Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wildfires 2020 Thread

Re: Wildfires 2020 Thread

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 08 Jan 2020, 22:33:50

...please explain the huge fires in the late nineteenth century when "global warming" didn't exist?

Do I have to explain everything to you? OK....I guess I do. And more then once as well. OK, here we go again.

Fires in Australia happen when there are heatwaves and drought. Of course this has happened in the past.

But we have record high temperatures now...due to global warming temperatures now are higher and they stay higher for longer periods of time then they did in the past. And the prolonged high temperatures are producing record drought and a record long fire season and record amounts of bushfire activity in Australia.

Do you get it now?

Cheers!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:38:05, edited 1 time in total.
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 08 Jan 2020, 23:27:43

Fires in Australia happen when there are heatwaves and drought. Of course this has happened in the past.

and clearly you are ignoring the inverse relationship between controlled burns and natural fires. So maybe you can "explain" that? What about all the periods of heatwaves and drought when there wasn't a lot of fires....there are numerous examples of those if you bothered to look. But in 1939 the period of drought and high temperatures had zero to do with climate change....and now you are trying to equate them? And what about 1974 - 1975 when the greatest area in Australia (100 MM Ha) burnt? According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology this was a period of above-normal precipitation and below-normal temperatures....explain that away. You have a logic problem there I'm afraid.

But we have record high temperatures now...due to global warmer temperatures now are higher then in the past. And the record temperatures are producing record drought and a record long fire season and record amounts of bushfire activity in Australia.

you just keep repeating the same mantra and meanwhile ignore every bit of contrary data that was posted. We have Aussies on the ground saying the problem is too much fuel due to a lack of controlled burns for a number of years. We have a complete disconnect from where the temperatures have risen versus where the fires are. Rainfall in Australia has actually been increasing over time (as I showed via plot a couple of pages back) and there were large fires during periods of high precipitation and lower average temperature.

but despite actual data being shown to the contrary you are going to stick with your mantra. I guess you think if you say it enough times it will come true. :roll:

Do you get it now?

What I do get is that you have your head completely inserted where the sun doesn't shine. But keep repeating that mantra. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby clif » Thu 09 Jan 2020, 02:42:04

What I do get is that you have your head completely inserted where the sun doesn't shine.

.... and crocdoc has another pot - kettle moment.....
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 09 Jan 2020, 12:45:06

and another article pointing to expert opinion:

Australia’s Bushfires Not Caused by Climate Change, Says Leading Expert

Australia’s current bushfires have been caused by increased fuel loads, not climate change, according to bushfire expert and leading scientist David Packham.

Packham, an Order of Australia recipient and former Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) bushfire expert, warned Victoria’s Inspector-General for Emergency Management five years ago that “a massive bushfire disaster will occur” if the annual fuel reduction burning target of 5 percent was not doubled or tripled.

Fuel levels have since reached their most dangerous levels in thousands of years, Packham added.

According to Packham, fuel is the main component for a bushfire; the amount of fuel determines fire ferocity and the rate at which the fire moves. Other components include hot, dry, windy weather, and ignitions.
“For example it is very hot and very dry, and sometimes very windy in the center of Australia. But there’s no fuel,” he said. “Occasionally there is fuel after a very good year when they have a lot of rain. The next year becomes a problem in the center of Australia, and huge fires take place there, because now at last there’s fuel.”
Burning is the most “economic way to control the fuel over the big areas of Australia,” which was “controlled beautifully by the original inhabitants of Australia” Packham added.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/australias-bushfires-not-caused-by-climate-change-says-leading-expert_3196175.html

but go ahead, ignore the experts who actually live there. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Jan 2020, 19:14:28

clif wrote: .... and crocdoc has another pot - kettle moment.....

Crockdoc's little temper tantrums are so predicable they are actually funny.

I politely answered crocdoc's question in my post and Crockdoc read my response and realized he was wrong again and he couldn't handle it so his head exploded and he had another temper tantrum.

It happens over and over again. He acts like a crazy man everytime he loses an argument.

I win another argument and crockdoc goes crazy again! Its time for another victory dance!!!!!

Cheers!
Last edited by Tanada on Fri 10 Jan 2020, 09:32:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pointless graphic removed
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 09 Jan 2020, 21:05:28

I politely answered crocdoc's question in my post and Crockdoc read my response and realized he was wrong again and he couldn't handle it so his head exploded and he had another temper tantrum.

Yeah right.....the blithering idiot dance.

You simply proved my point. If there were large fires in the nineteenth century that you want to associate with drought and hot temperatures when global warming wasn't around then your argument that drought and hot temperatures now must be due to global warming is basically just stupid. Which of course doesn't surprise me.

And of course, you ignored all the points I made which completely argue about this having anything to do with global warming....that is basically your modus operandi....say stupid things, post stupid gifs and then behave like a schoolchild running around in a circle claiming he has somehow won something. Grow up, you embarrass yourself here continuously.

once again
- Aussie scientists who work in the field of bush fire control are saying the problem is too much fuel due to a lack of controlled burns for many years
- The is a complete disconnect from the areas in Australia that have seen warming and the location of the fires. Many of the fires are situated where the continent has seen only marginal warming in the past 40 years
-the overall trend in Australia is for increased precipitation, not decreased precipitation. This year is an anomaly, not a pattern
- In the mid-seventies, the largest fires ever recorded in Australia occurred and it was a period of above-average precipitation and below-average temperature. This destroys the notion climate change has anything to do with the fires
-there is a very clear negative correlation of the number of controlled burns (removing fuel) versus the number of natural bush fires. As the gov't precluded citizens from removing fuel through controlled burns the number of bush fires increased. This data is published and available for anyone to read assuming they have that skill.

Is this all somehow something new? Not hardly. Back in 2013 the following appeared in the Daily Telegraph

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs/miranda-devine/greens-policies-igniting-flames/news-story/13acb741fd1d9d76a49026b00da70bec

It is their continuing opposition to properly managing the fuel loads in our bush that has turned bushfires in recent times into unstoppable infernos. They might pay lip service to hazard reduction but in a thousand ways they obstruct it. In the Blue Mountains last week, in Tasmania, in Victoria, time and time again, we witness the destructive consequence of huge fuel loads - leaves, tree litter, undergrowth - built up over years without proper hazard reduction. Systematic cool burns in the winter months, which are done on a cyclical basis every few years, are needed to keep fuel loads at levels which allow firefighters to control outbreaks. "Fires run on fuel. More fuel equals more fire," says Brian Williams, captain of the Kurrajong Heights bushfire brigade for 28 years. "Limited fuel means limited fire. Hazard reduction won't eliminate fire but it keeps it at a level where we can manage it."

Australia's foremost bushfire scientist, former CSIRO researcher Dr Phil Cheney, says this fire season is very similar to 1968, with strong westerly winds in October after a dry winter. The difference is that "the forests have thickened up enormously in the past 50 years" and people's attitude to fire has changed. People used to not "whinge about a bit of smoke on their washing. It was accepted that fire was part and parcel of the environment. Now that acceptance is begrudgingly learned," Cheney says. Cheney is no climate sceptic, but he scoffs at the stupidity of blaming climate change for bushfires. "We've had these big fires forever. You'd have to come from Mars not to know that. This is a flammable continent. "The changes are not weather changes - they are not fire behaviour changes. They are lifestyle changes and fuel changes." People now live deep in the bush, with flammable native gardens rather than lawns and European vegetation. Burning off ground fuel used to be an Australian tradition. Now it's frowned upon. "As a result the fires we get are much more intense and close to homes."

How do these fires that run on the crazy amounts of fuel available start? Anything to do with global warming? No.

https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2020/01/07/24-australians-charged-with-bushfire-arson-as-further-arrests-expected/

the link between arsonists and the deadly fires that devastate Australia every summer is well known and documented, with the rate of deliberately lit fires escalating rapidly during the school holiday period.
Dr Paul Read, co-director of the National Centre for Research in Bushfire and Arson, said the great majority of Australian bushfires are deliberately lit by “cunning, furtive and versatile criminals,” reports ABC News.
“About 85 per cent are related to human activity, 13 per cent confirmed arson and 37 per cent suspected arson,” he said. “The remainder are usually due to reckless fire lighting or even just children playing with fire.”

I think this is all best summed up by Delingpole:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/02/greens-made-australia-bush-fires-worse/

So to be clear, there is zero evidence of any change in climatic conditions that might have increased the likelihood or severity of these bush fires. This not – repeat NOT – a man-made climate change story, and anyone who claims otherwise is either a gullible idiot or a lying charlatan.

And let’s just repeat one more time: Australia’s bush fires have nothing whatsoever to do with climate change. There is no evidence at all to support this claim; it is clearly contradicted by the temperature and rainfall record. The people who claim otherwise, especially those trying to make political capital out of the disaster by twisting the facts to suit their narrative, are either offensively ignorant or nauseatingly unconscionable.

But go ahead, continue to make a fool of yourself. You are definitely an expert in that field of endeavor. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Jan 2020, 21:43:36

Australia wild fires lead to rash of misinformation being spread on the internet by climate change deniers

australia-s-wildfire-crisis-faces-new-foe-misinformation

No truer words were ever spoken. We've even got our own climate deniers spreading the same kind of misinformation here at peakoil.com. And by misinformation, understand that means lies.

Mark Twain was fond of saying "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Climate deniers are too stupid to understand statistics, so they are mostly just damn liars.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 11:22:47

Australia wild fires lead to rash of misinformation being spread on the internet by climate change deniers

the misinformation being spread here is by you and you alone. This article does not provide reasoning as to why it is climate change at fault, the only thing it discusses is the misreporting of how many arrests have occurred with regards to the most recent fires. The fact of the matter is the numbers of arrests are accurate, it is just that number applies to the entire year. It was the press who inaccurately reported this, not some "denial machine" as you seem to want to suggest. What do you think....fires happen because of spontaneous combustion due to climate change? :roll:

And what I posted was actual statistics as they relate to overall number of fires in Australia, not the most recent but fires in general. I did not claim those statistics applied directly to the current fires as you imply. The statistics were provided by Dr Paul Read who is co-director of the National Centre for Research in Bushfire and Arson and I would think he is better positioned to speak to this than some policy wonk from Canada (who is the "expert" in your article).

But apparently you are now calling me a liar. Please show me exactly what article and expert I quoted from which was made up or quoted inaccurately. Otherwise, you should apologize….its rather serious to claim someone is fabricating information when you have no facts to support that. Mind you this is something you do all the time when you are backed into the corner of ignorance.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 12:29:53

Of course, the wildfires are now being caused, or driven, by climate change. It basically means that we must treat firefighting as if it were a war and fund it appropriately and, maybe, withdraw from living in certain areas. This is total war and nothing else. This is NOT a time to be vacationing in Hawaii if one is a prime minister of a country currently being ravaged by the effects of climate change.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jawagord » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 12:50:22

Plantagenet wrote:Australia wild fires lead to rash of misinformation being spread on the internet by climate change deniers

australia-s-wildfire-crisis-faces-new-foe-misinformation

No truer words were ever spoken. We've even got our own climate deniers spreading the same kind of misinformation here at peakoil.com. And by misinformation, understand that means lies.

Mark Twain was fond of saying "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Climate deniers are too stupid to understand statistics, so they are mostly just damn liars.

Cheers!

I think Ike’s quote is more appropriate, Climate Science is poster child for goose stepping groupthink financed by big government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific technological elite.
Don't deny the peak!
jawagord
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 13:27:11

jawagord wrote: public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific technological elite.

As opposed to scientifically dumbass, but money grubbing, lobbyists and politicians?

Climate science has gotten good funding because forecasting the weather has become so important.

Forecasting the climate has also become very important, if anyone would listen.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:06:11

Of course, the wildfires are now being caused, or driven, by climate change.

after all the points made above, backed up with data that clearly show there is no relationship with fire occurrence or severity and climate change you have the temerity to make a statement like that without backing it up with any data to the contrary? This is what I mean about simply repeating the mantra. You think if you say it enough, ignore any contrary information or the experts on the ground that somehow it will still be correct.

You do more disservice to climate studies by making unsupported comments like this than you can imagine. Not everything is about climate change, most things aren't and this is one of them. If climate change were solely responsible for bushfires in Australia then why is the incidence of fire and area burned globally been decreasing (this is peer-reviewed published data)? Why have many of the areas in Australia where fires are the most intense not seen much in the way of temperature increase in the last fifty years and why have those same areas seen an overall increase in precipitation?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:11:43

Yes, doc, it's clearly obvious. No statistics even required. But, only you appear to pull out of nowhere (where? actually) statistics that do not correspond with anyone elses that are published and available.

On the 'no statistics required' bit, do you have any reason, whatsoever, that climate doesn't affect wildfires? Probably not, as you keep on rehashing the same garbage, to look at your bogus data, which doesn't correspond ...

[Edit: Truth is that climate change will REDUCE wildfires. That is only logical. The forests will be converted to deserts at that point.]
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:34:32

rockdoc123 said:

"The fact of the matter is the numbers of arrests are accurate, it is just that number applies to the entire year. It was the press who inaccurately reported this, not some "denial machine" as you seem to want to suggest. What do you think....fires happen because of spontaneous combustion due to climate change?"

I have taken a look at the weather situation in NSW, and I didn't find anything statistically anomalous. That included rain fall, temperature, and wind speeds. There is no destructive weather pattern hitting that area, any more than it does usually. We are living in the Pleistocene, the most climatically variable period in the last 32 million years. Changes in climate are to be expected. We should be getting prepared for what nature is very likely to throw at us. Passing laws to prevent change are going to have very little effect; Mother Nature won't pay a bit of attention to them. The fires in Australia are definitely of human origin. Kangaroos don't usually carry matches???
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 14:37:11

Yes, doc, it's clearly obvious. No statistics even required. But, only you appear to pull out of nowhere (where? actually) statistics that do not correspond with anyone elses that are published and available.

that's funny whereas I supply the actual data and source your defense is to just say..."oh, I disagree with those numbers and others do to". So please show us that opposing data and it's the source. So you are suggesting "nowhere" is the Bureau of Meteorology in Australia? That is the repository for all of the long term climate data in Australia....there are no other sources.

But you say all these statistics that disagree are "published and available" so you must have them and the actual references then? Please provide. Otherwise, your jaw is flapping and nothing of importance is coming out.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 16:35:09

jawagord wrote: Climate Science is poster child for goose stepping groupthink financed by big government

I'm a scientist and I can assure you that you don't understand how science works. Scientists are mostly non-partisan. And in the field of science the best thing you can do for your career is discover something new. Your claim that scientists "goose-step" or engage in "groupthink" is utter nonsense. Scientists become famous by discovering new things that go beyond or even entirely disprove prior scientific theories....any scientist who engages in "groupthink" is on a one way trip to scientific oblivion.

And you are obviously ignorant of the fact that scientists working for big oil companies indepently studied the climate change issue and wrote reports saying that fossil fuels would cause global warming, decades before it became a political issue. The oil company scientists weren't working for "big government" but they came to the same conclusion as independent scientists, university scientists and big government scientists.

Slandering climate scientists is silly, IMHO. Its the same kind of ignorant thinking exhibited by kings who would kill messengers who brought news they didn't like. After a while no one would bring them bad news, so they never heard about the enemy army at the gate.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 16:48:11

rockdoc123 wrote:Image

You left out a crucial datapoint: This year :-)

Again, the numbers are meaningless. You are drawing conclusions from meaningless data. Lying with statistics.

So what, that you pluck a big number out of the beginning of the Green Revolution. They could not have done such huge prescribed burns under current conditions.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 17:12:24

Mega Droughts Engulf Countries
https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01/10/mega-droughts-engulf-countries/

An Australian research paper addressed the issue: Multi-century Cool-and Warm-Season rainfall Reconstructions for Australia’s Major Climatic Regions, European Geosciences Union, Vol. 13, Issue 12, Nov. 30, 2017 by Mandy Freund and Benjamin Henley. According to The University of Melbourne headline about the article: “Recent Australian Droughts may be the Worst in 800 Years.”

I'm not about to read the paper, but the article probably has the gist.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 18:00:34

Again, the numbers are meaningless. You are drawing conclusions from meaningless data. Lying with statistics.

So what, that you pluck a big number out of the beginning of the Green Revolution. They could not have done such huge prescribed burns under current conditions.

That is basically a stupid comment. Lying with statistics? The statistics are what they are….are you suggesting the data is somehow made up?

You seemingly don’t understand what is being said. Attention to prescribed burns eliminates fuel, hence as the prescribed burn area increases the area of wildfire decreases, as you would expect because there is less fuel. The whole point of what is being said is people can’t do prescribed burns now because they are legislated by the government against it. Last year a farmer was fined $50,000 AUS for trying to dig out the roots of a tree on his land that was still smoldering. One farmer was famously filmed showing how his land had been untouched by the fires whereas all of his neighbors are decimated because he told the government to take a hike and went out and back burned his lot of all the excess fuel anyway. He has since been arrested. If the government let farmers manage their lands you could easily see large areas of controlled burning. The point being it is all about land management, not climate change.

Mega Droughts Engulf Countries
I'm not about to read the paper, but the article probably has the gist.

I am having a hard time containing rib hurting laughter. You should have at least read the abstract to that paper, (I have read the paper) which shows it is saying the exact opposite of what you and the bit of grey journalism you point to are claiming. I will bold the important pieces

Abstract. Australian seasonal rainfall is strongly affected by large-scale ocean–atmosphere climate influences. In this study, we exploit the links between these precipitation influences, regional rainfall variations, and palaeoclimate proxies in the region to reconstruct Australian regional rainfall between four and eight centuries into the past. We use an extensive network of palaeoclimate records from the Southern Hemisphere to reconstruct cool (April–September) and warm (October–March) season rainfall in eight natural resource management (NRM) regions spanning the Australian continent. Our bi-seasonal rainfall reconstruction aligns well with independent early documentary sources and existing reconstructions. Critically, this reconstruction allows us, for the first time, to place recent observations at a bi-seasonal temporal resolution into a pre-instrumental context, across the entire continent of Australia.We find that recent 30- and 50-year trends towards wetter conditions in tropical northern Australia are highly unusual in the multi-century context of our reconstruction. Recent cool-season drying trends in parts of southern Australia are very unusual, although not unprecedented, across the multi-century context. We also use our reconstruction to investigate the spatial and temporal extent of historical drought events. Our reconstruction reveals that the spatial extent and duration of the Millennium Drought (1997–2009) appears either very much below average or unprecedented in southern Australia over at least the last 400 years. Our reconstruction identifies a number of severe droughts over the past several centuries that vary widely in their spatial footprint, highlighting the high degree of diversity in historical droughts across the Australian continent We document distinct characteristics of major droughts in terms of their spatial extent, duration, intensity, and seasonality. Compared to the three largest droughts in the instrumental period (Federation Drought, 1895–1903; World War II Drought, 1939–1945; and the Millennium Drought, 1997–2005), we find that the historically documented Settlement Drought (1790–1793), Sturt's Drought (1809–1830) and the Goyder Line Drought (1861–1866) actually had more regionalised patterns and reduced spatial extents. This seasonal rainfall reconstruction provides a new opportunity to understand Australian rainfall variability by contextualising severe droughts and recent trends in Australia.

what this paper is saying, whether you and the author of that complete POS journalism understand is that 1. There has been a trend over the past 50 years to wetter conditions (something I said previously), 2. Cool-season drying is recent but not unusual when the paleo-history is considered and 3. There have been many occasions of much worse drought over the past 400 years.

None of this jives with the notion that climate change has caused more droughts, the opposite being the case.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 10 Jan 2020, 23:18:59

The Australian fires continue to grow and now they are merging into "megafires". A new evacuation order calls for 250,000 more people to flee their homes due to another record heat wave coming this weekend.

Officials-order-250000-to-evacuate-in-Australia-near-megafire

This fire season is the worst ever seen in Australia....and perhaps the scariest thing about this is that global warming will lead to even higher summer temperatures, worse droughts, and longer and more intense fires in Australia in coming years.

Evacuate NOW!

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate