Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage

Re: Greta Thunberg

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 17:47:26

Plantagenet wrote:What kinds of fun are OK and what kinds of fun have too large a carbon footprint?

See my signature for the answer.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 19:47:03

You left out the crocodile tears from people who buy new EVs imagining they are doing something good for the environment but are totally ignorant of the extraordinarily large carbon footprint required to manufacture a new EV.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 20:07:59

Even Greta Thunberg herself can't escape the problem of CO2 emissions related to her travel. Greta sailed from Plymouth England to New York on a borrowed yacht from Monaco named the Malisia II ---- and Greta has claimed that her trip emitted zero carbon emissions. But her trip required several people to sail the boat for her, and these people travelled to the yacht by plane before the trip and will return from New York City to Europe by plane after the yacht reaches New York.

When you add up the flights being taken by the crew of Greta's yacht in order to get on the yacht and transport her, the carbon footprint for her trip is 3-5 times larger then it would have been if she had just flown over herself.

co2-row-over-climate-activist-thunbergs-yacht-trip

Greta's yacht trip to New York resulted in much more CO2 being released then if she had just flown.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Wed 28 Aug 2019, 20:57:37

Plantagenet, projecting.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby shortonoil » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 08:50:15

Who the hell is Greta Thunberg? Is her daddy still paying on the yacht, or did The Friends For Wayward Porpoises come up with the money via crowd funding. Think it goes to prove that there are more intelligent porpoises in the world than there are intelligent people.
shortonoil
False ETP Prophet
False ETP Prophet

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 09:32:02

Greta's done more in a few seconds to raise awareness of the GW crisis than all of you @$$holes together will do in your whole lives, so stf up and go get a life!

(And that's all I have to say about that! :) )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 09:38:41

Greta's done more in a few seconds to raise awareness of the GW crisis than all of you @$$holes together will do in your whole lives, so stf up and go get a life!

why am I not surprised that you get your climate change views from a 16 year old who doesn't take any science and indeed doesn't even go to school? Guess that explains everything. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 10:09:32

rockdoc123 wrote:

why am I not surprised that you get your climate change views from a 16 year old who doesn't take any science and indeed doesn't even go to school? Guess that explains everything. :roll:

Better to not have a degree and be able to use one's noggin effectively than have a degree and not be able to :-D
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 10:22:35

Not to mention that the yacht itself is largely made from oil products.

I doubt Greta has educated anyone about CC. It is a successful publicity stunt butnit an exercise in awareness. And it may backfire as folks see the hypocrisy in the act, much like Al Gore.

Climate change is an extremely serious issues that needs to be dealt with by the adults in the room, not the populist mob.

Now if we could just identify some adults!
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 10:23:22

Better to not have a degree and be able to use one's noggin effectively than have a degree and not be able to :-D

Let's see ....she claims to be able to see CO2 with the naked eye. If you call that "using one's noggin effectively" I'm not surprised you are a follower. :roll:
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 11:22:05

rockdoc123 wrote:

Let's see ....she claims to be able to see CO2 with the naked eye. If you call that "using one's noggin effectively" I'm not surprised you are a follower. :roll:

That's stupid. ANYONE can SEE how much we are polluting the Earth except those wedded to the conservative ideology that somehow elevates personhood/selfishness above any other consideration.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyages

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 16:35:44

lpetrich wrote:There is an alternative to air travel for crossing oceans: hitching a ride on a freighter. Freighter Bum - Admiral Judd's Adventure on the High Seas is a nice site on someone's adventures aboard a freighter.

Boat travel is very inefficient.....pushing the boat through the water requires a lot of fuel and releases a lot of carbon.

If you want to rank trans-Atlantic travel in terms of carbon efficiency, air travel would probably be best and would release the least carbon, then comes boat travel by freighter, then last and worst would come Greta Thunberg being ferried across the Atlantic on a private yacht whose crew required multiple separate airplane flights to meet the yacht and then more airplane flights to fly home after the sail, all so Greta Thunberg could falsely claim she didn't release carbon (when actually her travel by private yacht resulted in the release of much more carbon then if she had just gotten on a plane and flown).

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 16:35:48

That's stupid. ANYONE can SEE how much we are polluting the Earth except those wedded to the conservative ideology that somehow elevates personhood/selfishness above any other consideration.

What's stupid is tying your understanding of climate change to a 16 year old who claims to actually see that invisible gas CO2 with the naked eye. But knock yourself out. :roll:

So how exactly do you propose to SEE an invisible gas? Or are you talking about actual real pollution rather than additions of CO2 (a required gas for life to exist) to the atmosphere?
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 29 Aug 2019, 16:59:45

If deniers hater her this much, she must be doin' somthin' right!! :)

The Misogyny of Climate Deniers

https://newrepublic.com/article/154879/ ... te-deniers

As Thunberg approached America, she was followed by a tsunami of male rage. On her first day of sailing, a multi-millionaire Brexit activist tweeted that he wished a freak accident would destroy her boat. A conservative Australian columnist called her a “deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement,” while the British far-right activist David Vance attacked the “sheer petulance of this arrogant child.”

In the U.S., former Trump staffer Steve Milloy recently called Thunberg a “teenage puppet,” and claimed that “the world laughs at this Greta charade,” while a widely shared far-right meme showed Trump tipping The Statue of Liberty to crush her boat. We can expect a surge of similar attacks in the U.S. as she arrives in New York this week.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 05:11:14

Is that your desire, to be hated?

Perhaps it’s not that people hate her but the hypocrisy of it. Sure deniers jump into the fray.

It’s not that I hate her, as I said I’m sure she has good intentions.

What I dislike is that it gives red meat to the lunatic denier fringe and drags the discussion away from the substance of the matter.

It’s a publicity stunt, a way to manipulate the masses rather than teach them.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 07:57:24

Newfie wrote:Is that your desire, to be hated?

Perhaps it’s not that people hate her but the hypocrisy of it. Sure deniers jump into the fray.

It’s not that I hate her, as I said I’m sure she has good intentions.

What I dislike is that it gives red meat to the lunatic denier fringe and drags the discussion away from the substance of the matter.

It’s a publicity stunt, a way to manipulate the masses rather than teach them.

+1
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 10:57:02

substance of the matter

I thought the 'substance of the matter' is precisely that the older generation is discounting the future of the younger generation?

If that is not the issue, then I am deluded.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:53:43

jedrider wrote:
substance of the matter

I thought the 'substance of the matter' is precisely that the older generation is discounting the future of the younger generation?

Well with the girl, the issue is more nuanced. To what degree is she actually a ploy that absolves them from concrete action. I would prefer our leaders forging binding forceful ambitious climate treaties than trotting out this largely symbolic young girl.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 12:36:33

jedrider wrote:
substance of the matter

Back in the day the hippies used that card against the establishment. “ WE WILL BE DIFFERENT!” Yeah, right.

The substance of the matter is that we, humanity, is in overshoot and is killing the planet and drilling holes in our lifeboat. We need to figure out what a sustainable level is and a way to get there.

That is bigger than climate change. And no one wants to address it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Fri 30 Aug 2019, 12:56:57

Newfie wrote:
jedrider wrote:
substance of the matter

Back in the day the hippies used that card against the establishment. “ WE WILL BE DIFFERENT!” Yeah, right.

The substance of the matter is that we, humanity, is in overshoot and is killing the planet and drilling holes in our lifeboat. We need to figure out what a sustainable level is and a way to get there.

That is bigger than climate change. And no one wants to address it.

I thought you would like her mode of transportation at least! Did you see how fast that boat goes? 30 knots! I think it's as least as important to get people aware that a safe, keel boat can go that fast! We could use some of that technology and know how to move people in a low carbon way around from city to city when it gets bad.
https://www.imoca.org/en/imoca/boats/ma ... -de-monaco
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate