Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

What Is Crude Oil, How Is It Formed?

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: What Is Crude Oil, How Is It Formed?

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 27 Sep 2019, 14:47:53

Welcome aboard.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Fri 27 Sep 2019, 23:16:43

Sinclarsorus wrote: The carbon from rocks and hydrogen from the breakdown of water form long chain hydrocarbons etc into what we know as oil.

Where did the carbon come from?

Try this
post1689.html?hilit=abiotic#p1689
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sinclarsorus » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 15:16:28

Pops wrote:
Sinclarsorus wrote: The carbon from rocks and hydrogen from the breakdown of water form long chain hydrocarbons etc into what we know as oil.

Where did the carbon come from?

Try this
post1689.html?hilit=abiotic#p1689

The carbon come s from graphite deep down in the crust of the Earth. It actually under certain conditions with heat a pressure forms form diamonds. About 15 percent of the elements found on Earth is carbon. Carbon basically forms the back bone so to speak of long chain Hydrocarbons found in crude oil anyway. Many different compounds are formed in the under ground forming process of oil in this theory. Magma heats the graphite and other carbon containing minerals deep under ground combining carbon with supper heated water from the Oceans that breaks down and combines with carbon in the rocks etc....At least that's the theory of it in a nut shell
Sinclarsorus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Pops » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 15:45:18

Elemental carbon is plentiful in the universe, but carbonates like limestone and organic carbon like coal make up most of the carbon in the crust, see carbon cycle. Wiki says graphite is organic as well: "Graphite occurs in metamorphic rocks as a result of the reduction of sedimentary carbon compounds during metamorphism."
Elemental carbon shows up as .03% here.
I'm a novice, my point is this seems like just another claim of abiotic oil.
Do you have a link or did I miss it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite
https://sciencing.com/minerals-make-up- ... 16149.html
https://www.thoughtco.com/chemical-comp ... nts-607576
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Sinclarsorus » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 16:46:10

Carbon had to come from somewhere for life to form as well etc. . . Look at diamonds, they can only form under high pressure and heat. So something is cooking down there besides diamonds.

Again even if the theory is valid I doubt its created at the rate we are using it, so Peak Oil would still be valid theory even if it happens a hundred years from now. Or we find ways to tap into this process like fracking and Oil sand kind of stuff did (A little bit of hope, but just a little though)

Otherwise we are basically cooked as far as civilization goes, no way we will be able to power humanity unless Zero Point energy is discovered real soon.

It looks like 2050 will be about the time that the spicket runs dry of oil. Even then that may be too optimistic a length of time we have left. I will be 90 years old then if I make it that far, so. :o

What is funny about all this is, after centuries of development in science and technology, humanity runs out of gas just at the time we were starting to get good. Is that it? We basically invented the internet just in time to talk about the end of mankind as he runs out of oil. I might be too negative, but it is ironic the Peak Oil might be the end game after reaching such a point in humanity.
Sinclarsorus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby diemos » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 20:11:05

diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sinclarsorus » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 20:44:15

^ Thanks - good video

This video has a lot about Abiotic petroleum - where oil maybe made deep underground from carbon sources and hydrogen etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piSCvb1Dy3g

Would be nice if Abiotic Petroleum could bailout humanity in the future if it does exist. Some reports claim dead wells filled up again and were put back in production after 20 years out of operation. Why did they fill up again? Could Abiotic oil production underground be true? Basically producing new oil in short periods compared to millions of years.
Sinclarsorus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby diemos » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 21:53:44

Sinclarsorus wrote: Would be nice if Abiotic Petroleum could bailout humanity in the future if it does exist.

Yeah, flying skittles pooping unicorns would be nice too. If only they existed ... which they don't.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 23:36:27

would someone please direct this person to the Abiotic Oil thread?
I get tired of revisiting this every year. It's not like there is any credible new evidence and the solid evidence against it is somewhat immutable.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pawantanwar » Tue 04 Jul 2023, 08:09:14

Crude oil is an organic fossil fuel formed millions of years ago when ancient plants and animals became trapped under layers of sedimentary rocks and were subdued under pressure and heat for millions of years before eventually turning into crude oil.

As for sweet versus sour crude oil production, our current output includes more sweet crude than before (although exact numbers might have fluctuated since my last update in 2021). Some sweet oil may still exist but much of its easily accessible supplies have already been exploited while extracting and refining sour reserves may prove more complex and time consuming than anticipated.

Substituting sour gas with sweet might require costly refinery upgrades and could potentially have some environmental ramifications depending on how effectively countries manage their regulations and pollution laws.

China, India and South America use both sweet and sour oils depending on what's available to them.

Saudi Arabia does blend both sweet and sour crude to meet customer demand; however, I cannot conclude this proves anything about their reserves being exaggerated.
pawantanwar
Wood
Wood

Unread postby amberelle » Fri 20 Oct 2023, 21:39:32

"Examining the reservoir rock of the world's biggest oil field was for me a thrill bigger than climbing Mount Everest. A small part of the reservoir was dolomite, but the most of it turned out to be a fecal-pellet limestone. I had to go home that evening and explain to my family that the reservoir rock in the world's biggest oil field was made of shit."
A quote from HUBBERT'S PEAK by Ron Patterson
amberelle
Wood
Wood

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion