Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Worshipping the Overshoot Predator

Re: Worshipping the Overshoot Predator

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 18:36:46

onlooker wrote:Well, it looks like the Overshoot Predator is on the prowl in certain countries. Utilizing its deadly arsenal
Yemen at risk of third cholera epidemic, health officials warn

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/03/middleea ... index.html

Saudis will treat them with more bombings.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby MonteQuest » Fri 12 Apr 2019, 12:34:06

Ibon wrote:Look at the long drawn out debate over on the Overpopulation is Tabu thread where Montequest states that we are not unique and are just like any other organism in reference to overshoot, like yeast for example, and Kublikhan comes up with all these social carrying capacity arguments that we aren't like yeast.

Yes, those arguments are usually borne of hubris. I'm not sure if I ever posted this quote, but it is a good rejoinder: "We like to think that our intelligence and moral code sets us apart from other creatures. When other creatures gain an energy subsidy, they instinctively react by proliferating: their population goes through the well-studied stages of bloom, overshoot, and die-off. If we humans are more than mere animals, we should be expected to behave differently. Yet so far we have reacted to the energy subsidy of fossil fuels exactly the way rats, fruit flies, or bacteria respond to an abundant new food source. A hard look at the evidence tends to make one skeptical of (such) human claims to uniqueness..."-- Richard Heinberg, from his book, The Party's Over
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Mon 27 Apr 2020, 13:48:35

A letter from the virus. It is in Italian with english subtitles. I actually cried when I saw this.

https://vimeo.com/400724034

Very moving.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby onlooker » Mon 27 Apr 2020, 15:26:07

Ibon wrote:A letter from the virus. It is in Italian with english subtitles. I actually cried when I saw this.

Very moving.

It is very moving. Our fate and the condition of the Earth were always tied together, we just forgot.
From another site:
Judy Countryman: LET’S BEGIN THE BIG SLOWDOWN

We desperately need to Not Return to business as usual, ever! We must notice that during the ‘ lock down’ of human busyness, Earth and its other inhabitants and ecosystems have begun restoring themselves. Humans, to have any chance of saving ourselves and our home, must voluntarily reduce our footprint on the planet by gradually reducing our population and stopping our frenetic level of activity and consumption of stuff and bling. We must also restructure our socio-economic and political practices to an egalitarian, grass roots democratic, more likely localized and mutual aid based culture in line with and honoring all inhabitants and ways of Earth.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 05 May 2020, 18:47:47

Ibon wrote:A letter from the virus. It is in Italian with english subtitles. I actually cried when I saw this.

Very moving.

Nice Video...I like it a lot. I recommend everyone check out this video. The virus has something to teach us.....

But shouldn't the virus be speaking Chinese?
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 05 May 2020, 21:09:52

Plantagenet wrote:

Very moving.

Nice Video...I like it a lot. I recommend everyone check out this video. The virus has something to teach us.....

But shouldn't the virus be speaking Chinese?

Call me biased because my mother was born in Rome Italy and I am half Italian but I just don't think the virus speaking Chinese would have the same impact. I also don't think the Chinese could conceptualize the message the way you see it done here in Italian.
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 06 May 2020, 00:21:39

Ibon wrote:I just don't think the virus speaking Chinese would have the same impact. I also don't think the Chinese could conceptualize the message the way you see it done here in Italian.

It would be fitting in the form of Corona-Chan.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 May 2020, 07:25:26

MonteQuest wrote:
Ibon wrote:Look at the long drawn out debate over on the Overpopulation is Tabu thread where Montequest states that we are not unique and are just like any other organism in reference to overshoot, like yeast for example, and Kublikhan comes up with all these social carrying capacity arguments that we aren't like yeast.

Yes, those arguments are usually borne of hubris. I'm not sure if I ever posted this quote, but it is a good rejoinder: "We like to think that our intelligence and moral code sets us apart from other creatures. When other creatures gain an energy subsidy, they instinctively react by proliferating: their population goes through the well-studied stages of bloom, overshoot, and die-off. If we humans are more than mere animals, we should be expected to behave differently. Yet so far we have reacted to the energy subsidy of fossil fuels exactly the way rats, fruit flies, or bacteria respond to an abundant new food source. A hard look at the evidence tends to make one skeptical of (such) human claims to uniqueness..."-- Richard Heinberg, from his book, The Party's Over

Good quote, kind of gets to the nut of it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 06 May 2020, 16:23:51

Newfie wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:

Good quote, kind of gets to the nut of it.

Overpopulation is another one of those issues that gets lost in the current R vs. D political structure of the US. There's is no political backing for addressing this issue.

The Rs want more people because it makes GDP go up and grow the economy. The Ds refuse to touch the overpopulation issue because they think its racist. The white population in the US is at zero population growth now, so the population growth we are seeing in the US is due to legal and illegal immigration and to rapid demographic growth in non-white groups---something the Ds will never bring themselves to oppose.

So both Ds and Rs want MORE population growth in the US...and thats what we're getting.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate