Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: Optimum Population

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 17 Sep 2019, 14:47:40

I’ve read a couple of Sapolski’s books. I can see how you get your interpretation from that video, but it represents a small portion of his thinking.

Sapolski is noting if not ambivalent about what we should do with our knowledge. He is always hedging his statements and saying how you can’t make generalizations.

Remember that he was studying stress and his comments are about stress. What he is essentially saying is we would be better off in a less stressful world, not that one should kill off Alpha males. If that’s what one takes from it then that is a mistake.

It’s hard to see how anyone could reasonably argue against a less stressful world. Not “stress free” but less than what we have.

Making aggressive and oppositional arguments is a great example of how stress addicted Alpha makes deal with one another.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huffpo ... 689123/amp
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 20 Dec 2019, 21:13:03

World's Population to Hit 7.75 Billion in 2019

https://dw.com/en/worlds-population-to- ... a-51758905

The alarming increase is the estimate from a German foundation that monitors populations. It also suggests the 8 billion mark will be reached in the year 2023.

The estimate gauges that the world's population will have increased by 83 million since January 1 2019, which equates to roughly the number of inhabitants in Germany.

The globe's population is increasing at the rate of 156 every minute and Germany's Foundation for World Population (DSW) predict the 8 billion mark will be surpassed within four years.

The foundation also predicts that Africa's population will double over the next 20 years. An African mother bears 4.4 children on average compared to the global average of 2.4.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 21 Dec 2019, 08:20:35

Thanks for posting.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby longpig » Wed 26 Feb 2020, 05:38:31

NIGERIA'S POPULATION GROWTH IS BECOMING A LIABILITY
370 views•24 Feb 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAQOhTfRXI

Please do not use hate speech, racial slurs, profanity, pejoratives,
etc. in comments. Let's keep this channel a safe space where sane people can engage in conversation.

A government leader in Nigeria says his nation's growing population is more of a liability than an asset, reports say.

Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, vice-president of Nigeria, seems to think the third-world nation's economy isn't keeping pace with its population growth. “Clearly this population size will be more of a burden than an asset, unless there is an appropriate and commensurate growth in the economy to take care of the growing population,” he reportedly said.

Nigeria's population is expected to double by 2050, reports say. An estimated 402 million Nigerians will be crammed into the nation's 356,667 mi². That's more people than the current population of the USA in an area that is roughly the same size as Texas with its population of about 25 million.

Surrounding black nations are growing at about the same rate.

To blame, in part, is Western innovation that provides food production, healthcare, and disease control technologies to third world nations.

Oddly, Western nations welcome sub-Saharan Africans as if they were assets. What's more, Western governments have a history of underwriting the failed economies of third-world countries with massive support.

What's more, advocates of the man-made climate change cult invariably condemn Western nations for unrestrained population growth while ignoring the runaway surge in sub-Saharan African nations. One could get the idea that globalist Marxism actually prefers the world to be overrun by Africans.

The average IQ in Nigeria is 84. That's significantly higher than surrounding African nations, but substantially lower than the average IQ of 100 for ethnic white populations.

According to voanews.com ▼

Nigeria has the largest population in Africa, and it is growing at 3.2% a year. The U.S. Census Bureau says that at that rate, there will be an estimated 402 million people in Nigeria in 2050.

The major triggers for population increase include early marriages, high birth rates and lack of family planning access. But cultural and religious contributors are also impacting significantly.

Family planning activists such as Ejike Orji worry about uncontrolled population growth.

“The number of people we are producing every year is faster than our developmental rate,” Orji said. “And that is why Nigeria has become the No. 1 country with the highest number of poor people.”
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true - by the wise as false - and by the rulers as useful."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
longpig
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mousepad » Wed 26 Feb 2020, 09:21:13

Oddly, Western nations welcome sub-Saharan Africans as if they were assets.

Hahaha. Not all western nations, only the more stupid ones. Like france, italy, germany, spain, switzerland, greece, sweden, norway, finnland, usa, canada, australia, new zealand, netherlands, belgium, england, austria, portugal and maybe a few more. ;-)
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 21:09:33

I count 7.8 Bi8llion as a kind of milestone as it means within two years we will pass 8 Billion. With all the Covid distractions I didn't think to look until just now.

On July 1, 2020 the number for mid year was 7,794,798,739
On Today September 25 estimated number is 7,814,346,840

That is a smooth 20 million growth in 13 weeks or 1/4 of the year whichever you prefer.

There are 14 weeks left this year so we can expect to hit at least 7,834,000,000 by New Years day. Add 80 million projected for 2021 and that puts us over 7,914,000,000 by the end of next year and over 8 Billion in late 2022 or early 2023.

I remember when the news magazines made a huge deal of hitting the 5,000,000,000 number in the mid 1980's and the kids born then will be hitting their 40's as we pass 8,000,000,000!

There are now about 65% more people on the planet than there were in the early 1980's. No wonder the number of massive urban centers has exploded!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 10:08:24

Good points on how the numbers are trending.

I do wonder if covid will put a bit of a dent in these numbers eventually. Not so much from the raw death toll. But it seems like this is a particularly hard time to start an intimate relationship.

Do couples have to be sure to each get tested before they take things 'to the next step'?

Do they have to show each other the test results, or would this be a matter of trust?

Does anyone have friends or relatives trying to start up a new relationship these days? I don't have many people I know in this category any more, so any insights would be welcome.

But again (and again and again and again), the population group to be most concerned about is the top 10%, who consume the lion's share of the world's resources, and among those, the top 1% who are responsible for some 50% of all CO2 emissions (see article in CO2 thread, and discussion there).

For those truly interested in curbing population growth, please contributed generously to any of the many global organizations devoted to increasing women's rights, education, healthcare, etc. This has been shown to be the most effective humane way of controlling run away population growth.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:47:47

dohboi wrote:Good points on how the numbers are trending.

I do wonder if covid will put a bit of a dent in these numbers eventually. Not so much from the raw death toll. But it seems like this is a particularly hard time to start an intimate relationship.

Not at all, remember what happened in 1945 - delayed births all happened at the same time!
Once this farce is over, they'll be at it like rabbits.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 00:16:35

'they' ?

You are not also a 'kudzu rabbit' my dear dol? :P
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 06:56:03

dohboi wrote:'they' ?

You are not also a 'kudzu rabbit' my dear dol? :P

"they", the 18-35 age group, I'm well past that now :(
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 16:38:10

Abortion posts Moved to a new thread
Abortion Thread
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby REAL Green » Mon 28 Sep 2020, 07:37:47

Heinberg weighs in on the need to reduce population along with degrowth. This is a bit idealistic becuase of the trade-offs and consequences of his pondering but keep in mind some of this is essential for mitigation and adaptation of the human carbon trap and the trap of path dependencies. This won't save us but it can make things less worse. The unfortunate case is global competitive cooperation that allows so many people to live together will likely not allow much of this becuase of the costs:

"What If Preventing Collapse Isn't Profitable?"
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020 ... profitable

"There is a third and final realm in which action would be necessary. We would need to take the population question seriously. If population is growing, a shrinking economy becomes an ever-greater burden on each individual. But if population levels are declining, then economic degrowth imposes a smaller per-capita toll, and quality of life could improve as human numbers decline to a sustainable level. The eventual result of taking these collective actions would likely be a happier society, but a smaller and slower one. Many people already yearn for a slower and happier way of life, and, ironically, under current industrial conditions they are forced to pay extra for simple, healthy food, clean air, and opportunities to feel creative and genuinely useful. The simplicity movement, the permaculture movement, the self-sufficiency movement, the maker movement, the tiny house movement, the sharing economy, and the back-to-the-land movement have all sought to cultivate and channel the understandable human urge to regain personal autonomy, re-weave social relationships, and reconnect with nature. There is advantage to be had in ending our assault on the planet; just not profit in the financial sense."
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 14:05:53

"Pregnancy rates hit new lows for women 24 and younger, new highs for women 35 and older"

If these balance each other by the raw numbers, it's actually still a good thing in terms of curbing pop growth.

The over-35 women getting pregnant are probably having their last kid, whereas if younger women start having more kids, they could keep having kids for decades
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 14:20:34

dohboi wrote:"Pregnancy rates hit new lows for women 24 and younger, new highs for women 35 and older"

If these balance each other by the raw numbers, it's actually still a good thing in terms of curbing pop growth.

The over-35 women getting pregnant are probably having their last kid, whereas if younger women start having more kids, they could keep having kids for decades

The white population in the US has been at zero population growth for decades now. All the population growth in the USA is coming from immigration, and from the higher birth rates among POC in the USA.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 15:18:08

Oops, forgot to post the link on that one...here it is

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... -for-women

Good points, P (is there a different 'P' that posts mostly reasonable points on these Env thread than the 'P' who rant on the other thread, or something?? :) )

But of course population is mostly a problem as it is a factor in the formula P x C(onsumption) ... = env damage

And by and large whites have more income and so have a greater environmental impact
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 22:37:41

dohboi wrote: of course population is mostly a problem as it is a factor in the formula P x C(onsumption) ... = env damage

And by and large whites have more income and so have a greater environmental impact

Thats true enough, but One of the reasons that so many Hispanics and XLatinos are putting together caravans and traveling hundreds of miles to the US border and crossing the Rio Grande or crossing into California and basically making huge efforts to get into the United States is because they WANT the higher standard living they can get in the USA.

While these millions of individuals may not immediately have the same income as US citizens, they definitely do have higher incomes then they had back in Mexico/Guatamala/Honduras/Haiti etc.

This was one of the things the old ZERO POPULATION MOVEMENT used to point out..... The ZPG people were right that illegal immigration into the US is INCREASING the population of the USA, and this increase in US population inevitably leads to more and more environmental damage....

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Oct 2020, 22:12:41

wow, you really are out of touch

there has been a net outflow of migrants from the US south for quite some time now

but you have your narrative and you're stickin' to it

don't let me get in the way of your delusions
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 27 Sep 2021, 15:14:50

So last night I saw a statistic that was really a kick in the pants. If you were born in 1972 or earlier the Earth had less than half the number of humans currently living on it when you were born.

I was born earlier than 1972 so this applies to myself as well as all the other over 49 year olds wandering the Earth.

I try and think back to what life was like with fewer people around and I can see lots of places near where I grew up that farms and small wood lots have been replaced with suburbia so it intuitively feels like a real fact. I know from the stats that most Europeans countries have grown some but not doubled while the USA is actually pretty close to double. Other places like India are closer to 2.5 times the population.

So take a look around and speak up, has your area doubled population or maybe you went the other way and population is stable or even falling?
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 27 Sep 2021, 18:35:45

Tanada,

Where I grew up the population has far more than doubled, how much I don’t know. This is in South NJ.

Out summer cabin is in Newfoundland, there the population has been pretty flat for decades. The few large towns have grown considerably while the “outports” have dramatically decreased.

Philadelphia proper has had a more or less stable population for quite a while. Yet the surrounding areas have grown considerably. Recently Philly has had an upsurge and it feels like it is all in my near surroundings. There is “development” everywhere. Some of the apartment complexes look like they were imported from the USSR. It has degraded the city life, you can not park, we found a bargain spot for $225/month.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 29 Sep 2021, 02:58:55

Tanada wrote:So last night I saw a statistic that was really a kick in the pants. If you were born in 1972 or earlier the Earth had less than half the number of humans currently living on it when you were born.

So take a look around and speak up, has your area doubled population or maybe you went the other way and population is stable or even falling?

For some reason, I had thought the global population was more like 3 billion in 1972 or so. Well, learning is a good thing, and my memory for long term details less so as I age. :)

Well, I checked for my home city, Lexington, in Central KY.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us-ci ... population

Lexington’s population saw the largest growth from 1970 to 1980, where the population grew over 96,000 from 108,137 to 204,165.

Lexington reached it's highest population of 324,604 in 2021.

So the best I have is a tripling from 1970 to 2021 (which shows as the same figure as for 2020, so I suspect that just hasn't been updated yet).

Looking at a graph, the population growth accelerated massively in 1960 and has been consistently pretty high since. I am guessing that the interstate highway system was a part of that: We're at the junction of I75 north/south and I64 E/W which is presumably why we're the 2nd largest city in KY, after Louisville. (We're near no rivers of consequence, and usually transportation networks are key to overall city growth).

This population tripling "feels" about right, re the amount of road growth and housing growth over the years. (I lived here all my life). The tragedy is most of our beautiful horse farms were converted into subdivisions, so what was once a unique and beautiful area is far more "meh" and average, re scenery.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate