Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Blame Canada

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Blame Canada

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 14:48:16

Canadians have started a new ad campaign to convince the world to buy oil from Canadian tars sands and shale. The new sales pitch: buy Canadian oil because lesbians are hot.

hot-lesbian-ad-gets-canadian-oil-sands-more-publicity-it-deserves]

That makes sense---Lesbians are hot so get out there and buy Canadian oil? Well that sure convinces me.

Sign me up. Where can I buy some Canadian oil?
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: Blame Canada

Unread postby ennui2 » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 15:16:40

A topic from Planty about blaming?

How novel.
"If the oil price crosses above the Etp maximum oil price curve within the next month, I will leave the forum." --SumYunGai (9/21/2016)
ennui2
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 15:24:36

A post by eenie with no information, no content, and no purpose other than an attack on another poster?

How typical. :lol:

------------------------------------

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 17:19:49

Hey! I'm half Canadian and I totally get it!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby efarmer » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 18:31:15

Good folks those Canadians, nasty stuff those tar sands.
Some poor advertising person had to figure out how to
make a pitch for pitch.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 18:37:08

efarmer wrote:Good folks those Canadians, nasty stuff those tar sands.
Some poor advertising person had to figure out how to
make a pitch for pitch.

+1. hahahahahah

A "pitch for pitch'. LOL.

Yup---thats an advertising man's nightmare right there.

No wonder the Canadians fell back on the old "use the hot lesbians" advertising trick. That works every time. :)
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EdwinSm » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 04:08:14

Interesting in rising moral questions/dilemmas about our disregard of human rights in our pursuit of cheap energy. *

I was interested that Zero Hedge focused on the sexual aspect :-D :) of the question and not on the one of supporting dictators. :roll: Maybe they felt the adverts were hitting to close to home and needed to change the subject.

* In my youth I went to a protest camp against nuclear power [and in the 40 or so years since they still have not found and implemented safe ways of dealing with the waste - but that is another story] and one of the challenges I took away from that was "don't protest against a power station being built, unless you are willing to reduce the power you use."

- - - -
On considered thought I think we should start a campaign, blowing the trump loudly, to get a wall built between Canada and the USA to keep those pretty women out, paid for from the profits of the tar sands
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 07:52:22

Newfie - Which half...the upper or lower part of you? LOL.

Seems like the big issue still isn't which foreign buyers will get it but how to get it to the coast? Great news for US producers if they can do it: less competition with our oil and they'll still have to buy 5 BILLION gallons/year of US light condensate to blend with their crud.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 11:33:44

The BEST half!

Know how to tell the a defies in Hevan?

They are the ones who want to go home.

BTW, my other half is Piney.

Piney is a derogatory term that refers to native inhabitants of the New Jersey Pine Barrens. The Pine Barrens have sandy, acidic soil considered unsuitable for traditional farming by early settlers, who called the land "barren". The area is forested mainly with pitch pine and scrub oak. Many areas are swampy with cedar forests that grow along brownish-red, fresh water called "cedar water." The red color is actually created by the high level of iron in the water.

Living conditions in the "Barrens" were considered inhospitable, and those that lived there were considered to be the dregs of society, fugitives, poachers, moonshiners, runaway slaves or deserting soldiers. Often poor, Pineys were forced to make a living in any way possible. They collected and sold sphagnum moss or pine cones, hunted, fished, and lived off of the land. Some of the pineys included notorious bandits known as the Pine Robbers.

Pineys were further demonized after two eugenics studies in the early 20th century, which depicted them as congenital idiots and criminals, most notably the research performed on "The Kallikak Family" by Henry H. Goddard.[1] Pineys often fostered stories of how terrible the Pine Barrens are or how violent they were in order to discourage outsiders and law enforcement from entering the Barrens. The Jersey Devil stories often had this effect.

Today, pineys tend to wear the label as a badge of honor,[2] much like the term "redneck" has become in the Appalachian Mountains and the Southern United States.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 13:37:02

Newfie - BTW I'm probably one of the few here that has drunk newfie screech. I also drank pulque...once...a rough version of mezcal. But many of us were once young and foolish. LOL.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 19:00:04

One thing about those Pineys; they're too freakin' lazy to quote a source properly.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Synapsid » Thu 04 Aug 2016, 21:56:05

Newfie,

I'd guess that you know John McPhee's fine book on the Pine Barrens, but if you aren't familiar with it it's well worth a look.
Synapsid
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Oct 2019, 17:04:07

Is PM Justin Trudeau about to get me-tooed?

trudeau-rumored-be-talks-suppress-potentially-career-ending-sex-scandal

Rumor has it Trudeau and the libs are trying to get the woman victim to sign a NDA about something to do with Trudeau in blackface seducing his students when he was a teacher. Apparently that kind of thing goes on all the time In canada, so probably nothing to worry about for trudeau.

PM Justin Trudeau of Canada .... meet the "Me-too" movement.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 08 Oct 2019, 17:30:16

Rumor has it Trudeau and the libs are trying to get the woman victim to sign a NDA about something to do with Trudeau in blackface seducing his students when he was a teacher. Apparently that kind of thing goes on all the time In canada, so probably nothing to worry about for trudeau.

once again playing the illiteracy card.....good job at it.

Trudeau has been shown to have donned blackface on three separate occasions back when he was teaching in high school (pictures, witnesses etc) and that is several week old news. This is seen as being totally inappropriate and many in Canada view it as racist. Some do not (largely Liberal supporters) and that is largely to do with the differences in culture between the US and Canada with the latter having people willing to look past stupidity of youth. I believe this isn't the case with people outside of Quebec and Ontario. And Quebec tends to be a bit racist anyway as demonstrated by the Bill 21 issues.

The other issue (completely unrelated to the blackface incidents) is a rumor and nothing more. There has been no substantiation in the press and although it was also rumored that the Globe and Mail was set to release an article on this and were served an injunction against doing so, this has shown not to be true. So to this point in time, it is a rumor. If it were shown to be true Trudeau would have to resign as it is against the law in Canada for someone to run for office who has been charged with a felony and if it is a felony (which statutory rape is) an NDA is no longer binding.

There are many here who wish this was true as he is certainly an embarrassment to the country on a number of counts and has zero understanding about business or economics. But unlike in the US we tend to wait on the evidence before convicting a leader in the court of public opinion.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 08 Oct 2019, 21:25:18

rockdoc123 wrote:. If it were shown to be true Trudeau would have to resign as it is against the law in Canada for someone to run for office who has been charged with a felony and if it is a felony (which statutory rape is) an NDA is no longer binding.

Is there a statute of limitations on statutory rape in Canada?

If there is, then Trudeau couldn't be charged even if the Globe and Mail find the nerve to publish the story because this rumor relates to things that supposedly happened years ago, just like the episodes of Trudeau making an ass out of him by wearing blackface and capering and prancing about happened years ago when he was just a callow youth.

blackface....once....no twice.....ok...three times....%$#^& there may be more.... heck I lost count!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 08 Oct 2019, 23:46:00

Is there a statute of limitations on statutory rape in Canada?

only for summary offenses. For any criminal act there is no limit, you could be charged many years later. So Trudeau (or anyone else) would not get a pass on this if it were true.

If there is, then Trudeau couldn't be charged even if the Globe and Mail find the nerve to publish the story because this rumor relates to things that supposedly happened years ago, just like the episodes of Trudeau making an ass out of him by wearing blackface and capering and prancing about happened years ago when he was just a callow youth.

If there was an injunction against the Globe and Mail they could not publish even if they wanted to. Usually, such injunctions even keep you from discussing the fact you have an injunction. Nothing to do with what "nerve" they might have as publishing when there is an injunction would mean most of the management would be out of a job tout suite and subject to criminal charges. The Globe and Mail tends to be a pro-Liberal paper but if there was something illegal that happened they would probably cross the line as they tended to do during the SNC Lavalin issue (although that didn't seem to do any good). Also the Globe and Mail is not like the Enquirer or some of the more questionable rags in the US and UK. It does try to uphold high standards of journalism (albeit somewhat biased ones) so would not go about publishing rumors without a fair bit of evidence and sources willing to be identified.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 00:12:59

If there was an injunction against the Globe and Mail they could not publish even if they wanted to.

The news story (see link in my post above) says nothing about an injunction. The newspaper article says the Trudeau and his political party are desperate to stop the story from coming out and are negotiating a NDA with the victim. Presumably that means paying her off the way Trump paid off Stormy Daniels.

But the two situations are different. Stormy Daniels is an adult stripper while Trudeau's rumored victim was supposedly an underage girl at a school where he was a part-time teacher and sex-crazed Lothario in black face.

Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau putting the moves on some underage girls

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:57:05

The news story (see link in my post above) says nothing about an injunction. The newspaper article says the Trudeau and his political party are desperate to stop the story from coming out and are negotiating a NDA with the victim. Presumably that means paying her off the way Trump paid off Stormy Daniels.

Your "news report" is a mention of an article from the "Buffalo Chronicle" which got the information from a tweet by someone who seems to have started this (Warren Kinsella) who noted that the story was about to be broken by the Globe and Mail but they were under an emergency injunction. Kinsella subsequently retracted both claims. At this point there is nothing else. Generally, where there is smoke there is fire or just smoke. This appears to be the latter.

Nothing of that posted regarding a 17 year old women has been supported with one iota of evidence, pure rumor and nothing more at this point.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 09 Oct 2019, 12:08:34

Children ask Justin Trudeau, "Why did you paint your face brown?"

justin-trudeau-blackface-canada-pm-asked-why-did-you-paint-your-face-brown

Its a fair question and one that has no easy answer for Canadian PM Justin Trudeau.

My guess is that Trudeau just likes to play "dress-up" games. He's still doing it.....recently he dressed up as an Indian. No brown face this time, but he's still playing at "dress-up."

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 10 Oct 2019, 15:24:38

EdwinSm wrote:I was interested that Zero Hedge focused on the sexual aspect :-D :) of the question and not on the one of supporting dictators. :roll: Maybe they felt the adverts were hitting to close to home and needed to change the subject.

It's zero hedge. So focusing on the negative, instead of the main message is par for the course. Their only goal is to try to project "bad news" in furtherance of the doom meme.

Clearly the message re why not support local vs. the mideast, re oil consumption isn't a new one for western countries, like, oh, say, the US.

But if Planty had represented the story THAT way, it wouldn't be a scintillating new thread, would it? What fun would the world be without misrepresenting things?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Next

Return to Peak Oil Discussion