forced update to cloudflare?

Dunno but I have tried tossing my cookies and cache upteen times, tried Chrome, Safari, Firefox on 3 devices, used the "Delete cookies" link at the bottom of some PO pages, adjusted my privacy settings, and yes, rebooted.

Still I am randomly logged out and in as Pops or someone else, my search results from the sidebar links are from a week ago for "member" and last Friday for "guest" — that is when I happen to be logged in when results come up.

Not the worst I've seen but discouraging for the non-addicted I'm sure
Last edited by Tanada on Wed 30 Dec 2020, 10:43:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted link for NEW POSTS
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 31 Dec 2020, 22:58:39

I found a workaround to these problems. Just append "?1" to the url you are on. For example: If you want to do a custom search such as the "Search" link on the left or the "Advanced Search" on top, append "?1" to the end of the search URL.

Ex: If I try to do a search at this URL I get an error I am not permitted to do that:
https://peakoil.com/forums/search.php

But with this I can do searches no problem:
https://peakoil.com/forums/search.php?1

You can do the same thing with the other links. This link gives me old posts and has me logged in as Pops:
https://peakoil.com/forums/unreadposts.html

This link gives me the latest posts and has me logged in as myself:
https://peakoil.com/forums/unreadposts.html?1

Any text after the question mark bypasses these issues, for me anyway.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby kublikhan » Thu 31 Dec 2020, 23:46:27

Here's my workaround with a few popular board links:

Active Topics
Search
Forum Posts Member View

I also made a bookmark you can click to fix any URL you are on. I tested the bookmark in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge and they all worked fine:
1. Open up the following link: Bookmark URL
2. Copy the text on that page.
3. Bookmark any random page. I put the bookmark on my bookmark bar for easy access.
4. Set the name to: Fix Peakoil.com
5. Set the URL to the text you copied earlier.
6. Save the bookmark.

Now whenever any Peakoil.com page looks messed up click the bookmark "Fix Peakoil.com" and it will be fixed.
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Next

Return to Technical Support