Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Iran Thread Pt. 6

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 18:18:00

Yes, once we find a place to base our nuclear weapons that are housed there. That should be the priority.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 18:32:27

I can't see this potential alliance between Russia, Iran and Turkey going anywhere. They might coordinate their actions in Syria, but I can't see much happening beyond that.

Iran is Shia. Turkey is Sunni.

Its like cats and dogs.

Shia and Sunni extremists both think the other side are apostate scum who should be exterminated, and this causes problems for any partnership or alliance between Sunni and Shia states.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 19:29:14

On February 14, 2019, leaders from three of Eurasia’s major powers met at Russia’s Black Sea resort of Sochi to discuss Syria. In attendance were the host, President Vladimir Putin, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani.

Sometimes practical considerations trump ideology. Especially when coordinated by someone with a big stick.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 19:41:18

Cid_Yama wrote:Sometimes practical considerations trump ideology. Especially when coordinated by someone with a big stick.

When it comes to the Muslim sects I think examples of that are few and far between.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

British Oil Tanker Seized by Iran

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 14:39:32

So they did it:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383
War or no war?
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: British Oil Tanker Seized by Iran

Unread postby Cog » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 15:07:19

Is it a US flagged vessel? Then no. The UK, who has continually bad mouthed the USA, can send their own fleet to deal with it.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 15:19:24

Britain have millions of Muslims within its borders, may alligned with Iran.
War would be interesting.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:06:35

Cog wrote:Is it a US flagged vessel? Then no. The UK, who has continually bad mouthed the USA, can send their own fleet to deal with it.

Unless Trump, who seems to have been showing signs of spoiling for a fight with Iran in recent months, IMO, wants to use this as the excuse.

If it comes to a war between the US and Iran, I just hope all the US neglect of internet vulnerabilities re things like utilities, doesn't lead to some potentially VERY ugly consequences for things like the grid.

Oh, and let's not even talk about activation of various terror cells.

You can't prevent all asymmetric security risks with warships and missiles.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:09:15

Apparently Iran have captured second british tanker.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ed-by-iran
Brits must do something because within few days all their tankers will be in Iran.
But what to do?
Their carrier is not seaworthy... it leaks.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:12:53

Interesting situation for Trump. So far beyond acting beligerantly he has been pretty pacific. My thinking is Iran is betting he has no guts for war.

A lot will depend upon USA political reaction. Will Americans rally?

Interesting stuff.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:13:43

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Cog wrote:Is it a US flagged vessel? Then no. The UK, who has continually bad mouthed the USA, can send their own fleet to deal with it.

Unless Trump, who seems to have been showing signs of spoiling for a fight with Iran in recent months, IMO, wants to use this as the excuse.

If it comes to a war between the US and Iran, I just hope all the US neglect of internet vulnerabilities re things like utilities, doesn't lead to some potentially VERY ugly consequences for things like the grid.

Oh, and let's not even talk about activation of various terror cells.

You can't prevent all asymmetric security risks with warships and missiles.

Iran doesn't look for me suicidal.
They are certainly taking into account possible risk of war with US.
What if *there is* a secret pact with China and/or Russia to strike american interests in concerted fashion, should US attack?
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:17:46

Newfie wrote:Interesting situation for Trump. So far beyond acting beligerantly he has been pretty pacific. My thinking is Iran is betting he has no guts for war.

A lot will depend upon USA political reaction. Will Americans rally?

Interesting stuff.

I am concerned about spreading mental disease on the West and possibility of erratic or ill calculated reactions.
Existing western elites are IMO mentally not fit to deal with stress.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 16:21:01

The other thing is that the IK is in a funny position with May stepping down and being in a transition period.

This may well effect who becomes the next PM on July 22, if I am correct.

The timing is well chosen.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 17:38:19

Voting for the PM closes on the 22nd July, new PM announced on the 23rd he will then immediately take office.
By this stage almost all the votes will already be in, so this event wouldn't change anything.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 18:46:31

I saw a news report that Iran is secretly offering to allow US inspections of their military sites if the US will resume negotiations and move towards a new nuclear treaty and the end of US sanctions.

Certainly that would go a long way towards fixing the idiotic Obama treaty that did not allow inspections of Iranian military sites for nuclear weapon materials.

Perhaps there is a way out of this mess.....if we can start moving towards a new US-Iran treaty that actually restricts Iranian nuclear weapons production, then we would be on a path towards peace. Iran agrees to a real treaty that will restrict their nuclear program, including inspections, the US agrees to drop sanctions, and we just say no war with Iran.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 19:40:35

The hypocrisy is something to behold. Since the UK gives itself the right to seize Iranian tankers shipping oil to Syria, Iran can act likewise. No amount of bitching and moaning from the UK and its pals can remove that fact that the UK engaged in piracy when it
seized the Iranian tanker. And don't invoke the BS "laws" passed inside the US or its minions. These laws have zero legitimacy outside their borders.

To think that the US let Daesh/ISIS steal Syrian oil via massive truck convoys to Turkey and Iraq and now tries to limit the flow of oil to Syria as it occupies Syria's prime oil producing territory to the east of the Euphrates. The US engages in piracy of Syrian oil in Syria, while its poodle, the UK, engages in piracy of oil bound for Syria on the high seas.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 19:41:52

Thanks Dolan, the UK methods of choosing a PM are new to me. In the histories I read the PM selection method is always unclear. When did they actually start taking a vote? What did they do before?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 21:11:09

The postal vote started about three weeks ago and only Tory party members can vote, they can vote anytime during that four week period, but their votes must be in by the end of 22nd July, counting on 23rd and the winner takes up office almost immediately.

Looks like Boris will get a baptism of fire if this issue isn't resolved by then.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 03:49:35

Plantagenet wrote:I saw a news report that Iran is secretly offering to allow US inspections of their military sites if the US will resume negotiations and move towards a new nuclear treaty and the end of US sanctions.

I suspect here North Korean negotiating strategy.
All what they need is to buy some time to build a dosen or two dosens of nukes sufficient to annihilate Israel few times around.
At this point Trump and US in general will have to back down.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 06:58:11

You really think that Iran glassing Israel won't result in Iran being erased from the planet?Israel has nukes too.

What the Iranians are currently doing with this ship seizure and acts of terrorism is to force the US into dropping sanctions. That approach will not work with the USA, at least not with this administration. But Iran has no other real military options other than piracy. Their military could be destroyed within days if the USA wished it to be so. So far, the Iranians have not directly attacked US warships or US interests. The Global Hawk shoot down notwithstanding. If that changes, the Iranians will find out what a real military is all about.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Discussion