Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: SCOTUS Supreme Court of the United States Pt.2

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 12:25:56

President Trump on Tuesday released the names of the 51 nominees he intends to renominate to the federal bench, but there are now 163 vacancies, more than the 125 when he took office in 2017, causing consternation on the right.

“Democrats have reached an extreme low with their obstructionist tactics now involving smears and religious tests,” said Penny Nance, president and CEO of Concerned Women for America. “President Trump and Republicans need to expose this extremism for what it is and move forward immediately to confirm constitutionalist judges and fill the record number of judicial vacancies the nation faces.”

More than 30 judicial nominees had passed committee muster and were awaiting floor votes at the end of the year before Senate Democrats blocked them.

I posted this here because the overwhelming number of SCOTUS nominees serve as lower court judges first.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... urs-conse/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 28 Jan 2019, 14:23:56

If there's one thing Mitch McConnell and Trump have been very successful at, its nominating and confirming conservative judges to the federal judiciary.

List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Donald_Trump

There's no reason why they shouldn't continue to be successful. The Rs actually INCREASED their numbers in the Senate in the 2018 elections.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 04 Feb 2019, 19:37:07

Plantagenet wrote:If there's one thing Mitch McConnell and Trump have been very successful at, its nominating and confirming conservative judges to the federal judiciary.

List_of_federal_judges_appointed_by_Donald_Trump

There's no reason why they shouldn't continue to be successful. The Rs actually INCREASED their numbers in the Senate in the 2018 elections.

Cheers!

Thats a useful link, thanks for posting it.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 04:23:26

The appointment of new federal judges continues at a record pace. Lindsay Graham, the new Senate leader of the Judiciary committee is pushing out 44 more. For the most part the left has been pretty silent on the issue, but the impact of the Federalist Society on the Judiciary will be felt for decades. More at link:

https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2019/0 ... al-judges/

Thursday afternoon, the Senate Judiciary Committee headed by Lindsey Graham approved a slate of 44 judicial nominees for confirmation. This continues a fundamental reshaping of the federal judiciary by the Trump administration with the assistance of the Federalist Society.

As Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) pointed out in Thursday’s hearing, more than 80 percent of Trump’s judicial nominees so far are members of the conservative Federalist Society. For some context, she noted that less than 4 percent of all American lawyers are members of that group.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 14:10:07

As chaotic and disorderly as the Trump administration has been, his appointments to the federal judiciary and their confirmation by the Rs in the Senate have been a model of efficiency.

Hopefully Trump will also get at least one more SCOTUS appointment. The entertainment value alone of watching the Ds go ballistic is almost worth all the political angst that Trump has brought to DC.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sun 10 Feb 2019, 18:17:50

There were protests in and out of the hearing room and people beating on the Supreme Court doors during the Kavanaugh hearings. I'd say we are in for 10X the drama on the next one.

Bring popcorn.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Fri 17 May 2019, 09:46:02

I would say that the Federalist Society is the organization that really runs this place.
Here's the link to it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_Society

Donald Trump administration[edit]
According to Politico Magazine, "Trump is president for a long list of reasons, of course, but near the top of that list is the imprimatur the Federalist Society granted him. He almost certainly couldn't have gotten what he wanted without the Federalists. And they almost certainly couldn't have gotten what they wanted without him."[7]

The Federalist Society has been influential in the Trump administration, hand-selecting Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and recruiting a slate of conservative judges to fill vacancies throughout the federal judiciary.[31][32][9][25] The society helped to assemble the list of 21 people from which Donald Trump said he would choose a nominee to replace Antonin Scalia on the U.S. Supreme Court. Nine of the 21 individuals spoke at the society's annual convention in late November 2016, while nearly all of the others were in attendance.[33][34] Federalist Society members have generally chosen not to criticize President Donald Trump and Politico described the Federalist Society membership as "elite, conservative lawyers who have generally chosen to give Trump a pass on his breaches of long-cherished legal norms and traditions in exchange for the gift of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch."[32] Federalist Society executive vice president Leonard Leo said: "What President Trump has done with judicial selection and appointments is probably at the very center of his legacy, and may well be his greatest accomplishments thus far."[35]

In May 2018, the Federalist Society hosted a phone call entitled "examining the legality of the Mueller Investigation", where one of the featured speakers has argued that Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election is unconstitutional.[32]
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Fri 17 May 2019, 11:09:11

The most important legacy that Trump will have, even if he does nothing else, is to appoint conservative federal judges from the Federalist Society list. We will reap the benefits of that for decades.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 17 May 2019, 18:45:45

Cog wrote:The most important legacy that Trump will have, even if he does nothing else, is to appoint conservative federal judges from the Federalist Society list. We will reap the benefits of that for decades.

Possibly.

But the Ds are nothing if not persistent. They have a plan to pack the courts, allowing them to expand the number of judges sitting at the SCOTUS and at the appeals courts. The D plan is to appoint enough D judges to the the expanded SCOTUS etc. to enable the Ds to swamp the opinions of the other judges. Rather then the current 5-4 or 7-6 rulings from the bench we see today, under the D plan to pack the courts we'd get things like a 19-4 or a 21-6 ruling.

court-packing-ideas-get-attention-from-democrats/2019

Packing the court seems far-fetched but several of the current pack of D presidential candidates are supporting this D idea.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to North America Discussion