Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Doom have gone boring

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 15:57:39

Yes, 10 years ago we were talking about vibrant sexy doom and now it is all the same and the same old boring doom which always come but never quite.
This doom is coming so slow that most of us doomers will die well before it got a chance to materialize.
California was burning and there was blackouts - boring
Australia is burning now - boring as well.
Stock market is 5 or 10% down within last month - boring
Tanada will report that just now one additional ppm of CO2 have been recorded in air - boring
He will also mention about those additional 5ppb of methane - boring too.
Dohboi will bring a news of some warming record again beaten by 0.01*C - boring (ech, if only it was 2 or 5*C, not a measly 0.01*C but no, it must be boring 0.01*C).
There is also a societal collapse - 75 000 have died of drug overdose last year and 1000000 is now homeless US wide - so boring.
What about 10 000 000 being homeless and half of them dying every month with numbers of homeless growing still - that would be something.
Now we have new lethal virus - one Chinese and one Vietnamese peasant have died - yawn...
Doom is a really boring thing... yawn...
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 16:09:27

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Yes, 10 years ago we were talking about vibrant sexy doom and now it is all the same and the same old boring doom which always come but never quite.
This doom is coming so slow that most of us doomers will die well before it got a chance to materialize.
California was burning and there was blackouts - boring
Australia is burning now - boring as well.
Stock market is 5 or 10% down within last month - boring
Tanada will report that just now one additional ppm of CO2 have been recorded in air - boring
He will also mention about those additional 5ppb of methane - boring too.
Dohboi will bring a news of some warming record again beaten by 0.01*C - boring (ech, if only it was 2 or 5*C, not a measly 0.01*C but no, it must be boring 0.01*C).
There is also a societal collapse - 75 000 have died of drug overdose last year and 1000000 is now homeless US wide - so boring.
What about 10 000 000 being homeless and half of them dying every month with numbers of homeless growing still - that would be something.
Now we have new lethal virus - one Chinese and one Vietnamese peasant have died - yawn...
Doom is a really boring thing... yawn...

Don't look now, but I think you just made a good case for why, at the end of the day, I'm a moderate with a pessimistic long term outlook for humanity, given human nature and the flow of history.

(If only lots of bright red font would actually make, for example, lots of Ebola braying credible re likely global doom, maybe reality wouldn't be so boring). I'll say it again -- any likely short term doom will be completely unexpected, like a giant extinction event meteor.

Oh, and again, with a tip of the hat to ASG: BAU CONTINUES APACE.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 8313
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 16:33:23

Yeah, the perfect storm of Collapse chaos brewing is well just boring. A grossly unjust economic system run by greedy amoral people that is inexorably petering out from a deficit of net energy, leaving much less of an economic pie for all is boring. As is the mutifaceted depletion, poisoning and degradation of the environment which all life depends on boring. Ditto for setting up the conditions for a mass extinction event via CC. Oh we also have the tightening grip of a Oligarchy-Plutocracy that is in a police/military mode of control. Many nukes still on trigger alert as the big powers vie to be the last man standing on a beleaguered Earth boring also. Everything will continue boring until its not. Sweet dreams.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
User avatar
onlooker
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 10934
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 16:44:27

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Yes, 10 years ago we were talking about vibrant sexy doom and now it is all the same and the same old boring doom which always come but never quite.
This doom is coming so slow that most of us doomers will die well before it got a chance to materialize.
California was burning and there was blackouts - boring
Australia is burning now - boring as well.
Stock market is 5 or 10% down within last month - boring
Tanada will report that just now one additional ppm of CO2 have been recorded in air - boring
He will also mention about those additional 5ppb of methane - boring too.


You got me there, I mostly just post every two or three weeks now compared to my old daily recording of the figures because I realized just how unexciting the whole thing was. While I honestly believe we are at or near the CO2 tipping point I have also pointed out I don't know how many times we don't know precisely what the key point is. We could hit it before June 2020 or not until 2035, and waiting with baited breath every week for anther 15 years is an impossible pace of doom for my moderate soul to sustain.

I am also a big believer that the Arctic Sea Ice is getting close to a tipping point, but just like CO2 levels it could happen in 2020 or not until 2035 or heck 50 years after I die of a ripe old age.

As a Moderate I have always said BAU would muddle through for a long time to come for the simple reason that people are not going to just curl up and die when life challenges them. They will fight to keep their lifestyle going just as long and as hard as they can figure out. Don't take my word for it look at the crash and burn of the USSR. Sure lots of people died of neglect or suicide, but you did not get a nation wide famine causing people to die in waves. No pandemic diseases erupted and swept through the land killing 20% of the population. People were sad and angry and uncomfortable, but they didn't riot and burn down everything in sight, they didn't go mad killing each other in tribal mob actions, and they didn't all die of alcohol poisoning trying to drown their sorrow either.

My parents grew up during the Great depression when most families were dependent on a single income and 35% of the working age population was unemployed at its worst ebb. Millions of Americans migrated to different places in the 1930's looking for work or trying to escape the Dust Bowl. But as bad as it was the nation functioned, muddling along through, because people were not willing to just shrug and die. Oklahoma was one of the hardest hit places during the Dust Bowl with the largest out migration of residents anywhere, but when the next census came the population had barely changed.

Humans are tougher and more resilient than most doomers would have you believe. The civilizations humans build do not crumble overnight without a spectacular unmistakable event causing everything to come apart. Back when I thought people were listening I pointed out that if fuel were suddenly $20/gallon the government would make darn sure the military and the farmers were first in line to get what they needed to keep the masses fed. Even when the USSR fell apart the farmers still kept farming and the people still got fed for the very same reason, the people in government have no desire to dangle from a rope tied to the nearest lamppost, tree or building window.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
User avatar
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 15793
Joined: Thu 28 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: South West shore Lake Erie, OH, USA

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 16:45:09

onlooker wrote:Yeah, the perfect storm of Collapse chaos brewing is well just boring. A grossly unjust economic system run by greedy amoral people that is inexorably petering out from a deficit of net energy, leaving much less of an economic pie for all is boring. As is the mutifaceted depletion, poisoning and degradation of the environment which all life depends on boring. Ditto for setting up the conditions for a mass extinction event via CC. Oh we also have the tightening grip of a Oligarchy-Plutocracy that is in a police/military mode of control. Many nukes still on trigger alert as the big powers vie to be the last man standing on a beleaguered Earth boring also. Everything will continue boring until its not. Sweet dreams.

If only empty ranting and being constantly wrong re predictions made you smart, I'll be the first to admit it, you'd be an Einstein. Yet in the real world, things like hard work and practicality would almost certainly serve you better.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 8313
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Sys1 » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 18:13:10

"Doom have gone boring"
No, what is boring is BAU.
Good news, guys, BAU is about to finish, we won't reach 2030 with BAU. Even 2025 will be tough.
We are already entering riots time. I live in France and street violence coming from yellow vests last years and going on with pensions reform in december are not exactly "boring".
Look. It's just the breeze before the storm. When the storm will occur, you will regret boring time.
User avatar
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Fri 25 Feb 2005, 03:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 18:41:48

I would just like to point out that CO2 and methan do not warm the planet. Sun does. No need to bother about them.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 03:29:19

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 19:28:06

We live our lives on short cycles. The Earth lives on long cycles. We try to understand Earth from our reference, but it does not cooperate. So what’s boring to us is very fast moving to Earth. It’s all perspective.

What is not so slow is e evolution of the financial situation. We have seen it change several times in our life span. And this fast cycling is because it’s more wholly controlled by humans. So far they have been able to keep it afloat, and may for some time yet. But the trend is pretty clear, it will collapse; 2020 or 2035, or 2050 who knows? That’s what I think may get us first.

On the other hand, boring is good. The pension keeps coming, i enjoy my days. I’m loving life. Boring, yes! :-D
User avatar
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 14709
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Between Canada and Carribean

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 18 Jan 2020, 20:37:39

onlooker wrote:Yeah, the perfect storm of Collapse chaos brewing is well just boring. A grossly unjust economic system run by greedy amoral people that is inexorably petering out from a deficit of net energy, leaving much less of an economic pie for all is boring. As is the mutifaceted depletion, poisoning and degradation of the environment which all life depends on boring. Ditto for setting up the conditions for a mass extinction event via CC. Oh we also have the tightening grip of a Oligarchy-Plutocracy that is in a police/military mode of control. Many nukes still on trigger alert as the big powers vie to be the last man standing on a beleaguered Earth boring also. Everything will continue boring until its not. Sweet dreams.


Translation: I want doom to come to wash away "them". That's why I see insta-doom around every corner.

Sys1 wrote:I live in France and street violence coming from yellow vests


Yellow vests != peak oil doom.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Sun 05 Feb 2017, 13:17:28

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Cog » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 03:21:30

Sorry onlooker. Your glorious socialist revolution has been put on hold indefinitely. You know the one. The one where you march the rich through the streets on the way to the people's justice.
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13418
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 03:57:54

Yonnipun wrote:I would just like to point out that CO2 and methan do not warm the planet. Sun does. No need to bother about them.

But without CO2, methane, water vapour and other gases Earth would be about as warm as Moon, which is about as far from Sun as Earth is.
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 04:18:29

Cog wrote:Sorry onlooker. Your glorious socialist revolution has been put on hold indefinitely. You know the one. The one where you march the rich through the streets on the way to the people's justice.

You only wait for Ms Omar to grab power in the US... and AOC becoming Secretary of State... and there is a third one, quite fat, forgot her name - she could get DoD to run.
Meantime Bernie Sanders could update American Constitution and hey presto - we are living in brave new world.
All guns still sold would be painted pink.
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 04:47:43

Sys1 wrote:"Doom have gone boring"
No, what is boring is BAU.
Good news, guys, BAU is about to finish, we won't reach 2030 with BAU. Even 2025 will be tough.
We are already entering riots time. I live in France and street violence coming from yellow vests last years and going on with pensions reform in december are not exactly "boring".
Look. It's just the breeze before the storm. When the storm will occur, you will regret boring time.

Yellow vests have gone boring long time ago. They are not getting anywhere.
French police have these fat barrel guns firing ping-pong balls on them.
They get few punches and go home (sometimes with a missing eye).
Here in Poland they even have stopped showing them in TV.
You know, even your Muzzies have gone boring.
Few years ago they could pull up a decent shooting on a stadium and they were regularly driving lorries into a crowd.
Something was going on at least.
And now what they do?
Burn few cars on new year eve?
That's not good enough. They don't try hard :-D
Doom got boring in France too!
You know, we need months long blackouts, zombie hordes eating each other, few fractions of military fighting for power grab, tens of thousands of rapes every day and hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen attempting to swim to England every month. Thousands of rotting corpses on Normandy beaches, you know.
If Somalia or Libya can do it, why France cannot?
What have happened to French people? There is no life in them any more. They have even abandoned republican marriage ceremony. :-D :-D :-D
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 05:18:43

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Yonnipun wrote:I would just like to point out that CO2 and methan do not warm the planet. Sun does. No need to bother about them.

But without CO2, methane, water vapour and other gases Earth would be about as warm as Moon, which is about as far from Sun as Earth is.


Atmosphere is a heat shield. It dissipates heat. Adding more co2 or methan into the atmosphere can not warm up the planet. The energy from the sun keeps us warm not gas.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat 07 Apr 2018, 03:29:19

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Cog » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 05:27:06

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Cog wrote:Sorry onlooker. Your glorious socialist revolution has been put on hold indefinitely. You know the one. The one where you march the rich through the streets on the way to the people's justice.

You only wait for Ms Omar to grab power in the US... and AOC becoming Secretary of State... and there is a third one, quite fat, forgot her name - she could get DoD to run.
Meantime Bernie Sanders could update American Constitution and hey presto - we are living in brave new world.
All guns still sold would be painted pink.


Except for one thing. Us Americans are the most heavily armed population on the planet. When the voter box fails, we always have the cartridge box.
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13418
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 07:39:20

Cog wrote:Except for one thing. Us Americans are the most heavily armed population on the planet. When the voter box fails, we always have the cartridge box.

You may have to contend with government's drones, F16, F22, Abrams tanks, tomahawks, phosphorus bombs and even tactical nukes, should you upset your overlords enough.
You may even need to contend with AOC while on PMT and that is even tougher task.
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 11:45:16

Wow. Another thread that is going off the rails into sarcastic political grandstanding.

Image

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Sun 05 Feb 2017, 13:17:28

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby dissident » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 13:44:10

Cog wrote:
EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Cog wrote:Sorry onlooker. Your glorious socialist revolution has been put on hold indefinitely. You know the one. The one where you march the rich through the streets on the way to the people's justice.

You only wait for Ms Omar to grab power in the US... and AOC becoming Secretary of State... and there is a third one, quite fat, forgot her name - she could get DoD to run.
Meantime Bernie Sanders could update American Constitution and hey presto - we are living in brave new world.
All guns still sold would be painted pink.


Except for one thing. Us Americans are the most heavily armed population on the planet. When the voter box fails, we always have the cartridge box.


But most 1st world mass media consumers aren't prepared to become insurgents in the hills. So all those private guns mean precisely f*ck all. The organized armies of the state with more powerful weapons will roll over any collection of weekend warriors and their pop guns. Recall that in the middle east gun ownership is common too. Does not mean that they live in freedom. It's all about psychology and there are just too many soft-headed lemmings to really fight the system. They would shoot their neighbors in the name of the state without much thought at all.
dissident
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat 08 Apr 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 16:06:43

dissident wrote:But most 1st world mass media consumers aren't prepared to become insurgents in the hills. So all those private guns mean precisely f*ck all. The organized armies of the state with more powerful weapons will roll over any collection of weekend warriors and their pop guns. Recall that in the middle east gun ownership is common too. Does not mean that they live in freedom. It's all about psychology and there are just too many soft-headed lemmings to really fight the system. They would shoot their neighbors in the name of the state without much thought at all.

Indeed.
Here is one of potential insurgents:
Image
User avatar
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 6438
Joined: Mon 15 May 2006, 02:00:00

Re: Doom have gone boring

Unread postby Cog » Sun 19 Jan 2020, 19:51:11

When someone mentions the use of the military on US soil, it clues me in that they fantasize about the military killing conservatives and Republicans. It also tells me they think we defeated the Taliban in our 18 years over there.

I know the common thought by leftists is all the gun owners are going to line up in a big row to be strafed by planes and mowed down like wheat. Insurgencies don't work that way.
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13418
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Next

Return to Economics & Finance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

cron