Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 2 (merged)

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 19:39:03

Elon Musk just explained why the unbreakable glass in the windows of his EV truck broke during his demo.

elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-window-glass-broke-explanation

Musk said he hit the door of the car with a sledgehammer first and that broke the unbreakable glass. Then, when the steel balls hit the unbreakable glass it cracked because he had already broken the unbreakable glass----so the steel balls weren't actually to blame for braking the unbreakable glass.

I don't know about you, but I think Elon's excuse is pretty weak. If he broke the unbreakable glass when he hit the door with a hammer rather then he hit the unbreakable glass with a steel ball, the significance is the same: the unbreakable glass isn't actually unbreakable.

EARTH TO ELON MUSK: Its irrelevant whether it was the hammer or the steel balls or both in combination that broke the unbreakable glass....either way it was SMASHED into pieces so it isn't actually unbreakable, in spite of your claims and excuses.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 21:10:26

Plantagenet wrote:Elon Musk just explained why the unbreakable glass in the windows of his EV truck broke during his demo.

elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-window-glass-broke-explanation

Musk said he hit the door of the car with a sledgehammer first and that broke the unbreakable glass. Then, when the steel balls hit the unbreakable glass it cracked because he had already broken the unbreakable glass----so the steel balls weren't actually to blame for braking the unbreakable glass.

I don't know about you, but I think Elon's excuse is pretty weak. If he broke the unbreakable glass when he hit the door with a hammer rather then he hit the unbreakable glass with a steel ball, the significance is the same: the unbreakable glass isn't actually unbreakable.

EARTH TO ELON MUSK: Its irrelevant whether it was the hammer or the steel balls or both in combination that broke the unbreakable glass....either way it was SMASHED into pieces so it isn't actually unbreakable, in spite of your claims and excuses.
Cheers!

I can't recall once when Musk or Tesla has failed that Musk has done a "Buffett" and said something like "Aw shucks. I screwed up" . Instead, it's blame something, anything else, whether that makes sense or not.

One reason Buffett (another billionaire who runs a huge complex corporation) is so dearly loved by so many is his completely self-effacing approach to things. How can you be mad at a guy who basically takes the blame for ANYTHING that goes wrong where he was even peripherally involved, says he'll try to do better next time, and gets on with things. Oh, and pretty much the same when things go really well -- he'll heap praise/credit on others in his organization. Pretty much the OPPOSITE of the Musk glory-hog and hyper marketing approach, it seems to me.

I can't wait to see who/what Musk blames the epic fail of his claims re Tesla's being "full self driving" and Telsa having a "million strong robo-taxi business" that brings so much income to Tesla owners that it makes their Teslas all appreciate wildly in value, in 2020. Or that within 2 years (so April of 2021), Tesla will be making cars without steering wheel or pedals (i.e. true certified level 5 FSD, ready to go in volume, at affordable prices).

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/22/elon-mu ... -year.html

(Big oil conspiracies? Computer conspiracies? Incompetent suppliers of parts? (But NOT Tesla, of course). Or perhaps the "we could do it but we're going to wait because it's not quite perfect) line he tried with one of the cross country promises passed with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show for progress.)

Because:

1). All his other FSD claims have been complete failures re the fully automated cross country drives by the end of 2017, 2018, etc have been epic failures.

2). All indications of his serious competition seeking FSD are way ahead of Musk, and backing off earlier aggressive claims of offering FSD vehicles in the early 2020's, and admitting that it is a VERY HARD problem which will take decades to solve -- and in some cases doubting whether it can EVER be solved for the general case (not strictly geo-fenced, or limited to certain weather conditions, etc.)

What I don't get is that no matter how much clown-car stuff comes out of his mouth, how many times, how irresponsible or even illegal (like "420 funding secured" or "pedo guy"), his MANY backers love him no matter what. (Not sure if it's simple greed, they really believe he is "saving the earth", or it's just classic, epic, stupidity/gullibility).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 21:43:12

Elon does admit mistakes. He admitted the whole "alien dreadnought" thing was a mistake. He admitted the falcon wing doors were a mistake. Of course, up to the point when he capitulates, it's deny, deny, deny.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby frankthetank » Mon 25 Nov 2019, 23:53:04

Not sure if anyone watches the car guy Doug Demuro on YT..but he had a little talk about the truck...he also thinks it's the ugliest car/truck ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-0DdRHA-ZQ&t=1s

With Tesla's talent..they had to have some really excellent designs..

This thing will be years and years away from being built (hopefully never). They keep kicking the roadster back year after year... You hear very little about that thing. That is the carrot they dangle to these people to push Teslas..referral program... a couple of YT'ers have a couple of roadsters coming their way...that is if they even get into production.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GHung » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 10:06:00

Outcast_Searcher wrote:.........

I can't recall once when Musk or Tesla has failed that Musk has done a "Buffett" and said something like "Aw shucks. I screwed up" . Instead, it's blame something, anything else, whether that makes sense or not. .............

Or it could be that Musk is the consummate engineer and problem solver. Unlike you, he sees the blaming process as wasted time and energy. Indeed, I don't recall you being particularly self-critical. Then, again, maybe you are always right about everything (in your own mind).
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 26 Nov 2019, 16:42:15

Tesla update!!!

Two feet of snow today....3 Teslas made it to work. The S is an AWD, I'm pretty sure the 2 3 models are rear wheel drive.

Not too shabby! My EV gets stuck in my driveway with a 1/4 inch of snow, the traction control just basically turns off the power and the car just sits there.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 27 Nov 2019, 15:07:03

asg70 wrote:Elon does admit mistakes. He admitted the whole "alien dreadnought" thing was a mistake. He admitted the falcon wing doors were a mistake. Of course, up to the point when he capitulates, it's deny, deny, deny.

OK. You're right. So just like all famous white collar criminals (aside from the 420 funding secured and pedo guy thing, I'm not saying he's a criminal -- just identifying a class of personalities) I can think of who've been in the news, it's deny, deny, deny until FINALLY, he may capitulate when the evidence is just overwhelming. ON THE RARE OCCASION.

So pretty much the opposite of stellar marks on that score, IMO -- which was my main point. And again, that says even moderately rational observers shouldn't be anywhere near so confident in his wilder assertions, IMO.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 27 Nov 2019, 17:09:29

Outcast_Searcher wrote:even moderately rational observers shouldn't be anywhere near so confident in his wilder assertions, IMO.

Musk always has a running list of etas/claims that are way off. The most recent ones are related to self-driving. Remember the cross-country trip they were supposed to do years ago? It still hasn't happened. And it's hard to make it happen when your autopilot team is suffering so much turnover.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/09/self-dri ... year-musk/

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 27 Nov 2019, 17:24:17

asg70 wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:even moderately rational observers shouldn't be anywhere near so confident in his wilder assertions, IMO.

Musk always has a running list of etas/claims that are way off. The most recent ones are related to self-driving. Remember the cross-country trip they were supposed to do years ago? It still hasn't happened. And it's hard to make it happen when your autopilot team is suffering so much turnover.

https://electrek.co/2019/05/09/self-dri ... year-musk/

Yup. As I've pointed to recently, including the whole huge robo-taxi fleet claim in 2020, which he hasn't backed off of.

I would also include what I call dumb summon, but of course Tesla calls "smart summon", so they can book millions of their FSD spending into revenue -- as if either:

a). Many customers will buy a Tesla because of dumb summon.

b). The state of dumb summon at 0 to 5 mph doesn't show how wildly ridiculous the claims for FSD to the extent of a giant robo-taxi fleet earning Tesla owners $tens of thousands in 2020 is.

And of course, re the failed cross country unassisted assertions, mum's the word from Tesla, since they're now dangling newer, shinier objects.

To me all this wouldn't be so bad if it were just laughed off as stupid "free publicity" stunts by Musk, but a whole horde of Tesla fanbois defend him to the hilt, including believing his FSD claims right down the line. And of course, a large segment of the media and the car buying public isn't sure what to think.
Last edited by Outcast_Searcher on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 17:25:50, edited 1 time in total.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 27 Nov 2019, 17:25:33

dolanbaker wrote:Something tells me that the "hiccup" was staged to gain maximum publicity, after all, no one is really going to buy a vehicle and drive it in area where flying steel balls will be aimed at it.

Obviously you have never heard of peak oil doom! It was a fad a few years back, and those mutant zombie bikers, not having any ammo left, were going to be using slingshots and steel balls for sure!
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 22:26:39

Did anybody else see the news story about the 15 Teslas lined up at a supercharger site over Thanksgiving in California?

They were all off to Grandma’s house for the holiday and suddenly they all needed a change, and they needed it now. So they all went to the Tesla supercharger site....at the same time.

There were 15 of them lined up, waiting for a charge. But it takes each car about 40-90 minutes to get a charge, depending on how complete a charge you get.

Lets do the math—-15 Teslas times ca. 60 minutes for each change means ca. 900 minutes to get the last Tesla charged! Wait a minute...that means it will take ca. 15 HOURS of WAITING IN LINE!!!!!

NOW lets do it in a POEM!

15 little Teslas waiting in a line
Except for needing a charge everything is fine
But if each charge takes an hour to do
The people in the back of the line are screwed
They’ll never get their charge in time
They’re doomed to spend Thanksgiving waiting in line.

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 22:55:07

Plantagenet wrote:Lets do the math—-15 Teslas times ca. 60 minutes for each change means ca. 900 minutes to get the last Tesla charged! Wait a minute...that means it will take ca. 15 HOURS of WAITING IN LINE!!!!!

CHEERS!

Thank GOODNESS someone invented these things called "garages". Turns out, the one advantage they have over a super charger is....no waiting!!

I've stopped at a couple Supercharger stations before, Richfield UT at a hotel, Cambridge Ohio at a Sheetz convenience store, Limon Colorado right across from a gas station and behind a fast food restaurant. The density of Tesla's is those non-California places look to be far lower than the California folks, they are generally empty.

Jut imagine how much emissions they weren't emitted compared to the jet setting types though. :) I'd feel bad for the Californians except...they are Californians... :(

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 23:04:40

AdamB wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Lets do the math—-15 Teslas times ca. 60 minutes for each change means ca. 900 minutes to get the last Tesla charged! Wait a minute...that means it will take ca. 15 HOURS of WAITING IN LINE!!!!!

CHEERS!

Thank GOODNESS someone invented these things called "garages". Turns out, the one advantage they have over a super charger is....no waiting!!

Gosh....I wonder why none of the people in the 15 Teslas waiting in line to get recharged thought of charging their car in their own garage?

Wait....could it be that they were actually trying to use their Teslas to go on an intercity trip so they couldn’t return home to own garage?

I bet thats it. I know its hard to imagine but I bet those poor folks in the 15 Teslas waiting in line for a supercharger actually believed all the hype about EVs being suitable for intercity trips and travelled so far from home they couldn’t get back to their own garages.

Hahahahahahah! I bet they won’t make that mistake again!!! :-D :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: 8) 8) :-D :-D :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll: :razz: :razz: 8) 8)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 23:43:52

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:Thank GOODNESS someone invented these things called "garages". Turns out, the one advantage they have over a super charger is....no waiting!!

Gosh....I wonder why none of the people in the 15 Teslas waiting in line to get recharged thought of charging their car in their own garage?

Goodness knows. We are talking about folks who build homes on top of active fault zones and then act surprised when they get killed by earthquakes. The smart ones build up in the hills, in fire zones, and then act surprised when entire towns are incinerated. And then the seasonal rains come and they drown in mudslides, because the fires took out all the vegetation holding the soil together. And don't even get me started on the Salton Sea!

Rather than worrying the inconsequential consequences of being a silly-willy Californian, maybe we can worry about their real problems!! Did you know, they made it illegal for people to kill each other with firearms, and they refused to stop even though it was illegal! yes, illegal, and they did it anyway!

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 23:52:55

Tragedy of the commons write large. Superchargers are put in place to cover average usage, not spikes when every EV user in the area jumps in their cars and road trips at the exact same time. EV owners should not expect to be able to do those sorts of trips. It's not the end of the world and is a poor thing to seize on for FUD. Ain't gonna kill suburbia, folks.

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 01 Dec 2019, 23:59:04

asg70 wrote:Tragedy of the commons write large. Superchargers are put in place to cover average usage, not spikes when every EV user in the area jumps in their cars and road trips at the exact same time.

Ahhh..why'd you have to go all logical and practical when Planty is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and make up fake problems?

asg70 wrote: EV owners should not expect to be able to do those sorts of trips. It's not the end of the world and is a poor thing to seize on for FUD. Ain't gonna kill suburbia, folks.

It was so silly, I didn't think anyone but Armageddon would seize on it as any serious FUD.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 01:56:19

AdamB wrote:Planty is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and make up fake problems?

And Addy is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and call people names and claim that things that actually happened are made up and fake?

The news story of the 15 Teslas forced to wait in line for hours to use a supercharger is 100% true and here is a link, complete with photographic evidence:

15-Teslas-wait-line-charged-California-Thanksgiving

It actually happens quite often---here is a photo of another site with lined up Teslas waiting for hours to use a supercharger:

I'm sorry, Addy, but you aren't Donald Trump. You can't claim that things that actually happened are "fake" just because you don't like reality. Or rather you when you do then expect to be called out for lying, you liar.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:11:22

AdamB wrote:Ahhh..why'd you have to go all logical and practical when Planty is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and make up fake problems?

Yep, and as you can see above, once he's wound up he just ignores all replies and continues to post on the topic for the next few weeks like a wind-up toy. Classic FUD NPC.

Listen, Plant:

BOLD PREDICTIONS

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 11:49:15

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:Planty is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and make up fake problems?

And Addy is obviously in one of those BS modes to troll and call people names and claim that things that actually happened are made up and fake?

You read what asg70 wrote. There is no need for me to elaborate, while your trolling generally falls into the class of "cutesy puerile", asg70 had this one pegged immediately.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 02 Dec 2019, 13:27:10

AdamB wrote:You read what asg70 wrote.

Nope---you are making things up again. I don't read most posts by asg/ennu/mos....I've had asg/mos/ennui blocked for years because that poster only rarely makes interesting or informative posts. That poster has been repeatedly banned at this site and has even changed posting names to sneak back after being banned, and IMHO is mainly interested in attacking other posters.

AdamB wrote:... your trolling ....

One of the easiest ways to identify internet trolls is that they disrupt internet sites by calling other people trolls. You seem to fit that pattern, Addy.

--------------------------------------

The latest thing you are ever so wee-wee'd up about, as I see it, is that I posted a factual news story, with links and photos, about Teslas facing long lines at charging stations---lines so long it takes them many hours to get a charge------and some little quirk in your mind did't allow you to deal with that reality so labeled it "fake news" ala Trump. And then, not satisfied with that lie, you had to pile on with personal ad hom attacks.

Really, you should get a grip. In the real world Teslas and other EVs are encountering very long lines at some charging stations, particularly on holidays when lots of people try to all travel at the same time. For instance:

The-surprising-moment-15-Teslas-wait-line-charged-California-Thanksgiving

Its just a fact that there are sometimes traffic jams of Tesla superchargers with long lines. When you lie about it it doesn't change that fact---it just shows you are a liar. Instead of lying about it and calling people names and starting a nasty little fight over it, I suggest you just accept reality as it is. I don't know why you lie about things that are clearly true, but please stop. It will make discussing news items a heck of lot simpler if you stop the blatant dishonesty.

Cheers! 8) :roll:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology