Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Super Rich Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 05 Sep 2019, 16:25:34

Read it and weep (or rage, or whatever...I don't really care), rich mo'fo's!

:)

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2019/09/the-ri ... EnB4kMuqc0

The Rich Against Nature

...While the wealthy have an ever more dazzling array of green consumer products at their fingertips, the impact of those gadgets is nothing compared to the overall ecological destruction wrought by luxury consumption habits.

A new paper called “Measuring the Ecological Impact of the Wealthy: Excessive Consumption, Ecological Disorganisation, Green Crime, and Justice,” published by researchers Michael J. Lynch, Michael A. Long, Paul B. Stretesky, and Kimberly L. Barrett, takes a long hard look at the role of the rich’s consumption habits in destabilising the climate.

The researchers contend that when a person has vastly more money than they need to live, “acquiring property and consuming excessively become marks of distinction, and to earn those marks, the leisure class must consume.” This leads the rich to buy, build, and operate things like superyachts, super homes, luxury cars, and private jets. It would take an awful lot of Powerwalls to offset the damage done by the proliferation of these luxury consumables.

The researchers estimate that there are about three hundred superyachts in operation around the world. A person has to have individual wealth upward of £25 million in order to afford even the smallest one; the upper price is close to £1 billion. These things guzzle oil and spew pollution. Tally it up, and the world’s superyacht fleet uses over thirty-two million gallons of oil and produces 627 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions a year — all of it for the personal enjoyment of the extremely rich. The world’s superyachts consume and pollute more than entire nations...

...And, finally, there are private jets. There are about fifteen thousand of them registered in the United States alone. The entire fleet is in operation a total of 17 million hours per year, burning roughly 345 gallons an hour. Jet fuel produces twenty-one pounds of carbon emissions per gallon. That means that the carbon footprint of the United States’ private jet fleet is about fifty-six tons per year. The entire nation of Burundi produces less than half the carbon emissions than the US elite does with its private jets alone — to say nothing of their luxury cars, their super homes, and their superyachts...
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Re: The Super Rich Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 05 Sep 2019, 18:34:16

https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/get-inv ... rich-am-i/

So there you go Doboi, YOU are the problem!!! :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 05 Sep 2019, 21:11:19

Never said I wasn't

But the article cited and quoted from (thanks for obviously not even glancing at it) discusses the 'super rich'--the folks who have multiple, enormous homes, jet planes, super yachts...

I'm afraid I'm not quite in that league. And I'm guessing few if any here are.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Thu 05 Sep 2019, 23:31:30

Class jealousy is so low brow.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby clif » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 00:34:41

Class jealousy is so low brow.

Nice way to IGNORE the simple fact the rich do more to destroy the earths climate than the poor do ...

I would expect nothing less than this from ya cog,

ignore the real issue with your ignorant simple minded posts ...... that defend the indefensible while excoriating those who point out the obvious if any real cognition and compassion is used.
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby diemos » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 00:39:49

It's a team effort. Everyone is doing their part.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 07:12:07

Clif,

Depends upon how you count. There are a few, very few super rich. Yes they have their toys and are often very wasteful. But then there are maybe a billion who are moderately well off and many of us also are very wasteful. Not to the extent of the super rich but still far more wasteful than we need to be. Then there are many billions who desire to have more and be just as wasteful as the top tiers.

Here the rub. Let’s say you could take all the money away from the super rich and give it to the poor, what would happen? The super rich “wealth” is tied up in investments, it’s sitting there not doing much if anything. The super rich spend a small fraction of that “wealth.” If you could give it to they poor they would spend it immediately (for good reason) and that would unleash a torrent of climate change gases and other pollution.

So it’s equally valid to say that the super rich are acting as a break on our consumption.

My personal economic theory is a bit more complicated than that presented above. And I do not support the excess consumption, but then I don’t support the excess consumption by the better off class either.

What very much annoys me is the villainization of any particular class of assigning blame. But more so of absolving ones self from blame, from looking inward to see where you personally may improve.

These threads labeled “XXX is Killing the Earth” are just cheap propaganda tactics. The greater or more general problem is that we, humans, do not respect limits.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 08:53:34

Oh, just read the f'n report.

Just the yachts of just the super rich of the US produce more carbon pollution than entire nations. So it doesn't matter that they are few. They can STILL manage to consume and pollute a hell of a lot more than millions of others put together.

Yes, nearly all have played a role. But harping on that is a false equivalence.

It's like a huge pig crashes into a poor families home and eats nearly all their food except for a few crumbs that fall by the way side. But then when the family scrambles to eat these last few bits, the pig exclaims proudly, "See, the family had as much to do with they're running out of food as I did!"

It's actually a pathetically self- (or rich-) serving argument.

But it is rather heart warming that the poor, oppressed super-rich have such brave defenders among the ranks of posters here! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzsR6PX7huU
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 11:10:33

Well dohboi I guess your options are to tax the super rich into oblivion or just kill them. Nothing surprises me about far left solutions when it comes to income redistribution schemes.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 14:45:57

The researchers estimate that there are about three hundred superyachts in operation around the world. A person has to have individual wealth upward of £25 million in order to afford even the smallest one; the upper price is close to £1 billion. These things guzzle oil and spew pollution. Tally it up, and the world’s superyacht fleet uses over thirty-two million gallons of oil and produces 627 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions a year — all of it for the personal enjoyment of the extremely rich. The world’s superyachts consume and pollute more than entire nations.

Round numbers here:

33,000,000/300=100,000 gallons of oil/vessel/year

Now how did they come up with that number?

From what I can see the vast majority of these yachts hardly ever move. They sit in port, floating private hotels.

The USA alone has 276,000,000 cars. If each one uses 1 gallon a day that is
100,740,000,000 gallons per year. That’s 3,000 times what these yachts use, in the USA ALONE.

(OOPS - I guessed low)

In 2018, about 142.86 billion gallons (or about 3.40 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, an average of about 391.40 million gallons (or 9.32 million barrels) per day.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=23&t=10

In the WORLD there are about ONE BILLION cars.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 16:12:25

Cog wrote:Class jealousy is so low brow.

Whining about "the rich" and ignoring their contributions via their jobs, their taxes, etc. is great far left sport.

In fact, pretending attacking the "rich" will magically cure all US ills is the basic premise of the far left loon show running for POTUS.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 06 Sep 2019, 16:53:49

Cog, not I just want to shrink them down to the size that they can be drown in a bath tub! :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby clif » Sat 07 Sep 2019, 00:40:12

Depends upon how you count. There are a few, very few super rich. Yes they have their toys and are often very wasteful. But then there are maybe a billion who are moderately well off and many of us also are very wasteful.

Thus we are "rich" compared to the other 6.5 billion people on the planet,

and my quote stands.......
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Charlespah » Wed 11 Sep 2019, 12:22:40

Married at age 25 or so and staying married to the same person for 50 years is definitely not the norm.

Lots of people just opt to not have children to ruin their lives for them,these days.

I think very few people actually like their job, no matter what it pays ?
https://www.winterisnotcoming.org/restoration-hardware-bedding/
Charlespah
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 13 Sep 2019, 16:03:14

Charlespah wrote:Married at age 25 or so and staying married to the same person for 50 years is definitely not the norm.

Lots of people just opt to not have children to ruin their lives for them,these days.

What does staying married for 50 years have to do with the rich ruining the planet?

What does whether people like their jobs have to do with ruining the planet?

I'm not saying you have no point -- I'm saying I don't grasp its relevance re this topic.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 14 Sep 2019, 13:14:31

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Charlespah wrote:Married at age 25 or so and staying married to the same person for 50 years is definitely not the norm.

What does staying married for 50 years have to do with the rich ruining the planet?

What does whether people like their jobs have to do with ruining the planet?

I'm not saying you have no point -- I'm saying I don't grasp its relevance re this topic.

In my experience a lot of "upper middle class" and above income people either stick with a single child or no children at all because kids make it hard to entertain themselves with lavish lifestyles. This is not always the case of course, but I do see it a lot where the Doctors and Lawyers kids I went to school with were only children. Some of them were just fascinated by the fact that I had six siblings and the emotional support network that came with those familial ties they lacked.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 13:00:02

(I put this in Tourism thread, but it really belongs here)

1% of people cause half of global aviation emissions – study

Exclusive: Researchers say Covid-19 hiatus is moment to tackle elite ‘super emitters’

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-covid-19
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 13:39:45

People who have too many kids are killing the planet! If we had less people we could ALL be rich! Literally!
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby REAL Green » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 14:04:54

JuanP wrote:People who have too many kids are killing the planet! If we had less people we could ALL be rich! Literally!

Please JuanP, just because you got a vasectomy does not mean you are not killing the planet. What about your high energy, high impact Miami Beach lifestyle. People like you are killing the planet too.
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mousepad » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 14:13:26

dohboi wrote:(I put this in Tourism thread, but it really belongs here)

1% of people cause half of global aviation emissions – study

Exclusive: Researchers say Covid-19 hiatus is moment to tackle elite ‘super emitters’

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-covid-19

I'm wondering if we kill those 1%. Will that solve the problem or will 1% of the 99% remaining gladly step up and replace the 1% just killed?
mousepad
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate