Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 4

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 22:24:49

Even as he was hospitalized, he was busy until the end.

Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "As I was paying my respects to our forever Chairman, his staff told me that in his final hours he signed subpoenas to USCIS and ICE, pursuing justice for immigrants in my district & across the country with chronic medical conditions. A man of his word every moment of his life. https://t.co/igzUPl1yPF" / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has some of my favorite tributes to him. Like
The Last Word on Twitter: "WATCH: @AOC remembers her time working aside Rep. Elijah Cummings and what it was like to have him welcome her onto the House Oversight Committee. https://t.co/wYiCwUgUzq" / Twitter
"The complete honor of a lifetime" - he was interested in whether AOC was willing to champion vulnerable people, to bring truth to light, and to speak truth to power. He was also the opposite of Congress's seniority-dominated culture, in wanting all the freshmen in his committee. AOC recalls him being an excellent teacher for these new members.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Instagram: “Chairman Elijah Cummings was a hero. Just watch any video of him in any hearing and you will understand the power, dignity, and moral…”
"Despite having so much stature and power, he had absolutely zero ego. None. He constantly looked to uplift the communities and people whose stories were overlooked and underserved. He was tough and compassionate, and always reminded people that they were never too late to do good."

Some time earlier:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "He looked right at me & said: “I am going to ask you plainly: Are you here to do the work?” People’s lives are at stake in urgent ways on Oversight. He demanded excellence, & was watching my every word. I said “Yes” &made my best case incl why & how I wanted to be on the cmte." / Twitter
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 22:38:08

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "So some day, if a Democrat becomes President and the Republicans win the House, even by a tiny margin, they can impeach the President, without due process or fairness or any legal rights. All Republicans must remember what they are witnessing here - a lynching. But we will WIN!" / Twitter

Which strikes me as belligerent and undignified self-pity. That's what makes his remark about Elijah Cummings seem so out of character. Trump likens impeachment probe to lynching, Democrats and some Republicans express disgust - The Washington Post

Then this happened.

Laura Cooper depostion: Following Republicans storming room, Defense official testifies in impeachment inquiry - CNNPolitics

Republicans Stormed Into The Impeachment Investigation's Secure Room On Capitol Hill
Notably, according to a list provided by Gaetz's office of the Republicans who RSVP'd to join the protest, 12 of them are members of the Oversight or Foreign Affairs committees — including Rep. Jim Jordan, the ranking member on the Oversight Committee — meaning they have been allowed to sit in on all depositions held in the SCIF in recent weeks. A spokesperson for Rep. Ken Buck, who is on the list and serves on the Foreign Affairs Committee, however, later clarified that he did not attend, though he tweeted in support.

Rep. Fred Keller, an Oversight member who joined the protest, "was acting in solidarity with those members of Congress who are not allowed in the hearings, to review testimony, or read transcripts of this secret inquiry. ... [He] believes the way this inquiry is being conducted is unfair and it needs to stop," according to a spokesperson.

The protest Wednesday is the latest in a line of complaints from GOP lawmakers, who have argued that they are being cut out of the impeachment inquiry and that Democrats are holding hearings in secret. That’s not the case.

Some of these "protesters" even brought in their cellphones, a no-no there.

Fox News reported that some source claims that some of these "gentlemen" wanted to be arrested. Which provoked this response:
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "There have been many aspects of the GOP’s little flash mob that have relied on mountains of entitlement and privilege, but them *asking* the police to be arrested is just...

Well, let’s just say my community would find it hard to understand why *anyone* would ask to be arrested." / Twitter
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 23:02:11

lpetrich wrote:Trump likens impeachment probe to lynching, Democrats ... express disgust - The Washington Post

I wonder why Ds weren't disgusted when Bill Clinton likened his impeachment to a lynching. I guess its OK when a D says it.

lpetrich wrote: ...Democrats are holding hearings in secret. That’s not the case.

Of course the hearings are secret. No one who is not on the committee is allowed in the hearings. No press is allowed in the room. There is no television coverage from these hearings, i.e. they are being done in secret.

Do you get it now?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 23:35:21

Most recently, Maxine Waters, head of the House Banking Committee, had some hearings about Facebook's planned cryptocurrency Libra.

Though some of the politicians stayed on topic, like a Republican who asked why it is in Switzerland and not in the US, many others went off on a variety of tangents.

Rep. Katie Porter described how Facebook employs a lot of contractors who have to look at a lot of video of murders and stabbings and suicides and the like, all without psychological assistance and for low pay. She asked Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg whether he would be willing to try doing what they were doing. MZ didn't see the point of doing so, and I'm guessing that KP was asking him if he'd be willing to experience what some of his employees, er, contractors have to go through.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez questioned MZ about how much he knew about FB's involvement with Cambridge Analytica, and he claimed that he didn't know much about that. She also asked him about political ads that make false claims about when Election Day is, a technique that has been used for voter suppression. He claimed that FB would reject those. She also asked him more generally about outright lying in political ads, and he claimed that his company would not reject them. Even when she gave the example of claiming that some Republican supports her Green New Deal. Maxine Waters also slammed him about political ads with outright lies.

AOC later noted that MZ did not seem to know that Republicans oppose her GND, and that he did not even ask about it. She is also suspicious about FB and CA and the far right - was MZ really that ignorant of those connections? She notes that the committee will be giving FB some further questions, and that a much-requested question was that if FB was not willing to do the necessary fact checking, then why not ban political ads outright?
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 23:40:00

lpetrich wrote:... if FB was not willing to do the necessary fact checking, then why not ban political ads outright?

Jeez what a naive question.

Facebook makes a lot of money selling political ads. If they banned all of them, or even just banned those deemed untrue, then Facebook would make less money----and the goal of Facebook is to make money.

TV and newspapers operate on the same principle. They make money every time an ad runs....and often more for political ads because ad rates go up as election day approaches and the demand for ad time increase.

Get it now?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 00:27:11

Plantagenet wrote:
lpetrich wrote:... if FB was not willing to do the necessary fact checking, then why not ban political ads outright?

Jeez what a naive question.

Facebook makes a lot of money selling political ads. If they banned all of them, or even just banned those deemed untrue, then Facebook would make less money----and the goal of Facebook is to make money.

So anything goes when it comes to making money? No matter how unscrupulous or crooked or criminal it is? Is defamation completely legitimate?

So if some newspaper made big money off of some false story that you committed some horrible crimes, you wouldn't object? Even if the newspaper's publishers knew that it was false?
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 00:35:59

Defamation = general term for libel and slander. Libel = written, slander = spoken, and some electronic media blur the line between them.

Think of the possibilities. Imagine someone taking out ads in Facebook defaming President Trump with demonstrably false assertions. Like saying that he has agreed with Vladimir Putin to let Russia rig the 2020 elections so that he can have a second term and that the Republicans can win big in the House and the Senate. Or that he has agreed to pull American troops out of Europe and let Russia dominate it. Or pull American troops out of South Korea and let North Korea annex it.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 00:51:06

How AOC turned boring congressional hearings into electrifying moments | Poppy Noor | US news | The Guardian
Starting off with her questioning of Mike Zuckerberg, like his curious ignorance about the Cambridge Analytica data-breach scandal.

Continuing with:
1. ExxonMobil - "they knew"
2. White terrorism - double standard
3. Corporate Pac money - showing how corrupt one can be
4. Green New Deal - some righteous fury - “You want to tell people that their desire for clean air and water is elitist? … I don’t think so.”
I'd add her questioning of Michael Cohen.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 02:25:22

Some years back, the Tea Party turned "primary" into a verb from its efforts to defeat other Republicans in election primaries. Now the Democrats are doing it.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the most spectacular example, having defeated a 10-term incumbent in 2018, but there are several others, and several more efforts to have similar successes. Her success has led to several others being compared to her.

Ballotpedia ("the Encyclopedia of American Politics") has lots of details.

• Ro Khanna (D-CA) beat 8-term incumbent Mike Honda in 2016
  • Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) won in 2016
  • AOC (D-NY) beat 10-term incumbent Joe Crowley in 2018
  • Ayanna Pressley (D-MA) beat 10-term incumbent Michael Capuano in 2018
  • Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) won in 2018
  • Ilhan Omar (D-MN) won in 2018
  • Lauren Underwood (D-IL) won in 2018
  • Deb Haaland (D-NM) won in 2018
  • Sharice Davids (D-KS) beat 4-term incumbent Kevin Yoder in 2018
Earlier this year, the documentary "Knock Down the House" was released, chronicling the efforts of AOC and three other women in their runs for public office:
  • Cori Bush failed to beat 9-term incumbent William Lacy Clay (D-MO) in 2018, getting 37% of the vote
  • Paula Swearengin failed to beat 4-term incumbent Joe Manchin III (D-WV) in 2018, getting 30% of the vote
  • Amy Vilela failed to win the primary in 2018, getting 9% of the vote
Cori Bush and Paula Swearengin will be trying again in 2020, and Amy Vilela is campaigning for Bernie Sanders instead, though she may try again in 2022.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 08:17:22

Some of the races:
  • Marie Newman is challenging 8-term incumbent Dan Lipinski (D-IL)
  • Jessica Cisneros is challenging 8-term incumbent Henry Cuellar (D-TX)
  • Melanie D'Arrigo is challenging 2-term incumbent Tom Suozzi (D-NY)
  • Alex Morse is challenging 16-term incumbent Richard Neal (D-MA)
  • Mckayla Wilkes and Briana Urbana are challenging 20-term incumbent Steny Hoyer (D-MD)
  • Agatha Bacelar, Shahid Buttar, and Tom Gallagher are challenging 17-term incumbent Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)

Marie Newman had ran in 2018, but she barely lost to Dan Lipinski. This time at least, she has lots of endorsements - Endorsements - Marie Newman for Congress - and she may make it this time.

Despite her prominence, AOC has been cautious in choosing which fellow Democrats to challenge, selecting only those who seem much too conservative for mainly-Democratic districts: Dan Lipinski and Henry Cuellar. Even for the latter one, she was cautious, endorsing Jessica Cisneros only after EMILY's List did so.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 13:32:29

lpetrich wrote:4. Green New Deal - some righteous fury - “You want to tell people that their desire for clean air and water is elitist? … I don’t think so.”

Take ALL the BS in the green new deal about liberal talking points having nothing to do with green energy, and then get back to us. It may not be "elitist", but with all that other crap in it, it sure as hell isn't genuine.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 20:12:59

How the Ds cope with the homeless problem in NYC

nyc-secretly-shipping-homeless-people-over-350-cities-including-honolulu-houston

Yup...they just secretly buy them a plane or bus ticket to somewhere else, give them some cash and say....bye bye! They literally disappear them. And it doesn't even work..... New York has shipped thousands and thousands of people to other cities and there are still more homeless people in NYC now then there ever have been. Sheesh!

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 07:44:38

Here is a commentator postulating that Obama would not get the nomination today, he is not “woke” or “left” enough.

https://issuesinsights.com/2019/11/04/b ... ke-enough/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Nov 2019, 08:56:15

Waiting for paint to dry, cake across this.

Jessie Ventura wins Minnesota Governors race.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/05/us/t ... upset.html

Maybe we need Jessie once again. DRAFT JESSIE!

He was described as a “radical centrist.”

Radical centrism (also called the radical center/centre or radical middle) is a political ideology that arose in the Western nations in the late 20th century. At first it was defined in a variety of ways, but at the beginning of the 21st century a number of political science texts gave it a more developed cast.[1][2]

The radical in the term refers to a willingness on the part of most radical centrists to call for fundamental reform of institutions.[3] The centrism refers to a belief that genuine solutions require realism and pragmatism, not just idealism and emotion.[4] One radical centrist text defines radical centrism as "idealism without illusions",[5] a phrase originally from John F. Kennedy.[6]

Radical centrists typically borrow ideas from the left, the right, and elsewhere, often melding them together.[1] Most support market-based solutions to social problems with strong governmental oversight in the public interest.[7] There is support for increased global engagement and the growth of an empowered middle class in developing countries.[8] Many radical centrists work within the major political parties, but also support independent or third-party initiatives and candidacies.[9]
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 06 Nov 2019, 09:45:52

Warren has a bit in the Guardian slamming Trump for pulling out of the Paris Accords, for being a climate denialist.

But then goes on to promote her $2 trillion dollar Green Manufacturing Plan and a Green Marshall Plan of unspecified value.

In my book this make me her a bigger problem than Trump. She puppets to know how to fix CC, and it’s through growing the economy. That is capitalist nonsense, shows no true understanding of our dilemma. She is leading folks down a rosy path, lying.

My Green Manufacturing Plan will jumpstart clean energy development right here in the United States by investing $2tn to grow clean energy at home and abroad, while creating millions of new, good paying, union jobs. And my Green Marshall Plan would directly assist countries abroad to buy American-made clean energy products, further expanding markets for green manufacturing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby sparky » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 18:04:27

This year Australia had a federal election , the Labor party was heading for a sweeping victory
they lost , big time ,

there was a change of leader and a committee was set up to look for the lessons of this crushing loss
it just has been published
this is also applicable to many left of center political parties

the ex leader was characterized as unpopular , the program as expensive and confused
but then some more digging revealed other deeper reasons

"Labor’s once formidable campaign machine collapsed under the weight of its own hubris.
It failed to reconcile its own internal tracking showing a serious problem with its primary vote and that of the published polls suggesting a confident victory.
None of this was communic­ated to Bill Shorten’s team, which was convinced up until polling day that it was headed for a sizeable victory."

as a labor unionist stated in a report after the 204 election disaster
"“There was a time when our unambiguous defense of workers’ jobs and their livelihoods was seen as progressive, admired and respected,” that report said.
“What has changed over this period is the people running the Labor Party machine — the apparatchiks, advisers and politicians —
are no longer attuned to the basic aspirations of honest working men and women but sing
to a completely misguided (and electorally wrong) tune that seeks to appease the unappeasable.

“They place their faith … in the shallow and cheap propaganda of a wealthy, inner-city elite
which has a barely concealed contempt for a bunch of workers from the bush or outer suburbs.”

"the report warns of Labor’s indulgence of identity politics.
“The mobilisation of the Labor Party to address the political grievances of this vast and disparate constituency has accelerated
it has become the natural home for these diverse interests and concerns
including gender equality, the LGBTQI+ community, racial equality and environmentalism.”

at the same time as many people who would have been regarded as traditional Labor voters have looked to Labor for answers to their problems,” it says.
“Working people experiencing the dislocation caused by new technologies and globalisation could lose faith in Labor
if they do not believe Labor is responding to their issues but is focusing on issues not of concern to them or, in some cases, are actively against their interests.

“Care needs to be taken to avoid Labor becoming a grievance-focused organisation.
This approach leads to a culture of moving from one issue to the next, leading to the formulation of myriad policies that respond to a broad range of grievances.

“This dilemma is not limited to the Australian Labor Party but is faced in similar form by left-of-centre parties around the world
… it cannot be resolved simply by choosing one constituency over another. Labor cannot abandon its commitment to social justice
but it must reconnect with low-income voters in the outer suburbs and regions.”

The challenge can be met only if the party admits the problem exists in the first place, the report finds.

At least they didn't blame the Russians :razz:
sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 07 Nov 2019, 18:05:50

Michael Bloomberg has people out getting signatures for him so he can get the primary ballot. It looks like Bloomberg is going to enter the D democratic primary race

michael-bloomberg-prepares-enter-presidential-race]

I'm not sure how much appetite there is in the D party for another billionaire running for the D nomination. They've already got billionaire Tom Steyer running in the D primary and now add in Bloomberg for billionaire number 2.

Of course billionaires have a built in advantage because they don't have waste time fundraising from other billionaires. And the MSM is mainly controlled by D billionaires like Bezos at the Washington Post, and the D billionaires who control the media will probably be pretty friendly to the D billionaires running for prez as Ds.

There's even a chance now the Ds will wind up with a Steyer-Bloomberg or a Bloomberg-Steyer ticket to run against Trump. And you know what they say....two D billionaires are better then one R billionaire.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 21:24:56

Now former Gov Deval Patrick is entering the D presidential race. Patrick, sometimes referred to as obama's "mini-me" is a close friend and political ally of Obama, so it will be interesting to see if he evokes Obama or promises to keep Obamacare as he runs in an attempt to rekindle Obama's magic from 2008 and 2012.

election/former-mass-gov-deval-patrick-announce-presidential-bid

Who knows....maybe Obama will even endorse his old friend Deval. That would be interesting!

Obama and his "mini-me" Deval Patrick.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 05:13:13

Amazing the number of clowns you can fit in a car.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 14 Nov 2019, 05:25:54

And we still have almost a year of this ahead of us.

Yesterday I saw some quotes for Hillary that she is thinking of jumping back in.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion