Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Doom have gone boring

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 01:49:17

Cog wrote:When someone mentions the use of the military on US soil, it clues me in that they fantasize about the military killing conservatives and Republicans. It also tells me they think we defeated the Taliban in our 18 years over there.

I know the common thought by leftists is all the gun owners are going to line up in a big row to be strafed by planes and mowed down like wheat. Insurgencies don't work that way.

Indolence, gluttony & decadence doesn't go hand in hand with successful insurgence.
I am very much on the right (the only major leftie argument which I have accepted is about AGW) and yet somehow I do not see any prospects for successful insurgence anywhere on the West (or in Poland for that mater).
To get to a standard of even mediocre Taliban fighter average American would need to spend his entire life and one day longer in the gym. Then he would need another life in diamond mine for character building.
If there will be any insurgence against american government, it will be manned by mexican drug cartels. They are probably capable to organize and sustain successful campaign of assassinations of american key public figures and their families (and also their shadow overlords) what might force elites to negotiate.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 11:39:13

Here ya go, Fox News has a story to list out possible doom scenarios.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/the-nex ... ill-us-all
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 11:42:48

Newfie wrote:Here ya go, Fox News has a story to list out possible doom scenarios.

Wow. I never thought I'd see this phrase coming from Fox News:

Due to climate change, human activity and other factors, “natural” disasters are becoming more common.

Admitting climate change? Seriously? By the comments, Fox's demographic is still slow to change.

"Due to climate change, human activity and other factors, “natural” disasters are becoming more common."

Really? Other than showing the scores of tree huggers who were arrested for starting the fires in Australia, show some empirical unbiased data that proves anything is caused by climate change as a result of man.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 11:51:21

EU,

I recently read the bio of a mafia man. Apparently their is a movie out about him called “The Irishman.” The book is titled “I hear you paint houses.” Some deride the book, but I’m not so sure.

It describes life within the Mafia. And it strikes me that the Mafia was acting as an alternative government with their own sets of laws and moralities. It’s main problem was not that it was wrong, but that it was in competition with the dental government.

My thought is that these shadow governments crop up where the main government does not provide the primary services. These services include food and shelter but also basic law and order and a morality to guide your life by.

For a long time I have believed that the resurgence of gangs in American cities is because the local governments have failed the population, is not responsive to their needs for law and order and justice, along with basic food and housing. And some of these guys are pretty tough.

I can see a situation where these gangs rise up in some cities, but I don’t foresee them coalescing into a national force.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 12:17:40

ASG,

If you follow Fox they actually have quite a few stories on climate change. It’s starting to effect the markets and investing but also navigation and the AG industry.

Business managers are paying attention even if they are not vocal.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby GHung » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 13:00:53

Yet here you all are again, day after day in fact, discussing doom. :?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 13:17:35

asg70 wrote:
Newfie wrote:Here ya go, Fox News has a story to list out possible doom scenarios.

Wow. I never thought I'd see this phrase coming from Fox News:

Due to climate change, human activity and other factors, “natural” disasters are becoming more common.

Admitting climate change? Seriously? By the comments, Fox's demographic is still slow to change.

"Due to climate change, human activity and other factors, “natural” disasters are becoming more common."

Really? Other than showing the scores of tree huggers who were arrested for starting the fires in Australia, show some empirical unbiased data that proves anything is caused by climate change as a result of man.

Ironically, in some ways, Fox News is gradually becoming more "balanced" on such topics over time, as they do have at least some panelists who increasingly go against the usual grain.

Since I almost NEVER watch TV, I know this by sampling various articles, headlines, trends, when surveying the news on the internet or getting multiple viewpoints on a given story.

Ironically again, with all the MSNBC focus on Trump hating, Fox may be getting more balanced than MSNBC in key ways.

Of course, given how slanted they BOTH are, you can throw them out and go with more moderate sources and not miss much, big picture.

Oh, and by the demographics, BOTH demographics re Fox and MSNBC are slow to change -- the topics of stubbornness just differ, re cultural party lines, of course.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 13:29:04

Newfie wrote:EU,

I recently read the bio of a mafia man. Apparently their is a movie out about him called “The Irishman.” The book is titled “I hear you paint houses.” Some deride the book, but I’m not so sure.

It describes life within the Mafia. And it strikes me that the Mafia was acting as an alternative government with their own sets of laws and moralities. It’s main problem was not that it was wrong, but that it was in competition with the dental government.

My thought is that these shadow governments crop up where the main government does not provide the primary services. These services include food and shelter but also basic law and order and a morality to guide your life by.

For a long time I have believed that the resurgence of gangs in American cities is because the local governments have failed the population, is not responsive to their needs for law and order and justice, along with basic food and housing. And some of these guys are pretty tough.

I can see a situation where these gangs rise up in some cities, but I don’t foresee them coalescing into a national force.

Well... I cannot agree more.
Obviously Mafia is unlikely to take over US national government as you have noticed but if US government have failed population Mafia may eradicate its influence on local basis and efficiently dissolve US (or part of it) by converting it into a number self governing local fiefdoms.
This situation is known as a "failed state".
California first in line?
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Mon 20 Jan 2020, 14:46:29

Yet here you all are again, day after day in fact, discussing doom.

There are some pretty doomy things taking place. There are now two epidemics spreading across the world. One has already killed half the hogs in Asia, has spread to most of the rest of the world, and is unstoppable. The other is affecting humans, and it may also be unstoppable. Other than that, everything is hunky dory; except for the IMF's prediction of a coming world depression. Mass starvation, and a depression aren't really doom. They are a readjustment. Cheers.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 11:19:46

EnergyUnlimited wrote:

Obviously Mafia is unlikely to take over US national government as you have noticed but if US government have failed population Mafia may eradicate its influence on local basis and efficiently dissolve US (or part of it) by converting it into a number self governing local fiefdoms.

Only I think the opposite, continued corporate welfare, is much more likely. Centralizing forces within our form of capitalism seem to be prevailing. This local stuff seems more like a dream.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 17:29:44

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Yes, 10 years ago we were talking about vibrant sexy doom and now it is all the same and the same old boring doom which always come but never quite.
This doom is coming so slow that most of us doomers will die well before it got a chance to materialize.
California was burning and there was blackouts - boring
Australia is burning now - boring as well.
Stock market is 5 or 10% down within last month - boring
Tanada will report that just now one additional ppm of CO2 have been recorded in air - boring
He will also mention about those additional 5ppb of methane - boring too.
Dohboi will bring a news of some warming record again beaten by 0.01*C - boring (ech, if only it was 2 or 5*C, not a measly 0.01*C but no, it must be boring 0.01*C).
There is also a societal collapse - 75 000 have died of drug overdose last year and 1000000 is now homeless US wide - so boring.
What about 10 000 000 being homeless and half of them dying every month with numbers of homeless growing still - that would be something.
Now we have new lethal virus - one Chinese and one Vietnamese peasant have died - yawn...
Doom is a really boring thing... yawn...

Watching the Superbowl: BORING.

Watching the unfolding catastrophes: NOT boring at all :-)

Just listened to Guy McPherson about 'What we should do now?" He says 'Decommission nuclear power plants now.' Hey, I know nothing about nuclear power plant decommissioning. So, I find article where it states that nuclear power plants are typically decommissioned over a 60-year period! Seems kind of long as in, we really cannot wait. So, what is so BORING about all this??
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EdwinSm » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 06:57:48

If you are finding the Peak Oil Doom has become boring, you could spend time looking at the WuHan Coronavirus. It is still early days, so there can be lots of discussion about R0 rates (2.5 - 3+), or population penetration rates, Case Fatality rates (over all, initial estimates at 14-14%, and by age group - it seems to be hitting older people).

Or you could discuss whether China is deliberately covering up, or if it is just a result of their dysfunctional system where it is not safe for one's career to pass on bad news to one's superior.

Or if your entertainment runs to conspiracy theories, there is the fact that China's top bio-lab is located in Wuhan.

Plenty to keep you from being bored while waiting for this doom to spread around the world. :razz: :razz:
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:00:55

jedrider wrote:
EnergyUnlimited wrote:Yes, 10 years ago we were talking about vibrant sexy doom and now it is all the same and the same old boring doom which always come but never quite.
This doom is coming so slow that most of us doomers will die well before it got a chance to materialize.
California was burning and there was blackouts - boring
Australia is burning now - boring as well.
Stock market is 5 or 10% down within last month - boring
Tanada will report that just now one additional ppm of CO2 have been recorded in air - boring
He will also mention about those additional 5ppb of methane - boring too.
Dohboi will bring a news of some warming record again beaten by 0.01*C - boring (ech, if only it was 2 or 5*C, not a measly 0.01*C but no, it must be boring 0.01*C).
There is also a societal collapse - 75 000 have died of drug overdose last year and 1000000 is now homeless US wide - so boring.
What about 10 000 000 being homeless and half of them dying every month with numbers of homeless growing still - that would be something.
Now we have new lethal virus - one Chinese and one Vietnamese peasant have died - yawn...
Doom is a really boring thing... yawn...

Watching the Superbowl: BORING.

Watching the unfolding catastrophes: NOT boring at all :-)

Just listened to Guy McPherson about 'What we should do now?" He says 'Decommission nuclear power plants now.' Hey, I know nothing about nuclear power plant decommissioning. So, I find article where it states that nuclear power plants are typically decommissioned over a 60-year period! Seems kind of long as in, we really cannot wait.

Just more evidence of two things,
1) Guy McPherson is anti technology and always has been.
2) You do not understand WHY decommissioning takes 60 years. So I will explain it to you in the simplest terms possible. While decommissioning a nuclear power plant mechanically is no more difficult than deconstructing any large heavily reinforced building it contains this mysterious force called "radioactivity". Despite the fact that you sitting there reading this and I sitting here writing this are bathed in a vast field of radioactivity 99.9% of lawmakers and bureaucrats are ignorant of this reality. Therefor the Lawmakers and Bureaucrats have created laws and regulations of the extreme variety that require decommissioning to take place in a very very very slow manner so that the many varied materials that make up a nuclear power plant are removed in an order of least radioactive first. Once all of a given exposed material, for example copper wiring, has been removed they pause. The pause is to allow the next material to be removed, say the plumbing fixtures and piping, to decay to the same "safe" level designated by the regulations. Then they remove that next set of "safe" materials and pause again to wait for the next regulatory limit material to achieve its designated "safe" level.

Over here in reality however it is obvious that 85%+ of the mass of the power plant can be safely removed starting one year after shutdown and the remainder within 3-5 years depending on circumstances. Reality sadly has nothing to do with scary sounding terms like "Radiation" which is a magic word Hollywood uses to conger up the likes of both Godzilla on one side and Spiderman/The Hulk on the other side.

One more thing from over here in Reality, what do you think happens if you just leave a decommissioned nuclear plant sitting there after they have taken away all the fuel and removed the spent fuel from storage? It is just a set of building made out of reinforced concrete. You could quite literally move in tomorrow and live your whole life there from infancy to great old age without exposure to dangerous levels of radiation once the fuel has been removed to another location. So it doesn't matter if it takes 6 years, 60 years or 600 years to take the plant apart, it isn't going to hurt anyone or anything in the process.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 12:06:35

evilgenius wrote:
EnergyUnlimited wrote:

Only I think the opposite, continued corporate welfare, is much more likely. Centralizing forces within our form of capitalism seem to be prevailing. This local stuff seems more like a dream.

Walmart is everywhere, except where the local culture was too strong for it to make a profit. Amazon has the potential to take care of that gap. If a crypto currency is going to succeed, it will likely come from an effort to centralize the sale of things across national, thus currency, boundaries. Amazon could do that much more readily than Facebook. And Facebook is trying.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance