Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 9

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 9

Unread postby eclipse » Wed 29 May 2019, 04:47:47

I love that they've kept the same London red. Here's to keeping some design references to the old and traditional, while updating it to the new. Now if we could only restore the 'village green' (as some British citizens used to refer to the town square) and a sense of New Urban vitality around that, we might even have communities again! A mix of slowly increasing electric vehicle numbers (with some autonomous taxis as they conquer that pesky weather problem?) and recapturing a sense of public transport, trolley buses, and clever town design, and we can recapture not only some energy efficiency and climate solutions, but also a sense of home.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 17:11:10

Audi recalls its EV SUV due to battery fire risk

audi-recalls-its-electric-suv-over-battery-fire-risk/

This is very good news. Battery fires have been a problem for Tesla and other EV and PHEV manufacturers for years. Its good to see AUDI stepping up and admitting they have a potential problem with EV battery fires, resulting in a recall of all of their EV SUVs.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 18:33:10

Plantagenet wrote:Audi recalls its EV SUV due to battery fire risk

audi-recalls-its-electric-suv-over-battery-fire-risk/

This is very good news. Battery fires have been a problem for Tesla and other EV and PHEV manufacturers for years. Its good to see AUDI stepping up and admitting they have a potential problem with EV battery fires, resulting in a recall of all of their EV SUVs.

Cheers!

From your link:

An Audi spokesperson told Bloomberg that NO fires had been reported over the 1,644 E-Trons Audi has sold. According to the recall, Audi found moisture can seep into the battery cell through a wiring harness. There have been five cases worldwide where this has caused a battery fault warning.

Emphasis mine to expose what could be construed as a lie of omission. From one who accused me of lying on another thread. One who also continues to ignore that current statistics show that EV fires have occurred at a much lower rate than with conventional ICE vehicles.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 20:00:09

GHung wrote:....one who accused me of lying on another thread.

I accused you of lying because you lied. You used the quote function and then you changed what was in the actual quote to some dopey thing you wanted to say. Intentionally isrepresenting what other people say is lying.

After you altered the quote I asked you not to do it, but for some reason that made you angry and this is now your third subsequent post on this topic.

Is it too much to ask that you not change what people say when you use the quote function? Its dishonest, OK?

There are only about 12 people posting here now and there is plenty of opportunity here for you to say whatever you want to say without you having to alter quotes and misrepresent what other people are saying.

I suggest you read what other posters say and then politely engage in conversation with others if you want to engage in discussion on the topics. If you want to say something make a post under your own name like everybody else does. Your tactic of misrepresenting what people actually say just leads to these kinds of back-and-forth exchanges, i.e. a total waste of time.

For the third time, can we please just discuss the thread topics now? THANKS!

ChEeRs!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 10:14:07

Plantagenet wrote:For the third time, can we please just discuss the thread topics now? THANKS!

ChEeRs!

Sure. You got those stats on all those people being incinerated inside their Tesla's yet?
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 10:18:35

I am trying to switch the wife from her Tesla requirement to this VW. I want one, it has the right combination of space and power and coolness and I love the retro style of it. Plus, when it spontaneously combusts, there are plenty of windows and doors to escape through in order to not be incinerated like Planty says happens to those poor Tesla drivers!

https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/future ... -electric/
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 10:35:32

Jaguar is now recalling its new EV over concern about its regenerative braking technology

jaguar-ipace-recalled-over-fire-braking-risk

Its interesting to see companies trying to compete with TESLA in the EV space facing technological hurdles and issuing recalls over safety concerns. Thats why competition is good----as long as TESLA had the EV space pretty much to themselves runaway thermal events (i.e. fires) in the battery systems and other safety issues seemed intrinsic to EV cars. Now we see TESLA's competitors are making an effort to address their safety issue through recalls.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 14:19:25

Plantagenet wrote:Jaguar is now recalling its new EV over concern about its regenerative braking technology

jaguar-ipace-recalled-over-fire-braking-risk

Its interesting to see companies trying to compete with TESLA in the EV space facing technological hurdles and issuing recalls over safety concerns.

It is interesting to see that you can't find any reference to all those Tesla owners who sit there like lumps in their car seats while their Tesla bursts into flames and incinerates them. Can you please tell us when you are being serious about EVs rather than just making up crap because you don't like them and have zero experience with using them because hey...making stuff up is just how you roll?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 19:02:16

AdamB wrote:It is interesting to see that you can't find any reference to all those Tesla owners who sit there like lumps in their car seats while their Tesla bursts into flames and incinerates them.

But I did find a reference and I posted about it in the Tesla thread. You've ether forgotten it or you evidently didn't understand what you were reading.

Lets try again.

You apparently missed all the news reports and then you overlooked or just didn't understand my post discussing the ongoing lawsuit against TESLA brought by the family of a young man who died when the Tesla he was in burst into flames and incinerated him and another teenaged boy.

Its quite a tragic case.

Here is more info about it: the careening car hit a wall, the NTSB report says, the Tesla “erupted in flames.” This started a preventable “thermal runaway,” according to Chicago-based transportation attorney Phillip Corboy, representing the Monserratts with Fort Lauderdale’s Scott Schlesinger.

“The two battery packs in the car contain hundreds of small batteries that power everything on the car,” Corboy said. “If one of the batteries catches fire, every battery around it catches fire in short order.”

And an electrical fire burns differently from a gasoline or oil fire. Water and foam do not knock the fire out. As the NTSB report says, after using 200 to 300 gallons of water and foam in an attempt to extinguish the burning car, the battery blazed up again on the tow truck. It ignited again in the storage yard, requiring fire rescue workers to put it out.

The suit says Tesla should have treated the battery with “intumescent material to provide protection from the propagation of thermal runaway from one cell to adjacent cells.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... rylink=cpy

And its not the first lawsuit against Tesla over issues with their battery technology. Tesla previously settled a class action lawsuit on this very same problem, but the problem still persists.

Get it now?

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 13:28:48

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:It is interesting to see that you can't find any reference to all those Tesla owners who sit there like lumps in their car seats while their Tesla bursts into flames and incinerates them.

But I did find a reference and I posted about it in the Tesla thread. You've ether forgotten it or you evidently didn't understand what you were reading.

Lets try again.

Sorry. According to you previously we didn't need to slam cars into walls or decapitate their owners prior to bursting into flames, you implied that Teslas burst into flames while sitting there all innocent like, and this happens so quickly that the poor owners, stunned by this design flaw of spontaneous combustion, were all innocently incinerated.

How about we discuss those victims, rather than the usual run of the mill, transport hits solid object, fuel ignites, people burn stories, brought to you by ICE powered machines, aircraft, ocean liners, motorcycles, jet skiis, race cars running something other than gasoline, etc etc.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 13:47:49

Plantagenet wrote:“The two battery packs in the car contain hundreds of small batteries that power everything on the car,” Corboy said. “If one of the batteries catches fire, every battery around it catches fire in short order.”

I've read articles and seen Youtube videos about how the large batteries are supposedly compartmentalized into modules, and each module should be able to contain any fire to a moderate and manageable size within the module -- at least under ordinary circumstances.

So, I can understand how this can get out of control after, say, a high speed accident which inflicts a lot of physical damage on a battery module's containment.

What I DON'T und erstand or find acceptable at all is how such horrific fires/explosions occur when such a car is say, just charging, or sitting in a garage, etc. To me, if they can't contain a fire within a module and prevent large fires, explosions, etc. -- then they need a completely different design.

And this goes for all BEV makers, not just Tesla.

In fact, this goes for HEV makers too.

As I was writing the last sentence above, it prompted me to search for Toyota Prius battery fires, given Toyota's long history with HEV's.

It seems the venerable Prius has its own fire issues re the traction battery, as per 2018 recalls.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rec ... fire-risk/

Toyota is recalling 192,000 of its 2016 to 2018 Prius hybrids sold in the U.S. because of a fire risk. Wiring in the front of the vehicle could wear over time and cause a short circuit, which the automaker said could cause a fire.

The recall is part of a larger campaign that includes more than 1 million vehicles worldwide, the majority sold in Japan.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/05/news/c ... index.html

CNN Business on the same 1 million Prius recall story.

And these are cited as being in 2015 to 2018 model Prius cars, per Consumer Reports. So this is a dangerous defect -- not something from a 10 or 15 year old car where excessive wear occurred somewhere.

So -- this certainly suggests to me that a whole new look at the situation, and set of standards need to be put in place for EV battery safety, given the potential for high intensity events (such as explosions or very large fires), from EV batteries, especially as EV's become common, and age.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 13:57:50

AdamB wrote: you implied that Teslas burst into flames while sitting there all innocent like

Thats because Teslas have been known to burst into flames while sitting there all innocent like.

Just a couple of weeks ago a model X burst into flame while sitting at a supercharger in Belgium. Before that cars have burst into flame while parked along a street or sitting in a home garage. There is even a video of a Tesla bursting into flames while parked in public parking garage.

Now would you please answer a question for me? Why don't you know your facts on this kind of thing? You claim to be a Tesla owner but you know surprisingly little about them.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Thu 13 Jun 2019, 22:15:47

I see Plant is continuing to attention-whore this thread, making it all about him and his need to be condescending to other posters. Just ignore the guy until he eventually finds a new shiny object to fixate on.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GHung » Sat 15 Jun 2019, 12:29:33

Of course, Planty won't show you the hundreds of videos of regular ice cars catching fire and exploding, statistically at a much higher rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uiaZoMEqYY

That would make Planty nauseous due to his/her literally puking confirmation biases. Planty would rather accuse others of lying when they call out the blah, blah, blah nature of his/her comments.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 17:05:45

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote: you implied that Teslas burst into flames while sitting there all innocent like

Thats because Teslas have been known to burst into flames while sitting there all innocent like.

Your video doesn't show the surprised occupant sitting there inside innocently while it was happening. How many videos of that happening do you have to substantiate your prior claim?

And please don't claim that you are were mentally unstable when you claimed it because of a late night session of grief counseling with Guy.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 19:34:23

GHung wrote: ....hundreds of videos of regular ice cars catching fire and exploding

IF you want to post hundreds of videos of regular ICE cars catching fire and exploding, then go ahead and post your videos. But please put them in a thread about ICE vehicles where they belong.

This thread is intended for the discussion of EVs.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby GHung » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 21:18:26

Plantagenet wrote:
GHung wrote: ....hundreds of videos of regular ice cars catching fire and exploding

IF you want to post hundreds of videos of regular ICE cars catching fire and exploding, then go ahead and post your videos. But please put them in a thread about ICE vehicles where they belong.

This thread is intended for the discussion of EVs.

Cheers!

I'll accept your surrender, Planty.
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 16 Jun 2019, 22:40:05

The Honda E, a very cute EV city car, is now available for pre-order in Europe. It looks a little like a Fiat 500.

honda-e

With a range of ca. 125 miles its designed mainly for urban driving and commuting. Very small cars like the Honda E are very popular in Europe but I don't know if Honda is planning to release the Honda E in the US where most people want larger cars and trucks.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 17 Jun 2019, 07:58:41

GHung wrote:I'll accept your surrender, Planty.

Funny how fixated he's become on EVs while having no shortages of excuses why he'll never buy one.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology