Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 16:24:46

If by 'common sense' you mean undigested prejudice and knee-jerk reactions, I would agree! :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 03:35:57

dohboi wrote:If by 'common sense' you mean undigested prejudice and knee-jerk reactions, I would agree! :)

Common sense is seriously lacking these days. People get scammed hard everywhere by number guys who juggle with beautiful numbers and promise big profits but an average joe is going to lose most of his money eventually. That is what I call common sense. Not getting scammed by bankers, diet gurus etc etc. The list is endless.
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 17:18:27

World must reach 'peak meat' by 2030 to meet climate change targets, scientists warn

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/world/pe ... index.html

"The world needs to reach "peak meat" within the next 10 years to combat the effects of climate change, scientists have warned.

In a letter to The Lancet Planetary Health Journal, they said all but the poorest countries needed to set a time frame for livestock production to stop growing, since the meat and dairy sector is responsible for such a large proportion of emissions.

The scientists called on governments to identify the largest emissions sources or land-occupiers in the livestock sector and set reduction targets to help fight the risk of global temperatures rising by more than the "safe" limit of 1.5-2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels."

see also:

Title: "Emissions – Impossible"

https://www.iatp.org/emissions-impossible

"Emissions intensity targets count emissions per kilogram of meat or milk, but they do nothing to curtail overall growth in company emissions, sales, processing volumes, revenues, or profits.

While intensity may be kept in check or even reduced, total emissions will continue to rise in tandem with production. It is easy to see why corporations focus on reducing intensity rather than reducing total emissions."
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sat 21 Dec 2019, 19:11:57

dohboi wrote:World must reach 'peak meat' by 2030 to meet climate change targets, scientists warn

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/world/pe ... index.html

"The world needs to reach "peak meat" within the next 10 years to combat the effects of climate change, scientists have warned.

In a letter to The Lancet Planetary Health Journal, they said all but the poorest countries needed to set a time frame for livestock production to stop growing, since the meat and dairy sector is responsible for such a large proportion of emissions.

The scientists called on governments to identify the largest emissions sources or land-occupiers in the livestock sector and set reduction targets to help fight the risk of global temperatures rising by more than the "safe" limit of 1.5-2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels."

see also:

Title: "Emissions – Impossible"

https://www.iatp.org/emissions-impossible

"Emissions intensity targets count emissions per kilogram of meat or milk, but they do nothing to curtail overall growth in company emissions, sales, processing volumes, revenues, or profits.

While intensity may be kept in check or even reduced, total emissions will continue to rise in tandem with production. It is easy to see why corporations focus on reducing intensity rather than reducing total emissions."

Sun, sun and only sun keeps the planet warm. Emissions do not warm the planet. Simple as that.
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Sun 22 Dec 2019, 07:20:13

Once again the left lets slip what they really want to control. Profits and revenue. The left seeks to control anything that they do not like.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 04:53:18

Well I just cut out a 21 day, dry cured, grass feed, Prime Rib roast for Christmas. :-D we are going to cure the rest of the side for 45 days before we butcher it. Probably most of you have never eaten dry aged beef, I'm almost certain I have not. We will Sous Vide It, then sear the outside at 500 F. I'll let you know how it is.

BTW we bought the side for $3.00 per pound hanging weight. Grass fed beef is pretty inexpensive if you by from a local farmer and butcher it yourself.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 05:02:02

I believe I'm pretty much a master at grilling anything capable of being grilled but this sous vide deal has me intrigued. Is the meat really that much more juicy? Of course like anyone with refined taste, I want my meat cooked rare. The thought of putting meat in a hot water bath sounds counter intuitive.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 07:13:55

Cog wrote:I believe I'm pretty much a master at grilling anything capable of being grilled but this sous vide deal has me intrigued. Is the meat really that much more juicy? Of course like anyone with refined taste, I want my meat cooked rare. The thought of putting meat in a hot water bath sounds counter intuitive.

Try it, you wont go back. Get a nice carbon steel pan to do your quick searing. I bought the kids this one:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/anova-precision-sous-vide-wifi-cookbook/?catalogId=21&sku=5234978&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Electrics%20%3E%20Sous%20Vide&cm_ite=5234978&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6IHwBRCJARIsALNjViWq3PZzqT_BigLNQULT-d1GnDF3kbT0TFoRhVg67XIHwqPpjRrbWy8aAnjpEALw_wcB

My sons Mother in Law just bought the kids a Traeger. Have you tried those?
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 07:21:33

I'll try the sous fide but I'll sear my steaks on a charcoal grill as God intended. My lord man, do you have common decency at all?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby careinke » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 07:31:10

Cog wrote:I'll try the sous fide but I'll sear my steaks on a charcoal grill as God intended. My lord man, do you have common decency at all?

Well the old grill is getting a little long in the tooth although I like grilling, especially in the summer.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Mon 23 Dec 2019, 14:06:24

I'll try the sous fide but I'll sear my steaks on a charcoal grill as God intended. My lord man, do you have common decency at all?

the trick is to cook your steak etc to the appropriate internal temp for rare or medium-rare in the sous fide (or just use a sealed plastic bag, a thermometer and a pot of boiling water) and then finish it off with one of those small Butane torches that chefs use for things like Creme Brulee. That results in a steak with a nice slightly charred outside and correctly cooked inside. When it's 40 below C and snowing I'm not firing up the BBQ so this works OK. Not a replacement though I suspect it eliminates some of the issues that the medical community keeps talking about regarding meat exposed for too long to flames as being carcinogenic.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 29 Dec 2019, 20:37:47

IPCC underestimated methane emissions from livestock:

Julie Wolf, Ghassem R. Asrar and Tristram O. West (2017),

"Revised methane emissions factors and spatially distributed annual carbon fluxes for global livestock"

Carbon Balance and Management, 12:16, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13021-017-0084-y

https://cbmjournal.springeropen.com/art ... 017-0084-y

Abstract:

Background
Livestock play an important role in carbon cycling through consumption of biomass and emissions of methane. Recent research suggests that existing bottom-up inventories of livestock methane emissions in the US, such as those made using 2006 IPCC Tier 1 livestock emissions factors, are too low. This may be due to outdated information used to develop these emissions factors. In this study, we update information for cattle and swine by region, based on reported recent changes in animal body mass, feed quality and quantity, milk productivity, and management of animals and manure. We then use this updated information to calculate new livestock methane emissions factors for enteric fermentation in cattle, and for manure management in cattle and swine.

Results
Using the new emissions factors, we estimate global livestock emissions of 119.1 ± 18.2 Tg methane in 2011; this quantity is 11% greater than that obtained using the IPCC 2006 emissions factors, encompassing an 8.4% increase in enteric fermentation methane, a 36.7% increase in manure management methane, and notable variability among regions and sources. For example, revised manure management methane emissions for 2011 in the US increased by 71.8%. For years through 2013, we present (a) annual livestock methane emissions, (b) complete annual livestock carbon budgets, including carbon dioxide emissions, and (c) spatial distributions of livestock methane and other carbon fluxes, downscaled to 0.05 × 0.05 degree resolution.

Conclusions

Our revised bottom-up estimates of global livestock methane emissions are comparable to recently reported top-down global estimates for recent years, and account for a significant part of the increase in annual methane emissions since 2007.

Our results suggest that livestock methane emissions, while not the dominant overall source of global methane emissions, may be a major contributor to the observed annual emissions increases over the 2000s to 2010s.

Differences at regional and local scales may help distinguish livestock methane emissions from those of other sectors in future top-down studies. The revised estimates allow improved reconciliation of top-down and bottom-up estimates of methane emissions, will facilitate the development and evaluation of Earth system models, and provide consistent regional and global Tier 1 estimates for environmental assessments.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Mon 30 Dec 2019, 04:34:18

careinke wrote:Well I just cut out a 21 day, dry cured, grass feed, Prime Rib roast for Christmas. :-D we are going to cure the rest of the side for 45 days before we butcher it. Probably most of you have never eaten dry aged beef, I'm almost certain I have not. We will Sous Vide It, then sear the outside at 500 F. I'll let you know how it is.

BTW we bought the side for $3.00 per pound hanging weight. Grass fed beef is pretty inexpensive if you by from a local farmer and butcher it yourself.

Well I gota say, that was the best prime rib I have ever eaten in my life. It was a six pound prime rib, grass fed, dry cured, piece of heaven. Sous Vide for 6 hours at 130 F, Then quickly seared in the oven at 500 F. The best way I can describe dry aged beef is "richer." It was so good, we decided to finish up butchering the rest of the cow, and send it to "freezer Camp"

We did that today, (except we still need to grind the hamburger). We pulled a few cuts of to try out just using the new Treager pellet smoker/grill thing, and they were awesome. I think we are going to do this more often. Healthy, tender delicious meat, with very few transportation miles, building soil, eating their natural diet, grass not grain. You really can't build a sustainable eco system without grass eaters...
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Yonnipun » Tue 31 Dec 2019, 03:48:49

Our results suggest that livestock methane emissions, while not the dominant overall source of global methane emissions, may be a major contributor to the observed annual emissions increases over the 2000s to 2010s.

Emissions do not heat the planet. Sun does.
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby careinke » Tue 31 Dec 2019, 05:49:48

Yonnipun wrote:

Emissions do not heat the planet. Sun does.

I wonder what the emissions were from the Buffalo when they were at their peak? Or the Mammoth? At least they built soil, lots of it.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Yonnipun » Tue 07 Jan 2020, 18:30:51

Hong Kong has the highest life expectancy in the world
https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/HKG/hong-kong/life-expectancy

Hong Kong has one of the highest meat consumptions in the world
The HKU research shows that Hong Kong has one of the highest meat consumptions per capita in the world at 664g/day/capita (equivalent to two pieces of 10-oz steak). Pork and beef consumption are the highest, with average daily consumption four times higher than the UK.
https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_17940.html
Yonnipun
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 07 Mar 2020, 18:52:35

Here is an article that makes the case we need cattle and new farming techniques to help solve climate change.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEC ... id=US%3Aen
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 08 Mar 2020, 00:26:24

correlationcausation
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby careinke » Sun 08 Mar 2020, 03:58:24

Newfie wrote:Here is an article that makes the case we need cattle and new farming techniques to help solve climate change.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEC ... id=US%3Aen

I believe I've been touting this for the past decade. A person can survive on meat alone, indefinitely. Can you name any other source of food you can do this with?

The benefits of crowd or high intensity grazing are legion. Besides the carbon sequestering, there are numerous other benefits including drastic reduction in the use of chemicals (fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides,etc), flood mitigation (Live soil can absorb 6-10 times more water per hour than plowed fields), Detoxifying rivers, Draught reduction, reducing dead zones , grass fed beef tastes better and is healthier for you, I could go on.

We could eliminate feedlots and all the horrors related to them while producing even more beef. Just eliminate growing cattle feed, get rid of vehicle ethanol programs, and use that land to grow high density grass fed beef. Once the soil repairs itself and builds up you can plant your grain crops (if you like diabetes), in the areas the cows were and let the cattle restore the dead cornfields still left. The corn planted in the new fields will require a lot less chemicals if any at all.

Man fucked this earth up, we should be responsible for repairing it.
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sun 08 Mar 2020, 04:28:19

Well one result from the corona virus will be those on a high carb, grain diet will die in droves. Us meat eating Atkins folks, with our superior immune systems, will sail right through the apocalypse unscathed. Dohboi and his legions of hover-round using grain eaters, will be burned on funeral pyres observable from the space station.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6304312/

There is an increased risk of being hospitalized in adult participants that are underweight or morbidly obese, regardless of their viral pathogen status. Having influenza, however, significantly increases the odds of hospitalization in those who are underweight or morbidly obese.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate