Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Cali blackouts coming

Re: Cali blackouts coming

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 00:36:23

jedrider wrote: I'm in the bay area and safe for now, but our turn may come, too.

Depends where you live. If you're living in the urban-forest interface in Marin or the East Bay or somewhere like that you are probably likely to see some fire activity in your area eventually as global warming continues and more and more forests burn in coming years. If you are living in downtown San Francisco or some other urban core then forest fires are less of a concern for you.

Good luck. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

Cheers!

PS: Try to avoid giving the hardcore pan-handlers any money. They get free meals and can also get vouchers for medical services and hotels etc. from various social agencies. They only panhandle to get money for drugs and alcohol, so when you give money to a pan handler in many cases you are facilitating their drug addiction. If you you feel you must help them, then offer to buy them a hamburger or something.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 07:24:08

Once, long ago, there was a young lady with a baby pan handling for money for nappies. Wife wants to give her some. I convinced her to offer to buy the nappies instead. We made the offer of actual nappies...and a got nasty including the f bomb.

I’m not convinced that climate change is responsible for the California fires. It may very well play a role in it, just not a major role. The far more likely scenario is that it is a conjunction of poor housing choices and deferred maintenance and poor construction practices by the utility.

Both of these causes come about by folks trying to over reach financially. One the one hand buy a bigger, fancier house rather than one that is well thought out and survivable. They buy what is kool, not what is practicable. And on the other hand to skimp in installation and maintenance costs to maximize the short term profits. They take the money and run.

California is grossly over populated as it is. The solution here is akin to the SLR discussion, the solution is retreat. Let Nature have its space, learn to live with it. When you do build build with quality and for longevity. Then maintain what you have built.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 14:28:56

Newfie wrote:Once, long ago, there was a young lady with a baby pan handling for money for nappies. Wife wants to give her some. I convinced her to offer to buy the nappies instead. We made the offer of actual nappies...and a got nasty including the f bomb.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. Like when people tell you they need money for gas to get to a funeral of some relative. (Common ploy at post offices at night, I've found). Once you've heard the line 20 or more times, and seen it delivered in movies, etc. -- it's pretty obvious that panhandlers very often aren't what they try to portray.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 14:32:20

Meantime California is getting de-energized, as their government claim:
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/472068-califor ... -dystopia/
But why not?
Lets de-energize California.
That will be a fun.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 14:41:48

EnergyUnlimited wrote:Meantime California is getting de-energized, as their government claim:
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/472068-califor ... -dystopia/
But why not?
Lets de-energize California.
That will be a fun.

Well, given how unreliable power, with power being out for days at a time aside from the VERY rare event due to horrendous weather being something that is usually thought of as third world conditions, it's hard to blame people for not liking the situation.

OTOH, in the real world, things must be PAID FOR. If a higher power bill is required for consistently reliable power delivery, will Californians pay the bill, or whine about it and expect government to "do something" about it?

"Something for nothing" economics only works until you run out of other peoples' money (whether suing them for it or getting government to redistribute it to buy votes). Eventually, physical reality WILL intercede, and the bills must be paid.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 14:58:14

Outcast_Searcher wrote:OTOH, in the real world, things must be PAID FOR. If a higher power bill is required for consistently reliable power delivery, will Californians pay the bill, or whine about it and expect government to "do something" about it?

"Something for nothing" economics only works until you run out of other peoples' money (whether suing them for it or getting government to redistribute it to buy votes). Eventually, physical reality WILL intercede, and the bills must be paid.

But can they pay for it at all?
They already have urban sanitation emergencies with city streets being public toilets.
They will have to pay for fighting with emerging typhoid epidemic, tens of millions of rats breeding in cities like mad.
There is a risk of bubonic plague making a come back.
And soon enough millions of Californians will demand sex change surgeries and these also need to be paid for.
Millions of LA migrants will need housing too.
Mexican drug cartels are invading and setting their networks there...
From what I can see, California is heading towards Venezuela like setup.
Blackouts are only one of many problems there.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 16:12:09

EnergyUnlimited wrote:They already have urban sanitation emergencies with city streets being public toilets.

Thats because the Ds in California won't enforce the laws against public pooping

EnergyUnlimited wrote:They will have to pay for fighting with emerging typhoid epidemic, tens of millions of rats breeding in cities like mad. There is a risk of bubonic plague making a come back.

Thats because the Ds in California don't care about things like sanitation and disease transmission.

EnergyUnlimited wrote:And soon enough millions of Californians will demand sex change surgeries and these also need to be paid for.
Millions of LA migrants will need housing too.
Mexican drug cartels are invading and setting their networks there...

I agree 100%, EU.....The Ds in California actually do support those things, so thats where the money goes.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 18:47:46

They COULD require the homeless to do some public service for their upkeep. Send them out along the power lines with machetes to clear brush. Give them pooper scoopers and buckets with brushes to clean the sidewalks. In short put them to work.

I don’t know what you do about the drug users. I’m afraid there is no “humanitarian” answer. If they can not contribute to society then is society required to care for them?

This is an evolution of lifeboat ethics. There was a time in humanities last when these answers were clear cut. If you could not contribute to the tribe out you went. Not always, there is evidence of tribes keeping the infirm alive for long periods. Maybe they had some special knowledge that made them valuable, or maybe they found ways to contribute despite their disability. But frequently when someone was no longer a net asset they were cut loose.

That we don’t have that attitude in recent Western culture is indicative of our Recent caloric richness, we could afford to be generous.

The time will come when that generosity will dry up.

Remember, nature has no morality, all morals are situational, whatever we do at the time will be deemed to be “moral” and in keeping with the natural order.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 14:36:09

One of the more crazy things the Ds in California did was fight to limit the width of cleared areas around power lines in order to protect the trees.

pge-Sierra-Club-power-lines

PG&E is regulated by the California public utilities commission, which is controlled by Ds. The state mandated distance between trees and power line in California is 4 feet. Thats just not enough space....falling trees hit the power lines and cause fires. But when PG & E proposed creating a wider distance, the Ds prevented it. As one point several years ago the california legislature actually passed bill requiring PG & E to create wider safe spaces around their transmission lines.....and the D governor vetoed it. The state has mandated that electrical utilities spend billions on alternative energy....money that might have been spent on making their electrical transmission lines safer.

This is a classic case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. I'm sure the Ds in California had the best of intentions when they fought to save trees and limit the wide of cleared zones around power transmission lines. But the result has been making the hell of making forest fires worse.

I hope no one is cutting any trees around power lines......

Most of these fires seemed to be triggered by trees falling into power lines and bringing down a line. I know it makes environmentalists sad when even a single tree gets cut down, but by fighting against PG & E and the other utilities removing trees around their power lines, they have inadvertently set the stage for some of these forest fires.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 14:42:12

Plantagenet wrote: But the result has been making the hell of making forest fires worse.

I hope no one is cutting any trees around power lines......

Most of these fires seemed to be triggered by trees falling into power lines and bringing down a line. I know it makes environmentalists sad when even a single tree gets cut down, but by not allowing PG & E and the other utilities to remove trees around their power lines, they have inadvertently set the stage for some of these forest fires.

Looking at that hell reminds me that vast areas of previously really nice places to live (much less marginal places) are becoming highly risky places to live for anyone willing to look at reality and consider things a few decades (or more) ahead.

Florida (flooding) and major parts of CA, (fires and landslides) are just two obvious examples.

If we weren't at 7.7 billion people and likely heading to 9 to 11 billion fairly soon, that might be no big deal -- just move (and deal with the economic consequences, of course). But how many people can the livable zones support if the planet becomes meaningfully more hostile?

(And I know, deniers will claim everything gets better because plants love CO2, yadda yadda, and science be damned).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 15:15:45

Plantagenet wrote:PG&E is regulated by the California public utilities commission, which is controlled by Ds. The state mandated distance between trees and power line in California is 4 feet. Thats just not enough space....falling trees hit the power lines and cause fires. But when PG & E proposed creating a wider distance, the Ds prevented it. As one point several years ago the california legislature actually passed bill requiring PG & E to create wider safe spaces around their transmission lines.....and the D governor vetoed it. The state has mandated that electrical utilities spend billions on alternative energy....money that might have been spent on making their electrical transmission lines safer.

Base on overall achievements on many different fronts I am confident to assert that liberals are really a death cult.
Maybe their leaders are even aware of it?
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate