Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

how would you explain climate change and weather to kids?

Re: how would you explain climate change and weather to kids

Unread postby Karle » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 18:32:46

No problem with explaining the weather to the kids. When I tell them no reason to worry about the climate, however, it is more difficult. But after some time of explaining they start to understand that man does not change the climate.
Once they are around 15 years old brain wash has already worked and it gets more difficult.
Karle
Peat
Peat

Unread postby GHung » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 19:19:25

Karle wrote:No problem with explaining the weather to the kids. When I tell them no reason to worry about the climate, however, it is more difficult. But after some time of explaining they start to understand that man does not change the climate.
Once they are around 15 years old brain wash has already worked and it gets more difficult.

Biology has affected climate for billions of years. Why is "man" (biological creature) excluded from that reality?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby phaster » Sat 06 Jul 2019, 19:58:37

my dialog “pitch” experiment on a catholic forum about climate change is over (at least for me),... but it did give me some insight(s) as to how other people view the issue

just like any religion (i.e. catholic, islam, etc.) there are partisan believers and partisan non believers in climate change,... as well as those that are basically disinterested in the topic

consider my self somewhat knowledgable about the topic of climate change having had an opportunity to learn (decades ago) about the basic science from pioneers in the field of CO2 measurements,... but alas ran into plain old human nature, where individuals think of themselves as being above average (DISCLOSURE on occasion I do tend to make that assumption myself)

anyway WRT the actual dialog,... didn’t feel like I was hearing anything I have not heard before so figured it was time for swan song “post(s)” that basically encapsulate my overall thoughts on the issue,... also shared the sign that made me believe mankind was actually capable of changing the climate on a global scale

https://forums.catholic.com/t/what-do-y ... 554065/291

https://forums.catholic.com/t/jesus-com ... /556646/64

FWIW I became a believer of manmade climate change when I read a paper about “global dimming” and did some basic calculations looking at the amount of CO2 produced per day based on the daily number of barrels of oil consumed, then thought about the fact that CO2 stays in the atmosphere for a pretty long time

…actually kinda curious about what sign made others a believer in “manmade climate change”

anyone?
Given the great chasm that divides believers
AND non-believers of “man made climate change”
let’s hope that people figure things out, before it’s too late!!!

www.TinyURL.com/HowBigIsTheEarth
phaster
Coal
Coal

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 09 Jul 2019, 00:36:00

phaster wrote:
…actually kinda curious about what sign made others a believer in “manmade climate change”

anyone?

I didn't even know about it until the year 2000 when Gore lost the election to Bush via the arbitrary Supreme Court decision. So, I saw Gore's movie and I thought that was silly that changing our light bulbs was going to save us. Upon a little research, I came to the 'unfounded' conclusion that our civilization has mere decades before the consequences become dire. I thought that if we did something, we would buy ourselves more time, like an extra 20 years or so, which I thought was a good 'bargain' as things go.

I now realize that I didn't know NOTHING back then, but intuitively, I think I naively hit the nail on the head. It wasn't hard to convince me.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 09 Jul 2019, 00:38:55

..., there is no scientific consensus regarding the impact of climate research on the scientists performing it. It hasn’t been studied in a systematic way.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/07/weight-of-the-world-climate-change-scientist-grief/

Kind of sad when you can't even explain it to adults without them breaking down. I think the children have it easier, for now.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Mon 15 Jul 2019, 03:19:37

If you are going to explain the climate change to kids then how would you explain the next question - " why did you bring me into this world"?
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 15 Jul 2019, 09:58:50

Yonnipun wrote:If you are going to explain the climate change to kids then how would you explain the next question - " why did you bring me into this world"?

I can't even explain why I want to be alive after the age of 65. I'm just months away.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate