Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Animated Data Showing Oil Production by Country 1900-2018

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Animated Data Showing Oil Production by Country 1900-2018

Unread postby mmasters » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 00:32:51

Thought this youtube video was cool and appropriate here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0kbIsuTUw
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Animated Data Showing Oil Production by Country 1900-201

Unread postby EdwinSm » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 03:15:12

Thanks. That was a good reminder of history, and how things changed.

ps. it took me about half a century to work out the colours used were roughly according to continent !
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 13:12:58

Interesting, I had not realized Egypt was even in the picture in the 1930's and 40's.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 13:55:46

Interesting, I had not realized Egypt was even in the picture in the 1930's and 40's.

It's an interesting bit of history. Oil seeps were well known along the western side of the Gulf of Suez in the Gemsa area. Small discoveries were made in the early twentieth century but it wasn't until 1931 that the Hurghada field in the southern Gulf of Suez margin was discovered. Hurghada was the sight of a Club Med back in the late eighties to the chagrin of the Muslim Brotherhood and later became a destination location for plane loads of obnoxious German tourists who are identifiable by the sea of beach chairs adorned with "reservation" towels each morning. It also was the site where US Navy ships took shore leave during Gulf War I which ended up creating no end of problems..(imagine 18 year old sailors, $1 dollar non-pasteurized quarts of beer and german female tourists, a sure recipe for disaster). In the late thirties, Ras Gharib field also in the Gemsa area and quite close to Hurghada was discovered and between the two fields (with smaller additions from other discoveries to the north and on the Sinai) Egypt became a significant producer by 1939 at 5.9 MMbbls/d.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 19 Nov 2019, 20:31:26

mmasters wrote:Thought this youtube video was cool and appropriate here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ0kbIsuTUw

The graphic, at least for the US, would appear to be incorrect. EIA doesn't have the US cracking 10 million a day anywhere back in the 20th century, yet the graphic shows the US not just hitting 10 million a day, but more than 11 million a day back in the early 1970's.

It is a neat graphic but people really should get the data right before throwing it out there and getting it wrong.

The US is currently making maybe 12+ million a day, this thing says the US is making 15+ million a day in 2018.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 20 Nov 2019, 19:18:21

I think this is a VERY cool way to show the history of any set of reliable numbers changing. You get a much better sense of the history than from looking at static charts IMO.

It's kind of amazing, the level of change that goes on with things when you're not paying much attention, re a variety of these I viewed on topics as simple as music genre popularity changes.

Yet ANOTHER useful thing made possible by computers! Whodathunkit? :)
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Wed 20 Nov 2019, 23:58:07

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 21 Nov 2019, 17:43:33

T - Think about this for a second: with the Germans fighting a big war in Europe with the allies and eventually the Russians why would the commit so much resources to North Africa and specifically Egypt.

Adam: I won't spend time beating on the numbers. But beyond those stats think about control of the global oil market. Before the 1960's the US (thanks to the Texas Rail Road Commission) controlled the oil export market as well as oil prices regardless of exactly how much we produced. That all changed when the Middle East oil fields began to be developed.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 12 Dec 2019, 16:40:02

ROCKMAN wrote:T - Think about this for a second: with the Germans fighting a big war in Europe with the allies and eventually the Russians why would the commit so much resources to North Africa and specifically Egypt.

I had always thought the reason was to capture or close the Suez canal and make shipping cargo to the UK more difficult and expensive as part of the war effort. The fact that Egypt in 1940 was a significant oil supplier would have just been the icing on the cake, as it were.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Peak Oil Discussion