Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Guy McPherson Pt. 1

Re: Guy McPherson

Unread postby Revi » Fri 24 May 2019, 08:07:36

I don't really want to defame the dead, so I won't talk any more about Mike Ruppert. Getting back to Guy McPherson he is a little on the edge, but some of what he is saying is possible. Feel free to dis away, since Guy is still around!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 27 May 2019, 10:04:29

Revi wrote:I don't really want to defame the dead, so I won't talk any more about Mike Ruppert.

The facts of one's life is defaming no one. It isn't defaming Lincoln to say he was directly involved in the deaths of a quarter million Southerners.

I've got no objection to leaving his general misogyny, geological and technical incompetence out of any discussion involving him.

Revi wrote:
Getting back to Guy McPherson he is a little on the edge, but some of what he is saying is possible. Feel free to dis away, since Guy is still around!

I don't need to dis on Guy, after he claimed civilization would end because of peak oil circa 2014, well, he seemed to pick the time period when the US shale revolution would take over the world instead. He then left my area of interest, admittedly fleeing it faster than many doomers of the time, so we have to give the guy credit for having more functioning synapses than the likes of peak oilers in general. In any case, why is it that the svengali types always seem to turn it to their sexual advantage?

Are you aware that one of claims that the Arctic could be ice free? Last September? And that would cause the collapse of civilization? Or do you have some other claim of his that strikes you are more credible? Such as that civilization will end this coming September (4 months from now) when the Arctic goes ice free?

Do you agree with his requirement on the NTHE facebook page that you must want to believe in and participate in polyamory? I wonder why? :lol:
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Tue 28 May 2019, 08:57:44

AdamB wrote:
Revi wrote:
Getting back to Guy McPherson he is a little on the edge, but some of what he is saying is possible. Feel free to dis away, since Guy is still around!

I don't need to dis on Guy, after he claimed civilization would end because of peak oil circa 2014, well, he seemed to pick the time period when the US shale revolution would take over the world instead.

Are you aware that one of claims that the Arctic could be ice free? Last September? And that would cause the collapse of civilization? Or do you have some other claim of his that strikes you are more credible? Such as that civilization will end this coming September (4 months from now) when the Arctic goes ice free?

Here's what he said about peak oil back in 2008:
https://guymcpherson.com/2008/02/its-ti ... -peak-oil/

He is all about fast climate crisis. I don't know what is going to happen exactly, but did a little thought experiment. Let's say we are like an ice coffee. We are being cooled by lots of ice and stay cool until the ice melts. It takes 80 calories of heat to melt one gram of water. That same 80 calories takes the water to 80 degrees C! That is close to boiling. If we are all staying relatively cool thanks to the ice up in the arctic then we are going to heat up quickly when it melts. It's really close to melting now! If not this year, maybe in the next few years we could see a blue ocean event. It will get warmer quicker since that gets rid of the albedo effect as well, since there wouldn't be any sunlight reflected, but instead it will be absorbed into the dark colored blue ocean water, which goes on heating up. Our ice coffee world will have melted all the ice, and be on the way to becoming a hot coffee!

Guy might have a point. When that happens, it gets really warm really fast!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 28 May 2019, 11:19:16

Revi wrote: Here's what he said about peak oil back in 2008:
https://guymcpherson.com/2008/02/its-ti ... -peak-oil/

His peak oil as end of civilization was claimed for 2012 or 2014 (I forget which, videos just suck compared to written references).

Like I said though, he had at least the brains to get out early and look for a better story to tell, and you have to admit grief counselor to women is far cheaper and easier than just going to bars and plying them with liquor, right?

Revi wrote: He is all about fast climate crisis. I don't know what is going to happen exactly, but did a little thought experiment. Let's say we are like an ice coffee. We are being cooled by lots of ice and stay cool until the ice melts. It takes 80 calories of heat to melt one gram of water. That same 80 calories takes the water to 80 degrees C! That is close to boiling. If we are all staying relatively cool thanks to the ice up in the arctic then we are going to heat up quickly when it melts. It's really close to melting now! If not this year, maybe in the next few years we could see a blue ocean event.

Could be. It isn't as though the Arctic has always had a permanent ice pack, seems completely reasonable to me that there will come a time when it doesn't have one again. Guy said it was going to happen last year. And then offered up a hedge (perhaps from having learned from his peak oil bad call and the egg that left on his face?) for this September. We'll see, but I don't think that is the point. The point might be that he has these grief "counseling" gigs as often as a married man might!

Revi wrote: It will get warmer quicker since that gets rid of the albedo effect as well, since there wouldn't be any sunlight reflected, but instead it will be absorbed into the dark colored blue ocean water, which goes on heating up. Our ice coffee world will have melted all the ice, and be on the way to becoming a hot coffee!

Could be. And the Church might have a point as well, and we're all going to hell if we don't repent. "Might" being the operative word in the prior quote. Aliens might invade tomorrow as well. A gamma burst might happen this evening. And so on and so forth.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Revi » Tue 28 May 2019, 13:41:50

AdamB wrote:Could be. It isn't as though the Arctic has always had a permanent ice pack, seems completely reasonable to me that there will come a time when it doesn't have one again. Guy said it was going to happen last year. And then offered up a hedge (perhaps from having learned from his peak oil bad call and the egg that left on his face?) for this September. We'll see, but I don't think that is the point. The point might be that he has these grief "counseling" gigs as often as a married man might!

Revi wrote: It will get warmer quicker since that gets rid of the albedo effect as well, since there wouldn't be any sunlight reflected, but instead it will be absorbed into the dark colored blue ocean water, which goes on heating up. Our ice coffee world will have melted all the ice, and be on the way to becoming a hot coffee!

Could be. And the Church might have a point as well, and we're all going to hell if we don't repent. "Might" being the operative word in the prior quote. Aliens might invade tomorrow as well. A gamma burst might happen this evening. And so on and so forth.

I don't think you are paying attention. "Could be" that you are thinking up all sorts of flimsy reasons not to believe in reality. Any real information to disprove these theories? The arctic has had a permanent ice pack for about the last 120,000 years.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 28 May 2019, 18:00:21

Revi wrote:I don't think you are paying attention. "Could be" that you are thinking up all sorts of flimsy reasons not to believe in reality.

I am well aware of reality. And pay attention. The reality of folks making false claims, the reasons why doing so might be advantageous, etc etc.

Revi wrote:Any real information to disprove these theories?

What theory? An ice free Arctic is not a theory, it is historical fact. The planet being currently cold compared to its history? More fact. The fact that it is warmer now than it was during the Little Ice Age? I believe that is a fact as well. The Holocene being an interglacial? New York City once being under a mile high ice sheet? And it not being coal fired powerplants that melted it? All facts Revi.

Do you have a reason why you think that basic geologic facts and history are theories? Or why you even consider something happening again, the Arctic not having permanent ice, a theory? Seems to me that along some time frame or another, it is a certainty.

Guy "Let's Do A Little Luvin' At The End Of The World" McPhee isn't doing theories, he pulls information from the science rags and strings it together in a way that sounds quite scary. Just like he did using peak oil to claim the end of civilization half a decade ago.

At what point does Harold Camping theories hold the same weight with you as Guy's?

Revi wrote:The arctic has had a permanent ice pack for about the last 120,000 years.

So? New York City was under a mile of ice more recently than that, which seems far more interesting. Your home state was buried under ice as well. Swans island is nothing but a remnant of topography from those glaciers I imagine. Global warming made your sailing life in the summer possible! And now you are scared of it, when you have profited from it so mightily?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 May 2019, 17:56:35

AdamB wrote: The planet being currently cold compared to its history? More fact. The fact that it is warmer now than it was during the Little Ice Age? I believe that is a fact as well. The Holocene being an interglacial? New York City once being under a mile high ice sheet? And it not being coal fired powerplants that melted it? All facts

You seem to believe that because the planet's climate has changed through time and about 10-12,000 years ago warmed naturally due to orbital mechanics at the end of the ice age, it can't be warming now due to greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere.

Really, thats not very logical. The physics of Greenhouse gases have been understood for over a century now. There is no question that putting more CO2 into the atmosphere warms our planet.

AdamB wrote: New York City was under a mile of ice .... Your home state was buried under ice as well.....Global warming made your sailing life in the summer possible! And now you are scared of it, when you have profited from it so mightily?

Paleoclimatic records and supercomputer numerical models both tells us that the world will become a very different place as global warming unfolds over the next decades. Some predictions include an ice-free Arctic, more intense hurricanes and typhoons in the oceans, more intense cyclones in the American mid-west, more intense heat waves, longer and more intense forest fires in the American west and other areas, rising sea levels, more droughts in some areas, more floods in others. Personally, I think I see many of these effects already.

Anyone with common sense would naturally be concerned about the possibility of such dramatic changes affecting our global environment.

AdamB wrote: Guy McPherson....

Guy McPherson is at the extreme end of concern about AGW, and he has been concerned and outspoken about the effects of global warming for maybe 20 years. While Guy does currently run a little business based on his predictions of doom, it hasn't always been a winner for him. Guy was forced out of his tenure track academic position at University of Arizona and for some years lived off the grid in poverty. McPherson isn't really a climate scientist himself. He is more a compiler of the science on this topic. He is analogous to Rachel Carson, who gathered information and raised alarm about the ill effects of DDT and other pesticides even though she wasn't a chemist herself. Rachel Carson was ridiculed in her day for warning about DDT, and McPherson is ridiculed now for warning about global warning.

Its never easy to make predictions, especially about the future (thats a quote, by the way). But Guy McPHerson isn't the only one warning us about AGW. About 95% of all scientists (including me) see AGW as a big problem, although not always as severe a problem as Guy McPherson sees it being.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 May 2019, 22:27:42

Plantagenet wrote:You seem to believe that because the planet's climate has changed through time and about 10-12,000 years ago warmed naturally due to orbital mechanics at the end of the ice age, it can't be warming now due to greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere.

If I wasn't clear in the quoted post, I have been in others. I'm betting that greenhouse gas emissions certainly have an effect on climate.

Plantagenet wrote:Really, thats not very logical.

Good thing then that you making up things you thought you heard that weren't said have nothing to do with me.

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote: New York City was under a mile of ice .... Your home state was buried under ice as well.....Global warming made your sailing life in the summer possible! And now you are scared of it, when you have profited from it so mightily?

Paleoclimatic records and supercomputer numerical models both tells us that the world will become a very different place as global warming unfolds over the next decades.

The world was quite a different place after the PETM. Quite a different place prior to the Holocene. Quite a bit different during the Holocene.

Some people just have this problem with things changing I guess.

AdamB wrote:Anyone with common sense would naturally be concerned about the possibility of such dramatic changes affecting our global environment.

Anyone who can read a paleoclimate book would naturally understand about the possibility of change in the climate. The Holocene A, B, Minoan, Roman or Medieval Warmings being just a few examples.

"Dramatic" is such a relative word, don't you think?

Plantagenet wrote:Its never easy to make predictions, especially about the future (thats a quote, by the way). But Guy McPHerson isn't the only one warning us about AGW. About 95% of all scientists (including me) see AGW as a big problem, although not always as severe a problem as Guy McPherson sees it being.

Cheers!

Guy McPherson didn't just warn about climate change, he told us civilization would end because of peak oil. Can you imagine that he was as ignorant on the basics of resource economics as..like Happy McPeaksters!? When that didn't work out, he switched over to NTHE memes, including the collapse of civilization last September with a blue ocean Arctic event. Quite a warning!

And you must be aware of the polyamory requirements he has nowadays? Much like Ruppert sold nonsense collapse claims for website subscriptions, you should see the places Guy travels to on his talking tours and the women! They must be grief counseled!
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 May 2019, 23:19:34

AdamB wrote:The world was quite a different place after the PETM. Quite a different place prior to the Holocene. Quite a bit different during the Holocene. Some people just have this problem with things changing I guess.

It rather depends on what the climate is changing into.

AdamB wrote:"Dramatic" is such a relative word, don't you think?

Dramatic is an adjective that means "sudden and notable." Its a common English word with a clear meaning. If you don't know what it means, I'll work with you until you can add this useful word into your own vocabulary.

AdamB wrote:Guy McPherson.... you must be aware of the polyamory requirements he has nowadays?...

Sorry, I know northing about that. I met Guy briefly when he was in Alaska a couple of months ago. He had his girlfriend with him on the trip. She was a nice young woman.....I thought Guy was lucky to have her.

CHEERS!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Wed 29 May 2019, 23:43:23

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:The world was quite a different place after the PETM. Quite a different place prior to the Holocene. Quite a bit different during the Holocene. Some people just have this problem with things changing I guess.

It rather depends on what the climate is changing into.

Only the ones who haven't picked up that paleoclimate book. Once you understand that the climate has changed before, and will change again regardless of human interference, then the choices are mostly adapt or terraforming our home planet to something we like better. An interesting idea I suppose, but would it be terraforming, or more like remodeling a home to suit its residents?

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:"Dramatic" is such a relative word, don't you think?

Dramatic is an adjective that means "sudden and notable."

I didn't say I was as stupid as an old school McPeakster and didn't understand the words meaning Planty. I said it was relative. Dramatic might be like a single volcano can rearrange the world's climate for a year or 3 all by itself, and certainly not centuries long cycles that humans are involved in? Or maybe you meant dramatic as something even more fundamental like a cosmic collision that erases humans in the odd afternoon? Because according to Ruddiman, our millennia of affecting the climate certainly can't be considered dramatic compared to REAL dramatic!

Plantagenet wrote: Its a common English word with a clear meaning. If you don't know what it means, I'll work with you until you can add this useful word into your own vocabulary.

Why thank you for pretending that I need help in understanding the meaning of words from your cherry picked context. Is trolling really as good as it gets anymore with you?

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:Guy McPherson.... you must be aware of the polyamory requirements he has nowadays?...

Sorry, I know northing about that.

Good for you because at least that means you didn't have to issue a statement like DGR did!

Plantagenet wrote:
I met Guy briefly when he was in Alaska a couple of months ago. He had his girlfriend with him on the trip. She was a nice young woman.....I thought Guy was lucky to have her.

CHEERS!

That was part of his most recent jet setting/traveling/ CO2 emitting adventures I heard. And I agree that the ladies he posted himself hanging out with on FB seemed proof enough of the success of his grief counseling gig. To imagine, that most old farts have to ply the fairer sex with alcohol at bars and all he needs to do is tell women the world is ending, they don't fact check the number of times or the changing reasons why or are naturally gullible, and then offer up some grief counseling and presto! No need for that bar tab!

Ruppert danced in front of the interns in his underwear and all that got him was a judgement related to Oregon labor laws. Admittedly, he was a halfwit compared to Guy, but still, Guy has his gig beat by more than just the difference in wits between himself and that crank.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 May 2019, 00:47:13

AdamB wrote: Once you understand that the climate has changed before, and will change again regardless of human interference, then the choices are mostly adapt or terraforming our home planet to something we like better.

Unfortunately there is another choice........humans can pump huge amounts of CO2, CH4 into the atmosphere and cause the planet to warm up at a dramatic rate and change our home planet into something we will like less.

AdamB wrote:I didn't say I was as stupid

People are often unaware of their own personal foibles.

AdamB wrote:Guy McPherson.... the ladies he posted himself hanging out with on FB seemed proof enough of the success of his grief counseling gig. To imagine, that most old farts have to ply the fairer sex with alcohol at bars and all he needs to do is tell women the world is ending, they don't fact check the number of times or the changing reasons why or are naturally gullible, and then offer up some grief counseling and presto! No need for that bar tab!

Why do you care who Guy McPherson takes pictures with for FACEBOOK? I mean really.....who cares?

CHEERS!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 30 May 2019, 08:05:44

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote: Once you understand that the climate has changed before, and will change again regardless of human interference, then the choices are mostly adapt or terraforming our home planet to something we like better.

Unfortunately there is another choice........humans can pump huge amounts of CO2, CH4 into the atmosphere and cause the planet to warm up at a dramatic rate and change our home planet into something we will like less.

Arguably, pumping CO2 into the air is a form of terraforming (we are choosing to consume and pollute, therefore we are also choosing the consequences, whatever they might be), and still not near as dramatic as what mother nature does on occasion. And our planet has already changed into something we like less, those paleo-Indians standing at the foot of that mile high ice sheet covering New England, you can just see the conversation. "Oh God"..they would say..."if this melts we are going to get all those dumbass liberals concentrated in one place and then we'll really hate what we've done to the world". On the flipside, we did get the entire country of Canada, and they are a net improvement to the world.

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:I didn't say I was as stupid

People are often unaware of their own personal foibles.

Indeed. Such as incessant cherry picking of words out of context in order to do what...troll? Is that all you have in you nowadays?

Planetagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:Guy McPherson.... the ladies he posted himself hanging out with on FB seemed proof enough of the success of his grief counseling gig. To imagine, that most old farts have to ply the fairer sex with alcohol at bars and all he needs to do is tell women the world is ending, they don't fact check the number of times or the changing reasons why or are naturally gullible, and then offer up some grief counseling and presto! No need for that bar tab!

Why do you care who Guy McPherson takes pictures with for FACEBOOK? I mean really.....who cares?

I don't care about Guy's facebook pictures. You aren't such a staunch defender of his recycled claims of doom because you went for a little "grief counseling" yourself while he was in the neighborhood?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 May 2019, 12:14:21

AdamB wrote:... those paleo-Indians standing at the foot of that mile high ice sheet covering New England, you can just see the conversation. "Oh God"..they would say..."if this melts we are going to get all those dumbass liberals concentrated in one place and then we'll really hate what we've done to the world".

Paleo-Indians did absolutely nothing that contributed to the end of the last ice age. In contrast, the CO2 and CH4 produced by modern man is the direct cause of the global warming we are seeing now.

AdamB wrote:...troll.......

You're the one calling people childish names, not me.

AdamB wrote:I don't care about Guy's facebook pictures.

Then why did you post your idiotic complaints about Guy McPherson's facebook pictures?

Sheesh!

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 30 May 2019, 12:25:16

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:... those paleo-Indians standing at the foot of that mile high ice sheet covering New England, you can just see the conversation. "Oh God"..they would say..."if this melts we are going to get all those dumbass liberals concentrated in one place and then we'll really hate what we've done to the world".

Paleo-Indians did absolutely nothing that contributed to the end of the last ice age.

I didn't say they did. Hell Plant, is that all you can do is PRETEND people said things?

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:I don't care about Guy's facebook pictures.

Then why did you post your idiotic complaints about Guy McPherson's facebook pictures?

The only reason I can think of...GOOD GRIEF!!! Those pictures didn't make you jealous did they? Oh please plant, you didn't fall for a wee-bit-o some grief counseling yourself did you? And now you are jealous of some of the other "counseled" folks?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 30 May 2019, 16:04:46

AdamB wrote: Those pictures ....

You're the one complaining in multiple posts about Guy McPherson's Facebook pictures, not me.

I'm the one saying you are an idiot to care about "those pictures."

Please try to remember what you just posted. If you are having trouble remembering things that happened just a short while ago, then kindly re-read your own latest posts to refresh your memory concerning what you just posted.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Fri 31 May 2019, 09:42:50

Getting back to what Guy McPherson is saying. Do you think we only have 12 years? Or can we figure something out? Will we all have to move to the northern tier of states? I'll bet those people in the expanded tornado alley are thinking about it lately. Hurricane season starts tomorrow. That's going to put a crimp in the Florida real estate market!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 31 May 2019, 13:30:56

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote: Those pictures ....

You're the one complaining in multiple posts about Guy McPherson's Facebook pictures, not me.

For the third time, I wasn't complaining. Go back and read for comprehension. I used those pictures as examples of how Guy seems to be far more successful with his grief counseling gig than the typical old guy plying someone with booze. Photographic evidence being quite wonderful to make the point.

You are willing to manufacture a different context why? Did you get tested after your own episode of grief counseling and now have something to be sensitive about in relation to his "counseling"?
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 31 May 2019, 13:38:02

Revi wrote:Getting back to what Guy McPherson is saying. Do you think we only have 12 years?

I certainly don't. Planty will undoubtedly make something up and assign it to me, or you, but that is nothing but a sign of an inability to work with the material given.

I didn't think we had 6 years when Guy claimed civilization was ending back in 2014 or so from peak oil, I didn't think we had a year or so left when he declared the end of civilization in September of 2018, and I certainly don't think he have 5 months until civilization ends according to Guy in September of this year.

Did he make up next another claim to try and escape his grief counseling victims claiming he is a fraud for having used all these other claims against them? Maybe we can ask Planty that question?

Revi wrote:Or can we figure something out? Will we all have to move to the northern tier of states?

Last I recall, you thought Maine was a disaster place to be, what with the political nonsense and what going on? Did you get a new guv-nah that changed that dynamic? Strikes me that your place on Swans Island is ideal for a getaway, you should be fine I imagine.

Revi wrote: I'll bet those people in the expanded tornado alley are thinking about it lately. Hurricane season starts tomorrow. That's going to put a crimp in the Florida real estate market!

If the folks in San Fran aren't concerned much about where they live, knowing it is coming and living there anywhere, the folks in tornado alley at least have the hit or miss aspect of tornadoes. The new age folks in San Fran don't.

I plan on being on the barrier islands of the Outer Banks in mid-September. I'll report in on what full blown hurricane season and sea level rise look like then. I don't figure it'll be much different from all the other times I've been there spanning 2 decades now.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 31 May 2019, 14:53:13

Revi wrote:Getting back to what Guy McPherson is saying. Do you think we only have 12 years?

Guy McPherson is at the extreme end of people worrying about the effects of global warming. I can well imagine that in 12 years we'll be seeing a lot more cyclones covering a lot more of the central US, and a lot more forest fires burning up huge parts of the western US and Canada and Siberia and Scandinavia etc., and more floods and more droughts and more heat waves and more sea level rise and more giant hurricanes and typhoons and less Arctic Sea Ice. All those things would have a bad effect on people and on the world's economy. But I don't think they would bring "doom" in 12 years.

So I asked Guy about that very question when he was in Alaska. Where is this doom in 12 years stuff supposed to come from?

Guy said the real thing to watch is the effect of global warming on the agricultural heartland of the USA and other agricultural areas around the world. When global warming started to affect crop yields and food production, then we will be facing a serious problem.

So I started watching the central USA.......and its putting on a hell of a show this year. Unprecendented floods.....areas that have been flooded for over a month, so the crops can't get planted. And now we are seeing record numbers of tornados covering an unusually large area of the midwest. This is exactly the kind of development that can create decreases in food production.

farmers-with-flood-damaged-crops-are-screwed

Maybe Guy is onto something there.....time will tell.

CHEERS!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 31 May 2019, 15:45:38

Plantagenet wrote:Guy said the real thing to watch is the effect of global warming on the agricultural heartland of the USA and other agricultural areas around the world. When global warming started to affect crop yields and food production, then we will be facing a serious problem.

So I started watching the central USA.......and its putting on a hell of a show this year. Unprecendented floods.....areas that have been flooded for over a month, so the crops can't get planted. And now we are seeing record numbers of tornados covering an unusually large area of the midwest. This is exactly the kind of development that can create decreases in food production.

Maybe Guy is onto something there.....time will tell.

CHEERS!

Except as I have myself pointed out elsewhere and has been shown a gazillion times around here

a) the weather in the midwest, floods and all, is not "unprecedented", we had worse spring weather when Clinton was in his first full year in office, just for one example.

b) This is a long term climate event mostly driven by the el Nino cycle with particularly intense events taking place every few decades. 1992-93, 1997-98, 2011-2012 and this year are all extremely warm wet summers driven by the cycle.

c) The whole 'record number of tornadoes' thing is VERY deceptive because over the years almost all tornadoes had to be spotted and reported by a trusted observer to be recorded as a tornado. More recently a lot of weather People are using Doppler radar returns to identify every circular motion in a thunderstorm as a bonified tornado even though they do not meet the traditional meaning of the terminology.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate