Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Re: COP 25 Cancelled.

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 12:59:33

News just out. COP25 will held in Madrid, Spain.

Makes sense......Spain in winter is sunny and delightful and the food is great.

Now it looks like Greta will be sailing aback across the Atlantic soon.

Welcome to Spain, Greta.....we are so happy you are coming to visit us....

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 14:03:50

Plantagenet wrote:Now it looks like Greta will be sailing aback across the Atlantic soon.

So still wasting fossil fuels (net, with the boat transport crew, etc) to try to make some point instead of just flying? How genuine of her.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 01 Nov 2019, 14:42:49

Revi wrote:I agree. We need some kind of international accord with some kind of binding resolution to actually cut greenhouse gas emissions or it's all a fiction. I wonder if all those countries are relieved because they can continue pretending now for the foreseeable future?

This is the point Revi I was making on the Impeachment thread. Everyone is secretly relieved we have incompetent politicians and failed international accords because then everyone can not only continue to pretend into the foreseeable future but they also have someone to blame.......

Convenient.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 02 Nov 2019, 09:54:40

Ibon wrote:This is the point Revi I was making on the Impeachment thread. Everyone is secretly relieved we have incompetent politicians and failed international accords because then everyone can not only continue to pretend into the foreseeable future but they also have someone to blame.......

Convenient.

That is just human nature at work. It is also the reason I concluded several years ago we will do zero effective work to prevent massive climate change. Those who see this should do whatever they can to adapt to a warmer future rather than wringing our hands at the futility of humans acting like humans.

In another way it is why we won't do a darn thing about Peak Oil until it really bites us where the sun don't shine and gets our attention. This is why I have always been a moderate on the oil issue because I expect humans to suffer much unneeded pain, wail and gnash their teeth, then muddle on through like usual.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 02 Nov 2019, 10:10:24

Tanada wrote:That is just human nature at work. It is also the reason I concluded several years ago we will do zero effective work to prevent massive climate change. Those who see this should do whatever they can to adapt to a warmer future rather than wringing our hands at the futility of humans acting like humans.

I am expecting chaotic launching of some haphazard geoengineering pojects once it is obviously too hot and for example India is on the brink of becoming uninhabitable etc.
So they will paint all the roofs and motorways white and liberals will call it racist.
They will pump millions of tons of seawater into stratosphere and by the same induce new round of ozone depletion due to halogen compounds present there (Br and I particular as these are prone to halogen radical liberation by photolysis).
The chemtrails will be a real feature, not just conspiracy etc. They will pump millions of tons of SO2 to stratosphere to produce sulfate aerosols and horrible acid rains as a by show.
They will do a lot of things and it wil not work as intended, so they will fail.
But maybe they will postpone climatocalypse by 2-3 decades, if lucky.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Sys1 » Sun 03 Nov 2019, 11:01:38

After COP 21 in Paris and all the tremendous comments heard and read in mainstream medias, average people thought that climate change was almost solved, like a bad story behind us, so no more reason to be worried, back to consumption!
It's all about that, pretending we are still able to do something to address climate change, and more than that, claim to the world that economy will grow more than ever during the process and beyond.
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 03 Nov 2019, 13:20:51

Sys1 wrote:After COP 21 in Paris and all the tremendous comments heard and read in mainstream medias, average people thought that climate change was almost solved, like a bad story behind us, so no more reason to be worried, back to consumption!
It's all about that, pretending we are still able to do something to address climate change, and more than that, claim to the world that economy will grow more than ever during the process and beyond.

Exactly right.

The Paris Accords were a total sham, that set the UN Climate Change Treaty Process back 20 years. Its just a repeat of the voluntary Kyoto Accords....and those didn't work. Now the world is going to waste 20 years more before doing anything real about climate change, all because the politicians sold us down the river with the phony Paris Accords.

Thats why Greta is so great. She gets it. She's about the only public figure out there holding the UN accountable for doing nothing.

Spain just released a statement that they will help Greta get to COP 25 in Madrid. No word yet on what kind of carbon-free transport Greta will take back across the Atlantic. Maybe Spain will send the Armada....

No one expects the Spanish Armada!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 09:01:56

It's fun watching Greta's progress anyway. We'll see what happens, but she has at least gotten the world to pay about a minute's worth of attention, which no other climate change activist has so far. Bill McKibben and Al Gore tried, but Greta is still barely in the news cycle, and maybe will continue to be for a little while.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 09:29:39

Plantagenet wrote:Spain just released a statement that they will help Greta get to COP 25 in Madrid. No word yet on what kind of carbon-free transport Greta will take back across the Atlantic. Maybe Spain will send the Armada....

I would be nice if Greta have demanded for such meetings to be run in form of videoconferences.
In current form they are tramendous waste of money and also a cause of huge emission of GHG.
All this travelling on conferences is of no use in face of possibilities offered by current tech.
The only travel needed should be one necessary to sign final accords.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 15:05:11

Great idea! Greta has to get to Madrid somehow. Maybe the Spanish sail training vessel could take her. I saw it in Puerto Rico about 10 years ago. It would be a lot more comfortable than the way she got across the Atlantic last time!

https://www.thelocal.es/20191104/spain- ... -in-madrid

Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 04 Nov 2019, 19:06:31

EnergyUnlimited wrote:I would be nice if Greta have demanded for such meetings to be run in form of videoconferences.
In current form they are tramendous waste of money and also a cause of huge emission of GHG.
All this travelling on conferences is of no use in face of possibilities offered by current tech.
The only travel needed should be one necessary to sign final accords.

Well of course that is true, but a big part of the fun of working for the government is the free travel you get when you get sent on one of these boondoggles.

I've been in the university world mostly, but I also sometimes got government grants and funds for travel. I was even one of the official US "science" delegates to an earlier COP some years ago. I went to the official COP science meeting on official US government free travel plus per diem .....and then stayed another two weeks traveling around Europe on my own nickel. Wound up camping on a beach on a little little island in the North Sea in the northern Netherlands. Had a WONDERFUL TIME.

No one in the government or even in the non-governmental agencies is ever going to agree not to travel to these meetings. From the US President on down to the lowliest aide, they are too IMPORTANT not to travel at every opportunity to every country and every meeting, don't you see.

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 11:52:37

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 13:34:43

asg70 wrote:More reason for Plant to celebrate.

I don't celebrate Trump pulling the US out of the Paris Accords but I'm not going to pretend I'm a big fan of the Paris Accords either.

The Paris Climate Accords are a sham. They have had no effect either on greenhouse gas emissions or on global warming. The Paris Accords are just a newer version of the Kyoto Accords which was also based on voluntary commitments. The Kyoto Accords failed. Now we're doing the same thing again and thats dumb. What the world needs is to abandon the voluntary Paris Accords and move on to some kind of mandatory UN treaty that requires greenhouse gas emissions reductions as soon as possible.

Unfortunately the Paris Accords expire in 2030, so the world is probably locked into the phony sham Paris Accords until then.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 16:16:23

Plantagenet wrote:The Paris Climate Accords are a sham

Spoken like a true climate activist.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Revi » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 12:11:27

Well, then what will the COP 25 do? Will the rest of the world move on without us? We'll see...
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 15:15:24

I guess Greta has a ride on a catamaran, and may make it by the conference after all.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/77886290 ... conference
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: International Climate Negotiations Pt. 3

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 16 Dec 2020, 11:25:20

This short video will tell you everything you need to know about why international agreements must include ALL nations at the same time. No grandfather clauses or grace periods unless equally applied across the globe.

https://youtu.be/9-LUPho8Vf4
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 16 Dec 2020, 16:53:46

Ibon wrote:
Newfie wrote:It would seem the entertainment consists of hurling insults at one another.

Funny how these discussions here at our resort among our guests when they rarely do happen are always civil.

If anyone comes to this site for much of anything beyond entertainment then one must then reflect on the social dificiencies one is sufferin in their organic social life that they come expecting something more.

Is it really such a bad thing to want to LEARN something? When I initially came here in 2008 (as I recall), it was to learn something about oil. And I have, via folks like rockdoc and rockman and some others who were patient enough to explain things in layman's terms to people like me who are HONEST enough to freely admit I'm a layman (earning a living in the mainframe computer geek business, and not oil).

Now, I'll have to admit, hanging around here for 12+ years AFTER seeing the sad evidence of the signal to BS ratio, yeah, much of that is for the entertainment. So guilty as charged on that (again, being willing to be honest, unlike many with an agenda of spreading pure FUD on the internet).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 16 Dec 2020, 22:19:54

Tanada wrote:This short video will tell you everything you need to know about why international agreements must include ALL nations at the same time. No grandfather clauses or grace periods unless equally applied across the globe.

https://youtu.be/9-LUPho8Vf4

I recommend people take five minutes and watch the great video that Tanada has linked to. Those people who say they want to learn and see data and more facts in posts....here it is. This video is pure data...just the facts are presented.

To increase your understanding of this video I suggest that you pay close attention to what happens to CO2 emissions in the USSR after 1991, when the USSR collapses.

Also take a note of what happens to CO2 emissions in China after 1997 when the Kyoto Accords are signed, in which the USA and EU and Japan voluntarily agreed to limit their CO2 emissions while granting China an exemption and granting them the freedom to increase their CO2 emissions without limit.

Then consider the fact that the 2016 Paris Accords repeated the exact same idiotic mistake as the Kyoto Accords, i.e. the US, EU and Japan agreed to voluntarily reduce their CO2 emissions in the Paris Accords, while granting China and also India exemptions and giving them the freedom to increase their CO2 emissions without limit.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ralfy » Thu 17 Dec 2020, 00:52:59

Also, CO2 emissions per capita:

https://ourworldindata.org/per-capita-co2
ralfy