Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Happy Talk

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Happy Talk

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 08 Jun 2019, 10:17:13

Congrats! Taking control of your life, good.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby careinke » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 04:32:44

Cog wrote:Since February 7th I've went from weighing 249 lbs. to my weight today of 212. I've done this by embracing a low carb diet, walking an hour a day, and joining a local weight loss club. My goal weight is 180. I feel amazingly better physically and mentally. Getting compliments by the women in our weight loss club doesn't hurt either. I'm pretty happy about all of this.

Awesome! Nice job!

I just recently hit 182 lbs from my all time high of 237. So I've gone from an "Obese" BMI, through "Overweight" BMI, to a "Normal" BMI. :) I've met my initial goal, but I will probably continue until around 170, just at a slower rate.

My motivation was a high risk of diabetes, cancer, and late onset Alzheimer's. In addition, my toes started tingling...

My dietary path progressed from Paleo, to Keto, to finally Keto combined with a 6/18 hr Intermittent Fast (plus a couple of 3-4 day fasts). We also produce or forage most of our vegetables, berries, eggs, tree fruit, mushrooms, and herbs.

I get most of my exercise in the garden or on beach walks. I have to say I feel a lot better, and the tingling in my toes is gone.

Intermittent Fasting works pretty well for me (once I got over the sugar addiction). My one meal a day is around 6-7 PM, that's when I break my fast with a high fat, low/no carb meal. If I have carbs during my six hours I try to eat them at the end of the eating period. Oh, during your fasting period, you should continue with drinking water, teas, black coffee etc. just nothing with calories.

I've been doing a lot of research on this stuff and it is pretty interesting. I would suggest if anyone else is interested in this approach, to search "Intermittent Fasting" on youtube.

Anyway COG, I wish you so much success you will get tired of it.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Cog » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 07:54:55

As part of my annual wellness exam, I had the standard blood panel done for sugar and cholesterol. So this Tuesday, I'll see how I compare with a year ago when I was eating eating the standard carb heavy American diet.

Something I've noticed in our weight loss group. Of the ones who are at goal weight or near it, most of them have adopted a low carb approach. The ones who are still struggling after years of trying to drop weight are still trying portion control. Now I get that in the end its still all about how many calories you take in versus how much your body needs but low carb is simply easier to do. Seems healthier as well as our bodies are adapted to the foods in the outer aisles of the grocery store rather than the chip and soda aisle.

@careinke Congrats on your own success. The water is a very important element of either keto or paleo.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 14:41:56

Interesting observation about my own weight fluctuations. Here in Panama engaged in running a resort and farm everyday is so full on that eating is this quick intake of calories as I come into the kitchen with a raging hunger. I always lose weight or maintain my weight at around 165lbs

Every year when we go back to the USA and after the first week of looking after our property eating then becomes this recreation, this diversion, this entertainment. After a month of this idleness and feeding as entertainment I gain 10-15 pounds.

How much of the weight problem is caused by the sheer fact that we are under stimulated, under worked physically, not engaged doing activities with which we have a passion. How much of obesity is caused by boredom vs carbs or no carbs or sugar or beer or 64oz fructose corn syrup sodas or processed food or hormones or antibiotics in our meat and milk or all the other million theories out there.

How much of obesity is just plain old boredom????????
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 15:29:54

Boredom and depression. I’m about 210 and 5’11. So I’m just below 30 BMI. But weight bumps up and down depending upon what I’m doing. Not a lot, and the overall trend has been slowly down year to year. Was about 235 at one time.

I’m personally convinced obesity is a strong sign of depression. When you loose control that’s depressing. Regaining control is empowering.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 07:42:45

The blood panel came back and the doctor and I talked about it. Blood sugar, kidney, and liver function all perfect. BP 140/67 which is great for a 61 yr old man. Total cholesterol went up and we talked about that. Yes I'm eating more fat but I'm losing fat and cholesterol is being released into my blood stream. In her opinion she believes cholesterol will go down when I reach goal weight.

A problem which is most likely not a problem has developed though. The xiphoid process is a small extension of bone just below the sternum. That is very prominent now with my weight loss. It looks like a lump but its solid like cartilage. I have not been this thin for most likely two decades so I'm not sure if it looked like this before. So in an abundance of caution, she recommended and I concurred in a CT scan with contrast to check it out. According to weight loss and body building sites, this is common and I almost didn't bring it up to her and its not real noticeable unless I arch my back. Sternum cancer is a real thing and if you want to horrify yourself you can look it up like I did. LOL.

But anyway, I'll spend a week or so in suspense over something most probably not an issue.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Thu 20 Jun 2019, 04:25:09

Ok the results of CT scan with contrast came back. No masses found, chest unremarkable. I had to look up what unremarkable means in medical lingo, as it sounded vaguely like an insult. But it means the chest was normal. For anyone who has ever had a procedure like a colonoscopy or this CT scan to look for problems, you are very much stressed waiting on the results. Spent the morning in thrift stores looking for short sleeve Polo shirts and found three. I was a happy shopper.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 20 Jun 2019, 07:16:39

Ha! Had an MRI of my head. Report said that I had experienced “a normal amount of brain shrinkage for the patients age” and an “old injury”, which was a mini-stroke, gift from my ex no doubt.

Congrats on your report. Live long and prosper.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 21 Jun 2019, 14:03:52

A week ago I departed in my summer trip. I got waylaid by an engine problem, which thankfully turned out to be diminutive. None-the-less I lost my weather window, so I’ve been stuck in St Anthony for a week.

My Wife, bless her soul, drive 11 hours to spend time with me and in case I needed wheels. With the engine fixed we got to do some sight seeing, yesterday we saw several moose and one caribou and various ice bergs. Tomorrow we are day tripping to the old Basque whaling station in Red Bay, Labrador. Earlier we went back to L’anse aux Meadows, always a great visit. Here’s the visitor center earlier this week.

[attachment=0]4D41EDA2-3514-47B2-AB62-08C761E75E2D.jpeg[/attachment]

With luck it looks like a new window is opening for Tuesday so I’m hoping to get back in the water then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 22 Jun 2019, 12:45:54

Didn’t make it to Red Bay, when we got to the ferry it was closed due to gale force winds. It was a 1-1/2 hour trip, each way. But, on the first hour over we saw 1-coyote, 2-cars, and 3-moose. :-D

Also we found out that there was a polar bear at Cook Harbor one week ago. We were through there on Thursday last. On the ferry over from North Sydney I met the guy who builds the polar bear proof busses they use for tourists in Churchill.

Been an interesting trip so far.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 22 Jun 2019, 18:37:31

I've taken up a new sport called pickleball. Its played on a smaller court then tennis, and you play with a racket and not a paddle. Its like a cross between ping pong and tennis. The sport is growing rapidly across the country right now....its pretty easy to find people to play. I've joined a "pickleball club" and about 25 of us get together 2-3 times per week and play. The county painted pickleball lines for courts on the concrete floor of our outdoor hockey rinks, so we play outside in the summer and in the gym in winter.

Its great for getting some exercise and staying healthy. You've got to twist and stoop and stretch to hit the pickleball and You need decent reflexes to play because the balls come across the net either very slow or at lightning speed if someone can slam it. There is a small amount of running around but you never have to run too far because the courts are so small. I usually play in foursomes, and after each game the losers sit down and two new people come and play, so there is a lot of intereaction and social contact.

There are enough people in the club that someone is always leaving on a trip. Its very easy for me to leave for 3 weeks to go to Europe or Antarctica or whatever and come back and slot right back into playing with the club.

Did I mention it is very very healthy? My last blood pressure reading was 115-65 and my doc and I are both totally happy with that.

pickleball is played on small pickleball courts

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 02:15:39

Plantagenet wrote:There are enough people in the club that someone is always leaving on a trip. Its very easy for me to leave for 3 weeks to go to Europe or Antarctica or whatever and come back and slot right back into playing with the club.

Ah, the joys of continuing to pollute the atmosphere...and thanks to cognitive dissonance, you can claim to care about global warming at the same time!

happy happy joy joy

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-Billions are on the verge of starvation as the lockdown continues. (yoshua, 5/20/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 09:47:23

ASG,

Knock off the personal attacks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 10:38:17

Attended a Catholic Mass with my female friend. Coming from a fundamentalist protestant background, it was very different but interesting. I'm Happy the building didn't fall in and I was not smoted by God.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Happy flix on the net.....

Unread postby Whitefang » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 15:05:06

Yes, we should not forget there is a whole movement towards the light of fearlessness, working and living together as we should, even taking only what we need. I have been consuming over the top almost all my life though, room for improvement :oops:
Our children are excused, they automaticly copy their parents weaknesses.

Funny Netflix, Happy.....hunting down child trafficers, is happening in real time, ask Trump.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ha ... &FORM=VIRE

From the twisted minds that gave us Crank!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Cr ... ORM=VDRVRV

Anyway,
Thinking about a happy message, a true love story of finding Atlantis, the holy grail, beating the devil......why not?
I am beginning to think that it is the only way out of this mess.
You might think that I have lost my mind, gone bezerk, lost it completely.....ask asg! hihi.

Reading "Ridders van nu" Belgium guy on esotheric occult groups from before the pyramids, to clubs that rule the show now.
They should get rid of rites and rituals, masters and so on, just live life impeccable, right use of energy and you can see for yourself.
Strive for excellence as Guy McP. tries to teach, like Plato tought and Socrates saw directly. Atlantis here we come!
Just know how to get there, that is all, just the driver with a message. 8)
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 29 Jun 2019, 09:19:01

Well my summer trip got cancelled. I restarted my trip from St Anthony with a nice weather window, it was to be a 6-7 day crossing, that’s a long solo but something I’ve done before. The short story is into the second day the engine crapped out. I was able to limp home at idle speed, of course sailing when I could.

What is interesting is that I experienced a deep ( and I mean deep) depression that Was induced simply by my physical conditions. There was very little wind and a rough sea-state left over from the storm. The water was between 35-40°F, heavy fog and when it did clear a bit there were bergs. So I was motoring slowly keeping a 15 minute radar watch. Once the weather cleared on the way back I felt much better and had one day that was very pleasurable.

I didn’t expect this depression that or even think it possible simply from my physical situation. If I ever attempt this kind of thing again I’ll need to remind myself of this danger and somehow prepare to mitigate it or tolerate it.

But... AI learned something about myself and that is worthwhile in itself.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 30 Jun 2019, 14:01:58

Yo Newfie:

Its a total bummer your engine broke down right at the start of a spectacular trip.......that would depress anybody........

I'm totally impressed that you are doing long single-handed passages and have figured out a way to spend months at a time cruising the Caribbean. What a glorious thing to do. One of my dreams was to get a big sailboat and sail the world, but I'll have to be happy with my sailing my Hobie Cat on my lake in the summer and doing my world travel via trains, ferries and planes (and the occasional expedition class cruise ship with an ice-strengthened steel hull).

Please get that engine fixed on your sailboat and start planning the next trip so we can all vicariously enjoy your next sailing journey.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 02 Jul 2019, 16:15:49

Figured out problem #1 today. Took the exhaust manifold off as it was passing NO water at all. Completely blocked passages. Which is not unusual on a raw water cooled engine, especially one that is 37 years old.

Mechanically cleaned them today, will try to do an acid soak tomorrow. Gaskets on order for final assemble will take a week to arrive.

Next to locate the transmission oil leak.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 09:02:14

Thought I would share what I was watching this morning at 6:00am while having a cup of Mount Totumas Coffee. See the link below to the blog post.

We are right up on the continental divide and sometimes a rising air mass drifting up from the Pacific will meet with an air mass drifting over the divide from the Caribbean. The results can be down right religious!

http://blog.mounttotumas.com/?p=3106
Patiently awaiting the pathogens. Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 03 Jul 2019, 10:59:55

ibon, are you contemplating selling that coffee online? I am a caffiene fiend and currently enjoy a combination of PNG (Papua New Guinea) and Tanzania Peaberry, and sometimes Kona when it is gifted to me. I am sure your beans are unique and I'm interested.

FYI I can roast small amounts (I use a hot air popcorn popper) and then grind the beans by hand, and use either a Melita drip filter or a classic Bialetti coffee maker on the stove for European style.

This IS "Happy Talk" for me, by the way. If the rest of you are not interested, I will take this exchange into PMs.

I liked your video. Sometimes back in Silicon Valley, when I was awake early in the morn, I would breakfast early and take the "long way" to work, through the Almaden Valley and Almaden-Quicksilver Park. The Santa Cruz mountains gleamed in the dawn light, and sometimes the Sun would illuminate a river of clouds flowing through the Watsonville gap or even Almaden Valley itself, from the Pacific marine layer.

It was indeed, a religious experience.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion